Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lighten these dumplings?

A family dumpling recipe goes:

3/4 C flour
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp oil
1/4 C milk
1 tsp salt
Garlic powder if you like it. (my addition)

Mix and spoon in small portions into boiling water. Cover (watch out - it
boils over! try to leave a big gap between lid and pot). Simmer 15
minutes.

Problem is, these come out somewhat chewy sometimes. Anyone know anything
I could change to make them a little bit lighter and airier?

TIA.

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
> A family dumpling recipe goes:
>
> 3/4 C flour
> 1 egg
> 1 1/2 tsp oil
> 1/4 C milk
> 1 tsp salt
> Garlic powder if you like it. (my addition)
>
> Mix and spoon in small portions into boiling water. Cover (watch out - it
> boils over! try to leave a big gap between lid and pot). Simmer 15
> minutes.
>
> Problem is, these come out somewhat chewy sometimes. Anyone know anything
> I could change to make them a little bit lighter and airier?
>
> TIA.
>
> Ken

Chewy is usually because you overwork them. But you can add some baking
powder to "fluff them up".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken" > wrote in message
>A family dumpling recipe goes:
>
> 3/4 C flour
> 1 egg
> 1 1/2 tsp oil
> 1/4 C milk
> 1 tsp salt
> Garlic powder if you like it. (my addition)
>
> Mix and spoon in small portions into boiling water. Cover (watch out - it
> boils over! try to leave a big gap between lid and pot). Simmer 15
> minutes.
>
> Problem is, these come out somewhat chewy sometimes. Anyone know anything
> I could change to make them a little bit lighter and airier?
>
> TIA.
>
> Ken

Many recipes will add a little baking powder.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

As example:

2 c. flour
4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 c. milk
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. butter

Cook 12 minutes in covered kettle.

1 c. flour, sifted
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. buttermilk

Sift together dry ingredients; stir in buttermilk until well blended. Turn
dough onto lightly floured board and knead until smooth (not sticky). Roll
dough to 1/4" wide with lightly floured rolling pin; cut into 1/2" wide
strips then into 3" long pieces. Drop strips into large pot of simmering
broth or soup; cover and simmer about 12 minutes or until strips are done.
Yield: about 30 small dumplings. These easy to make dumplings are delicious
in chicken soup or may be used with traditional stewing chicken for chicken
and dumplings. Creighton

2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 egg, well beaten
2/3 c. milk
2 tbsp. melted butter

Put cover on kettle, simmer soup low heat, about 30 minutes. Before
serving (mix feather dumplings), sifting dry ingredients together. Add egg,
melted butter or margarine and enough milk to make moist, stiff batter.
Drop by teaspoons into boiling liquid. Cook, covered and without "peeking"
18-20 minutes or until dumplings are done. Yield: 10-12. Serves 10-12.
(Augustaville)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in
:

> "Ken" > wrote in message
>>A family dumpling recipe goes:
>>
>> 3/4 C flour
>> 1 egg
>> 1 1/2 tsp oil
>> 1/4 C milk
>> 1 tsp salt
>> Garlic powder if you like it. (my addition)
>>
>> Mix and spoon in small portions into boiling water. Cover (watch out
>> - it boils over! try to leave a big gap between lid and pot). Simmer
>> 15 minutes.
>>
>> Problem is, these come out somewhat chewy sometimes. Anyone know
>> anything I could change to make them a little bit lighter and airier?
>>
>> TIA.
>>
>> Ken

> Many recipes will add a little baking powder.

How much? 1/2 tsp? 1 tsp? I'm not familiar with using baking powder - not
in any of the recipes I normally make.

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken > wrote in
:

> "Dimitri" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "Ken" > wrote in message
>>>A family dumpling recipe goes:
>>>
>>> 3/4 C flour
>>> 1 egg
>>> 1 1/2 tsp oil
>>> 1/4 C milk
>>> 1 tsp salt
>>> Garlic powder if you like it. (my addition)
>>>
>>> Mix and spoon in small portions into boiling water. Cover (watch out
>>> - it boils over! try to leave a big gap between lid and pot). Simmer
>>> 15 minutes.
>>>
>>> Problem is, these come out somewhat chewy sometimes. Anyone know
>>> anything I could change to make them a little bit lighter and
>>> airier?
>>>
>>> TIA.
>>>
>>> Ken

>> Many recipes will add a little baking powder.
>>

> How much? 1/2 tsp? 1 tsp? I'm not familiar with using baking powder -
> not in any of the recipes I normally make.
>
> Ken

I'd start out with a scant 1 tsp for the first batch and decide from
there if more or less is required for best results...see following recipe
for general idea.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Dumplings

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon Baking powder
1 Egg
1/4 cup milk
Salt

Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in bowl. Add egg and milk, mix
quickly.

Drop on chicken, cover and cook 20 minutes with fire low.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster 2.0d & SNT on 4/9/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 560 Calories; 8g Fat (12.5%
calories from fat); 20g Protein; 100g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber;
195mg Cholesterol; 575mg Sodium. Exchanges: 6 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9 Jul 2008 15:39:55 GMT, Ken > wrote:

>A family dumpling recipe goes:
>
>3/4 C flour
>1 egg
>1 1/2 tsp oil
>1/4 C milk
>1 tsp salt
>Garlic powder if you like it. (my addition)
>
>Mix and spoon in small portions into boiling water. Cover (watch out - it
>boils over! try to leave a big gap between lid and pot). Simmer 15
>minutes.
>
>Problem is, these come out somewhat chewy sometimes. Anyone know anything
>I could change to make them a little bit lighter and airier?
>
>TIA.

