Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Creamed chipped beef recipe?

Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of ounces
- two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe ingredients
didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC doesn't have a
recipe, or if it does I can't find it.

I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've been
disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.

Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these days? I
haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged lunch
meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.

TIA

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken" > wrote in message
> Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe?

Ken, I just made a medium white sauce and add the beef, simmer for ten
minutes and put on
toast. White toast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken" > wrote in message
> Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe?

Ken, I just made a medium white sauce and add the beef, simmer for ten
minutes and put on
toast. White toast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
> Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
> was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of ounces
> - two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe ingredients
> didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC doesn't have a
> recipe, or if it does I can't find it.
>
> I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've been
> disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.
>
> Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these days? I
> haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged lunch
> meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

The last I found was in little jars similar to the Kraft cheese in a jar
type. It was pretty expensive, don't remember the price but it was high
for the couple of ounces you get. A simple white gravy has always been
the way I've prepared it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
> Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
> was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of ounces
> - two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe ingredients
> didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC doesn't have a
> recipe, or if it does I can't find it.
>
> I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've been
> disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.
>
> Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these days? I
> haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged lunch
> meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

Here are some recipes:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,sos,FF.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
> Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
> was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of ounces
> - two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe ingredients
> didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC doesn't have a
> recipe, or if it does I can't find it.
>
> I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've been
> disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.
>
> Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these days? I
> haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged lunch
> meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

check out the alton brown recipes on the food network. i believe he
did a show on making sos.

harriet

> --
> "When you choose the lesser of two evils, always
> remember that it is still an evil." - Max Lerner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
> was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of ounces
> - two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe ingredients
> didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC doesn't have a
> recipe, or if it does I can't find it.
>
> I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've been
> disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.
>
> Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these days? I
> haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged lunch
> meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

This is basically what everyone else said, but I put together a recipe for
my own use:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Creamed Chipped Beef

Recipe By :Chris Marksberry
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :30:00
Categories : Beef Easy
Meat

4 1/2 ounces chipped beef -- (2 jars)
2 cups 2% milk
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
pepper

Make cream sauce with flour, butter, and milk. Slice chipped beef and add
to cream sauce. Serve over noodles, toast, or baked potato.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23 Jun 2008 16:57:50 GMT, Ken > wrote:

>Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
>was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of ounces
>- two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe ingredients
>didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC doesn't have a
>recipe, or if it does I can't find it.
>
>I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've been
>disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.

Just make a basic white sauce and add the chipped beef.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Chris Marksberry" > wrote:

> > Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
> > was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of ounces
> > - two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe ingredients
> > didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC doesn't have a
> > recipe, or if it does I can't find it.
> >
> > I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've been
> > disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.
> >
> > Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these days? I
> > haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged lunch
> > meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Ken

> This is basically what everyone else said, but I put together a recipe for
> my own use:
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Creamed Chipped Beef
>
> Recipe By :Chris Marksberry
> Categories : Beef Easy
> Meat

> 4 1/2 ounces chipped beef -- (2 jars)
> 2 cups 2% milk
> 2 tablespoons flour
> 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
> pepper
>
> Make cream sauce with flour, butter, and milk. Slice chipped beef and add
> to cream sauce. Serve over noodles, toast, or baked potato.

I've never eaten it and I've heard it's very salty. Do you rinse the
beef, Chris?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Huffy and Bubbles Do France: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 11:57*am, Ken > wrote:
> Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
> was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of ounces
> - two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe ingredients
> didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC doesn't have a
> recipe, or if it does I can't find it.
>
> I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've been
> disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.
>
> Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these days? I
> haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged lunch
> meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.
>
> TIA
>
> Ken
>
> --
> "When you choose the lesser of two evils, always
> remember that it is still an evil." - Max Lerner

Just make a basic white sauce and add the diced chipped beef. Pepper
and/or other spices to taste. I love it, but it's an indulgence for
me.

There are packages of "dried beef" hanging on the pegs in the lunch
meat aisle. For the authentic, old-timey stuff, still in glass jars
in the canned meat aisle.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I've never eaten it and I've heard it's very salty. *Do you rinse the
> beef, Chris?
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> Huffy and Bubbles Do France:http://www.jamlady.eboard.com- Hide quoted text -

We had it quite frequently when I was a child. I thought it was a
midwestern staple, I did.

