Old 11-10-2008, 09:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soups On!!!!

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 01:44:33p, Christine Dabney told us...

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:36:38 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

Christine says that I don't have to chat in order to participate, so I
think I will make my minestrone and post the results. You *know* I don't
chat. :-)

Take pictures?

Christine

I ordered new batteries for my camera and they aren't worth a damn, so I'll
probably have to get some more. These won't hold a charge at all.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 10hrs 2mins
'Hullo' -Rupert Brooke (1887-1915),
English poet, last word

Old 11-10-2008, 09:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 01:43:47p, Christine Dabney told us...

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:35:08 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

What's the date again?

October 25th. Sometime in the afternoon, so soup can be dinner.

Christine

Sounds good. I'll put it on my calendar.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 10hrs 1mins
The human's food is meant to be shared
with the cat.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 01:41:47p, told us...

wrote:

Christine says that I don't have to chat in order to participate, so I
think I will make my minestrone and post the results. You *know* I don't
chat. :-)

I *know*, that's why I dropped your name as an example. Glad you're
going to post here. We'll be reading rfc and posting here too as we
cook.

Heh, I didn't read your whole post, so missed my name. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 9hrs 58mins
GURU: One who knows more jargon than you.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:58:50 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

I ordered new batteries for my camera and they aren't worth a damn, so I'll
probably have to get some more. These won't hold a charge at all.

Where did you get yours from? I ordered mine from batteries.com a
couple of years ago and they were just fine until a few weeks ago.

Mae West
Old 11-10-2008, 10:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 02:08:25p, told us...

wrote:

I ordered new batteries for my camera and they aren't worth a damn, so
I'll probably have to get some more. These won't hold a charge at all.

Where did you get yours from? I ordered mine from batteries.com a
couple of years ago and they were just fine until a few weeks ago.

I got mine direct from http://www.delkin.com/

I have a Kodak digital that takes a rather odd battery. Kodak makes them,
but I read a review that recommended the Delkin equivalent over the Kodak
original. The next ones I buy will be Kodak.

I bought my camera in 1998 or 1999 and it came with the battery. The
original battery lasted until this past Spring. I thought that was
incredible, and they seemed to hold a charge almost indefinitely

With the Delkin battery I'm lucky to get a few hours out of them.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 9hrs 21mins
I never said all Democrats were
saloonkeepers; what I said was all

Old 12-10-2008, 01:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:59:15 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

What's the date again?

October 25th. Sometime in the afternoon, so soup can be dinner.

Christine

Sounds good. I'll put it on my calendar.

I have been reading about minestrone on and off this afternoon. I
have the latest John Thorne book, Mouth Wide Open, and he has a
chapter all about minestrone. The first example of minestrone he
gave, was the one you posted. I had to laugh...LOL.

He says it is extremely good. He also gave other versions, which
also look very good.

I found a great looking recipe in Lynn Rosetta Kasper's book, The
Italian Country Table, as well. Lidia also has a version in her
Italian American Table book.

Haven't gotten around to all the other Italian cookbooks I have, nor
the books on soup.

Beans seem to be a constant in minestrone: sometimes canellini beans,
sometimes cranberry beans. I have both, but I adore cranberry beans,
and I will probably use those.

Sometimes a parmesan rind is considered a necessity, but it depends on
the cook.

Some folks seem to use broth, and others just water. I haven't
decided yet which route I am going to go.

I am also seeing a few folks use prosciutto or pancetta, and in one
case (can't remember who at the moment) both are used.

In it's most elaborate form, minestrone seems to be a full meal soup.
Others seem lighter... I am leaning towards full meal type. And I am
thinking that a salad, bread and maybe a fruit dessert to round it
out. And since I love antipasti, I might add that....if I find a
complementary one.

Maybe I should invite company...

Christine
Old 12-10-2008, 03:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 05:59:03p, Christine Dabney told us...

wrote:

What's the date again?
October 25th. Sometime in the afternoon, so soup can be dinner.

Christine

Sounds good. I'll put it on my calendar.

I have been reading about minestrone on and off this afternoon. I
have the latest John Thorne book, Mouth Wide Open, and he has a
chapter all about minestrone. The first example of minestrone he
gave, was the one you posted. I had to laugh...LOL.

That is funny, and odd. :-)

He says it is extremely good. He also gave other versions, which
also look very good.

One of the reasons I particularly like this one is that I like "thick"
soups and this one suits me. I'm not fond of brothy soups with random bits
and pieces floating about.

I found a great looking recipe in Lynn Rosetta Kasper's book, The
Italian Country Table, as well. Lidia also has a version in her
Italian American Table book.

Haven't gotten around to all the other Italian cookbooks I have, nor
the books on soup.

Lord knows you have more cookbooks than anyone I know, so you probably have
countless recipes for minestrone at your fingetips. :-)

Beans seem to be a constant in minestrone: sometimes canellini beans,
sometimes cranberry beans. I have both, but I adore cranberry beans,
and I will probably use those.

I also lean toward cranberry beans, but I'll probably use canellini beans
this time since I have them on hand.

Sometimes a parmesan rind is considered a necessity, but it depends on
the cook.

