FoodBanter.com

-   -   Soups On!!!! (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/162614-soups.html)

Christine Dabney 11-10-2008 07:11 AM

Soups On!!!!

Heya folks,

Time for another cookalong!!!

We were talking in chat..and notbob laid down the challenge. He said
he had the best minestrone......

So now..we are gonna have a cookalong....and the subject is
Minestrone!!!!

Date: October 25
Time: afternoon/evening ...assuming you are all USA folks... I will
do it in the afternoon, MDT. More details forthcoming.

Make your best minestrone..or variation!!!

I am thinking Soupe au pistou..which is a variation....... Or maybe I
will go with a traditional minestrone... Dunno yet.

Christine

Date: October 25
Time: afternoon/evening ...assuming you are all USA folks... I will
do it in the afternoon, MDT. More details forthcoming.

Make your best minestrone..or variation!!!

I am thinking Soupe au pistou..which is a variation....... Or maybe I
will go with a traditional minestrone... Dunno yet.

Christine

And take photos too!!!! My version will be include a lot of omissions
----- is that an oxymoron??? G

Sky, who'll take more photos and perhaps downsize just for Blinky ;

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Date: October 25
Time: afternoon/evening ...assuming you are all USA folks... I will
do it in the afternoon, MDT. More details forthcoming.

Make your best minestrone..or variation!!!

I am thinking Soupe au pistou..which is a variation....... Or maybe I
will go with a traditional minestrone... Dunno yet.

I'm thinking I'll do "my version" of traditional. I won't follow a
known recipe, I'll do it myself. :)

Mae West

Date: October 25
Time: afternoon/evening ...assuming you are all USA folks... I will
do it in the afternoon, MDT. More details forthcoming.

Make your best minestrone..or variation!!!

I am thinking Soupe au pistou..which is a variation....... Or maybe I
will go with a traditional minestrone... Dunno yet.

Christine

Traditional or "classic"? LOL (Sorry, couldn't resist.) I'll be there,
making some variation of minestrone.

Jill

Date: October 25
Time: afternoon/evening ...assuming you are all USA folks... I will
do it in the afternoon, MDT. More details forthcoming.

Make your best minestrone..or variation!!!

I am thinking Soupe au pistou..which is a variation....... Or maybe
I will go with a traditional minestrone... Dunno yet.

Christine

And take photos too!!!! My version will be include a lot of omissions
----- is that an oxymoron??? G

Sky, who'll take more photos and perhaps downsize just for Blinky ;

I don't have a digital camera here :(

Jill

Date: October 25
Time: afternoon/evening ...assuming you are all USA folks... I will
do it in the afternoon, MDT. More details forthcoming.

Make your best minestrone..or variation!!!

I am thinking Soupe au pistou..which is a variation....... Or maybe
I will go with a traditional minestrone... Dunno yet.

Christine

And take photos too!!!! My version will be include a lot of omissions
----- is that an oxymoron??? G

Sky, who'll take more photos and perhaps downsize just for Blinky ;

I don't have a digital camera here :(

do it the old fashioned way

Get a disposable camera and have Walgreens put it on a CD

Mae West

Date: October 25
Time: afternoon/evening ...assuming you are all USA folks... I will
do it in the afternoon, MDT. More details forthcoming.

Make your best minestrone..or variation!!!

I am thinking Soupe au pistou..which is a variation....... Or maybe I
will go with a traditional minestrone... Dunno yet.

I wish I *could* play along; I have a minestrone experiment I want to try.
Unfortunately, my work schedule precludes my participation in a Saturday
cookalong. Maybe I'll just make it this Sunday afternoon.

Bob

Christine Dabney 11-10-2008 07:46 AM

Soups On!!!!

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 23:41:36 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
wrote:

I wish I *could* play along; I have a minestrone experiment I want to try.
Unfortunately, my work schedule precludes my participation in a Saturday
cookalong. Maybe I'll just make it this Sunday afternoon.

Bob

Can you do it on another day close to that day, Bob?
Or can Lin do it??

Or do it that Sunday after?

I would love to hear about your experiment. Just do it...let us know
what happens.

I don't think cookalongs have to be all at the same time.... If you
can't do it then, then do it close to that time as you can. Let us
know what happens....and how it came across.... How it tasted, etc....
Cathy in South Africa cannot do things on our schedule, for instance.
So sometimes she does it the day before, or the night after...

Whatever works. Just join in, if you wish. We would love it!!!

Christine

sf[_3_] 11-10-2008 08:32 AM

Soups On!!!!

wrote:

I wish I *could* play along; I have a minestrone experiment I want to try.
Unfortunately, my work schedule precludes my participation in a Saturday
cookalong. Maybe I'll just make it this Sunday afternoon.

Would anything stop Lin from being your substitute?

Mae West

Nancy Young[_2_] 11-10-2008 01:54 PM

Soups On!!!!

Date: October 25
Time: afternoon/evening ...assuming you are all USA folks... I will
do it in the afternoon, MDT. More details forthcoming.

