Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Oldspook

Default SOS - Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast

This is one of my favorite breakfasts. I learned to like SOS during my 30
years in the Navy, I would go to the base on weekends when I knew they
were
serving SOS. The SOS I refer to is the kind made with chipped (dried) beef
and white sauce. I have refined my recipe over the years, now I fix when
my
granddaughter asks for it. When shopping she frequently asks me if we have
dried beef at home which reminds me to prepare it for us.

Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast

1 jar dried beef, cut into strips
1/2 pound mushrooms (white or brown), sliced in egg slicer
1 small onion, diced
3 cups milk (whole or low fat)
1/2 cup Wondra flour (or regular flour)
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp butter (or margarine)
14-1 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
1/4 teaspoon MSG

Slice mushrooms with egg slicer and set aside. Slice dried beef and cover
with COLD water in a small bowl. Stir slightly then drain off all the
water
(this will remove a lot of the salt from the dried beef).
Heat 1 Tbsp butter in 2 quart sauce pan, add mushrooms and sauté until
slightly caramelized. Remove mushrooms and set aside. Add 1/4 cup butter
and
chopped onions, sauté until slightly caramelized. Remove from heat and
cool
slightly, then add flour and mix well. Add a small amount of milk and mix
thoroughly, then add remainder of milk, MSG and black pepper. Mix well
(if
it is lumpy use a wire whisk) and return to heat. Heat until thickened,
stirring a lot. Add the dried beef and heat to the simmer. Simmer
uncovered,
stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and simmer for
additional 5 minutes. Check for the desired consistency, I like mine thick
enough not to run off the toast. Add more milk if too thick; remember to
add
more flour the next time you make it, if too thin.

Serve over hot buttered toast, or buttered sliced hot biscuits (my
favorite). Add over easy eggs and or hash-browned potatoes to the plate if
desired. This is even better left over and reheated the next day.

Oldspook

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D. Hill at .
Archives: