Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Creamed chipped beef recipe?

l, not -l wrote:

> Take a look here to see what the Armour jars look like:
> http://www.armour-star.com/products_dried_beef.html
>
> and here for the Hormel jars (available in 2 sizes):
> http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/ho...DriedBeef.aspx

Thanks. I'll keep the mental image in my mind.

Uh...I guess that's the only place I *can* keep a mental image.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> I'm not sure I've ever *seen* it in jars, much less bought it. I'll look
>> for some, just to see the difference. When I say "jars" I mean glass or
>> plastic containers as versus metal cans -- same with you?
>>

> Glass jars, never plasic, and never metal cans or packets.

LOL, the small glass jars make good juice glasses. My family always had
a mess of them, along with the little hour glass shaped jars that small
frozen shrimp cocktails came in back in the 60's.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "Ken" > wrote in message
> > Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe?

> Ken, I just made a medium white sauce and add the beef, simmer for ten
> minutes and put on toast. White toast.

That's how my mom did it; I use toasted split English muffins for a bit
more substance.

Mom also used to do exactly the same thing, but with a can of tuna
substituted for the dried beef.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> LOL, the small glass jars make good juice glasses. My family always had
> a mess of them, along with the little hour glass shaped jars that small
> frozen shrimp cocktails came in back in the 60's.

You didn't open them without a beer can opener's rounded end. Get an
opener with a soda. Get an opener with a beer. Get a dozen if you asked
from any food merchant in town for free. I just looked. I don't have one
now. Where'd they all go? If a current kid found one, would they think
it was an artifact?

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

isw wrote:

> In article >,
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> "Ken" > wrote in message
>> > Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe?

>> Ken, I just made a medium white sauce and add the beef, simmer for ten
>> minutes and put on toast. White toast.

> That's how my mom did it; I use toasted split English muffins for a bit
> more substance.

I ran across (and bought, and have been eating) a loaf of "English muffin
bread" the other day. I've never seen that before. It's fun. It's not
as holey.

--
Blinky T. "Holey bread, Batman!'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article >,
> Goomba > wrote:
>
>> LOL, the small glass jars make good juice glasses. My family always had
>> a mess of them, along with the little hour glass shaped jars that small
>> frozen shrimp cocktails came in back in the 60's.

> You didn't open them without a beer can opener's rounded end. Get an

I believe in the vernacular that would be called the "bottle opener".

> opener with a soda. Get an opener with a beer. Get a dozen if you asked
> from any food merchant in town for free. I just looked. I don't have one
> now. Where'd they all go?

I have them, and it'll cost you a pretty penny to get any.

Actually, I think I have seen one around here fairly recently.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
NEW --> Now evaluating a GG-free news feed: http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
> Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
> was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of ounces
> - two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe ingredients
> didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC doesn't have a
> recipe, or if it does I can't find it.

I make it now and then. You can see my picture and recipe at
http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejournal/pic/000888g6/

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .net>,
Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> I have them, and it'll cost you a pretty penny to get any.

By the way and back on (sorta) topic, I have always loved creamed shrimp
on toast. Substitute a can of small shrimp instead of beef in white
sauce on toast. Don't substitute fresh or frozen shrimp for this.
I'll use a metal detector to get all the *bottle* openers I want in
specific places near where I grew up. Hamm's, the beer refreshing.
That was the bottle opener, not my choice of beers.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> I ran across (and bought, and have been eating) a loaf of "English muffin
> bread" the other day. I've never seen that before. It's fun. It's not
> as holey.

I used to make this all the time years ago using the microwave version.
GREAT stuff! I think I need to make some again soon.

* Exported from MasterCook *

English Muffin Loaf

Recipe By :Fleishmann's Yeast Co.
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breads Breakfast

6 cups unsifted flour
2 packages active dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups milk
1/2 cup water
cornmeal

Combine 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda. Heat milk and
water until very warm. Add to dry ingredients and beat well. Stir in
the remaining 3 cups of flour to make a stiff batter. Spoon into 2 loaf
pans that have been greased and sprinkled with cornmeal. Sprinkle tops
with cornmeal. Cover: let rise in a warm place, free from draft, for 45
min. Bake at 400 for 25 min. Remove from pans and cool.

