Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Roast Cauliflower Recipe

I tried a new recipe a few days ago that was pretty good, and very
easy and quick. I found it online but cannot remember where--too bad
because there were other interesting vegetable dishes.

Here's the original recipe:

Ingredients:
Medium head of cauliflower
4 tablespoons of butter melted
1/2 to 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper, cumin, cinamon, paprika (all to
taste), mixed with 1 tablespoon of sugar

Break the cauliflower into florets, place in a large bowl and toss
with the melted butter and then the sugar-spice mixture
Place in one layer on a cookie sheet
Bake at 500F for 20 minutes until the florets crisp and carmelize
Mound on a platter and sprinkle with coarse salt

We had it with roast lamb and salad. It was really easy to make and
everyone liked it. I thought it was too oily though, and I didn't see
that the sugar added anything to the flavor.

Next time, I am thinking to try maybe 2 tbls of olive oil and leave
out the sugar. I would add a lot more chili and maybe cumin or anise
seed as well. Do you real cooks out there think it would still
carmelize without the sugar? I can live with browned.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Jacquie" > wrote:

> I just like Steamed Cauliflower with melted butter and a bit of salt and
> pepper. Guess I'm one of those people that don't need sauces My Husband
> on the other hand has to have BBQ or steak sauce on every thing

I enjoy plain old steamed or boiled cauliflower, too. I also love a
nice cauliflower au gratin or in a lovely cauliflower and potato dish I
used to make out of one of Madhur Jafri's cookbooks.

I think I'll try roasting some soon. I get a tote of organic vegetables
delivered every week (kind of like a CSA, but not all local), and I'm
starting to accumulate cauliflowers. ;-)

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

When I was young and newly married, my girlfriend and I used to meet at each
others home for our special lunch. It was always a veggie lunch...we weren't
even vegetarians Sometimes we would split a cauliflower....The next time
fry up some breaded egg plant...or during cold weather we would make a
cheesy Broccoli or cauliflower soup. I also like my acorn squash with just a
bit of butter and salt...butter sweetens it up nicely...I don't need maple
syrup I just had a nice acorn squash the other night...hubby doesn't like
it so I even had enough for lunch the next day I have never tried a
Cauliflower au gratin...sounds good though...guess I'll be looking for a
recipe.
Jacquie

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Jacquie" > wrote:
>
>> I just like Steamed Cauliflower with melted butter and a bit of salt and
>> pepper. Guess I'm one of those people that don't need sauces My
>> Husband
>> on the other hand has to have BBQ or steak sauce on every thing

> I enjoy plain old steamed or boiled cauliflower, too. I also love a
> nice cauliflower au gratin or in a lovely cauliflower and potato dish I
> used to make out of one of Madhur Jafri's cookbooks.
>
> I think I'll try roasting some soon. I get a tote of organic vegetables
> delivered every week (kind of like a CSA, but not all local), and I'm
> starting to accumulate cauliflowers. ;-)
>
> PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> When I was young and newly married, my girlfriend and I used to meet at
> each others home for our special lunch. It was always a veggie lunch...we
> weren't even vegetarians Sometimes we would split a cauliflower....The
> next time fry up some breaded egg plant...or during cold weather we would
> make a cheesy Broccoli or cauliflower soup. I also like my acorn squash
> with just a bit of butter and salt...butter sweetens it up nicely...I
> don't need maple syrup I just had a nice acorn squash the other
> night...hubby doesn't like it so I even had enough for lunch the next day
> I have never tried a Cauliflower au gratin...sounds good though...guess
> I'll be looking for a recipe.
> Jacquie

I always liked this simple recipe for cauliflower too.

Cooking Cauliflower - from Allan

Slice it relatively thin and put it in a skillet. Add some water (not enough
to cover it). Boil the water until the cauliflower is slightly tender. Drain
the remaining water and put some butter in your skillet. Sauté until the
cauliflower starts turning brown. Add a little cream and a lot of sharp
cheddar. Still until the cheese melts.
Grate some fresh Romano or Parmesan over the top.

That's how to cook cauliflower!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: "Jacquie" > wrote:

: > I just like Steamed Cauliflower with melted butter and a bit of salt and
: > pepper. Guess I'm one of those people that don't need sauces My Husband
: > on the other hand has to have BBQ or steak sauce on every thing

: I enjoy plain old steamed or boiled cauliflower, too. I also love a
: nice cauliflower au gratin or in a lovely cauliflower and potato dish I
: used to make out of one of Madhur Jafri's cookbooks.

