Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default DAMN that was good, thanks to all! ("that" oriental flavor)

Awhile back I posted about how to get "that" flavor for oriental food.

Everyone seemed to agree on Oyster sauce, so I finally got around to
getting back to My Thanh and buying some.

Today's stir fry:

1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 whole head of fresh garlic, peeled and pressed
1 large bulb of fresh grated ginger root (approx. 3 tbs.)
1 lb. fresh shitake mushrooms de-stemmed and cut in 1/2
1/2 lb. of asparagus string beans broken into 2" sections
A 4" section of smoked sausage sliced fine (it needed to be used up!)

1 generous sprinkling of salt free lemon pepper
same as above, dried dill weed
some mushroom soy sauce
approx. 1 cup of very dry merlot wine
2 generous "glops" of oyster sauce
a smidgin of sesame oil
approx. 2 to 3 tbs. toasted sesame seeds

Once the onions were nice and limp, I added to that:

1 lb. peeled and deveined fresh shrimp
3 (leftover) grilled boneless skinless chicken thighs, sliced thin.

Cooked until the shrimp just turned pink and the chicken was re-warmed.

I wanted to lick the bowl........ ;-d

The addition of the wine was accidental.
By the time the beans, mushrooms and onions were pretty much done, I was
not done peeling the shrimp yet and I needed to add some liquid to the
pan to prevent burning. I did NOT want to add water. This wine was so
dry, it was pretty much only useful for cooking so I added enough to wet
the pan while I was finishing up the shrimp.

It worked. ;-D

Sorry, no jpegs. I was hungry and so was dad...
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> Awhile back I posted about how to get "that" flavor for oriental food.
>
> Everyone seemed to agree on Oyster sauce, so I finally got around to
> getting back to My Thanh and buying some.
>
> Today's stir fry:
>
> 1 large yellow onion, chopped
> 1 whole head of fresh garlic, peeled and pressed
> 1 large bulb of fresh grated ginger root (approx. 3 tbs.)
> 1 lb. fresh shitake mushrooms de-stemmed and cut in 1/2
> 1/2 lb. of asparagus string beans broken into 2" sections
> A 4" section of smoked sausage sliced fine (it needed to be used up!)
>

> 1 generous sprinkling of salt free lemon pepper
> same as above, dried dill weed
> some mushroom soy sauce
> approx. 1 cup of very dry merlot wine
> 2 generous "glops" of oyster sauce
> a smidgin of sesame oil
> approx. 2 to 3 tbs. toasted sesame seeds
>
> Once the onions were nice and limp, I added to that:
>
> 1 lb. peeled and deveined fresh shrimp
> 3 (leftover) grilled boneless skinless chicken thighs, sliced thin.
>
> Cooked until the shrimp just turned pink and the chicken was re-warmed.
>
> I wanted to lick the bowl........ ;-d
>
> The addition of the wine was accidental.
> By the time the beans, mushrooms and onions were pretty much done, I was
> not done peeling the shrimp yet and I needed to add some liquid to the
> pan to prevent burning. I did NOT want to add water. This wine was so
> dry, it was pretty much only useful for cooking so I added enough to wet
> the pan while I was finishing up the shrimp.
>
> It worked. ;-D
>
> Sorry, no jpegs. I was hungry and so was dad...

Sounds good... needed a sauce (corn starch n' stock slurry), then you'd
not have that dryness problem (coulda squirted in a glop of KY). And
it needed plain old white rice and/or noodles.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > Awhile back I posted about how to get "that" flavor for oriental food.
> >
> > Everyone seemed to agree on Oyster sauce, so I finally got around to
> > getting back to My Thanh and buying some.
> >
> > Today's stir fry:
> >
> > 1 large yellow onion, chopped
> > 1 whole head of fresh garlic, peeled and pressed
> > 1 large bulb of fresh grated ginger root (approx. 3 tbs.)
> > 1 lb. fresh shitake mushrooms de-stemmed and cut in 1/2
> > 1/2 lb. of asparagus string beans broken into 2" sections
> > A 4" section of smoked sausage sliced fine (it needed to be used up!)
> >

> > 1 generous sprinkling of salt free lemon pepper
> > same as above, dried dill weed
> > some mushroom soy sauce
> > approx. 1 cup of very dry merlot wine
> > 2 generous "glops" of oyster sauce
> > a smidgin of sesame oil
> > approx. 2 to 3 tbs. toasted sesame seeds
> >
> > Once the onions were nice and limp, I added to that:
> >
> > 1 lb. peeled and deveined fresh shrimp
> > 3 (leftover) grilled boneless skinless chicken thighs, sliced thin.
> >
> > Cooked until the shrimp just turned pink and the chicken was re-warmed.
> >
> > I wanted to lick the bowl........ ;-d
> >
> > The addition of the wine was accidental.
> > By the time the beans, mushrooms and onions were pretty much done, I was
> > not done peeling the shrimp yet and I needed to add some liquid to the
> > pan to prevent burning. I did NOT want to add water. This wine was so
> > dry, it was pretty much only useful for cooking so I added enough to wet
> > the pan while I was finishing up the shrimp.
> >
> > It worked. ;-D
> >
> > Sorry, no jpegs. I was hungry and so was dad...