To make in Microwave:
prepare as directed except reduce the white flour by 1 cup when stirring
in the second addition of flour to make a stiff batter. Spoon batter
into two loaf dishes that are greased and sprinkled with cornmeal.
Rise as direceted.
Microwave each loaf on high for 6 min 30 seconds. Allow to rest for 5
min before removing from pans.

To serve slice and toast:
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article .net>,
> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> I have them, and it'll cost you a pretty penny to get any.

> By the way and back on (sorta) topic, I have always loved creamed shrimp
> on toast. Substitute a can of small shrimp instead of beef in white

You have made me crave some Thai toast. Mmmmmmm......

> sauce on toast. Don't substitute fresh or frozen shrimp for this.
> I'll use a metal detector to get all the *bottle* openers I want in
> specific places near where I grew up. Hamm's, the beer refreshing.

<tom tom continues>

From the land of sky-blue waters.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
NEW --> Now evaluating a GG-free news feed: http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

isw wrote:
> In article >,
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> "Ken" > wrote in message
>>> Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe?

>> Ken, I just made a medium white sauce and add the beef, simmer for ten
>> minutes and put on toast. White toast.

> That's how my mom did it; I use toasted split English muffins for a bit
> more substance.
>
> Mom also used to do exactly the same thing, but with a can of tuna
> substituted for the dried beef.
>
> Isaac

Tuna gravy! I grew up on the stuff served over rice and fed it to my
kids when money was tight. Old days it was one 6 ounce can of tuna
(about a dime back then), one can of cream of mushroom soup (also a
dime), maybe some onions or other items that would go good. Served over
rice. We bought rice in 42 lb bags for about 3 bucks at a nearby rice
drier and kept the bag in the kitchen. If my father was out on strike we
lived on tuna gravy and rice and one of the 200 white Leghorn chickens
my mother raised from chicks. Got them in the mail from somewhere. What
a memory, I think I'll make tuna gravy and rice this week just for the
memory.

George
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
> Goomba > wrote:
>
>> LOL, the small glass jars make good juice glasses. My family always had
>> a mess of them, along with the little hour glass shaped jars that small
>> frozen shrimp cocktails came in back in the 60's.

> You didn't open them without a beer can opener's rounded end. Get an
> opener with a soda. Get an opener with a beer. Get a dozen if you asked
> from any food merchant in town for free. I just looked. I don't have one
> now. Where'd they all go? If a current kid found one, would they think
> it was an artifact?
>
> leo

they're still around but you have to buy them now. Pretty much any
manual can opener has the bottle opener on one end of the handle too.
Last church key I bought the blamed pointy end broke off so now it's
just a bottle opener.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 24 Jun 2008 05:02:30a, George Shirley told us...

> isw wrote:
>> In article >, "cybercat"
>> > wrote:

>>> Ken, I just made a medium white sauce and add the beef, simmer for ten
>>> minutes and put on toast. White toast.

>> That's how my mom did it; I use toasted split English muffins for a bit
>> more substance.
>>
>> Mom also used to do exactly the same thing, but with a can of tuna
>> substituted for the dried beef.
>>
>> Isaac

> Tuna gravy! I grew up on the stuff served over rice and fed it to my
> kids when money was tight. Old days it was one 6 ounce can of tuna
> (about a dime back then), one can of cream of mushroom soup (also a
> dime), maybe some onions or other items that would go good. Served over
> rice. We bought rice in 42 lb bags for about 3 bucks at a nearby rice
> drier and kept the bag in the kitchen. If my father was out on strike we
> lived on tuna gravy and rice and one of the 200 white Leghorn chickens
> my mother raised from chicks. Got them in the mail from somewhere. What
> a memory, I think I'll make tuna gravy and rice this week just for the
> memory.
>
> George

We used to have it on toast, sometimes with peas in it. Mom called it
creamed tuna on toast, what else? :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 06(VI)/24(XXIV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 3:14*pm, BoboBonobo > wrote:
> mequeenbe.nospam wrote:
>
> > Ken wrote:
> >> Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
> >> was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of ounces
> >> - two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe ingredients
> >> didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC doesn't have a
> >> recipe, or if it does I can't find it.

> >> I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've been
> >> disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.

> >> Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these days? I
> >> haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged lunch
> >> meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.

> >> TIA

> >> Ken

> > check out the alton brown recipes on the food network. *i believe he
> > did a show on making sos.

> There's a REASON why people refer to it as, "Shit On a Shingle."
>
> Maybe the OP should consider whether he wants to be a shit eater.
>

> > harriet

> --Bryan- Hide quoted text -

Chipped dried beef and SOS are two different dishes. The military is
famous for SOS which is ground beef, browned and then added to the
white gravy. Chipped (diced) dried beef is completely different
because it uses thinly-sliced dried beef, not ground beef. Duh.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 4:13*pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
> >> I've never eaten it and I've heard it's very salty. *Do you rinse the
> >> beef, Chris?
> >> --
> >> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> >> Huffy and Bubbles Do France:http://www.jamlady.eboard.com-Hide quoted text -

> > We had it quite frequently when I was a child. *I thought it was a
> > midwestern staple, I did.

> > It is very salty - but that's part of the goodness. *No, don't rinse
> > it. *If you use the refrigerated packaged stuff, it isn't as salty as
> > the authentic, old-fashion kind found in the canned meat aisle in
> > glass jars. *You takes yer choice. *I like the old-style stuff, myself
> > - and to make it even better, make the white sauce, add pepper, throw
> > in the diced up dried beef, and add some quartered hard-boiled eggs.
> > Pour it over white bread toast. *Yumm.

> > N.

> At least once a week we had SOS (use your imagination), aka chipped
> dried beef on toast, for breakfast in the Navy. That was about up to 48
> years ago, they probably don't serve it anymore. The other oddity was
> fried bologna, baked beans, and hard boiled eggs for breakfast. Only ran
> into that on one ship I was on. Luckily young men will eat about
> anything so it went over pretty good.- Hide quoted text -

According to the NASCAR folks, fried bologna (baloney) is a Virginia
thing. Is that right?

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> Ken wrote:
>> Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
>> was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of
>> ounces - two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe
>> ingredients didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC
>> doesn't have a recipe, or if it does I can't find it.

> I make it now and then. You can see my picture and recipe at
> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejournal/pic/000888g6/
>
> Serene

That's pretty much how I make it. I serve it over a Belgian waffle during
brunches now and then.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
>>> We had it quite frequently when I was a child. I thought it was a
>>> midwestern staple, I did.
>>> It is very salty - but that's part of the goodness. No, don't rinse
>>> it. If you use the refrigerated packaged stuff, it isn't as salty as
>>> the authentic, old-fashion kind found in the canned meat aisle in
>>> glass jars. You takes yer choice. I like the old-style stuff, myself
>>> - and to make it even better, make the white sauce, add pepper, throw
>>> in the diced up dried beef, and add some quartered hard-boiled eggs.
>>> Pour it over white bread toast. Yumm.
>>> N.

>> At least once a week we had SOS (use your imagination), aka chipped
>> dried beef on toast, for breakfast in the Navy. That was about up to 48
>> years ago, they probably don't serve it anymore. The other oddity was
>> fried bologna, baked beans, and hard boiled eggs for breakfast. Only ran
>> into that on one ship I was on. Luckily young men will eat about
>> anything so it went over pretty good.- Hide quoted text -

> According to the NASCAR folks, fried bologna (baloney) is a Virginia
> thing. Is that right?
>
> N.

The cook that served it to us was from Virginia, I remember that much.
My wife is from Maryland and her mother was from Virginia, wife loves
fried bologna but I can take it or leave it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:44:59 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:12:44 -0700 (PDT), Karen >
>> wrote:

>>>I haven't seen dried beef in the markets, either.

>> I see Buddig all the time. Lots of stores around here have generic

>I was going to suggest that, but I didn't know if that was the same kind
>of beef that was being sought here.

It's similar, and it seems some here don't like it. I grew up with
Buddig but I've had the jar stuff.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 20:06:25 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> I was going to suggest that, but I didn't know if that was the same kind
>> of beef that was being sought here. I haven't had SOS since I was a yoot.
>> I liked it then; I'd probably like it today.

