Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Creamed chipped beef recipe?

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
>
>> Chipped dried beef and SOS are two different dishes. The military is
>> famous for SOS which is ground beef, browned and then added to the
>> white gravy. Chipped (diced) dried beef is completely different
>> because it uses thinly-sliced dried beef, not ground beef. Duh.

> My dad was in the military, and says that they're both SOS. SOS,
> according to him, is any gloppy garbage thrown on bread or toast. Most of
> the time, he said, it was chipped beef, but sometimes it was
> as you describe.
>
> Serene

The Marines never served my Dad (who was in for 30 years) ground beef in
white gravy and called it SOS. It was always chipped beef in sauce on
toast. And I love it! Ground beef in white gravy doesn't sound at all
appealing. If you're gonna go that route, might as well make sausage gravy

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

>> 48 years ago, they probably don't serve it anymore. The other oddity
>> was fried bologna, baked beans, and hard boiled eggs for breakfast.
>> Only ran into that on one ship I was on. Luckily young men will eat
>> about anything so it went over pretty good.- Hide quoted text -
>>

> According to the NASCAR folks, fried bologna (baloney) is a Virginia
> thing. Is that right?
>
> N.

I don't know diddly about NASCAR folks but fried bologna is common
throughout the south. I've seen it on diner menus as one of the meats
available with eggs and grits or hashbrowns for breakfast in a number of
southern states. That's not to say the idea didn't originate in Virginia...

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 24 Jun 2008 09:47:06a, George Shirley told us...
>
>> l, not -l wrote:

>>> As a child growing up in western Kentucky in the late-40s and
>>> throughout the 50s, we often ate fried b'loney. Sometimes as a
>>> sandwich (on white bread slathered with mayo), more often as a meal's
>>> meat dish when times were lean (my dad was an autoworker and was laid
>>> off often until he accrued quite a few years of service). Fried
>>> baloney with eggs and toast for breakfast, fried baloney and mush for
>>> lunch, pintos and buttered white bread for dinner. Heck, sometimes we
>>> even had creamed strips of fried baloney on toast.
>>>

>> My Dad loved his baloney, had to be the type still in the sausage shape
>> with the red cover. He would slice it thick. Favorite sandwich was a
>> quarter inch slice of baloney, equal amount of white onion, black
>> pepper, and the bread had to have mustard on it. Carried that or an
>> olive loaf sandwich in his lunch bucket for 40 years. He also ate
>> deviled ham and vienna sausage on a regular basis. the only thing he ate
>> that I liked, and still like, was sardines on a cracker with a little
>> mustard. Dad ate fried salt pork most mornings for breakfast, I could
>> never stomach the stuff myself.
>>

> As a child growing up in the very late 40s thru the mid 50s, whenever we
> would take road trips there were few places to stop for a meal on the old
> narrow highways. My mother would always pack a box or basket with devilled
> ham, vienna sausages, cheeses (often those little jars of Kraft), crackers,
> cut up raw vegetables, and pieces of fruit. We always had a gallon thermos
> jug of iced tea. We'd make short stops along the road for a bite, or even
> eat while driving.
>
> If we were gone for a week or two to visit relatives, the night we arrived
> home there was little in the house to fix a meal. Mom would bake biscuits
> and scramble eggs, sometimes slicing vienna sausages to be cooked in with
> the eggs. If we had brought a country ham back with us, we'd often have
> fried ham.

Ahh, memories of country ham. In the forties and fifties we used to make
the then laborious trip to Central Louisiana to visit my Dad's uncles
and aunts, my paternal Grandmother's siblings. They were all still
farming on homesteads, pulled their water from a dug well or the spring,
had a privy out back and racked their stomps (yards). Not a blade of
grass was allowed in the house yard as it could hide snakes, pig or
chicken poop and the old aunties didn't want anything tracked into the
dogtrot houses they lived in.

Out back would be a good sized smokehouse that was in use all year.
Generally we would get some home made sausage and at least one ham. One
year we got three smoked rabbits, a smoked raccoon, two hams, and about
ten lbs of sausage. We all thought we had died and gone to heaven. By
the late fifties the eldest of them were all gone, my grandmother in
1983, a year after my Dad went, then her two youngest brothers died up
in their nineties just about ten years ago. The young ones that are left
all live in town and have real jobs but no real food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

CC wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> l, not -l wrote:

>>> As a child growing up in western Kentucky in the late-40s and
>>> throughout the
>>> 50s, we often ate fried b'loney. Sometimes as a sandwich (on white
>>> bread
>>> slathered with mayo), more often as a meal's meat dish when times
>>> were lean
>>> (my dad was an autoworker and was laid off often until he accrued
>>> quite a
>>> few years of service). Fried baloney with eggs and toast for breakfast,
>>> fried baloney and mush for lunch, pintos and buttered white bread for
>>> dinner. Heck, sometimes we even had creamed strips of fried baloney on
>>> toast.
>>>

>> My Dad loved his baloney, had to be the type still in the sausage
>> shape with the red cover. He would slice it thick. Favorite sandwich
>> was a quarter inch slice of baloney, equal amount of white onion,
>> black pepper, and the bread had to have mustard on it. Carried that or
>> an olive loaf sandwich in his lunch bucket for 40 years. He also ate
>> deviled ham and vienna sausage on a regular basis. the only thing he
>> ate that I liked, and still like, was sardines on a cracker with a
>> little mustard. Dad ate fried salt pork most mornings for breakfast, I
>> could never stomach the stuff myself.