Having used both rind and just adding fresh parmegiano near the end of
cooking, I think I prefer the latter. SEems toa dd more flavor.

Some folks seem to use broth, and others just water. I haven't
decided yet which route I am going to go.

I must have broth, though I don't much care whether it's beef or chicken.

I am also seeing a few folks use prosciutto or pancetta, and in one
case (can't remember who at the moment) both are used.

I've never made or eaten minestrone with any meat in it. Not saying it
wouldn't be good. Just haven't tried it. If I were to add one, I would
probably use pancetta. Think the flavor would be more compatible.

In it's most elaborate form, minestrone seems to be a full meal soup.
Others seem lighter... I am leaning towards full meal type. And I am
thinking that a salad, bread and maybe a fruit dessert to round it
out. And since I love antipasti, I might add that....if I find a
complementary one.

I've always served it as the main course, often with bruschetta, but never
thought of a salad. It's a hearty meal, and I like it with the full slice
garlic bread crouton with pesto, even with the bruschetta on the side.

Maybe I should invite company...

In a perfect world, we would all fly to your house and cook pots and pots
of minestrone. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 4hrs 51mins
Taglines are like cats, you only think
you own them.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill replied to nancy:

Am I invited? I've wanted to make the Cook's Illustrated
minestrone for a long time. You put parmagiana rinds in to
thicken and flavor it. I saw a package of the rinds for sale
at a local supermarket, which will come in handy as I don't
have any.

Of course you're invited! Everyone's invited!

Jill --has to remember the parmagiana at least as a finishing touch

The rinds are supposed to cook a long time, so they soften and release
flavor into the soup. The finishing touch would be grated parmagiana itself,
rather than the rind.

I want to try adding some trotter stock for heft, and a combination of V-8
and carrot juice at the last minute for flavor.

Bob

Old 12-10-2008, 04:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne wrote to Christine:

In a perfect world, we would all fly to your house and cook pots and pots
of minestrone. :-)

In a perfect world, all the pots would be self-cleaning, too.

Bob

Old 12-10-2008, 04:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:32:16 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
wrote:

The rinds are supposed to cook a long time, so they soften and release
flavor into the soup. The finishing touch would be grated parmagiana itself,
rather than the rind.

I want to try adding some trotter stock for heft, and a combination of V-8
and carrot juice at the last minute for flavor.

Bob

Are you joining the cookalong? I think you said you had to
work...but are you designating Lin to be your proxy?

Christine

Old 12-10-2008, 04:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

Are you joining the cookalong? I think you said you had to
work...but are you designating Lin to be your proxy?

No, I'm going to make minestrone this coming Wednesday night instead,
provided the nights are still chilly here.

Bob

Old 12-10-2008, 04:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:50:59 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
wrote:

Christine wrote:

Are you joining the cookalong? I think you said you had to
work...but are you designating Lin to be your proxy?

No, I'm going to make minestrone this coming Wednesday night instead,
provided the nights are still chilly here.

Bob

Oh, great!!!

Let us know how it turns out...

Christine
Old 12-10-2008, 04:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 08:41:29p, Bob Terwilliger told us...

Wayne wrote to Christine:

In a perfect world, we would all fly to your house and cook pots and pots
of minestrone. :-)

In a perfect world, all the pots would be self-cleaning, too.

Bob

Yes, that would be perfect!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 3hrs 6mins
Polytheism, n.: The belief in a Divine
Parrot.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
Christine wrote:

Are you joining the cookalong? I think you said you had to
work...but are you designating Lin to be your proxy?

No, I'm going to make minestrone this coming Wednesday night instead,
provided the nights are still chilly here.

Bob

I'm wishing for (practically begging for) chilly (or chili, heheh) weather!
It's 3:40 in the morming and still 70F degrees. And 96% humidity but that's
because it's been raining for three days straight. That's all it seems to
do here. Good thing I don't wait for cold weather before cooking a pot of
soup or stew

Jill

Old 12-10-2008, 08:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"jmcquown" wrote:

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
Christine wrote:

Are you joining the cookalong? I think you said you had to
work...but are you designating Lin to be your proxy?

No, I'm going to make minestrone this coming Wednesday night instead,
provided the nights are still chilly here.

Bob

I'm wishing for (practically begging for) chilly (or chili, heheh) weather!
It's 3:40 in the morming and still 70F degrees. And 96% humidity but that's
because it's been raining for three days straight. That's all it seems to
do here. Good thing I don't wait for cold weather before cooking a pot of
soup or stew

Jill

We need rain here, badly! :-)

Why wait to cook soups? Granted it's considered winter fare, but I often
cook small amounts of soup during the year.

If you crave it, go for it! g

At least it's been down into the 60's at night lately, but still in the
high 80's/low 90's during the day.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein

Soups On! 3-12-11 sf[_9_] General Cooking 10 13-03-2011 07:52 PM
Soups Jen P. General Cooking 8 27-11-2009 11:14 PM
I tried the new V8 Soups Anthony Ferrante[_2_] General Cooking 19 22-10-2008 05:00 AM
Soups on hahabogus General Cooking 1 23-03-2008 05:22 PM
Can soups without MSG? Richard Miller Vegan 3 19-01-2004 09:24 AM