>When I make creamed chipped beef I use Armour. I think the Carl Buddig
>stuff is softer, perhaps not as "dried" and salty??

I think you're right. Much less salt. I guess if one desires salt
they could add it.

>I like it as my mother made- served on large rye & pumpernickle baked
>croutons she baked up.

I like it on a pile of mashed potatoes.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 22:38:25 -0700, isw > wrote:

>In article >,
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> "Ken" > wrote in message
>> > Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe?

>> Ken, I just made a medium white sauce and add the beef, simmer for ten
>> minutes and put on toast. White toast.

>That's how my mom did it; I use toasted split English muffins for a bit
>more substance.
>
>Mom also used to do exactly the same thing, but with a can of tuna
>substituted for the dried beef.

A can of smoked oysters in oil is great too. I add a small chunk of
blue cheese and serve it over egg noodles. I had a bunch of leftover
crab legs from the weekend, so last night I used the crab meat to make
the same. We had garlic bread with it. Very good stuff.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:29:50 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

>On 24-Jun-2008, Goomba > wrote:
>
>> > Glass jars, never plasic, and never metal cans or packets.
>> >

>> LOL, the small glass jars make good juice glasses. My family always had
>> a mess of them, along with the little hour glass shaped jars that small
>> frozen shrimp cocktails came in back in the 60's.

>I have a cabinet full of them and you are right, they are great juice
>glasses. I also have other great juice glasses, about the same size, that
>are hour-glass shaped and were originally filled with small shrimp in
>cocktail sauce - haven't seen those in a while and can't quite pull the
>brand from the recesses of my memory.

My mom was a Welch's grape jelly fan, so our juice glasses were jelly
jars.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 07:51:51 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>According to the NASCAR folks, fried bologna (baloney) is a Virginia
>thing. Is that right?

We had fried bologna all the time growing up. (Chicago) I like to
slice it thick, nip the edges so it doesn't cup, fry it up and make a
BLT. I actually like it just as much as bacon this way. Louise grew
up in a South side Polish home and they'd fry a bunch of thinner
slices with onions and serve it over bread. She made it once that way
and I didn't like it because the bologna doesn't brown enough.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 10:27*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >> I'm not sure I've ever *seen* it in jars, much less bought it. *I'll look
> >> for some, just to see the difference. *When I say "jars" I mean glass or
> >> plastic containers as versus metal cans -- same with you?

> > Glass jars, never plasic, and never metal cans or packets.

> LOL, the small glass jars make good juice glasses. My family always had
> a mess of them, along with the little hour glass shaped jars that small
> frozen shrimp cocktails came in back in the 60's.

That's pretty funny- we used the shrimp cocktail jars for juice
glasses!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:44:59 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> > wrote:
>
>>Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> I see Buddig all the time. Lots of stores around here have generic

>>I was going to suggest that, but I didn't know if that was the same kind
>>of beef that was being sought here.

> It's similar, and it seems some here don't like it. I grew up with
> Buddig but I've had the jar stuff.

I've never used the Buddig shaved meat packets for anything but
sandwiches, myself. Which is not to say they're not useful for other
things.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
NEW --> Now evaluating a GG-free news feed: http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23 Jun 2008 16:57:50 GMT, Ken > wrote:

>Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
>was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of ounces
>- two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe ingredients
>didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC doesn't have a
>recipe, or if it does I can't find it.
>
>I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've been
>disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.
>
>Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these days? I
>haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged lunch
>meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.
>
>TIA
>
>Ken

in my grocery the dried beef in plastic bags is near the carl budding
and other stuff, with the pre-sliced bologna and such. the dried beef
in jars is elsewhere, i think, probably with the canned corned beef.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:
> On 24-Jun-2008, Nancy2 > wrote:
>
>> According to the NASCAR folks, fried bologna (baloney) is a Virginia
>> thing. Is that right?
>>
>> N.