> George, sounds like your father may have been a coal miner, My
> grandfather and
> father was for several years till he left that for something else.They
> were the only
> ones I remember calling their lunch box a lunch bucket. It looked like
> an aluminum
> bucket with wire handle, about 8" round, came in three pieces. bottom
> held water
> for drinking and ice, if they had it, to keep the top part cool where
> their sandwiches
> were kept, always wrapped in wax paper and a top over it all that fit
> down snug to
> keep the inside clean and free of coal dust.
> CC

My Dad went to work in an oil refinery at age fifteen. Prior to that he
worked as a teamster on a 20-mule team that drew a stone sledge in
Central Louisiana, that was from age twelve to fourteen. At fourteen
they moved to Beaumont, Texas and Dad became the chief lumber grader for
the Neches Lumber Company. He was to small to flip the timbers so had
some big laborers to do it for him. He worked in the refinery from 1926
until 1 January 1967. He retired at age 55 with over 40 years service
and there were some other men who retired with him who were two or three
years younger than he was.

I followed him into the oil patch in 1961 and always called the steel
container I carried my lunch in a bucket also. Just habit I guess as Dad
said his first lunch bucket was a 3-lb lard bucket that had been well
scrubbed. I still have his plastic lunch bucket with his name painted on
the lid, wouldn't take anything for it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 25 Jun 2008 05:13:52a, George Shirley told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> My Dad loved his baloney, had to be the type still in the sausage
>>> shape with the red cover. He would slice it thick. Favorite sandwich
>>> was a quarter inch slice of baloney, equal amount of white onion,
>>> black pepper, and the bread had to have mustard on it. Carried that or
>>> an olive loaf sandwich in his lunch bucket for 40 years. He also ate
>>> deviled ham and vienna sausage on a regular basis. the only thing he
>>> ate that I liked, and still like, was sardines on a cracker with a
>>> little mustard. Dad ate fried salt pork most mornings for breakfast, I
>>> could never stomach the stuff myself.
>>>

>> As a child growing up in the very late 40s thru the mid 50s, whenever
>> we would take road trips there were few places to stop for a meal on
>> the old narrow highways. My mother would always pack a box or basket
>> with devilled ham, vienna sausages, cheeses (often those little jars of
>> Kraft), crackers, cut up raw vegetables, and pieces of fruit. We
>> always had a gallon thermos jug of iced tea. We'd make short stops
>> along the road for a bite, or even eat while driving.
>>
>> If we were gone for a week or two to visit relatives, the night we
>> arrived home there was little in the house to fix a meal. Mom would
>> bake biscuits and scramble eggs, sometimes slicing vienna sausages to
>> be cooked in with the eggs. If we had brought a country ham back with
>> us, we'd often have fried ham.
>>

> Ahh, memories of country ham. In the forties and fifties we used to make
> the then laborious trip to Central Louisiana to visit my Dad's uncles
> and aunts, my paternal Grandmother's siblings. They were all still
> farming on homesteads, pulled their water from a dug well or the spring,
> had a privy out back and racked their stomps (yards). Not a blade of
> grass was allowed in the house yard as it could hide snakes, pig or
> chicken poop and the old aunties didn't want anything tracked into the
> dogtrot houses they lived in.
>
> Out back would be a good sized smokehouse that was in use all year.
> Generally we would get some home made sausage and at least one ham. One
> year we got three smoked rabbits, a smoked raccoon, two hams, and about
> ten lbs of sausage. We all thought we had died and gone to heaven. By
> the late fifties the eldest of them were all gone, my grandmother in
> 1983, a year after my Dad went, then her two youngest brothers died up
> in their nineties just about ten years ago. The young ones that are left
> all live in town and have real jobs but no real food.

You are describing my paternal grandparents' and great uncles' farms in
Mississippi to a "T", except that there was only smoked hams, bacon, and
sausage in the smokehouse. Except for my grandfather who died at 78, all
the rest lived into their nineties. My grandmother lived to 101.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 06(VI)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 25 Jun 2008 05:20:21a, George Shirley told us...

> CC wrote:

times

breakfast,

on

>>> My Dad loved his baloney, had to be the type still in the sausage
>>> shape with the red cover. He would slice it thick. Favorite sandwich
>>> was a quarter inch slice of baloney, equal amount of white onion,

black
>>> pepper, and the bread had to have mustard on it. Carried that or an

olive
>>> loaf sandwich in his lunch bucket for 40 years. He also ate deviled ham
>>> and vienna sausage on a regular basis. the only thing he ate that I
>>> liked, and still like, was sardines on a cracker with a little mustard.
>>> Dad ate fried salt pork most mornings for breakfast, I could never
>>> stomach the stuff myself.

>> George, sounds like your father may have been a coal miner, My
>> grandfather and
>> father was for several years till he left that for something else.They
>> were the only
>> ones I remember calling their lunch box a lunch bucket. It looked like
>> an aluminum
>> bucket with wire handle, about 8" round, came in three pieces. bottom
>> held water
>> for drinking and ice, if they had it, to keep the top part cool where
>> their sandwiches
>> were kept, always wrapped in wax paper and a top over it all that fit
>> down snug to
>> keep the inside clean and free of coal dust.
>> CC

> My Dad went to work in an oil refinery at age fifteen. Prior to that he
> worked as a teamster on a 20-mule team that drew a stone sledge in
> Central Louisiana, that was from age twelve to fourteen. At fourteen
> they moved to Beaumont, Texas and Dad became the chief lumber grader for
> the Neches Lumber Company. He was to small to flip the timbers so had
> some big laborers to do it for him. He worked in the refinery from 1926
> until 1 January 1967. He retired at age 55 with over 40 years service
> and there were some other men who retired with him who were two or three
> years younger than he was.
>
> I followed him into the oil patch in 1961 and always called the steel
> container I carried my lunch in a bucket also. Just habit I guess as Dad
> said his first lunch bucket was a 3-lb lard bucket that had been well
> scrubbed. I still have his plastic lunch bucket with his name painted on
> the lid, wouldn't take anything for it.