Why are you boiling them?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in :

> Why are you boiling them?

How else can you cook dumplings? Through out history from the dawn of time
dumplings have been boiled...maybe not always in just plain water but a
boiling liquid is required (and not oil). Simmered in with stewing chicken
counts as boiling. If you bake them they're called biscuits.

As a child my favorite lunch was a plate of boiled dumplings with fried
bread cubes and onions.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 17:48:18 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:

> Simmered in with stewing chicken counts as boiling.

First of all, chicken and dumplings is not soup although you could
call it soupy. Secondly, simmering is not boiling, and when you rest
the dumplings on chicken parts.... it's not rolling around in boiling
water. So, it's fluffier.

Emeril's recipe from FTV

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup minced fresh soft herbs, such as parsley, tarragon, and green
onion tops
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons milk

Prepare the dumplings: In a medium bowl, mix the flour, herbs, baking
powder, and salt together. In a small saucepan over low heat, bring
the butter and milk to a simmer. Add the butter and milk mixture to
the dry ingredients, stirring with a fork until the mixture just comes
together. Drop batter by spoonfuls onto a baking sheet and cover with
plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Place the dumplings on top of the chicken mixture. Cover and simmer
until the dumplings are cooked through, about 15 minutes. Serve in
large soup bowls, garnished with the parsley.

My recipe from Betty Crocker (the better way)

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2t baking powder
1/4t salt
3T shortening
1/4 cup milk

Measure flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Cut in shortening
thoroughly until mixture looks like meal. Stir in milk.

Drop by spoonfuls onto hot chicken. Cook uncovered 10 minutes, cover
and cook 20 minutes longer.

Works every time. http://i36.tinypic.com/2hcjhnd.jpg

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken" > wrote in message
>A family dumpling recipe goes:
>
> 3/4 C flour
> 1 egg
> 1 1/2 tsp oil
> 1/4 C milk
> 1 tsp salt
> Garlic powder if you like it. (my addition)
>
> Mix and spoon in small portions into boiling water. Cover (watch out - it
> boils over! try to leave a big gap between lid and pot). Simmer 15
> minutes.
>
> Problem is, these come out somewhat chewy sometimes. Anyone know anything
> I could change to make them a little bit lighter and airier?

Soda water may help, it works for tempura. Try to work the dough as little
as possible.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken" > wrote in message
> "Dimitri" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "Ken" > wrote in message
>>>A family dumpling recipe goes:
>>>
>>> 3/4 C flour
>>> 1 egg
>>> 1 1/2 tsp oil
>>> 1/4 C milk
>>> 1 tsp salt
>>> Garlic powder if you like it. (my addition)
>>>
>>> Mix and spoon in small portions into boiling water. Cover (watch out
>>> - it boils over! try to leave a big gap between lid and pot). Simmer
>>> 15 minutes.
>>>
>>> Problem is, these come out somewhat chewy sometimes. Anyone know
>>> anything I could change to make them a little bit lighter and airier?
>>>
>>> TIA.
>>>
>>> Ken

>> Many recipes will add a little baking powder.
>>

> How much? 1/2 tsp? 1 tsp? I'm not familiar with using baking powder - not
> in any of the recipes I normally make.
>
> Ken

Look at the recipes to determine the ratio you like. The more baking powder
the more bubbles (gas) in the dumplings,

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken" > wrote in message
>A family dumpling recipe goes:
>
> 3/4 C flour
> 1 egg
> 1 1/2 tsp oil
> 1/4 C milk
> 1 tsp salt
> Garlic powder if you like it. (my addition)
>
> Mix and spoon in small portions into boiling water. Cover (watch out - it
> boils over! try to leave a big gap between lid and pot). Simmer 15
> minutes.
>
> Problem is, these come out somewhat chewy sometimes. Anyone know anything
> I could change to make them a little bit lighter and airier?
>
> TIA.
>
> Ken

Easy enough...add a little baking powder with the flour.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 09 Jul 2008 10:14:57p, Nexis told us...

> "Ken" > wrote in message
>>A family dumpling recipe goes:
>>
>> 3/4 C flour
>> 1 egg
>> 1 1/2 tsp oil
>> 1/4 C milk
>> 1 tsp salt
>> Garlic powder if you like it. (my addition)
>>
>> Mix and spoon in small portions into boiling water. Cover (watch out -

it
>> boils over! try to leave a big gap between lid and pot). Simmer 15
>> minutes.
>>
>> Problem is, these come out somewhat chewy sometimes. Anyone know

anything
>> I could change to make them a little bit lighter and airier?
>>
>> TIA.
>>
>> Ken
>>

> Easy enough...add a little baking powder with the flour.
>
> kimberly

Yep, probably a scant teaspoon. You could also substitute buttermilk for
the milk (you might need a bit more of buttermilk), and about 1/2 teaspoon
of baking soda.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 07(VII)/09(IX)/08(MMVIII)