Old 23-06-2008, 09:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Creamed chipped beef recipe?

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
"Chris Marksberry" wrote:

Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of ounces
- two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe ingredients
didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC doesn't have a
recipe, or if it does I can't find it.

I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've been
disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.

Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these days? I
haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged lunch
meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.

TIA

Ken

This is basically what everyone else said, but I put together a recipe for
my own use:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Creamed Chipped Beef

Recipe By :Chris Marksberry
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :30:00
Categories : Beef Easy
Meat

4 1/2 ounces chipped beef -- (2 jars)
2 cups 2% milk
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter or margarine

Use margarine, and you can call it Shittier Than Shit On a Shingle.
You proudly put your name on the recipe. That's funny.
There's not much that says, "White Trash," more than a recipe with
reduced butterfat milk and margarine.

pepper

Make cream sauce with flour, butter, and milk. Slice chipped beef and add
to cream sauce. Serve over noodles, toast, or baked potato.

I've never eaten it and I've heard it's very salty. Do you rinse the
beef, Chris?

It's hideous. That anyone who wasn't in the Army would ever develop a
taste for it is amazing.

--Bryan

Old 23-06-2008, 09:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:12:44 -0700 (PDT), Karen
wrote:

On Jun 23, 9:57*am, Ken wrote:
Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of ounces
- two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe ingredients
didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC doesn't have a
recipe, or if it does I can't find it.

I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've been
disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.

Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these days? I
haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged lunch
meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.

I haven't seen dried beef in the markets, either.

I see Buddig all the time. Lots of stores around here have generic
stuff that's even cheaper. I prefer it to the jars. One place had
the generic packs 20 for 10 bucks a few months ago. One of our kids
can easily eat two packs in one meal.

http://www.buddig.com/original_cb.html

Lou
Old 23-06-2008, 10:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
On Jun 23, 11:57 am, Ken wrote:
Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of ounces
- two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe ingredients
didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC doesn't have a
recipe, or if it does I can't find it.

I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've been
disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.

Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these days? I
haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged lunch
meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.

TIA

Ken

Just make a basic white sauce and add the diced chipped beef. Pepper
and/or other spices to taste. I love it, but it's an indulgence for
me.

There are packages of "dried beef" hanging on the pegs in the lunch
meat aisle. For the authentic, old-timey stuff, still in glass jars
in the canned meat aisle.

N.

I was in a Big Lots store not to long ago and found four jars of chipped
beef, the small ones, for 49 cents each. Got all four of them. We ate
the last a couple of weeks ago.
Old 23-06-2008, 10:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Huffy and Bubbles Do France:http://www.jamlady.eboard.com- Hide quoted text -

We had it quite frequently when I was a child. I thought it was a
midwestern staple, I did.

It is very salty - but that's part of the goodness. No, don't rinse
it. If you use the refrigerated packaged stuff, it isn't as salty as
the authentic, old-fashion kind found in the canned meat aisle in
glass jars. You takes yer choice. I like the old-style stuff, myself
- and to make it even better, make the white sauce, add pepper, throw
in the diced up dried beef, and add some quartered hard-boiled eggs.
Pour it over white bread toast. Yumm.

N.

At least once a week we had SOS (use your imagination), aka chipped
dried beef on toast, for breakfast in the Navy. That was about up to 48
years ago, they probably don't serve it anymore. The other oddity was
fried bologna, baked beans, and hard boiled eggs for breakfast. Only ran
into that on one ship I was on. Luckily young men will eat about
anything so it went over pretty good.
Old 23-06-2008, 10:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
"Chris Marksberry" wrote:

[...]

It's salty, that's why it's so good.
If you don't want as much salt you can chop it and soak it in a little milk.
Drain off the salty milk before putting in the white sauce.

Old 23-06-2008, 10:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Jun 23, 9:57*am, Ken wrote:
Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of
ounces - two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe
ingredients didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC
doesn't have a recipe, or if it does I can't find it.

I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've
been disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.

Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these
days? I haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and
packaged lunch meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.

I haven't seen dried beef in the markets, either.