My parents and their siblings were all raised on farms in MS and went to
country schools. They all carried their lunches to school in "molasses
buckets". Those were probably about the same size as a 3-lb lard bucket.
Lunch was usually some kind of fried meat, biscuits, and fresh fruit. I
think they drank water from the well at school.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 06(VI)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Second star to the right & straight on
till morning...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 25 Jun 2008 05:13:52a, George Shirley told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Tue 24 Jun 2008 09:47:06a, George Shirley told us...

>>> As a child growing up in the very late 40s thru the mid 50s, whenever
>>> we would take road trips there were few places to stop for a meal on
>>> the old narrow highways. My mother would always pack a box or basket
>>> with devilled ham, vienna sausages, cheeses (often those little jars of
>>> Kraft), crackers, cut up raw vegetables, and pieces of fruit. We
>>> always had a gallon thermos jug of iced tea. We'd make short stops
>>> along the road for a bite, or even eat while driving.
>>>
>>> If we were gone for a week or two to visit relatives, the night we
>>> arrived home there was little in the house to fix a meal. Mom would
>>> bake biscuits and scramble eggs, sometimes slicing vienna sausages to
>>> be cooked in with the eggs. If we had brought a country ham back with
>>> us, we'd often have fried ham.
>>>

>> Ahh, memories of country ham. In the forties and fifties we used to make
>> the then laborious trip to Central Louisiana to visit my Dad's uncles
>> and aunts, my paternal Grandmother's siblings. They were all still
>> farming on homesteads, pulled their water from a dug well or the spring,
>> had a privy out back and racked their stomps (yards). Not a blade of
>> grass was allowed in the house yard as it could hide snakes, pig or
>> chicken poop and the old aunties didn't want anything tracked into the
>> dogtrot houses they lived in.
>>
>> Out back would be a good sized smokehouse that was in use all year.
>> Generally we would get some home made sausage and at least one ham. One
>> year we got three smoked rabbits, a smoked raccoon, two hams, and about
>> ten lbs of sausage. We all thought we had died and gone to heaven. By
>> the late fifties the eldest of them were all gone, my grandmother in
>> 1983, a year after my Dad went, then her two youngest brothers died up
>> in their nineties just about ten years ago. The young ones that are left
>> all live in town and have real jobs but no real food.
>>

> You are describing my paternal grandparents' and great uncles' farms in
> Mississippi to a "T", except that there was only smoked hams, bacon, and
> sausage in the smokehouse. Except for my grandfather who died at 78, all
> the rest lived into their nineties. My grandmother lived to 101.

Country folk are about all the same Wayne. Mostly good people who lived
their lives sharing with family and friends. Some of us still cling to
that way of life to the extent we can.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 25 Jun 2008 05:20:21a, George Shirley told us...
>
>> CC wrote:

> times

> breakfast,

> on

> black

> olive
>>> George, sounds like your father may have been a coal miner, My
>>> grandfather and
>>> father was for several years till he left that for something else.They
>>> were the only
>>> ones I remember calling their lunch box a lunch bucket. It looked like
>>> an aluminum
>>> bucket with wire handle, about 8" round, came in three pieces. bottom
>>> held water
>>> for drinking and ice, if they had it, to keep the top part cool where
>>> their sandwiches
>>> were kept, always wrapped in wax paper and a top over it all that fit
>>> down snug to
>>> keep the inside clean and free of coal dust.
>>> CC

>> My Dad went to work in an oil refinery at age fifteen. Prior to that he
>> worked as a teamster on a 20-mule team that drew a stone sledge in
>> Central Louisiana, that was from age twelve to fourteen. At fourteen
>> they moved to Beaumont, Texas and Dad became the chief lumber grader for
>> the Neches Lumber Company. He was to small to flip the timbers so had
>> some big laborers to do it for him. He worked in the refinery from 1926
>> until 1 January 1967. He retired at age 55 with over 40 years service
>> and there were some other men who retired with him who were two or three
>> years younger than he was.
>>
>> I followed him into the oil patch in 1961 and always called the steel
>> container I carried my lunch in a bucket also. Just habit I guess as Dad
>> said his first lunch bucket was a 3-lb lard bucket that had been well
>> scrubbed. I still have his plastic lunch bucket with his name painted on
>> the lid, wouldn't take anything for it.

> My parents and their siblings were all raised on farms in MS and went to
> country schools. They all carried their lunches to school in "molasses
> buckets". Those were probably about the same size as a 3-lb lard bucket.
> Lunch was usually some kind of fried meat, biscuits, and fresh fruit. I
> think they drank water from the well at school.

Dad used to tell the story about seeing all the kids at the school in
town eating white bread and bologna for lunch. All he and his sibs had
was a lard bucket with some smoked ham on cold biscuits. One day they
traded with a town kid but never made that mistake again. He said the
school he went to had a spring house where they got their water and kept
their buckets cool. He rode to school on the "school bus", a mule drawn
wagon with a bench down each side of the wagon the length of the wagon.
Also used to tease me by telling me how tough it was walking to school
barefoot, in the snow, ten miles each way, all of it uphill. Took me a
few years to figure out he was pulling my leg.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 20:50:17 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>> Take a look here to see what the Armour jars look like:
>> http://www.armour-star.com/products_dried_beef.html
>>
>> and here for the Hormel jars (available in 2 sizes):
>> http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/ho...DriedBeef.aspx

>Found that Hormel product today at my pedestrian chain supermarket. Shit
>was a buck an ounce. Yow. I was surprised that it was ground up and
>fabricated into slices. I figured you guys were going for a
>real-not-paste meat.

I think the Buddig packages are processed too. Kinda like Arby's
meat. <eg>

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 03:37:32 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Nancy2 wrote:
>>> 48 years ago, they probably don't serve it anymore. The other oddity
>>> was fried bologna, baked beans, and hard boiled eggs for breakfast.
>>> Only ran into that on one ship I was on. Luckily young men will eat
>>> about anything so it went over pretty good.- Hide quoted text -
>>>

>> According to the NASCAR folks, fried bologna (baloney) is a Virginia
>> thing. Is that right?
>>
>> N.