> Sounds good... needed a sauce (corn starch n' stock slurry), then you'd
> not have that dryness problem.

I thought about that, but I generally use Arrowroot as it's less likely
to "break" under refrigeration. I'm nearly out at the moment. :-)

Would not hurt to use it even now if I made the sauce seperately. I'd
not want to ruin the shrimp by over-cooking on reheating. I have stock
on hand and there is some very flavorful juice in the bowl with the
leftovers.

> And
> it needed plain old white rice and/or noodles.

I'm low carbing... ;-)

But I do have some Shitake on hand. It would need to be pre-cooked first
in some plain stock and soy sauce.

Thanks Shel'!

<smooch>
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Sounds good... needed a sauce (corn starch n' stock slurry), then you'd
> not have that dryness problem (coulda squirted in a glop of KY). And
> it needed plain old white rice and/or noodles.

Dammit! I meant Shirataki, not Shitake! <sigh>

One is a noodle, one is a mushroom......
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote:
> >
> > Sounds good... needed a sauce (corn starch n' stock slurry), then you'd
> > not have that dryness problem (coulda squirted in a glop of KY). And
> > it needed plain old white rice and/or noodles.
> >

> Dammit! I meant Shirataki, not Shitake! <sigh>
>
> One is a noodle, one is a mushroom......

Jullienne a chunk of tofu.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > "Sheldon" wrote:
> > >
> > > Sounds good... needed a sauce (corn starch n' stock slurry), then you'd
> > > not have that dryness problem (coulda squirted in a glop of KY). And
> > > it needed plain old white rice and/or noodles.
> > >

> > Dammit! I meant Shirataki, not Shitake! <sigh>
> >
> > One is a noodle, one is a mushroom......

> Jullienne a chunk of tofu.
>
> Sheldon

Ew. :-P

Still too high in carbs...

Scrambled eggs maybe.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 14:50:41 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >Awhile back I posted about how to get "that" flavor for oriental food.
> >
> >Everyone seemed to agree on Oyster sauce, so I finally got around to
> >getting back to My Thanh and buying some.

> That was me, I'm sure ;-)

You were one of a few, and I appreciated it, thanks!

> Which brand did you end up getting?

Amoy. It was lower in Sodium than some, and a reasonable price so I
decided to give it a shot. I also picked up a large bottle of mushroom
soy sauce.

> I've been shopping around for a new brand since the LKK Premium
> sauce (with the gondola on the front) is just too sweet for me
> nowdays.

If I want sweet, I'll use Hoisin.

> Tonight I picked up some Thai Makrea brand, and Dynasty. Dynasty
> is OK, but still sweet. The Thai brand isn't sweet, but it lacks
> flavor.
>
> I really want to find Amoy brand again. My Thanh used to carry
> it, but not the last time I was there.

I bought this Amoy at My Thanh. :-)
It's excellent.

> -sw

Cheers!
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> Awhile back I posted about how to get "that" flavor for oriental food.
>
> Everyone seemed to agree on Oyster sauce, so I finally got around to
> getting back to My Thanh and buying some.

Another good condiment is Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce if you like
slightly hot, spicy and sweet with a hint of garlic. It's available in
the asian section of many grocery stores. A 32-oz bottle is about $
2.50. For a fusion meal, use it as a dipping sauce for taquitos.

http://americangourmetfoods.com/view...&subcategory=0

Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message

> Dammit! I meant Shirataki, not Shitake! <sigh>
>
> One is a noodle, one is a mushroom......

"This is my rifle, this is my gun..."

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Rusty" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > Awhile back I posted about how to get "that" flavor for oriental food.
> >
> > Everyone seemed to agree on Oyster sauce, so I finally got around to
> > getting back to My Thanh and buying some.
> >

> Another good condiment is Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce if you like
> slightly hot, spicy and sweet with a hint of garlic. It's available in
> the asian section of many grocery stores. A 32-oz bottle is about $
> 2.50. For a fusion meal, use it as a dipping sauce for taquitos.
>
> http://americangourmetfoods.com/view...4&subcategory=
> 0
>
> Rusty

Thanks!
I've never tried out any chili sauces... If I want hot/garlicy, I
generally start from scratch but since I don't always have the time, a
decent short cut is appreciated.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Myers" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
>
> > Dammit! I meant Shirataki, not Shitake! <sigh>
> >
> > One is a noodle, one is a mushroom......

> "This is my rifle, this is my gun..."
>

> Bob M.

One is for work and one is for fun....... ;-D

"Full Metal Jacket" quote.
--
Peace, Om.