: I think I'll try roasting some soon. I get a tote of organic vegetables
: delivered every week (kind of like a CSA, but not all local), and I'm
: starting to accumulate cauliflowers. ;-)

: PP

Quick adn easy adn no cooking. Eata raw diped in cockail sauc or russian
dressing or any other dip yu like adn that fits ou diet. I often keep a
bowl of florets, sitting in cold water in the frige and some dip fro quick
snacks that do little to the bgs.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Sounds good everybody. I can still eat fresh cauliflower...but not
broccoli...good idea to keep in cold water in the fridge. I like Kens 1 Carb
ranch dressing for dipping. When we have it I keep cut celery in a covered
keeper of water and snack on it too.
Thanks Susan and Cheri for your recipes
Jacquie

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : In article >,
> : "Jacquie" > wrote:
>
> : > I just like Steamed Cauliflower with melted butter and a bit of salt
> and
> : > pepper. Guess I'm one of those people that don't need sauces My
> Husband
> : > on the other hand has to have BBQ or steak sauce on every thing
>
> : I enjoy plain old steamed or boiled cauliflower, too. I also love a
> : nice cauliflower au gratin or in a lovely cauliflower and potato dish I
> : used to make out of one of Madhur Jafri's cookbooks.
>
> : I think I'll try roasting some soon. I get a tote of organic vegetables
> : delivered every week (kind of like a CSA, but not all local), and I'm
> : starting to accumulate cauliflowers. ;-)
>
> : PP
>
> Quick adn easy adn no cooking. Eata raw diped in cockail sauc or russian
> dressing or any other dip yu like adn that fits ou diet. I often keep a
> bowl of florets, sitting in cold water in the frige and some dip fro quick
> snacks that do little to the bgs.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : In article >,
> : "Jacquie" > wrote:
>
> : > I just like Steamed Cauliflower with melted butter and a bit of salt and
> : > pepper. Guess I'm one of those people that don't need sauces My
> : > Husband
> : > on the other hand has to have BBQ or steak sauce on every thing
>
> : I enjoy plain old steamed or boiled cauliflower, too. I also love a
> : nice cauliflower au gratin or in a lovely cauliflower and potato dish I
> : used to make out of one of Madhur Jafri's cookbooks.
>
> : I think I'll try roasting some soon. I get a tote of organic vegetables
> : delivered every week (kind of like a CSA, but not all local), and I'm
> : starting to accumulate cauliflowers. ;-)
>
> : PP
>
> Quick adn easy adn no cooking. Eata raw diped in cockail sauc or russian
> dressing or any other dip yu like adn that fits ou diet. I often keep a
> bowl of florets, sitting in cold water in the frige and some dip fro quick
> snacks that do little to the bgs.
>
> Wendy

That works only if you like raw cauliflower. I'm afraid I don't care
for it unless it's cooked. Too, um, I don't know... too peppery?

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article > ,
"Jacquie" > wrote:

> have never tried a
> Cauliflower au gratin...sounds good though...guess I'll be looking for a
> recipe.

Blanch cauliflower. Make a bechamel. Cut up a bunch of sharp cheddar
cheese. Put cheese in bechamel. Let it melt. Stir sauce well. Put
cauliflower in baking dish. Poor cheese sauce over cauliflower. Bake.
Eat.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:

: > Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: > : In article >,
: > : "Jacquie" > wrote:
: >
[...]

Interesting. In my family I could never get the kids to eat cooked
cauliflower(broccoli yes), but they would go for the raw, particularly
with dip. Go figure. I also like cooked broccoli, but not raw. I
always avoid it at those receptions with the raw veggie trays.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message

> Interesting. In my family I could never get the kids to eat cooked
> cauliflower(broccoli yes), but they would go for the raw, particularly
> with dip. Go figure. I also like cooked broccoli, but not raw. I
> always avoid it at those receptions with the raw veggie trays.

Angela and I will eat raw but never cooked. Cooked just gags me. I did
have some soup in a Russian restaurant on Staten Island that made vegetable
soup with cauliflower in it that didn't gag me. I don't know why. But any
other time I tried to eat it, it came back up.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : In article >,
> : "W. Baker" > wrote:
>
> : > Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : > : In article >,
> : > : "Jacquie" > wrote:
> : >
> : > : > I just like Steamed Cauliflower with melted butter and a bit of
> salt and
> : > : > pepper. Guess I'm one of those people that don't need sauces My
> : > : > Husband
> : > : > on the other hand has to have BBQ or steak sauce on every thing
> : >
> : > : I enjoy plain old steamed or boiled cauliflower, too. I also love a
> : > : nice cauliflower au gratin or in a lovely cauliflower and potato
> dish I
> : > : used to make out of one of Madhur Jafri's cookbooks.
> : >
> : > : I think I'll try roasting some soon. I get a tote of organic
> vegetables
> : > : delivered every week (kind of like a CSA, but not all local), and
> I'm
> : > : starting to accumulate cauliflowers. ;-)
> : >
> : > : PP
> : >
> : > Quick adn easy adn no cooking. Eata raw diped in cockail sauc or
> russian
> : > dressing or any other dip yu like adn that fits ou diet. I often keep
> : > bowl of florets, sitting in cold water in the frige and some dip fro
> quick
> : > snacks that do little to the bgs.
> : >
> : > Wendy
>
> : That works only if you like raw cauliflower. I'm afraid I don't care
> : for it unless it's cooked. Too, um, I don't know... too peppery?
>
> : PP
>
> Interesting. In my family I could never get the kids to eat cooked
> cauliflower(broccoli yes), but they would go for the raw, particularly
> with dip. Go figure. I also like cooked broccoli, but not raw. I
> always avoid it at those receptions with the raw veggie trays.
>
> Wendy