>I don't know diddly about NASCAR folks but fried bologna is common
>throughout the south. I've seen it on diner menus as one of the meats
>available with eggs and grits or hashbrowns for breakfast in a number of
>southern states. That's not to say the idea didn't originate in Virginia...

That must be a southern thing. I know loads of people who make it at
home, but I've never seen it on a menu.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 18:14:16 -0400, Tara >
wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:32:04 -0500, Lou Decruss >
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 13:21:22 -0400, Tara >
>>wrote:

>>>My mom would let the bologna cup, then fill it with scrambled eggs for
>>>my breakfast. I thought this was very elegant.

>>You can also use pieces of deli ham in muffin tins. I don't have the
>>recipe handy but IIRC you put a dab of creme fraiche in the cupped ham
>>and gently break an egg in there. Season to taste and bake. It's
>>been a long time since I've done it but it is a nice presentation. I
>>think I served it with english muffins. You can bake them with nice
>>runny yolks or more for those who like their eggs done a bit more.

>Ham cups with eggs sound very nice and are a step up from bologna cups
>with eggs. I think we would enjoy something like that with biscuits
>or blueberry muffins.

Yes, that would be a nice breakfast. It's also good with a square of
northern style cornbread. The cornbread meeds a big glob of butter
and maple syrup.

>Mom's little bloney cups looked so fancy to me when I was little.

Lots of basic things have us in awe as kids. Too bad life can't stay
so simple.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 17:23:34 -0700, wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 10:59:11 -0500, Lou Decruss >
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 07:51:51 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:
>>

>>>According to the NASCAR folks, fried bologna (baloney) is a Virginia
>>>thing. Is that right?

>>We had fried bologna all the time growing up. (Chicago) I like to
>>slice it thick, nip the edges so it doesn't cup, fry it up and make a
>>BLT. I actually like it just as much as bacon this way. Louise grew
>>up in a South side Polish home and they'd fry a bunch of thinner
>>slices with onions and serve it over bread. She made it once that way
>>and I didn't like it because the bologna doesn't brown enough.
>>
>>Lou

>When I was a kid we had fried bologna. My folks were from St Lous MO.
>Mom would nip the edges so it wouldn't curl up and she'd serve it with
>fried onions.
>
>Darn, this thread is bringing up all kinds of childhood food memories.
>koko

I'm reminded of a simple meal my mom would make when she was rushed on
a Saturday night while getting ready to out on the town with my dad.
She warmed campbells tomato soup and put a piece of processed cheese
on wonderbread and broiled it until it just started to brown. It was
so fascinating to watch them brown. She's have to make about 20 to
feed all of us. She called them "open faced cheese." I guess it
sounded fancy and we thought we were getting a treat. Today I'd
consider that a 2AM drunks meal, but back them we all loved it.

Another thing we loved was my mom's clone of Howard Johnsons oven
fries. They were just very large potato slices oven baked. HJ's
called them HoJo's. We begged her to make them all the time.

Even though my mom was not much of a cook, none of us knew it. The
simple things made us happy.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 07:13:52 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> My Dad loved his baloney, had to be the type still in the sausage shape
>>> with the red cover. He would slice it thick. Favorite sandwich was a
>>> quarter inch slice of baloney, equal amount of white onion, black
>>> pepper, and the bread had to have mustard on it. Carried that or an
>>> olive loaf sandwich in his lunch bucket for 40 years. He also ate
>>> deviled ham and vienna sausage on a regular basis. the only thing he ate
>>> that I liked, and still like, was sardines on a cracker with a little
>>> mustard. Dad ate fried salt pork most mornings for breakfast, I could
>>> never stomach the stuff myself.
>>>

>> As a child growing up in the very late 40s thru the mid 50s, whenever we
>> would take road trips there were few places to stop for a meal on the old
>> narrow highways. My mother would always pack a box or basket with devilled
>> ham, vienna sausages, cheeses (often those little jars of Kraft), crackers,
>> cut up raw vegetables, and pieces of fruit. We always had a gallon thermos
>> jug of iced tea. We'd make short stops along the road for a bite, or even
>> eat while driving.
>>
>> If we were gone for a week or two to visit relatives, the night we arrived
>> home there was little in the house to fix a meal. Mom would bake biscuits
>> and scramble eggs, sometimes slicing vienna sausages to be cooked in with
>> the eggs. If we had brought a country ham back with us, we'd often have
>> fried ham.
>>

>Ahh, memories of country ham. In the forties and fifties we used to make
>the then laborious trip to Central Louisiana to visit my Dad's uncles
>and aunts, my paternal Grandmother's siblings. They were all still
>farming on homesteads, pulled their water from a dug well or the spring,
>had a privy out back and racked their stomps (yards). Not a blade of
>grass was allowed in the house yard as it could hide snakes, pig or
>chicken poop and the old aunties didn't want anything tracked into the
>dogtrot houses they lived in.
>
>Out back would be a good sized smokehouse that was in use all year.
>Generally we would get some home made sausage and at least one ham. One
>year we got three smoked rabbits, a smoked raccoon, two hams, and about
>ten lbs of sausage. We all thought we had died and gone to heaven. By
>the late fifties the eldest of them were all gone, my grandmother in
>1983, a year after my Dad went, then her two youngest brothers died up
>in their nineties just about ten years ago. The young ones that are left
>all live in town and have real jobs but no real food.