I see Buddig all the time. Lots of stores around here have generic

I was going to suggest that, but I didn't know if that was the same kind
of beef that was being sought here. I haven't had SOS since I was a yoot.
I liked it then; I'd probably like it today.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old 24-06-2008, 12:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Marksberry wrote:

This is basically what everyone else said, but I put together a recipe for
my own use:

4 1/2 ounces chipped beef -- (2 jars)
2 cups 2% milk
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
pepper

That's a mighty thin white sauce, isn't it?

Old 24-06-2008, 01:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen wrote:

Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these days? I
haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged lunch
meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.

I haven't seen dried beef in the markets, either.

In the commissary it is always next to the spam, potted meat and canned
salmon and stuff like that.
Old 24-06-2008, 01:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

At least once a week we had SOS (use your imagination), aka chipped
dried beef on toast, for breakfast in the Navy. That was about up to 48
years ago, they probably don't serve it anymore. The other oddity was
fried bologna, baked beans, and hard boiled eggs for breakfast. Only ran
into that on one ship I was on. Luckily young men will eat about
anything so it went over pretty good.

It took their mind off the abstinence, I imagine?

Old 24-06-2008, 01:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

I was going to suggest that, but I didn't know if that was the same kind
of beef that was being sought here. I haven't had SOS since I was a yoot.
I liked it then; I'd probably like it today.

When I make creamed chipped beef I use Armour. I think the Carl Buddig
stuff is softer, perhaps not as "dried" and salty??

I like it as my mother made- served on large rye & pumpernickle baked
croutons she baked up.

Old 24-06-2008, 01:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
Karen wrote:

Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these
days? I
haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged
lunch
meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.

I haven't seen dried beef in the markets, either.

In the commissary it is always next to the spam, potted meat and canned
salmon and stuff like that.

The icky section.

--Bryan
Old 24-06-2008, 01:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

At least once a week we had SOS (use your imagination), aka chipped
dried beef on toast, for breakfast in the Navy. That was about up to
48 years ago, they probably don't serve it anymore. The other oddity
was fried bologna, baked beans, and hard boiled eggs for breakfast.
Only ran into that on one ship I was on. Luckily young men will eat
about anything so it went over pretty good.

It took their mind off the abstinence, I imagine?

That, and the incessant masturbation.

--Bryan
Old 24-06-2008, 01:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

At least once a week we had SOS (use your imagination), aka chipped
dried beef on toast, for breakfast in the Navy. That was about up to
48 years ago, they probably don't serve it anymore. The other oddity
was fried bologna, baked beans, and hard boiled eggs for breakfast.
Only ran into that on one ship I was on. Luckily young men will eat
about anything so it went over pretty good.

It took their mind off the abstinence, I imagine?

Not much abstinence in that bunch. The two ships I served on were in and
outers. Leave port at 0700 back at 1600, running anti-submarine
exercises. Sometimes out for a week, once or twice for a month or more.
Peace time stuff training to fight the Evil Empire.
Old 24-06-2008, 01:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Marksberry wrote:

This is basically what everyone else said, but I put together a recipe
for my own use:

4 1/2 ounces chipped beef -- (2 jars)
2 cups 2% milk
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
pepper

That's a mighty thin white sauce, isn't it?

Yep, and it's meant to be. After I add the sliced beef to the sauce it
thickens to the texture of a thick white sauce after it has cooled a bit. I
usually make creamed chipped beef an hour or so ahead of time and then
reheat it when we get hungry.

Old 24-06-2008, 01:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

BoboBonobo wrote:
Goomba wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

At least once a week we had SOS (use your imagination), aka chipped
dried beef on toast, for breakfast in the Navy. That was about up to
48 years ago, they probably don't serve it anymore. The other oddity
was fried bologna, baked beans, and hard boiled eggs for breakfast.
Only ran into that on one ship I was on. Luckily young men will eat
about anything so it went over pretty good.

It took their mind off the abstinence, I imagine?

That, and the incessant masturbation.

--Bryan

You've obviously never been aboard an old destroyer. Fifty men sleeping
in bunks stacked four high, no privacy and if you're caught wanking you
get Captain's Mast. Lots easier just to wait for shore leave.