I eat either cauliflower and broccoli both raw and cooked. I do have
distinct preferences, though. I prefer cauliflower raw--it is one of my
favorite snacks just to munch on (without any dip), and I often chop it up
small for salads. I prefer broccoli cooked, even though I will also munch on
that raw and put it on salads. The difference, to me, is that broccoli has a
strong taste when raw that is a bit unpleasant (but not unpalatable). By
contrast, I have *never* learned to like Brussels sprouts, no matter how
they are prepared. They have a strong "metallic" taste to me.

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

raw broccoli has a furry mouth feel to me, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : In article >,
> : "W. Baker" > wrote:
>
> : > Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : > : In article >,
> : > : "Jacquie" > wrote:
> : >
> : > : > I just like Steamed Cauliflower with melted butter and a bit of
> salt and
> : > : > pepper. Guess I'm one of those people that don't need sauces My
> : > : > Husband
> : > : > on the other hand has to have BBQ or steak sauce on every thing
> : >
> : > : I enjoy plain old steamed or boiled cauliflower, too. I also love a
> : > : nice cauliflower au gratin or in a lovely cauliflower and potato
> dish I
> : > : used to make out of one of Madhur Jafri's cookbooks.
> : >
> : > : I think I'll try roasting some soon. I get a tote of organic
> vegetables
> : > : delivered every week (kind of like a CSA, but not all local), and
> I'm
> : > : starting to accumulate cauliflowers. ;-)
> : >
> : > : PP
> : >
> : > Quick adn easy adn no cooking. Eata raw diped in cockail sauc or
> russian
> : > dressing or any other dip yu like adn that fits ou diet. I often keep
> : > bowl of florets, sitting in cold water in the frige and some dip fro
> quick
> : > snacks that do little to the bgs.
> : >
> : > Wendy
>
> : That works only if you like raw cauliflower. I'm afraid I don't care
> : for it unless it's cooked. Too, um, I don't know... too peppery?
>
> : PP
>
> Interesting. In my family I could never get the kids to eat cooked
> cauliflower(broccoli yes), but they would go for the raw, particularly
> with dip. Go figure. I also like cooked broccoli, but not raw. I
> always avoid it at those receptions with the raw veggie trays.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

My Hiatal Hernia does not like raw broccoli...but can handle raw
cauliflower..go figure I love Brussel Sprouts. The best I have ever tasted
were ones fresh from my neighbors garden when we lived in England. I now buy
frozen....I will try to get fresh when they are in season...but allot of
times they look a bit old by the time they get to the market. My husband
doesn't like them though...so he gets Broccoli or corn when I have Brussel
Sprouts

Jacquie

. ..

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>> : In article >,
>> : "W. Baker" > wrote:
>>
>> : > Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>> : > : In article >,
>> : > : "Jacquie" > wrote:
>> : >
>> : > : > I just like Steamed Cauliflower with melted butter and a bit of
>> salt and
>> : > : > pepper. Guess I'm one of those people that don't need sauces
>> My
>> : > : > Husband
>> : > : > on the other hand has to have BBQ or steak sauce on every thing
>>
>> : >
>> : > : I enjoy plain old steamed or boiled cauliflower, too. I also love
>> : > : nice cauliflower au gratin or in a lovely cauliflower and potato
>> dish I
>> : > : used to make out of one of Madhur Jafri's cookbooks.
>> : >
>> : > : I think I'll try roasting some soon. I get a tote of organic
>> vegetables
>> : > : delivered every week (kind of like a CSA, but not all local), and
>> I'm
>> : > : starting to accumulate cauliflowers. ;-)
>> : >
>> : > : PP
>> : >
>> : > Quick adn easy adn no cooking. Eata raw diped in cockail sauc or
>> russian
>> : > dressing or any other dip yu like adn that fits ou diet. I often
>> keep a
>> : > bowl of florets, sitting in cold water in the frige and some dip fro
>> quick
>> : > snacks that do little to the bgs.
>> : >
>> : > Wendy
>>
>> : That works only if you like raw cauliflower. I'm afraid I don't care
>> : for it unless it's cooked. Too, um, I don't know... too peppery?
>>
>> : PP
>>
>> Interesting. In my family I could never get the kids to eat cooked
>> cauliflower(broccoli yes), but they would go for the raw, particularly
>> with dip. Go figure. I also like cooked broccoli, but not raw. I
>> always avoid it at those receptions with the raw veggie trays.
>>
>> Wendy
>>