> As a child growing up in western Kentucky in the late-40s and throughout the
> 50s, we often ate fried b'loney. Sometimes as a sandwich (on white bread
> slathered with mayo), more often as a meal's meat dish when times were lean
> (my dad was an autoworker and was laid off often until he accrued quite a
> few years of service). Fried baloney with eggs and toast for breakfast,
> fried baloney and mush for lunch, pintos and buttered white bread for
> dinner. Heck, sometimes we even had creamed strips of fried baloney on
> toast.

My Dad loved his baloney, had to be the type still in the sausage shape
with the red cover. He would slice it thick. Favorite sandwich was a
quarter inch slice of baloney, equal amount of white onion, black
pepper, and the bread had to have mustard on it. Carried that or an
olive loaf sandwich in his lunch bucket for 40 years. He also ate
deviled ham and vienna sausage on a regular basis. the only thing he ate
that I liked, and still like, was sardines on a cracker with a little
mustard. Dad ate fried salt pork most mornings for breakfast, I could
never stomach the stuff myself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 19:36:37 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>BoboBonobo wrote:
>> Goomba wrote:

>>> It took their mind off the abstinence, I imagine?
>>>

>> That, and the incessant masturbation.
>>
>> --Bryan

>You've obviously never been aboard an old destroyer. Fifty men sleeping
>in bunks stacked four high, no privacy and if you're caught wanking you
>get Captain's Mast. Lots easier just to wait for shore leave.

'captain's mast' sounds dicey in itself.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:22:07 -0500, BoboBonobo >
wrote:

>> In article >,
>> "Chris Marksberry" > wrote:
>>
>>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>>
>>> Creamed Chipped Beef
>>>
>>> Recipe By :Chris Marksberry
>>> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :30:00
>>> Categories : Beef Easy
>>> Meat
>>>
>>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>>> 4 1/2 ounces chipped beef -- (2 jars)
>>> 2 cups 2% milk
>>> 2 tablespoons flour
>>> 2 tablespoons butter or margarine

>Use margarine, and you can call it Shittier Than Shit On a Shingle.
>You proudly put your name on the recipe. That's funny.
>There's not much that says, "White Trash," more than a recipe with
>reduced butterfat milk and margarine.

tell us, bobo: have you assigned 'white trash' a keyboard shortcut
yet? it would save you a lot of work.

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 22:24:16 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>l, not -l wrote:
>
>> Take a look here to see what the Armour jars look like:
>> http://www.armour-star.com/products_dried_beef.html
>>
>> and here for the Hormel jars (available in 2 sizes):
>> http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/ho...DriedBeef.aspx

>Thanks. I'll keep the mental image in my mind.
>
>Uh...I guess that's the only place I *can* keep a mental image.

i suppose you could print a picture to keep in your wallet, but people
would think you a pervert.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 23:04:13 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Goomba > wrote:
>
>> LOL, the small glass jars make good juice glasses. My family always had
>> a mess of them, along with the little hour glass shaped jars that small
>> frozen shrimp cocktails came in back in the 60's.

>You didn't open them without a beer can opener's rounded end. Get an
>opener with a soda. Get an opener with a beer. Get a dozen if you asked
>from any food merchant in town for free. I just looked. I don't have one
>now. Where'd they all go? If a current kid found one, would they think
>it was an artifact?
>
>leo

*ahem*. that would be a church key.

your choirboy pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:
> On 24-Jun-2008, Nancy2 > wrote:
>
>> According to the NASCAR folks, fried bologna (baloney) is a Virginia
>> thing. Is that right?

> As a child growing up in western Kentucky in the late-40s and
> throughout the 50s, we often ate fried b'loney. Sometimes as a
> sandwich (on white bread slathered with mayo),

I don't know if it's something my father picked up in the Army,
but we had fried baloney sandwiches on occasion. I'm
sure we didn't have mustard on it, it was probably mayo.
I don't think we had mustard in the house, we had ketchup on
hotdogs.

He also amazed me once by making me a peanut butter and
butter sandwich. I guess I thought that was against the rules
or something.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:58:48 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>He also amazed me once by making me a peanut butter and
>butter sandwich. I guess I thought that was against the rules
>or something.

