Old 11-10-2008, 08:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soups On!!!!

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 15:31:57 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

I didn't want to just butt in. Here's the recipe I will be making,
using the pasta option:

Classic Minestrone from Cook's Illustrated:

Oh, I was going to ask if you could post it. Thanks!!!

Christine

Old 11-10-2008, 08:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Classic Minestrone from Cook's Illustrated:

This does look good.

I haven't looked through all my books yet, so haven't decided which
one I will make.

I think some recipes call for prosciutto, and I have some chopped
prosciutto in the freezer, that should be used up soon.

Don't some recipes call for pancetta?

I knew about parmesan rinds being used...and I have some of those in
the freezer as well.

This should be a good kickoff to the fall/winter soup season. I will
dig out my Le Creuset soup pot for this!

Christine
Old 11-10-2008, 08:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Classic Minestrone from Cook's Illustrated:

This does look good.

I haven't looked through all my books yet, so haven't decided which
one I will make.

I think some recipes call for prosciutto, and I have some chopped
prosciutto in the freezer, that should be used up soon.

Don't some recipes call for pancetta?

I've never had minestrone except out of a can.

Actually, I remember the first time I heard the word minestrone.
In high school, I worked in the local library a couple of hours a
day. One of the ladies asked me to run to the market for her
to pick up a can of Progresso minestrone. Minestrone? What's
that?? Heh.

I don't know why I've never made this soup, I have had this
very recipe on my 'must try someday' list.

I knew about parmesan rinds being used...and I have some of those in
the freezer as well.

I'm going back to Costco, I hope the cheese display is
still there, they had enormous wheels of parm, I don't know
why I didn't pick up a wedge.

This should be a good kickoff to the fall/winter soup season. I will
dig out my Le Creuset soup pot for this!

All the better.

nancy
Old 11-10-2008, 09:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 12:31:57p, Nancy Young told us...

Christine Dabney wrote:
On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 08:54:21 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

Am I invited? I've wanted to make the Cook's Illustrated
minestrone for a long time. You put parmagiana rinds in to
thicken and flavor it. I saw a package of the rinds for sale
at a local supermarket, which will come in handy as I don't
have any.

Of course you are!!!!! You are one of the original
cookalongers...LOL.

*If* I were going to participate in this (but I'm not because I don't
chat), I would make the following recipe. This is one of my favorites
because of all the shredded greens.

Artusi's Minestrone (variation)

2 quarts (2 liters) simmering beef or chicken broth
1/2 cup dried cannellini or cranberry beans, or 1 cup fresh beans
1 packed cup each shredded Savoy cabbage, spinach, and beet greens
A head of garlic, roasted, then well mashed
A bunch of parsley, a small carrot, a short celery stalk, and a small
onion, minced
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely minced
A zucchino and a potato, diced
1/2 cup of minced, seeded, and peeled sun-ripened or canned plum tomatoes
1/2 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano
Salt and pepper to taste
Boiling water (as needed)
Grated Parmigiano (at service)

If the beans are dried, soak them overnight. If they are fresh, this won't
be necessary. Heat the shredded greens in a pot until they wilt and drain
them well.

Next, simmer the vegetables and seasonings in the broth. When they’re
almost done (taste a piece of potato; it should be soft but not falling
apart), check seasoning, add the rice and continue cooking, stirring
gently. The rice should serve to absorb excess liquid, Add the parmigiano
stirring well to distribute, then simmer until melted. If the soup gets
too thick, add some boiling water.

Serve with a large garlic crouton, spread with fresh pesto.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 11hrs 2mins
If you can't explain it in under 70
characters, then don't bother expl
Old 11-10-2008, 09:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:13:12 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

*If* I were going to participate in this (but I'm not because I don't
chat), I would make the following recipe. This is one of my favorites
because of all the shredded greens.

You can still participate. You don't have to come to chat to
participate. I think in some past cookalongs, there have been some
folks that went ahead and made whatever we were making, and then
posted about it.

Artusi's Minestrone (variation)

This one looks very good as well!!

Christine

Old 11-10-2008, 09:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 12:46:15p, Christine Dabney told us...

wrote:

Classic Minestrone from Cook's Illustrated:

This does look good.

I haven't looked through all my books yet, so haven't decided which
one I will make.

I think some recipes call for prosciutto, and I have some chopped
prosciutto in the freezer, that should be used up soon.

Don't some recipes call for pancetta?