I had a couple of uncles who were still farming when I was growing up.
You never left their homes without something to eat, either fresh,
canned or frozen. I sometimes wonder how my aunts felt about all of
their hard work walking out the door.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 18:16:02 -0400, Tara >
wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:11:09 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:
>
>>Goomba wrote:

>>> My recently departed Mother-in-law always buttered her toast before
>>> putting peanut butter on it. She made me toast that way once and I
>>> thought it unnecessarily salty. I love my peanut butter, but don't feel
>>> it needs any additional adornment....unless it is bacon, or banana or
>>> chocolate..... LOL

>>One of my favorite sandwiches used to be sliced banana on whole wheat
>>with Miracle Whip on the bread on one side and peanut butter on the
>>other side. Haven't had one in years though.

>I grew up eating peanut butter and banana sandwiches. I loved them.
>They are healthier than peanut butter and jelly.

I never liked the sandwiches, but I did like to smear PB on a banana.
Nothing wrong with a drizzle of hersheys syrup on that too.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 03:33:19 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Serene Vannoy wrote:
>> Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>>> Chipped dried beef and SOS are two different dishes. The military is
>>> famous for SOS which is ground beef, browned and then added to the
>>> white gravy. Chipped (diced) dried beef is completely different
>>> because it uses thinly-sliced dried beef, not ground beef. Duh.

>> My dad was in the military, and says that they're both SOS. SOS,
>> according to him, is any gloppy garbage thrown on bread or toast. Most of
>> the time, he said, it was chipped beef, but sometimes it was
>> as you describe.
>>
>> Serene

>The Marines never served my Dad (who was in for 30 years) ground beef in
>white gravy and called it SOS. It was always chipped beef in sauce on
>toast. And I love it! Ground beef in white gravy doesn't sound at all
>appealing.

I have to agree with you.

>If you're gonna go that route, might as well make sausage gravy

So many people don't know how to make gravy. This group is not
typical of the fast food crazed society we live in. A few weeks ago
we were on a weekend holiday with friends. They, and Louise eat
breakfast. I don't. The husband of the other couple made some eggs
and breakfast sausage. He asked what he should do to clean the cast
pan he did the sausage in. I told him to leave it for my lunch.
Later I made gravy and put it on some toast with the leftover sausage.
They were amazed at how easy it was. Many people can't cook.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 24, 4:14*pm, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> My dad was in the military, and says that they're both SOS. SOS,
> according to him, is any gloppy garbage thrown on bread or toast. *Most
> of the time, he said, it was chipped beef, but sometimes it was as you
> describe.

My Dad, who was in the Army, said the sos thing about all variations,
too... Oh, and he loved Army food, btw, especially the sos.

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:36:35 -0500, Lou Decruss >
wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:16:36 -0500, "Chris Marksberry"
> wrote:
>
>>You know Blake, I think that "bobo's" (AKA Bryan)post is just the type of
>>insult that would discourage new users of r.f.c. from ever wanting to join
>>r.f.c. and therefore losing a lot of good potential posters. Bryan, of
>>course, is not the lone poster of rudeness, insults, etc. I'm used to it
>>and fully understand the concept of needing a thick skin when posting, but
>>some people can't or won't realize that there's a real person behind who
>>wrote the post. The only thing you can do is "get out of the kitchen if you
>>can't stand the heat". Unfortunate though. Just my 2 cents.

>Well said.
>
>I don't mind someone with an opinion as long as there's a brain behind
>it. If bozoboner ate as healthy as he preaches he wouldn't have that
>beer belly.
>
>I don't see his posts and luckily very few people respond to him so I
>don't see much of that either.
>
>Lou

sorry, lou. sometimes i can't resist twit-twitting.

a moral failing, i'm sure, but necessary to bolster my flagging
self-esteem by derogating others.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:02:56 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:16:36 -0500, "Chris Marksberry"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >You know Blake, I think that "bobo's" (AKA Bryan)post is just the type of
>> >insult that would discourage new users of r.f.c. from ever wanting to

>join
>> >r.f.c. and therefore losing a lot of good potential posters. Bryan, of
>> >course, is not the lone poster of rudeness, insults, etc. I'm used to it
>> >and fully understand the concept of needing a thick skin when posting,

>but
>> >some people can't or won't realize that there's a real person behind who
>> >wrote the post. The only thing you can do is "get out of the kitchen if

>you
>> >can't stand the heat". Unfortunate though. Just my 2 cents.

>> Well said.
>>
>> I don't mind someone with an opinion as long as there's a brain behind
>> it. If bozoboner ate as healthy as he preaches he wouldn't have that
>> beer belly.
>>
>> I don't see his posts and luckily very few people respond to him so I
>> don't see much of that either.

>The Booboo sometimes I think must be Martha Hughes in drag...you just can't
>dislike something, you also have to haul off and call the person that person
>"stupid". One doesn't have to blurt out *everything* that passes through
>one's brain pan, as that leads to the dreaded "foot - in - mouthus" disease.
>
><chuckle>

again, this is pretty rich coming from you. why don't you take a
vacation from cyber's pussy once in while? or least refrain from your
demented descriptions of it?

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 25 Jun 2008 06:33:55a, George Shirley told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Virginia

meal's

laid

for

black

of

>>> Ahh, memories of country ham. In the forties and fifties we used to

make
>>> the then laborious trip to Central Louisiana to visit my Dad's uncles
>>> and aunts, my paternal Grandmother's siblings. They were all still
>>> farming on homesteads, pulled their water from a dug well or the

spring,
>>> had a privy out back and racked their stomps (yards). Not a blade of
>>> grass was allowed in the house yard as it could hide snakes, pig or
>>> chicken poop and the old aunties didn't want anything tracked into the
>>> dogtrot houses they lived in.
>>>
>>> Out back would be a good sized smokehouse that was in use all year.
>>> Generally we would get some home made sausage and at least one ham. One
>>> year we got three smoked rabbits, a smoked raccoon, two hams, and about
>>> ten lbs of sausage. We all thought we had died and gone to heaven. By
>>> the late fifties the eldest of them were all gone, my grandmother in
>>> 1983, a year after my Dad went, then her two youngest brothers died up
>>> in their nineties just about ten years ago. The young ones that are

left
>>> all live in town and have real jobs but no real food.
>>>

>> You are describing my paternal grandparents' and great uncles' farms in
>> Mississippi to a "T", except that there was only smoked hams, bacon,

and
>> sausage in the smokehouse. Except for my grandfather who died at 78,

all
>> the rest lived into their nineties. My grandmother lived to 101.
>>

> Country folk are about all the same Wayne. Mostly good people who lived
> their lives sharing with family and friends. Some of us still cling to
> that way of life to the extent we can.