It is very salty - but that's part of the goodness. No, don't rinse
it. If you use the refrigerated packaged stuff, it isn't as salty as
the authentic, old-fashion kind found in the canned meat aisle in
glass jars. You takes yer choice. I like the old-style stuff, myself
- and to make it even better, make the white sauce, add pepper, throw
in the diced up dried beef, and add some quartered hard-boiled eggs.
Pour it over white bread toast. Yumm.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message

> I've never eaten it and I've heard it's very salty. Do you rinse the
> beef, Chris?
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> Huffy and Bubbles Do France:http://www.jamlady.eboard.com- Hide quoted text -

We had it quite frequently when I was a child. I thought it was a
midwestern staple, I did.

It is very salty - but that's part of the goodness. No, don't rinse
it. If you use the refrigerated packaged stuff, it isn't as salty as
the authentic, old-fashion kind found in the canned meat aisle in
glass jars. You takes yer choice. I like the old-style stuff, myself
- and to make it even better, make the white sauce, add pepper, throw
in the diced up dried beef, and add some quartered hard-boiled eggs.
Pour it over white bread toast. Yumm.
YES! That is what was missing, the quartered hard-boiled eggs.
Thank you Thank you. The recipe is now complete.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Chris Marksberry" > wrote:
>
>> > Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
>> > was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of
>> > ounces
>> > - two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe
>> > ingredients
>> > didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC doesn't have a
>> > recipe, or if it does I can't find it.
>> >
>> > I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've
>> > been
>> > disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.
>> >
>> > Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these days?
>> > haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged
>> > lunch
>> > meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.
>> >
>> > TIA
>> >
>> > Ken

>> This is basically what everyone else said, but I put together a recipe
>> for
>> my own use:
>>

>> > I've never eaten it and I've heard it's very

>> salty. Do you rinse the

> beef, Chris?
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

Barb,

It was actually depends on my mood and if I have craving for salt.
Sometimes I do rinse it (it's kinda messy rinsing it and drying it)other
times not and of course if you happen to have a sodium restriction in your
diet it would be a no-no! We like super salty things around here
occasionally and without being rinsing it is very salty. Rinsed... well...
not salty enough. The only seasoning I add to it is lots of fresh ground
pepper.

Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 9:57*am, Ken > wrote:
> Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
> was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of ounces
> - two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe ingredients
> didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC doesn't have a
> recipe, or if it does I can't find it.
>
> I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've been
> disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.
>
> Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these days? I
> haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged lunch
> meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.

I haven't seen dried beef in the markets, either.

SOS has been talked about a lot on rfc in the past 12 years that I
have been here. You may want to look back on the points and tips and
oh lordy arguments on this recipe.

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

mequeenbe.nospam wrote:

> Ken wrote:
>> Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
>> was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of ounces
>> - two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe ingredients
>> didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC doesn't have a
>> recipe, or if it does I can't find it.
>>
>> I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've been
>> disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.
>>
>> Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these days? I
>> haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged lunch
>> meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Ken
>>

> check out the alton brown recipes on the food network. i believe he
> did a show on making sos.

There's a REASON why people refer to it as, "Shit On a Shingle."

Maybe the OP should consider whether he wants to be a shit eater.

> harriet

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Chris Marksberry" > wrote:
>
>>> Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
>>> was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of ounces
>>> - two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe ingredients
>>> didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC doesn't have a
>>> recipe, or if it does I can't find it.
>>>
>>> I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've been
>>> disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.
>>>
>>> Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these days? I
>>> haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged lunch
>>> meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Ken

>> This is basically what everyone else said, but I put together a recipe for
>> my own use:
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Creamed Chipped Beef
>>
>> Recipe By :Chris Marksberry
>> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :30:00
>> Categories : Beef Easy
>> Meat
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 4 1/2 ounces chipped beef -- (2 jars)
>> 2 cups 2% milk
>> 2 tablespoons flour
>> 2 tablespoons butter or margarine

Use margarine, and you can call it Shittier Than Shit On a Shingle.
You proudly put your name on the recipe. That's funny.
There's not much that says, "White Trash," more than a recipe with
reduced butterfat milk and margarine.

>> pepper
>>
>> Make cream sauce with flour, butter, and milk. Slice chipped beef and add
>> to cream sauce. Serve over noodles, toast, or baked potato.
>>

> I've never eaten it and I've heard it's very salty. Do you rinse the
> beef, Chris?

It's hideous. That anyone who wasn't in the Army would ever develop a
taste for it is amazing.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:12:44 -0700 (PDT), Karen >
wrote:

>On Jun 23, 9:57*am, Ken > wrote:
>> Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
>> was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of ounces
>> - two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe ingredients
>> didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC doesn't have a
>> recipe, or if it does I can't find it.
>>
>> I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've been
>> disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.
>>
>> Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these days? I
>> haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged lunch
>> meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.

>I haven't seen dried beef in the markets, either.

I see Buddig all the time. Lots of stores around here have generic
stuff that's even cheaper. I prefer it to the jars. One place had
the generic packs 20 for 10 bucks a few months ago. One of our kids
can easily eat two packs in one meal.

http://www.buddig.com/original_cb.html

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Jun 23, 11:57 am, Ken > wrote:
>> Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
>> was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of ounces
>> - two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe ingredients
>> didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC doesn't have a
>> recipe, or if it does I can't find it.
>>
>> I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've been
>> disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.
>>
>> Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these days? I
>> haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged lunch
>> meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Ken
>>
>> --
>> "When you choose the lesser of two evils, always
>> remember that it is still an evil." - Max Lerner

> Just make a basic white sauce and add the diced chipped beef. Pepper
> and/or other spices to taste. I love it, but it's an indulgence for
> me.
>
> There are packages of "dried beef" hanging on the pegs in the lunch
> meat aisle. For the authentic, old-timey stuff, still in glass jars
> in the canned meat aisle.
>
> N.

I was in a Big Lots store not to long ago and found four jars of chipped
beef, the small ones, for 49 cents each. Got all four of them. We ate
the last a couple of weeks ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
>> I've never eaten it and I've heard it's very salty. Do you rinse the
>> beef, Chris?
>> --
>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>> Huffy and Bubbles Do France:http://www.jamlady.eboard.com- Hide quoted text -

> We had it quite frequently when I was a child. I thought it was a
> midwestern staple, I did.
>
> It is very salty - but that's part of the goodness. No, don't rinse
> it. If you use the refrigerated packaged stuff, it isn't as salty as
> the authentic, old-fashion kind found in the canned meat aisle in
> glass jars. You takes yer choice. I like the old-style stuff, myself
> - and to make it even better, make the white sauce, add pepper, throw
> in the diced up dried beef, and add some quartered hard-boiled eggs.
> Pour it over white bread toast. Yumm.
>
> N.

At least once a week we had SOS (use your imagination), aka chipped
dried beef on toast, for breakfast in the Navy. That was about up to 48
years ago, they probably don't serve it anymore. The other oddity was
fried bologna, baked beans, and hard boiled eggs for breakfast. Only ran
into that on one ship I was on. Luckily young men will eat about
anything so it went over pretty good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Chris Marksberry" > wrote:
>
>> > Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
>> > was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of
>> > ounces
>> > - two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe
>> > ingredients
>> > didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC doesn't have a
>> > recipe, or if it does I can't find it.
>> >
>> > I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've
>> > been
>> > disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.
>> >
>> > Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these days?
>> > haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged
>> > lunch
>> > meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.
>> >
>> > TIA
>> >
>> > Ken

>> This is basically what everyone else said, but I put together a recipe
>> for
>> my own use:
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Creamed Chipped Beef
>>
>> Recipe By :Chris Marksberry
>> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :30:00
>> Categories : Beef Easy
>> Meat
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 4 1/2 ounces chipped beef -- (2 jars)
>> 2 cups 2% milk
>> 2 tablespoons flour
>> 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
>> pepper
>>
>> Make cream sauce with flour, butter, and milk. Slice chipped beef and
>> add
>> to cream sauce. Serve over noodles, toast, or baked potato.
>>

> I've never eaten it and I've heard it's very salty. Do you rinse the
> beef, Chris?
> --

It's salty, that's why it's so good.
If you don't want as much salt you can chop it and soak it in a little milk.
Drain off the salty milk before putting in the white sauce.

> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> Huffy and Bubbles Do France: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:12:44 -0700 (PDT), Karen >
> wrote:
>
>>On Jun 23, 9:57*am, Ken > wrote:
>>> Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer the
>>> was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of
>>> ounces - two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe
>>> ingredients didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC
>>> doesn't have a recipe, or if it does I can't find it.
>>>
>>> I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've
>>> been disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.
>>>
>>> Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these
>>> days? I haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and
>>> packaged lunch meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.