Make your best minestrone..or variation!!!

Am I invited? I've wanted to make the Cook's Illustrated
minestrone for a long time. You put parmagiana rinds in to
thicken and flavor it. I saw a package of the rinds for sale
at a local supermarket, which will come in handy as I don't
have any.

nancy

Date: October 25
Time: afternoon/evening ...assuming you are all USA folks... I will
do it in the afternoon, MDT. More details forthcoming.

Make your best minestrone..or variation!!!

I am thinking Soupe au pistou..which is a variation....... Or maybe I
will go with a traditional minestrone... Dunno yet.

Christine

Christine,

I will make the BEST!!! ministrone ever! Never have before, maybe never
after!

Come October 25th, my minestrone WILL arrive!!! Promise!

Best,

Andy
Reading up...

jmcquown[_2_] 11-10-2008 02:16 PM

Soups On!!!!

Date: October 25
Time: afternoon/evening ...assuming you are all USA folks... I will
do it in the afternoon, MDT. More details forthcoming.

Make your best minestrone..or variation!!!

Am I invited? I've wanted to make the Cook's Illustrated
minestrone for a long time. You put parmagiana rinds in to
thicken and flavor it. I saw a package of the rinds for sale
at a local supermarket, which will come in handy as I don't
have any.

nancy

Of course you're invited! Everyone's invited!

Jill --has to remember the parmagiana at least as a finishing touch

Date: October 25
Time: afternoon/evening ...assuming you are all USA folks... I will
do it in the afternoon, MDT. More details forthcoming.

Make your best minestrone..or variation!!!

I am thinking Soupe au pistou..which is a variation....... Or maybe I
will go with a traditional minestrone... Dunno yet.

Christine

It doesn't *have* to be minestrone and you don't have to chat. But please
do cook along... some sort of soup on October 25th. Then post about it.
Take photos if you want to. This is fun stuff :)

Jill

Christine Dabney 11-10-2008 07:08 PM

Soups On!!!!

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 08:54:21 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

Am I invited? I've wanted to make the Cook's Illustrated
minestrone for a long time. You put parmagiana rinds in to
thicken and flavor it. I saw a package of the rinds for sale
at a local supermarket, which will come in handy as I don't
have any.

nancy

Of course you are!!!!! You are one of the original
cookalongers...LOL.

Christine

Nancy Young[_2_] 11-10-2008 08:31 PM

Soups On!!!!

wrote:

Am I invited? I've wanted to make the Cook's Illustrated
minestrone for a long time. You put parmagiana rinds in to
thicken and flavor it. I saw a package of the rinds for sale
at a local supermarket, which will come in handy as I don't
have any.

Of course you are!!!!! You are one of the original
cookalongers...LOL.

I didn't want to just butt in. Here's the recipe I will be making,
using the pasta option:

Classic Minestrone from Cook's Illustrated:

Adding pasta or rice makes this hearty soup appropriate as a dinner.
If the soup seems too thick after adding the pasta or rice, stir in a
little water. Pasta and rice do not hold up well when refrigerated or
frozen, so serve this soup as soon as the pasta or rice is tender.

Serves 6 to 8
2 small leeks (or 1 large), white and light green parts sliced thin
crosswise (about 3/4 cup) and washed thoroughly
2 medium carrots , peeled and cut into small dice (about 3/4 cup)
2 small onions , peeled and cut into small dice (about 3/4 cup)
2 medium ribs celery , trimmed and cut into small dice (about 3/4 cup)
1 medium baking potato , peeled and cut into medium dice (about 1 1/4
cups)
1 medium zucchini , trimmed and cut into medium dice (about 1 1/4 cups)
3 cups stemmed spinach leaves , cut into thin strips
(28 ounce) can whole tomatoes , packed in juice, drained, and chopped
8 cups water
1 Parmesan cheese rind , about 5 x 2 inches
Table salt
1/2 cup Arborio rice (or small pasta shape, such as elbows, ditalini,
or orzo)
1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans , drained and rinsed (about 1 1/2
cups)
1/4 cup basil pesto (or 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary mixed with
1 teaspoon minced garlic and 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil)
Ground black pepper

In addition to grated cheese as a topping, swirling pesto or a
combination of rosemary and garlic into the finished soup builds flavor.
1. Bring vegetables, tomatoes, water, cheese rind, and 1 teaspoon salt
to boil in a soup kettle or pot. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer,
uncovered and stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender but
still hold their shape, about 1 hour. Add arborio rice or pasta and
continue cooking until rice is tender but still a bit firm in the
center of each grain, about 20 minutes, or until pasta is al dente, 8
to 12 minutes, depending on shape.

2. Add beans and cook just until heated through, about 5 minutes.
Remove pot from heat. Remove and discard cheese rind. Stir in pesto
(or rosemary-garlic mixture). Adjust seasonings, adding pepper and
more salt, if necessary. Ladle soup into bowls and serve immediately.