It was never bred out of me, George, even though I myself never lived in
the country. However, I have spent a great deal of time there.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 06(VI)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Half the fun of being alive is not
knowing what tomorrow will bring. The
other half is pretending you don't care.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 25 Jun 2008 08:25:31a, The Cook told us...

> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 07:13:52 -0500, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Tue 24 Jun 2008 09:47:06a, George Shirley told us...

>>> As a child growing up in the very late 40s thru the mid 50s, whenever
>>> we would take road trips there were few places to stop for a meal on
>>> the old narrow highways. My mother would always pack a box or basket
>>> with devilled ham, vienna sausages, cheeses (often those little jars
>>> of Kraft), crackers, cut up raw vegetables, and pieces of fruit. We
>>> always had a gallon thermos jug of iced tea. We'd make short stops
>>> along the road for a bite, or even eat while driving.
>>>
>>> If we were gone for a week or two to visit relatives, the night we
>>> arrived home there was little in the house to fix a meal. Mom would
>>> bake biscuits and scramble eggs, sometimes slicing vienna sausages to
>>> be cooked in with the eggs. If we had brought a country ham back with
>>> us, we'd often have fried ham.
>>>

>>Ahh, memories of country ham. In the forties and fifties we used to make
>>the then laborious trip to Central Louisiana to visit my Dad's uncles
>>and aunts, my paternal Grandmother's siblings. They were all still
>>farming on homesteads, pulled their water from a dug well or the spring,
>> had a privy out back and racked their stomps (yards). Not a blade of
>>grass was allowed in the house yard as it could hide snakes, pig or
>>chicken poop and the old aunties didn't want anything tracked into the
>>dogtrot houses they lived in.
>>
>>Out back would be a good sized smokehouse that was in use all year.
>>Generally we would get some home made sausage and at least one ham. One
>>year we got three smoked rabbits, a smoked raccoon, two hams, and about
>>ten lbs of sausage. We all thought we had died and gone to heaven. By
>>the late fifties the eldest of them were all gone, my grandmother in
>>1983, a year after my Dad went, then her two youngest brothers died up
>>in their nineties just about ten years ago. The young ones that are left
>> all live in town and have real jobs but no real food.

> I had a couple of uncles who were still farming when I was growing up.
> You never left their homes without something to eat, either fresh,
> canned or frozen. I sometimes wonder how my aunts felt about all of
> their hard work walking out the door.

How true that was. There was almost always a meal, and we always lefts
with home-canned jars of veggies, fruits, pickles, and jams. "No" was not
in their vocabulary.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 06(VI)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Half the fun of being alive is not
knowing what tomorrow will bring. The
other half is pretending you don't care.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 25 Jun 2008 08:25:31a, The Cook told us...
>
>> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 07:13:52 -0500, George Shirley
>> > wrote:

>>> Ahh, memories of country ham. In the forties and fifties we used to make
>>> the then laborious trip to Central Louisiana to visit my Dad's uncles
>>> and aunts, my paternal Grandmother's siblings. They were all still
>>> farming on homesteads, pulled their water from a dug well or the spring,
>>> had a privy out back and racked their stomps (yards). Not a blade of
>>> grass was allowed in the house yard as it could hide snakes, pig or
>>> chicken poop and the old aunties didn't want anything tracked into the
>>> dogtrot houses they lived in.
>>>
>>> Out back would be a good sized smokehouse that was in use all year.
>>> Generally we would get some home made sausage and at least one ham. One
>>> year we got three smoked rabbits, a smoked raccoon, two hams, and about
>>> ten lbs of sausage. We all thought we had died and gone to heaven. By
>>> the late fifties the eldest of them were all gone, my grandmother in
>>> 1983, a year after my Dad went, then her two youngest brothers died up
>>> in their nineties just about ten years ago. The young ones that are left
>>> all live in town and have real jobs but no real food.

>> I had a couple of uncles who were still farming when I was growing up.
>> You never left their homes without something to eat, either fresh,
>> canned or frozen. I sometimes wonder how my aunts felt about all of
>> their hard work walking out the door.
>>

> How true that was. There was almost always a meal, and we always lefts
> with home-canned jars of veggies, fruits, pickles, and jams. "No" was not
> in their vocabulary.

We do the same with our descendants, none of them can or put up food and
we do. they always go home with boxes and bags of jams, jellies,
preserves, hot sauce, etc. To be fair they always bring the jars and
rings back in hope of getting a refill.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 25 Jun 2008 11:34:39a, George Shirley told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Wed 25 Jun 2008 08:25:31a, The Cook told us...
>>
>>> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 07:13:52 -0500, George Shirley

>>> I had a couple of uncles who were still farming when I was growing up.
>>> You never left their homes without something to eat, either fresh,
>>> canned or frozen. I sometimes wonder how my aunts felt about all of
>>> their hard work walking out the door.
>>>

>> How true that was. There was almost always a meal, and we always lefts
>> with home-canned jars of veggies, fruits, pickles, and jams. "No" was
>> not in their vocabulary.
>>

> We do the same with our descendants, none of them can or put up food and
> we do. they always go home with boxes and bags of jams, jellies,
> preserves, hot sauce, etc. To be fair they always bring the jars and
> rings back in hope of getting a refill.