>>I haven't seen dried beef in the markets, either.

> I see Buddig all the time. Lots of stores around here have generic

I was going to suggest that, but I didn't know if that was the same kind
of beef that was being sought here. I haven't had SOS since I was a yoot.
I liked it then; I'd probably like it today.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Marksberry wrote:

> This is basically what everyone else said, but I put together a recipe for
> my own use:

> 4 1/2 ounces chipped beef -- (2 jars)
> 2 cups 2% milk
> 2 tablespoons flour
> 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
> pepper

That's a mighty thin white sauce, isn't it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen wrote:

>> Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these days? I
>> haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged lunch
>> meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.

> I haven't seen dried beef in the markets, either.

In the commissary it is always next to the spam, potted meat and canned
salmon and stuff like that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

> At least once a week we had SOS (use your imagination), aka chipped
> dried beef on toast, for breakfast in the Navy. That was about up to 48
> years ago, they probably don't serve it anymore. The other oddity was
> fried bologna, baked beans, and hard boiled eggs for breakfast. Only ran
> into that on one ship I was on. Luckily young men will eat about
> anything so it went over pretty good.

It took their mind off the abstinence, I imagine?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> I was going to suggest that, but I didn't know if that was the same kind
> of beef that was being sought here. I haven't had SOS since I was a yoot.
> I liked it then; I'd probably like it today.

When I make creamed chipped beef I use Armour. I think the Carl Buddig
stuff is softer, perhaps not as "dried" and salty??

I like it as my mother made- served on large rye & pumpernickle baked
croutons she baked up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Karen wrote:
>
>>> Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these
>>> days? I
>>> haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged
>>> lunch
>>> meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.

>> I haven't seen dried beef in the markets, either.

> In the commissary it is always next to the spam, potted meat and canned
> salmon and stuff like that.

The icky section.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> At least once a week we had SOS (use your imagination), aka chipped
>> dried beef on toast, for breakfast in the Navy. That was about up to
>> 48 years ago, they probably don't serve it anymore. The other oddity
>> was fried bologna, baked beans, and hard boiled eggs for breakfast.
>> Only ran into that on one ship I was on. Luckily young men will eat
>> about anything so it went over pretty good.

> It took their mind off the abstinence, I imagine?

That, and the incessant masturbation.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> At least once a week we had SOS (use your imagination), aka chipped
>> dried beef on toast, for breakfast in the Navy. That was about up to
>> 48 years ago, they probably don't serve it anymore. The other oddity
>> was fried bologna, baked beans, and hard boiled eggs for breakfast.
>> Only ran into that on one ship I was on. Luckily young men will eat
>> about anything so it went over pretty good.

> It took their mind off the abstinence, I imagine?

Not much abstinence in that bunch. The two ships I served on were in and
outers. Leave port at 0700 back at 1600, running anti-submarine
exercises. Sometimes out for a week, once or twice for a month or more.
Peace time stuff training to fight the Evil Empire.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Chris Marksberry wrote:
>

>> This is basically what everyone else said, but I put together a recipe
>> for my own use:

>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 4 1/2 ounces chipped beef -- (2 jars)
>> 2 cups 2% milk
>> 2 tablespoons flour
>> 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
>> pepper

> That's a mighty thin white sauce, isn't it?

Yep, and it's meant to be. After I add the sliced beef to the sauce it
thickens to the texture of a thick white sauce after it has cooled a bit. I
usually make creamed chipped beef an hour or so ahead of time and then
reheat it when we get hungry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BoboBonobo wrote:
> Goomba wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:
>>
>>> At least once a week we had SOS (use your imagination), aka chipped
>>> dried beef on toast, for breakfast in the Navy. That was about up to
>>> 48 years ago, they probably don't serve it anymore. The other oddity
>>> was fried bologna, baked beans, and hard boiled eggs for breakfast.
>>> Only ran into that on one ship I was on. Luckily young men will eat
>>> about anything so it went over pretty good.

>> It took their mind off the abstinence, I imagine?
>>

> That, and the incessant masturbation.
>
> --Bryan

You've obviously never been aboard an old destroyer. Fifty men sleeping
in bunks stacked four high, no privacy and if you're caught wanking you
get Captain's Mast. Lots easier just to wait for shore leave.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 23 Jun 2008 12:27:36p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article >,
> "Chris Marksberry" > wrote:
>
>> > Anyone have a favorite creamed chipped beef (SOS) recipe? I prefer
>> > the was Stouffer makes it but that is quite expensive for a couple of
>> > ounces - two skimpy meals. I looked in my old 60s JOC but the recipe
>> > ingredients didn't look like those I am used to. My much newer JOC
>> > doesn't have a recipe, or if it does I can't find it.
>> >
>> > I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've
>> > been disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.
>> >
>> > Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these
>> > days? I haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and
>> > packaged lunch meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.
>> >
>> > TIA
>> >
>> > Ken

>> This is basically what everyone else said, but I put together a recipe
>> for my own use:
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Creamed Chipped Beef
>>
>> Recipe By :Chris Marksberry
>> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :30:00
>> Categories : Beef Easy
>> Meat
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 4 1/2 ounces chipped beef -- (2 jars)
>> 2 cups 2% milk
>> 2 tablespoons flour
>> 2 tablespoons butter or margarine pepper
>>
>> Make cream sauce with flour, butter, and milk. Slice chipped beef and
>> add to cream sauce. Serve over noodles, toast, or baked potato.
>>

> I've never eaten it and I've heard it's very salty. Do you rinse the
> beef, Chris?

Some folks do, others don't. My mom always put the dried beef in a bowl,
pour boiling water over it, let it stand a couple of minutes, then drained
and dried it. Her finished dish always tasted good. Her recipe was
basically the same as what Barb posted, except that she used whole milk,
and also added a dash of cayenne to the sauce. That's also the way I make
it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 06(VI)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 23 Jun 2008 02:44:59p, Blinky the Shark told us...

> Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:12:44 -0700 (PDT), Karen >
>> wrote:

>>>I haven't seen dried beef in the markets, either.

>> I see Buddig all the time. Lots of stores around here have generic

> I was going to suggest that, but I didn't know if that was the same kind
> of beef that was being sought here. I haven't had SOS since I was a

yoot.
> I liked it then; I'd probably like it today.

I don't like any of it that isn't packed in the jars. Just doesn't seem
like the same thing.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 06(VI)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
355/113 - Not the famous number Pi,
but a great simulation!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba > wrote:

>George Shirley wrote:

>> At least once a week we had SOS (use your imagination), aka chipped
>> dried beef on toast, for breakfast in the Navy. That was about up to 48
>> years ago, they probably don't serve it anymore. The other oddity was
>> fried bologna, baked beans, and hard boiled eggs for breakfast. Only ran
>> into that on one ship I was on. Luckily young men will eat about
>> anything so it went over pretty good.

>It took their mind off the abstinence, I imagine?

I guess this wasn't the Royal Navy then...

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:41:40 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>> I've never eaten it and I've heard it's very salty. *Do you rinse the
>> beef, Chris?
>> --
>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>> Huffy and Bubbles Do France:http://www.jamlady.eboard.com- Hide quoted text -

>We had it quite frequently when I was a child. I thought it was a
>midwestern staple, I did.
>
>It is very salty - but that's part of the goodness. No, don't rinse
>it. If you use the refrigerated packaged stuff, it isn't as salty as
>the authentic, old-fashion kind found in the canned meat aisle in
>glass jars. You takes yer choice. I like the old-style stuff, myself
>- and to make it even better, make the white sauce, add pepper, throw
>in the diced up dried beef, and add some quartered hard-boiled eggs.
>Pour it over white bread toast. Yumm.
>
>N.

It showed up fairly reqularly on our dinner table in middle TN. I
like to add chopped hard-boiled eggs and also a handful or two of
frozen green peas.

- Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 20:33:17 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

>On 23-Jun-2008, Ken > wrote:
>
>> I'd prefer to get a recipe here from someone who has tried it. I've been
>> disappointed with several web site recipes I've tried.
>>
>> Also, where do they keep the dried beef in the supermarkets these days? I
>> haven't seen it for years. Used to be near the sausage and packaged lunch
>> meats. Maybe I just didn't notice carefully enough.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Ken

>I use the one from the Armour website, one of the makers of Dried Beef that
>is used to make Creamed Chipped Beef, with two modifications I'll describe
>at the end.
>

>* Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Creamed Chipped Beef
>
>Recipe By :
>Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>Categories :

>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
> 2 Tbsp. butter
> 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
> 1 1/2 cups milk
> 1 jar ARMOUR® STAR SLICED DRIED BEEF -- (2.25 oz.) rinsed,
> chopped
> 1/2 tsp. prepared yellow mustard
> 8 slices white bread -- toasted
>
>Melt butter in saucepan. Add flour and cook 1 minute. Add milk all at once.
>Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add beef and mustard and heat
>through.
>
>S(Internet Address):
> "http://www.armour-star.com/recipes.asp?recipe_id=221"
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1019 Calories; 43g Fat (37.7%
>calories from fat); 30g Protein; 128g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 114mg
>Cholesterol; 1490mg Sodium. Exchanges: 7 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Non-Fat Milk;
>8 1/2 Fat.
>
>Serving Ideas : Serve over toast
>
>NOTES : Makes 1 1/2 cups
>
>Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0
>
>MODIFICATIONS to recipe:
>I leave out the mustard and I not only rinse the beef, I give it a good
>30-45 minute cold-water soak (changing water halfway through) to pull out
>some of the salt.

I prefer dry mustard. I'll also toss in a tiny pinch of cayenne.

- Mark

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Mon 23 Jun 2008 02:44:59p, Blinky the Shark told us...
>
>> Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> I see Buddig all the time. Lots of stores around here have generic

>> I was going to suggest that, but I didn't know if that was the same kind
>> of beef that was being sought here. I haven't had SOS since I was a

> yoot.
>> I liked it then; I'd probably like it today.

> I don't like any of it that isn't packed in the jars. Just doesn't seem
> like the same thing.

I'm not sure I've ever *seen* it in jars, much less bought it. I'll look
for some, just to see the difference. When I say "jars" I mean glass or
plastic containers as versus metal cans -- same with you?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
NEW --> Now evaluating a GG-free news feed: http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 23 Jun 2008 08:21:27p, Blinky the Shark told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

the

>>> I was going to suggest that, but I didn't know if that was the same

kind
>>> of beef that was being sought here. I haven't had SOS since I was a
>>> yoot. I liked it then; I'd probably like it today.

>> I don't like any of it that isn't packed in the jars. Just doesn't seem
>> like the same thing.

> I'm not sure I've ever *seen* it in jars, much less bought it. I'll look
> for some, just to see the difference. When I say "jars" I mean glass or
> plastic containers as versus metal cans -- same with you?

Glass jars, never plasic, and never metal cans or packets.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 06(VI)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
Useless Invention: Screen door on a
submarine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Mon 23 Jun 2008 08:21:27p, Blinky the Shark told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon 23 Jun 2008 02:44:59p, Blinky the Shark told us...

> the

> kind
>>>
>>> I don't like any of it that isn't packed in the jars. Just doesn't seem
>>> like the same thing.

>> I'm not sure I've ever *seen* it in jars, much less bought it. I'll look
>> for some, just to see the difference. When I say "jars" I mean glass or
>> plastic containers as versus metal cans -- same with you?
>>

> Glass jars, never plasic, and never metal cans or packets.

Tnx.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
NEW --> Now evaluating a GG-free news feed: http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Some folks do, others don't. My mom always put the dried beef in a bowl,
> pour boiling water over it, let it stand a couple of minutes, then drained
> and dried it.

I'm curious and may learn something. Why dry it again? It is going back
into a milk sauce and what little water adhered would make little
difference, would it? I seriously dry anything going into hot oil. I'm
not too serious about drying much else.
I waste plenty of time doing prep stuff as it is.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 23 Jun 2008 08:54:04p, Leonard Blaisdell told us...

> In article 0>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>

>> Some folks do, others don't. My mom always put the dried beef in a

bowl,
>> pour boiling water over it, let it stand a couple of minutes, then

drained
>> and dried it.

> I'm curious and may learn something. Why dry it again? It is going back
> into a milk sauce and what little water adhered would make little
> difference, would it? I seriously dry anything going into hot oil. I'm
> not too serious about drying much else.
> I waste plenty of time doing prep stuff as it is.
>
> leo

Better that it isn't dripping wet when added to the sauce so as not to
dilute it. It's just pressed between paper towels.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 06(VI)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
We're gonna go to the mall and window