Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

Default Sandra Lee Wants Everyone To "Lighten Up" About Her Terrible Cooking

It's pretty easy to harp on New York's Semi-First Lady, Sandra Lee, and
her "Semi-Homemade" cooking. Even Governor Cuomo's mom is on board! But
Sandra Lee says everyone needs to shut up about her recipes, like "Bat
Wings with Goblin Dip." "I think everyone needs to lighten up," she told
the Daily News. "Our job is to serve the overextended homemakers, our
job is to make their life better." She also says, "My recipes are
created from what people are buying at the grocery stores," which
apparently involves acorns. Behold, the Kwanzaa Cake (video below)!

Sandra Lee started her career selling home decorating kits on
infomercials before transitioning into the "semi-homemade" food
business. And she's never made any apologies for not making things from
scratch. She once told Gourmet magazine, "We go to the grocery store and
we all feel guilty because we’re not doing it from scratch. Can I tell
you something? These big kitchens buy the exact same product with a
different flavor and they call it a commercial line. They’re not making
bouillabaisse, either. They’re not. None of these guys are doing it. Not
the most recognized chefs in the world." But where do you draw the line
between cooking from scratch and stuffing marshmallows into a
store-bought angel food cake and calling it cooking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we2iW...layer_embedded

--
That's the great thing about Semi-Homemade Cooking: No matter how bad
we think it's going to be, Sandy manages to make it even worse.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

She has no qualifications as a cook, AFAIK. She never spent a day in
culinary school or owned or cooked in a restaurant, probably never
spent a day working the fryer at McDonalds. There are cooks on the
Food Network with a thin culinary resume (Rachel Ray comes to mind)
but Rachel CAN cook and compared to Sandra Lee, Rachel Ray is like
Julia Child. As we learned from the fallout following the infamous
Kwanzaa cake, she doesn't even develop most of these recipes on her
own, she purchases them from others, as she bought the Kwanzaa cake
recipe from somebody else who developed that culinary crime against
humanity. I bet she doesn't even come up with the tablescapes
either. I made the comment once before that after the shooting of the
show is over, I guarantee that all that food Sandra makes winds up in
the trashcan or is fed to animals; you know the camera people and
behind the scenes people don't eat any of that garbage she makes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ubiquitous wrote:

> .... "Our job is to serve the
> overextended homemakers, our job is to make their life better." She
> also says, "My recipes are created from what people are buying at the
> grocery stores,"....

SLop not only thinks that she has a market in exploiting "overextended
homemakers", but, by doing what she does, she demonstrates an utter contempt
for their intelligence and their sense of good taste as well.

--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ubiquitous wrote:
> It's pretty easy to harp on New York's Semi-First Lady, Sandra Lee,
> and her "Semi-Homemade" cooking. Even Governor Cuomo's mom is on
> board! But Sandra Lee says everyone needs to shut up about her
> recipes, like "Bat Wings with Goblin Dip." "I think everyone needs to
> lighten up," she told the Daily News. "Our job is to serve the
> overextended homemakers, our job is to make their life better." She
> also says, "My recipes are created from what people are buying at the
> grocery stores," which apparently involves acorns. Behold, the
> Kwanzaa Cake (video below)!
>
> Sandra Lee started her career selling home decorating kits on
> infomercials before transitioning into the "semi-homemade" food
> business. And she's never made any apologies for not making things
> from scratch. She once told Gourmet magazine, "We go to the grocery
> store and we all feel guilty because we're not doing it from scratch.
> Can I tell you something? These big kitchens buy the exact same
> product with a different flavor and they call it a commercial line.
> They're not making bouillabaisse, either. They're not. None of these
> guys are doing it. Not the most recognized chefs in the world." But
> where do you draw the line between cooking from scratch and stuffing
> marshmallows into a store-bought angel food cake and calling it
> cooking?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we2iW...layer_embedded

I've never seen this woman before, but I don't get why what she does in
that video is a big deal. She has an idea of how to put a few things
together, and if you wanted to make your own angel food cake, your own
vanilla butter cream icing, and your own cooked apples, you could - no
one's stopping you. She comes across as Suzie Home Maker, not a chef -
nothing wrong with that. Her whole thing seems rather Ozzie and Harriet
to me and, again, there's nothing wrong with that. Nothing very
interesting, either, at least to me.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 29, 2:12*pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Ubiquitous wrote:
> > .... "Our job is to serve the
> > overextended homemakers, our job is to make their life better." She
> > also says, "My recipes are created from what people are buying at the
> > grocery stores,"....

