Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Creamed Chipped Beef

On Tue, 4 May 2010 08:41:24 -0700 (PDT), merryb wrote:

>> OB Food: Creamed chipped beef on toast! I feel fat, for now!

> That is something I have never tried, and don't think I ever will- I
> only recently tried chicken fried steak!

Try the Stouffers version on a baked potato or over rice. I bought
it again for the first time in 20 years and it's till good.

(Moving this out of an Andy-thread for everyone's sake)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 4 May 2010 08:41:24 -0700 (PDT), merryb wrote:
>
>>> OB Food: Creamed chipped beef on toast! I feel fat, for now!

>> That is something I have never tried, and don't think I ever will- I
>> only recently tried chicken fried steak!

> Try the Stouffers version on a baked potato or over rice. I bought
> it again for the first time in 20 years and it's till good.
>
> (Moving this out of an Andy-thread for everyone's sake)
>
> -sw

Creamed chipped beef can actually be great...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, 1:26*pm, "Janet" > wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:

> >> That is something I have never tried, and don't think I ever will- I
> >> only recently tried chicken fried steak!

> > Try the Stouffers version on a baked potato or over rice. *I bought
> > it again for the first time in 20 years and it's till good.

> > (Moving this out of an Andy-thread for everyone's sake)

> > -sw

> Creamed chipped beef can actually be great...

I really like it on toast - but I think most Americans use chopped
dried beef, don't they? Everyone I know does.

OTOH, "sh*t on a shingle" I believe is the same basic bechamel only
with crumbled cooked ground beef in it.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 May 2010 12:32:36 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 4 May 2010 08:41:24 -0700 (PDT), merryb wrote:
>
>>> OB Food: Creamed chipped beef on toast! I feel fat, for now!

>> That is something I have never tried, and don't think I ever will- I
>> only recently tried chicken fried steak!

>Try the Stouffers version on a baked potato or over rice. I bought
>it again for the first time in 20 years and it's till good.
>
>(Moving this out of an Andy-thread for everyone's sake)
>
>-sw

We had it a lot growing up. I liked it best over potatoes as you say.
Probably because as a kid it was the most filling. I've never had it
with rice. My mom used Buddig meat and canned cream of mushroom soup.
I don't use canned soup but I do like mushrooms in it along with onion
and garlic. It's also good over bazooka biscuits for a fast meal on a
lazy evening. I see the Buddig recipe includes Dijon which sounds
really good too. Now I want some.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> On May 4, 1:26 pm, "Janet" > wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>> > Try the Stouffers version on a baked potato or over rice. I bought
>> > it again for the first time in 20 years and it's till good.

>> > (Moving this out of an Andy-thread for everyone's sake)

>> > -sw

>> Creamed chipped beef can actually be great...

> I really like it on toast - but I think most Americans use chopped
> dried beef, don't they? Everyone I know does.
>
> OTOH, "sh*t on a shingle" I believe is the same basic bechamel only
> with crumbled cooked ground beef in it.
>
> N.

I like it best over Belgian waffles. That just really makes my day.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
On May 4, 1:26 pm, "Janet" > wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:

> >> That is something I have never tried, and don't think I ever will- I
> >> only recently tried chicken fried steak!

> > Try the Stouffers version on a baked potato or over rice. I bought
> > it again for the first time in 20 years and it's till good.

> > (Moving this out of an Andy-thread for everyone's sake)

> > -sw

> Creamed chipped beef can actually be great...

I really like it on toast - but I think most Americans use chopped
dried beef, don't they? Everyone I know does.

OTOH, "sh*t on a shingle" I believe is the same basic bechamel only
with crumbled cooked ground beef in it.

N.

Please, let's don't start this 20-year old debate over The definition of
the recipe for "SOS" depends upon which branch of the service you ask and
what year(s) they served. Ground beef? Chipped beef? The stuff I remember
from childhood in the 1960's was creamed chipped beef on toast. I also
remember not liking it when I was about 5. I love creamed chipped beef now

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, 3:50*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Nancy2" > wrote in message

> On May 4, 1:26 pm, "Janet" > wrote:
>

> > Sqwertz wrote:

> > > Try the Stouffers version on a baked potato or over rice. I bought
> > > it again for the first time in 20 years and it's till good.

> > > (Moving this out of an Andy-thread for everyone's sake)

> > > -sw

> > Creamed chipped beef can actually be great...

> I really like it on toast - but I think most Americans use chopped
> dried beef, don't they? *Everyone I know does.
>
> OTOH, "sh*t on a shingle" I believe is the same basic bechamel only
> with crumbled cooked ground beef in it.
>
> N.
>
> Please, let's don't start this 20-year old debate over *The definition of
> the recipe for "SOS" depends upon which branch of the service you ask and
> what year(s) they served. *Ground beef? *Chipped beef? *The stuff I remember
> from childhood in the 1960's was creamed chipped beef on toast. *I also
> remember not liking it when I was about 5. *I love creamed chipped beef now
>

> Jill- Hide quoted text -

I'm not trying to start anything - I don't know what SOS was except
for what people described here....but "chipped beef" can certainly be
interpreted several ways, and I was just trying to differentiate what
I consider "chipped beef" (chopped up dried beef) from SOS. Bite me.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2010 5:21 PM, l, not -l wrote:
> On 4-May-2010, > wrote:
>
>> The definition of
>> the recipe for "SOS" depends upon which branch of the service you ask and
>> what year(s) they served. Ground beef? Chipped beef? The stuff I
>> remember
>> from childhood in the 1960's was creamed chipped beef on toast. I also
>> remember not liking it when I was about 5. I love creamed chipped beef
>> now
>>

> I'll add a bit to the variation; while serving in the Army (Republic of
> Vietnamm 1968-1969), I had it both ways - dried beef and ground beef. It
> depended on what supplies were available; some firebases had cook tents but
> little or no refrigeration and had to make do with canned ingredients, such
> as powdered eggs and dried beef. More substantial bases were better
> equipped and regularly used fresh ingredients. The sauce/gravy was the
> same, but the meat varied, as did the "shingle" - sometimes, the shingle was
> just a pile of rubbery eggs (reconstituted, dried eggs).