> I eat either cauliflower and broccoli both raw and cooked. I do have
> distinct preferences, though. I prefer cauliflower raw--it is one of my
> favorite snacks just to munch on (without any dip), and I often chop it up
> small for salads. I prefer broccoli cooked, even though I will also munch
> on that raw and put it on salads. The difference, to me, is that broccoli
> has a strong taste when raw that is a bit unpleasant (but not
> unpalatable). By contrast, I have *never* learned to like Brussels
> sprouts, no matter how they are prepared. They have a strong "metallic"
> taste to me.
>
> MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> My Hiatal Hernia does not like raw broccoli...but can handle raw
> cauliflower..go figure I love Brussel Sprouts. The best I have ever
> tasted were ones fresh from my neighbors garden when we lived in England.
> I now buy frozen....I will try to get fresh when they are in season...but
> allot of times they look a bit old by the time they get to the market. My
> husband doesn't like them though...so he gets Broccoli or corn when I have
> Brussel Sprouts
>
> Jacquie

Everybody loves my brussel sprouts! Even people who usually hate them.

Sit down at the table and take your time to clean them up. Cut a tiny
sliver from the bottom of each one, making sure there is enough there to
hold the leaves. Remove any icky looking leaves. Cut each sprout in
half lengthwise and put them in a pot with a little water in the bottom to
steam.

When you cut them in half they cook more evenly and they taste better. If
you cook them whole, the outer leaves overcook and get too "cabbagey"
tasting. Cutting in half works perfectly.

While they are cooking, melt some butter in the microwave, add salt, pepper
and the juice from half a lemon.. (strain or pick out the seeds, of
course).

Steam the sprouts till just tender and then drain.
Add the melted butter/seasonings and lemon jc mixture.
Toss and serve immediately.

Note: serving them right away is important, because they continue to cook
from the residual heat, and the longer they cook the more the less pleasant
flavors come about and they will get that cabbagey taste. So if you need to
put them aside for a while till serving time, run a little bit of cool water
over them first to stop the cooking process, then drain them again......
before you add the butter and seasonings.

Just before serving, nuke for a moment with a lid on the dish, toss with the
butter and seasonings and serve.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 07:22:16 -0600, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>I eat either cauliflower and broccoli both raw and cooked. I do have
>distinct preferences, though. I prefer cauliflower raw--it is one of my
>favorite snacks just to munch on (without any dip), and I often chop it up
>small for salads. I prefer broccoli cooked, even though I will also munch on
>that raw and put it on salads. The difference, to me, is that broccoli has a
>strong taste when raw that is a bit unpleasant (but not unpalatable). By
>contrast, I have *never* learned to like Brussels sprouts, no matter how
>they are prepared. They have a strong "metallic" taste to me.
>
>MaryL

I like broccoli cooked or raw. When fixing it raw in salads I like to
nuke it for a few seconds until the surface is shiny. This takes away
the "grass" taste that I think the raw stuph has.
--
BettyB. -- www.flamingo-code.com
There is always the potential to change one's direction and go another way

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
>I tried a new recipe a few days ago that was pretty good, and very
> easy and quick. I found it online but cannot remember where--too bad
> because there were other interesting vegetable dishes.
>
> Here's the original recipe:
>
> Ingredients:
> Medium head of cauliflower
> 4 tablespoons of butter melted
> 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper, cumin, cinamon, paprika (all to
> taste), mixed with 1 tablespoon of sugar
>
> Break the cauliflower into florets, place in a large bowl and toss
> with the melted butter and then the sugar-spice mixture
> Place in one layer on a cookie sheet
> Bake at 500F for 20 minutes until the florets crisp and carmelize
> Mound on a platter and sprinkle with coarse salt
>
> We had it with roast lamb and salad. It was really easy to make and
> everyone liked it. I thought it was too oily though, and I didn't see
> that the sugar added anything to the flavor.
>
> Next time, I am thinking to try maybe 2 tbls of olive oil and leave
> out the sugar. I would add a lot more chili and maybe cumin or anise
> seed as well. Do you real cooks out there think it would still
> carmelize without the sugar? I can live with browned.

I did a web search for the place you found this and found
these possibilities. Do any of them look right?

http://www.theepicentre.com/Spices/baharat.html

http://teriskitchen.com/spiceblends.html

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09340/1018274-107.stm

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/recipeb.../spicemix.html