Lordy, George, I wish I was one of your descendants. :-) I am capable of
canning, pickling, and making jams and preserves, but I really am not up to
the task of attempting to grow the vegetables and fruits in this damned
desert. What little bit of the canning/preserving bit I do, I have to rely
on local markets, but I often can't get the things I'd really like to have.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 06(VI)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Useless Invention: Steel-belted radial
rubber bands.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 24, 2:02*pm, "Gregory Morrow" >
wrote:
> The Booboo sometimes I think must be Martha Hughes in drag...you just can't
> dislike something, you also have to haul off and call the person that person
> "stupid". *One doesn't have to blurt out *everything* that passes through
> one's brain pan, as that leads to the dreaded "foot - in - mouthus" disease.

What ever happened to Martha, anyway?

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:34:39 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Wed 25 Jun 2008 08:25:31a, The Cook told us...
>>
>>> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 07:13:52 -0500, George Shirley

>>> I had a couple of uncles who were still farming when I was growing up.
>>> You never left their homes without something to eat, either fresh,
>>> canned or frozen. I sometimes wonder how my aunts felt about all of
>>> their hard work walking out the door.
>>>

>> How true that was. There was almost always a meal, and we always lefts
>> with home-canned jars of veggies, fruits, pickles, and jams. "No" was not
>> in their vocabulary.
>>

>We do the same with our descendants, none of them can or put up food and
>we do. they always go home with boxes and bags of jams, jellies,
>preserves, hot sauce, etc. To be fair they always bring the jars and
>rings back in hope of getting a refill.

I've told my kids that they do not get more until I get my jars back.
My DIL is way ahead. I think she has brought me two boxes of quart
jars she has found at yard sales or thrift stores. Plus returning the
jars as she empties them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 24, 10:56*am, Goomba > wrote:
> merryb wrote:
> >> LOL, the small glass jars make good juice glasses. My family always had
> >> a mess of them, along with the little hour glass shaped jars that small
> >> frozen shrimp cocktails came in back in the 60's.

> > That's pretty funny- we used the shrimp cocktail jars for juice
> > glasses!!!

> LOL and yet I can't imagine buying frozen shrimp cocktails now.. do they
> even still sell them? They were tres sixties!

I have no idea- I just make my own when the urge hits...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> The Booboo sometimes I think must be Martha Hughes in drag...you just

can't
> dislike something, you also have to haul off and call the person that

person
> "stupid". One doesn't have to blurt out *everything* that passes through
> one's brain pan, as that leads to the dreaded "foot - in - mouthus"

disease.

What ever happened to Martha, anyway?
------------------------

GM:

I dunno, AFAIK she's been off of Usenet for well over a year now...

I don't know if it was that Martha was tired of Usenet, or Usenet was weary
of Martha, who knows...

But I'm sure she's found *some* rafter somewheres to hang upside down
from...

;-)

She once mentioned that she lit black candles to curse her "enemies", I
wonder if there is one black candle left in the entire Bay Area. I know she
used up a bunch for me, lol...

I certainly miss her for her "entertainment" value...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Randy Johnson wrote:

> On 24-Jun-2008, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> Found that Hormel product today at my pedestrian chain supermarket. Shit
>> was a buck an ounce. Yow. I was surprised that it was ground up and
>> fabricated into slices. I figured you guys were going for a
>> real-not-paste meat.

> Dude, its "canned" meat; expect all "canned" (meaning "put up", like canning
> tomatoes) meat to be flaked and formed, or scraped and compressed, or somes
> sort of floor-scraps made into something manageable. Just 'cause it started
> out as floor-scrap paste don't mean it ain't tasty.

Canned ("put up") pigs feet aren't flaked/formed/scraped/compressed.

> If it was the kind in a jar instead of the pouch, you have to deduct the

It was the glass jar. When I wrote "found that Hormel product", up above,
it was on the line after the link to Hormel jarred beef. Someone snipped
that association, above.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> consider that a 2AM drunks meal, but back them we all loved it.

Fatburger, on the way home from the saloon! Mmmmmm!

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> I never liked the sandwiches, but I did like to smear PB on a banana.
> Nothing wrong with a drizzle of hersheys syrup on that too.

You seem to have forgot the ice cream underneath all that.

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?
Need a new feed?
http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 20:26:39 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

>On 25-Jun-2008, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> So many people don't know how to make gravy. This group is not
>> typical of the fast food crazed society we live in. A few weeks ago
>> we were on a weekend holiday with friends. They, and Louise eat
>> breakfast. I don't. The husband of the other couple made some eggs
>> and breakfast sausage. He asked what he should do to clean the cast
>> pan he did the sausage in. I told him to leave it for my lunch.
>> Later I made gravy and put it on some toast with the leftover sausage.
>> They were amazed at how easy it was. Many people can't cook.

>I can't believe my local grocer sells a bag of cooked and peeled hard-boiled
>eggs.

I've seen those. And expensive too. People freak out when I shred my
own cheese. Someone said: Why don't you buy it pre-shredded? I said
I didn't want the anti-caking agents in my cheese. They said: HUH?

> Apparently even in some small restaurants can't or don't want to
>cook. I was in Sam's Club the other day and while wandering down an aisle
>spotted a gallon can of "sausage gravy"; over in the freezer case they had
>frozen biscuits that you just pop in the oven.

Gawd that's sad.

>Guess you don't even have to cook anymore to start a crummy diner.

LOL.. You just need a bunch of money and be prepared to face the fact
that there's a 90% chance you'll lose it all in 12 months.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:19:34 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> consider that a 2AM drunks meal, but back them we all loved it.

>Fatburger, on the way home from the saloon! Mmmmmm!