I knew about parmesan rinds being used...and I have some of those in
the freezer as well.

This should be a good kickoff to the fall/winter soup season. I will
dig out my Le Creuset soup pot for this!

Christine

I don't think I've ever eaten minestrone that had any kind of meat in it,
although I have seen recipes for some, including those with prosciutto,
panceetta, or regular bacon.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 10hrs 45mins
Most of the Universe plays hard-to-get.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 15:31:57 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

I didn't want to just butt in.

Oh, for heaven's sake Nancy. An announcement here in rfc is as good
as it gets. Nobody will be sent an engraved invitation! You (of all
people) know that rfc chat is open to anyone willing to chat and that
a cook along is a lot of fun.

RFC chat is open to all who are interested in participating. It's
not an insider's clique. People who don't do chat for whatever
personal reasons (like Wayne and Michael Dog3) can still participate
in the cook along by posting here in rfc, if they wish.

Chat *is* in real time, but with a decent news server it's almost like
real time posting here.

Mae West
Old 11-10-2008, 09:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 15:56:16 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

I've never had minestrone except out of a can.

You're in for a real treat! Don't forget the bread too.

Mae West
Old 11-10-2008, 09:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 01:15:56p, Christine Dabney told us...

wrote:

*If* I were going to participate in this (but I'm not because I don't
chat), I would make the following recipe. This is one of my favorites
because of all the shredded greens.

You can still participate. You don't have to come to chat to
participate. I think in some past cookalongs, there have been some
folks that went ahead and made whatever we were making, and then
posted about it.

Then maybe that's what I'll do. I've made this recipe many times, so the
results are entirely predictable. I know a lot of recipes call for
zuchini, but I have never liked zuchini so have neer included it.

What's the date again?

Artusi's Minestrone (variation)

This one looks very good as well!!

Thanks, Christine!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 10hrs 28mins
Americans elect Democrats to Congress
so they'll be given what they want and
Old 11-10-2008, 09:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 01:27:46p, told us...

wrote:

I didn't want to just butt in.

Oh, for heaven's sake Nancy. An announcement here in rfc is as good
as it gets. Nobody will be sent an engraved invitation! You (of all
people) know that rfc chat is open to anyone willing to chat and that
a cook along is a lot of fun.

RFC chat is open to all who are interested in participating. It's
not an insider's clique. People who don't do chat for whatever
personal reasons (like Wayne and Michael Dog3) can still participate
in the cook along by posting here in rfc, if they wish.

Chat *is* in real time, but with a decent news server it's almost like
real time posting here.

Christine says that I don't have to chat in order to participate, so I
think I will make my minestrone and post the results. You *know* I don't
chat. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 10hrs 25mins
If cats and dogs can live together,
why can't men and women?

Old 11-10-2008, 09:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:36:38 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

Christine says that I don't have to chat in order to participate, so I
think I will make my minestrone and post the results. You *know* I don't
chat. :-)

I *know*, that's why I dropped your name as an example. Glad you're
going to post here. We'll be reading rfc and posting here too as we
cook.

Mae West
Old 11-10-2008, 09:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 15:31:57 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

I didn't want to just butt in.

RFC chat is open to all who are interested in participating. It's
not an insider's clique.

I certainly know that, I'm not the one who said that it was.

Anyone is welcome.

nancy
Old 11-10-2008, 09:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:35:08 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

What's the date again?

October 25th. Sometime in the afternoon, so soup can be dinner.

Christine
Old 11-10-2008, 09:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Christine says that I don't have to chat in order to participate, so I
think I will make my minestrone and post the results. You *know* I don't
chat. :-)

Take pictures?

Christine
Old 11-10-2008, 09:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Christine says that I don't have to chat in order to participate, so I
think I will make my minestrone and post the results. You *know* I don't
chat. :-)

Take pictures?

I need to order some camera batteries! I have sets that I've been
rotating in the camera, and both are dead now. Actually, I need to
test them in another camera before I throw them away. Maybe it's the
camera and not the batteries.

Mae West

Soups On! 3-12-11 sf[_9_] General Cooking 10 13-03-2011 07:52 PM
Soups Jen P. General Cooking 8 27-11-2009 11:14 PM
I tried the new V8 Soups Anthony Ferrante[_2_] General Cooking 19 22-10-2008 05:00 AM
Soups on hahabogus General Cooking 1 23-03-2008 05:22 PM
Can soups without MSG? Richard Miller Vegan 3 19-01-2004 09:24 AM