I'll butter an english muffin and then put a small amount of peanut
butter on it. It doesn't get dry that way and I'm not a big jelly or
jam eater. I will have a PBJ if there's raspberry jam around, but
that's about it.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>Use margarine, and you can call it Shittier Than Shit On a Shingle.
>>You proudly put your name on the recipe. That's funny.
>>There's not much that says, "White Trash," more than a recipe with
>>reduced butterfat milk and margarine.
>>

> tell us, bobo: have you assigned 'white trash' a keyboard shortcut
> yet? it would save you a lot of work.
>
> blake

You know Blake, I think that "bobo's" (AKA Bryan)post is just the type of
insult that would discourage new users of r.f.c. from ever wanting to join
r.f.c. and therefore losing a lot of good potential posters. Bryan, of
course, is not the lone poster of rudeness, insults, etc. I'm used to it
and fully understand the concept of needing a thick skin when posting, but
some people can't or won't realize that there's a real person behind who
wrote the post. The only thing you can do is "get out of the kitchen if you
can't stand the heat". Unfortunate though. Just my 2 cents.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 10:59:11 -0500, Lou Decruss >
wrote:

>We had fried bologna all the time growing up. (Chicago) I like to
>slice it thick, nip the edges so it doesn't cup, fry it up and make a
>BLT.

My mom would let the bologna cup, then fill it with scrambled eggs for
my breakfast. I thought this was very elegant.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:58:48 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>

>> He also amazed me once by making me a peanut butter and
>> butter sandwich. I guess I thought that was against the rules
>> or something.

> I'll butter an english muffin and then put a small amount of peanut
> butter on it. It doesn't get dry that way and I'm not a big jelly or
> jam eater. I will have a PBJ if there's raspberry jam around, but
> that's about it.

I'm cool with that, I'm no Paula Deen but I love butter! and the
peanut butter with butter was pretty tasty as I recall.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 13:21:22 -0400, Tara >
wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 10:59:11 -0500, Lou Decruss >
>wrote:
>
>>We had fried bologna all the time growing up. (Chicago) I like to
>>slice it thick, nip the edges so it doesn't cup, fry it up and make a
>>BLT.

>My mom would let the bologna cup, then fill it with scrambled eggs for
>my breakfast. I thought this was very elegant.

You can also use pieces of deli ham in muffin tins. I don't have the
recipe handy but IIRC you put a dab of creme fraiche in the cupped ham
and gently break an egg in there. Season to taste and bake. It's
been a long time since I've done it but it is a nice presentation. I
think I served it with english muffins. You can bake them with nice
runny yolks or more for those who like their eggs done a bit more.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> According to the NASCAR folks, fried bologna (baloney) is a Virginia
> thing. Is that right?
>
> N.

I had friends in Michigan who loved "fried ring balogna" whatever that
is/was??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
>>> Glass jars, never plasic, and never metal cans or packets.

>> LOL, the small glass jars make good juice glasses. My family always had
>> a mess of them, along with the little hour glass shaped jars that small
>> frozen shrimp cocktails came in back in the 60's.

> That's pretty funny- we used the shrimp cocktail jars for juice
> glasses!!!

LOL and yet I can't imagine buying frozen shrimp cocktails now.. do they
even still sell them? They were tres sixties!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 22:24:16 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> > wrote:
>
>>l, not -l wrote:
>>
>>> Take a look here to see what the Armour jars look like:
>>> http://www.armour-star.com/products_dried_beef.html
>>>
>>> and here for the Hormel jars (available in 2 sizes):
>>> http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/ho...DriedBeef.aspx

>>Thanks. I'll keep the mental image in my mind.
>>
>>Uh...I guess that's the only place I *can* keep a mental image.

> i suppose you could print a picture to keep in your wallet, but people
> would think you a pervert.

That wouldn't be a mental image.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> I'm cool with that, I'm no Paula Deen but I love butter! and the peanut
> butter with butter was pretty tasty as I recall.
>
> nancy

My recently departed Mother-in-law always buttered her toast before
putting peanut butter on it. She made me toast that way once and I
thought it unnecessarily salty. I love my peanut butter, but don't feel
it needs any additional adornment....unless it is bacon, or banana or
chocolate..... LOL