Around here we have White Castle. But if I'm drinking that much these
days there's no way I'd be on the road. But we can get a crave case
of 30 and toss it in the fridge or freezer. We do it about once a
year. The last time was last July when we moved. I'm still farting
from them.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:20:31 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> I never liked the sandwiches, but I did like to smear PB on a banana.
>> Nothing wrong with a drizzle of hersheys syrup on that too.

>You seem to have forgot the ice cream underneath all that.

Dang!!! I'm always forgetting SOMETHING!!

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 17:35:45 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:36:35 -0500, Lou Decruss >
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:16:36 -0500, "Chris Marksberry"
> wrote:
>>
>>>You know Blake, I think that "bobo's" (AKA Bryan)post is just the type of
>>>insult that would discourage new users of r.f.c. from ever wanting to join
>>>r.f.c. and therefore losing a lot of good potential posters. Bryan, of
>>>course, is not the lone poster of rudeness, insults, etc. I'm used to it
>>>and fully understand the concept of needing a thick skin when posting, but
>>>some people can't or won't realize that there's a real person behind who
>>>wrote the post. The only thing you can do is "get out of the kitchen if you
>>>can't stand the heat". Unfortunate though. Just my 2 cents.

>>Well said.
>>
>>I don't mind someone with an opinion as long as there's a brain behind
>>it. If bozoboner ate as healthy as he preaches he wouldn't have that
>>beer belly.
>>
>>I don't see his posts and luckily very few people respond to him so I
>>don't see much of that either.
>>
>>Lou

>sorry, lou. sometimes i can't resist twit-twitting.

Don't take it personally Blake. It's no problem.

>a moral failing, i'm sure, but necessary to bolster my flagging
>self-esteem by derogating others.

LOL

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:19:34 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> > wrote:
>
>>Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>>> consider that a 2AM drunks meal, but back them we all loved it.

>>Fatburger, on the way home from the saloon! Mmmmmm!

> Around here we have White Castle. But if I'm drinking that much these

If there's an end of the burger spetrum any further from FB than WC, I
don't know ot.

> days there's no way I'd be on the road. But we can get a crave case
> of 30 and toss it in the fridge or freezer. We do it about once a
> year. The last time was last July when we moved. I'm still farting
> from them.

Harf! Maybe one's stuck crossways in there and only letting small
fartlets through one at a time.

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?
Need a new feed?
http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 17:38:06 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:02:56 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>>The Booboo sometimes I think must be Martha Hughes in drag...you just can't
>>dislike something, you also have to haul off and call the person that person
>>"stupid". One doesn't have to blurt out *everything* that passes through
>>one's brain pan, as that leads to the dreaded "foot - in - mouthus" disease.
>>
>><chuckle>

>again, this is pretty rich coming from you. why don't you take a
>vacation from cyber's pussy once in while? or least refrain from your
>demented descriptions of it?

The descriptions are probably very accurate, but I agree that we don't
need to read it all the time.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:58:50 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:19:34 -0700, Blinky the Shark
>> > wrote:

>>>Fatburger, on the way home from the saloon! Mmmmmm!

>> Around here we have White Castle. But if I'm drinking that much these

>If there's an end of the burger spetrum any further from FB than WC, I
>don't know ot.

I don't know FB, but I do know WC is drunks food. It's good for
hangovers too.

>> days there's no way I'd be on the road. But we can get a crave case
>> of 30 and toss it in the fridge or freezer. We do it about once a
>> year. The last time was last July when we moved. I'm still farting
>> from them.

>Harf! Maybe one's stuck crossways in there and only letting small
>fartlets through one at a time.

Small?

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:58:50 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> > wrote:
>
>>Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:19:34 -0700, Blinky the Shark

>>> Around here we have White Castle. But if I'm drinking that much these

>>If there's an end of the burger spetrum any further from FB than WC, I
>>don't know ot.

> I don't know FB, but I do know WC is drunks food. It's good for
> hangovers too.
>
>>> days there's no way I'd be on the road. But we can get a crave case
>>> of 30 and toss it in the fridge or freezer. We do it about once a
>>> year. The last time was last July when we moved. I'm still farting
>>> from them.

>>Harf! Maybe one's stuck crossways in there and only letting small
>>fartlets through one at a time.

> Small?

It was just a guess.

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?
Need a new feed?
http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 25, 3:27*pm, merryb > wrote:
> On Jun 24, 10:56*am, Goomba > wrote:
>

> > merryb wrote:

> > > That's pretty funny- we used the shrimp cocktail jars for juice
> > > glasses!!!

> > LOL and yet I can't imagine buying frozen shrimp cocktails now.. do they
> > even still sell them? They were tres sixties!

> I have no idea- I just make my own when the urge hits...- Hide quoted text -

I don't remember those shrimp cocktail thingies and I was an adult in
the sixties! We must have been stuck on fondue and other fun sixties
things. LOL. I wish I'd seen them. I don't think they make them any
more.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-06-26, Nancy2 > wrote:

> I don't remember those shrimp cocktail thingies and I was an adult in
> the sixties! We must have been stuck on fondue and other fun sixties
> things. LOL. I wish I'd seen them. I don't think they make them any
> more.

I'd be amazed if that were true. I used to buy them all the time. Came in
little hourglass shaped glass jars with tin pry-off lid. Great solution to
the munchies.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

>>> LOL and yet I can't imagine buying frozen shrimp cocktails now.. do
>>> they even still sell them? They were tres sixties!

>> I have no idea- I just make my own when the urge hits

> I don't remember those shrimp cocktail thingies and I was an adult in
> the sixties! We must have been stuck on fondue and other fun sixties
> things. LOL. I wish I'd seen them. I don't think they make them any
> more.

You kidding, SauSea Shrimp Cocktail! My Irish relatives would
have those. I actually looked for those in the last year, I didn't
see them off hand. Although I don't care for those teeny salad
shrimp, I have a fondness for those little jars of shrimp cocktail.

nancy