> SLop not only thinks that she has a market in exploiting "overextended
> homemakers", but, by doing what she does, she demonstrates an utter contempt
> for their intelligence and their sense of good taste as well.

From what I gather her stuff is no worse than much of what's found on
Stu's website, and her use of "ingredients" isn't much more than
exaggeration of stuff that regulars on here do, using canned "cream
of" soups, onion soup packets, evaporated milk, condiments as
ingredients, egg whites in fresh mayo (or worse, jarred mayo as an
ingredient), cleaning-out-the-fridge soups and stews...

If Ubiquitous wants to end her crappy show, why doesn't he suggest an
email campaign to the network telling them we're boycotting the whole
network until they take that crap off. I think he likes to hear
himself bitch, and SL gives him good fodder. Just like Right-wing
talk show hosts loved Bill Clinton, and Left-wing talk show hosts
loved GW Bush.

> --
> Dave

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 May 2011 14:20:52 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> If Ubiquitous wants to end her crappy show, why doesn't he suggest an
> email campaign to the network telling them we're boycotting the whole
> network until they take that crap off. I think he likes to hear
> himself bitch, and SL gives him good fodder. Just like Right-wing
> talk show hosts loved Bill Clinton, and Left-wing talk show hosts
> loved GW Bush.

Ubiquitous is free publicity... or maybe even on the SL payroll. Many
readers here wouldn't watch her show or look at episodes on YouTube
without being reminded. If it wasn't for all that harping she would
have been off the air long ago, but Ubi is drumming up business and
increasing viewing statistics. <shrug> Ubi and SL are both off my
radar screen until I clear out my kill files, and I am now reminded
that I have to re-kill anything with Sandra Lee in the topic header
too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:

> Ubiquitous wrote:
> > It's pretty easy to harp on New York's Semi-First Lady, Sandra Lee,
> > and her "Semi-Homemade" cooking. Even Governor Cuomo's mom is on
> > board! But Sandra Lee says everyone needs to shut up about her
> > recipes, like "Bat Wings with Goblin Dip." "I think everyone needs to
> > lighten up," she told the Daily News. "Our job is to serve the
> > overextended homemakers, our job is to make their life better." She
> > also says, "My recipes are created from what people are buying at the
> > grocery stores," which apparently involves acorns. Behold, the
> > Kwanzaa Cake (video below)!
> >
> > Sandra Lee started her career selling home decorating kits on
> > infomercials before transitioning into the "semi-homemade" food
> > business. And she's never made any apologies for not making things
> > from scratch. She once told Gourmet magazine, "We go to the grocery
> > store and we all feel guilty because we're not doing it from scratch.
> > Can I tell you something? These big kitchens buy the exact same
> > product with a different flavor and they call it a commercial line.
> > They're not making bouillabaisse, either. They're not. None of these
> > guys are doing it. Not the most recognized chefs in the world." But
> > where do you draw the line between cooking from scratch and stuffing
> > marshmallows into a store-bought angel food cake and calling it
> > cooking?
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we2iW...layer_embedded

> I've never seen this woman before, but I don't get why what she does in
> that video is a big deal. She has an idea of how to put a few things
> together, and if you wanted to make your own angel food cake, your own
> vanilla butter cream icing, and your own cooked apples, you could - no
> one's stopping you. She comes across as Suzie Home Maker, not a chef -
> nothing wrong with that. Her whole thing seems rather Ozzie and Harriet
> to me and, again, there's nothing wrong with that. Nothing very
> interesting, either, at least to me.
>
> -S-

The type of pseudo-cooking she promotes convinces many people that
horrible unhealthy processed foods are ok if you doctor them up a bit.
This is one of the problems behind the obesity and diabetis epidemics.