Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_3_] sf[_3_] is offline

Default Lighten these dumplings?

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 17:48:18 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:

> Simmered in with stewing chicken counts as boiling.

First of all, chicken and dumplings is not soup although you could
call it soupy. Secondly, simmering is not boiling, and when you rest
the dumplings on chicken parts.... it's not rolling around in boiling
water. So, it's fluffier.

Emeril's recipe from FTV

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup minced fresh soft herbs, such as parsley, tarragon, and green
onion tops
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons milk

Prepare the dumplings: In a medium bowl, mix the flour, herbs, baking
powder, and salt together. In a small saucepan over low heat, bring
the butter and milk to a simmer. Add the butter and milk mixture to
the dry ingredients, stirring with a fork until the mixture just comes
together. Drop batter by spoonfuls onto a baking sheet and cover with
plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Place the dumplings on top of the chicken mixture. Cover and simmer
until the dumplings are cooked through, about 15 minutes. Serve in
large soup bowls, garnished with the parsley.

My recipe from Betty Crocker (the better way)

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2t baking powder
1/4t salt
3T shortening
1/4 cup milk

Measure flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Cut in shortening
thoroughly until mixture looks like meal. Stir in milk.

Drop by spoonfuls onto hot chicken. Cook uncovered 10 minutes, cover
and cook 20 minutes longer.

Works every time. http://i36.tinypic.com/2hcjhnd.jpg

Mae West