Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "beef flap meat" vs "skirt steak"

Sheldon, you're probably the best person to answer this question.

In the last few years beef which to me looks just like skirt steak has
been labeled and sold as "beef flap meat" in the supermarket (Ralphs,
Vons - I'm in Los Angeles). I can never seem to find skirt steak any
more.

IS it the same thing? Are they just repackaging skirt steak with a
name more familiar to the Latino consumer, who is the one most likely
to purchase that particular cut of meat? Or is it a different cut of
meat? I've asked the "butchers" in the market, but I've never gotten
a straight answer.

Thanks,
Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 8:08�pm, cathy > wrote:
> Sheldon, you're probably the best person to answer this question.
>
> In the last few years beef which to me looks just like skirt steak has
> been labeled and sold as "beef flap meat" in the supermarket (Ralphs,
> Vons - I'm in Los Angeles). I can never seem to find skirt steak any
> more.
>
> IS it the same thing? Are they just repackaging skirt steak with a
> name more familiar to the Latino consumer, who is the one most likely
> to purchase that particular cut of meat? Or is it a different cut of
> meat? I've asked the "butchers" in the market, *but I've never gotten
> a straight answer.

Hmm, what's in a name... there are so many different names for the
same thing. A lot depends on where you shop. There are different
cuts of hanger steak depending on how far foward or back... and then
there is diaphragm meat.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DG2BBNBS01.DTL

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/beefcuts.htm

Actually it depends a lot on where the butcher decides to cut... all
are good.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26 Feb 2007 17:30:13 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>On Feb 26, 8:08?pm, cathy > wrote:
>> Sheldon, you're probably the best person to answer this question.
>>
>> In the last few years beef which to me looks just like skirt steak has
>> been labeled and sold as "beef flap meat" in the supermarket (Ralphs,
>> Vons - I'm in Los Angeles). I can never seem to find skirt steak any
>> more.
>>
>> IS it the same thing? Are they just repackaging skirt steak with a
>> name more familiar to the Latino consumer, who is the one most likely
>> to purchase that particular cut of meat? Or is it a different cut of
>> meat? I've asked the "butchers" in the market, "ut I've never gotten
>> a straight answer.

>Hmm, what's in a name... there are so many different names for the
>same thing. A lot depends on where you shop. There are different
>cuts of hanger steak depending on how far foward or back... and then
>there is diaphragm meat.
>
>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DG2BBNBS01.DTL
>
>http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/beefcuts.htm
>
>Actually it depends a lot on where the butcher decides to cut... all
>are good.
>
>Sheldon

Hmmm...it seems that if it isn't =exactly= skirt steak it's pretty
close, so I guess my next question is, do they taste about the same,
is the texture/tenderness the same, and would the preparation be about
the same? I generally either grill skirt steak (makes a fabulous
sandwich on an onion roll!) or slice it thin and stir-fry it.

Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cathy > wrote:

>Hmmm...it seems that if it isn't =exactly= skirt steak it's pretty
>close, so I guess my next question is, do they taste about the same,
>is the texture/tenderness the same, and would the preparation be about
>the same? I generally either grill skirt steak (makes a fabulous
>sandwich on an onion roll!) or slice it thin and stir-fry it.

If as Steve W. states it is the same cut as onglet, you should
be able to tell -- it will have a distinctive, slightly liver-like
taste.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 27, 12:04�am, cathy > wrote:
> On 26 Feb 2007 17:30:13 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>

> >On Feb 26, 8:08?pm, cathy > wrote:
> >> Sheldon, you're probably the best person to answer this question.

> >> In the last few years beef which to me looks just like skirt steak has
> >> been labeled and sold as "beef flap meat" in the supermarket (Ralphs,
> >> Vons - I'm in Los Angeles). I can never seem to find skirt steak any
> >> more.

> >> IS it the same thing? Are they just repackaging skirt steak with a
> >> name more familiar to the Latino consumer, who is the one most likely
> >> to purchase that particular cut of meat? Or is it a different cut of
> >> meat? I've asked the "butchers" in the market, "ut I've never gotten
> >> a straight answer.

> >Hmm, what's in a name... there are so many different names for the
> >same thing. *A lot depends on where you shop. *There are different
> >cuts of hanger steak depending on how far foward or back... and then
> >there is diaphragm meat.

> >http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...archive/2005/0....

> >http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/beefcuts.htm

> >Actually it depends a lot on where the butcher decides to cut... all
> >are good.

> >Sheldon

> Hmmm...it seems that if it isn't =exactly= skirt steak it's pretty
> close, so I guess my next question is, do they taste about the same,
> is the texture/tenderness the same, and would the preparation be about
> the same?

Yes, yes, and yes.

> I generally either grill skirt steak (makes a fabulous
> sandwich on an onion roll!) or slice it thin and stir-fry it.

Either method works well... just don't over cook or you'll have saddle
leather. You might try various marinades too.

If you shop at the same place you'll usually get the same cut
regardless of which name they use... butchers typically do things
consistantly their own particular way. And butchers tend to take the
best of these cuts home for themselves.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz > wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 06:23:20 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

>> If as Steve W. states it is the same cut as onglet, you should
>> be able to tell -- it will have a distinctive, slightly liver-like
>> taste.

>Liverey? You must be getting the cheap stuff. I've never had it
>taste like liver.

Then perhaps your "flap" is not the same as onglet after all.
It's widely described as having a slight liver flavor, and that
is my experience as well.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz > wrote:

>On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 20:58:48 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

>> Then perhaps your "flap" is not the same as onglet after all.
>> It's widely described as having a slight liver flavor, and that
>> is my experience as well.

>I have never noticed that, but I have in other cuts of meat. I
>cook mine pretty rare, so maybe that taste comes out afetr longer
>cooking.

Well, if one believes Wikipedia, the flavor of onglet resembles
kidney rather than liver (quite a difference there I would say),
and a flap steak is a bauvette, not an onglet.

More confusion.

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 8:08 pm, cathy > wrote:
> Sheldon, you're probably the best person to answer this question.
>
> In the last few years beef which to me looks just like skirt steak has
> been labeled and sold as "beef flap meat" in the supermarket (Ralphs,
> Vons - I'm in Los Angeles). I can never seem to find skirt steak any
> more.
>
> IS it the same thing? Are they just repackaging skirt steak with a
> name more familiar to the Latino consumer, who is the one most likely
> to purchase that particular cut of meat? Or is it a different cut of
> meat? I've asked the "butchers" in the market, but I've never gotten
> a straight answer.
>
> Thanks,
> Cathy

The straight aswer is the the flap meat is a cut of beef off of the
loin.It is the tail of the tbone whish used to be attached but now is
seperated and sold either whole,which it looks like a skirt steak or
in strips and can be grilled or fried.I cut this item daily in the
shop I work at and it sells well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,

> More confusion.
>
> S.

Well, let's just add to the confusion. According to Merle Ellis, who
uses California names for butcher's cuts, skirt is diaphragm. The
Larrouse Gastronomique says Onglet is from the "upper skirt". Now, I
am wondering if flap might sometimes be used for the hanger steak in
some places.

D.M.