U.S. Navy, 1957-1963, SOS only was made with dried beef that was
chipped, put in a cream gravy, and served over toast. On one ship I was
on the Tuesday luncheon in the chow hall was called "Miscarriage on
toast", ie. MOT, there was often another word used in the M's place but
I won't use that. It was crumbled, fried ground beef with onions in a
tomato sauce and served over toast. Wasn't half bad but I still prefer
SOS. Nowadays I have to soak the dried beef to get much of the salt out
but it's still good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Tue, 4 May 2010 08:41:24 -0700 (PDT), merryb wrote:
>
> >> OB Food: Creamed chipped beef on toast! I feel fat, for now!

> > That is something I have never tried, and don't think I ever will- I
> > only recently tried chicken fried steak!

> Try the Stouffers version on a baked potato or over rice. I bought
> it again for the first time in 20 years and it's till good.

That used to be one of my favorite frozen foods.
I'd boil up a batch of frozen ravioli or tortellini
or steam some broccoli, and pour the Stouffer's
over that. It's an astoundingly good product.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 May 2010 12:12:52 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2 wrote:

> I really like it on toast - but I think most Americans use chopped
> dried beef, don't they? Everyone I know does.

The Armor stuff in the blue bottle. Beef in a bottle?

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 5 May 2010 01:09:28 GMT, l, not -l wrote:

> On 4-May-2010, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> The Armor stuff in the blue bottle. Beef in a bottle?
>>
>> -sw

> That's the stuff. I have a nice collection of "juice glasses" from those
> little jars with the pry-off lids

I saw that they now come in foil packages like the tuna now, too.
Collect more glasses, because they may be disappearing soon in favor
of the later (saves shelf-space, damage, shipping, packaging costs,
etc...)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Try the Stouffers version on a baked potato or over rice. I bought
> it again for the first time in 20 years and it's till good.
>
> (Moving this out of an Andy-thread for everyone's sake)
>
> -sw

Love it on hot toasted big croutons of rye or pumpernickle.
I also like it with little green peas in it sometimes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 May 2010 18:44:14 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Nowadays I have to soak the dried beef to get much of the salt out
>but it's still good.

I've tried dried beef a couple of times over the years, but there's
something wrong with it. The texture isn't what I remember chipped
beef being.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
On May 4, 3:50 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Nancy2" > wrote in message

> On May 4, 1:26 pm, "Janet" > wrote:
>

> > Sqwertz wrote:

> > > Try the Stouffers version on a baked potato or over rice. I bought
> > > it again for the first time in 20 years and it's till good.

> > > (Moving this out of an Andy-thread for everyone's sake)

> > > -sw

> > Creamed chipped beef can actually be great...

> I really like it on toast - but I think most Americans use chopped
> dried beef, don't they? Everyone I know does.
>
> OTOH, "sh*t on a shingle" I believe is the same basic bechamel only
> with crumbled cooked ground beef in it.
>
> N.
>
> Please, let's don't start this 20-year old debate over The definition
> of
> the recipe for "SOS" depends upon which branch of the service you ask and
> what year(s) they served. Ground beef? Chipped beef? The stuff I remember
> from childhood in the 1960's was creamed chipped beef on toast. I also
> remember not liking it when I was about 5. I love creamed chipped beef now
>

> Jill- Hide quoted text -

I'm not trying to start anything - I don't know what SOS was except
for what people described here....but "chipped beef" can certainly be
interpreted several ways, and I was just trying to differentiate what
I consider "chipped beef" (chopped up dried beef) from SOS. Bite me.

N.

Nancy, I guess you didn't notice my winking smiley. I wasn't actually
accusing you of anything. It's tongue in cheek. And I prefer creamed
chipped beef in a seasoned white sauce over ground beef in the same medium.
One could even argue southern sausage gravy is SOS, but I wouldn't believe
it. Relax, already. Unless you just want to jump on the "I hate Jill"
bandwagon, in which case, go right ahead.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, 10:25*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
> > Try the Stouffers version on a baked potato or over rice. *I bought
> > it again for the first time in 20 years and it's till good.

> > (Moving this out of an Andy-thread for everyone's sake)

> > -sw

> Love it on hot toasted big croutons of rye or pumpernickle.
> I also like it with little green peas in it sometimes.

....or hard-boiled eggs, chunked.

I usually buy Buddig because it's not as salty and doesn't need
rinsing first, and I don't need the "juice" jars, but I love the stuff
in the jars just plain in sandwiches (with Boetje's mustard, butter
and lettuce).

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 5, 7:46*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Nancy2" > wrote in message

> On May 4, 3:50 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>

> > "Nancy2" > wrote in message

> > > Creamed chipped beef can actually be great...

> > I really like it on toast - but I think most Americans use chopped
> > dried beef, don't they? Everyone I know does.

> > OTOH, "sh*t on a shingle" I believe is the same basic bechamel only
> > with crumbled cooked ground beef in it.

> > N.

> > Please, let's don't start this 20-year old debate over The definition
> > of
> > the recipe for "SOS" depends upon which branch of the service you ask and
> > what year(s) they served. Ground beef? Chipped beef? The stuff I remember
> > from childhood in the 1960's was creamed chipped beef on toast. I also
> > remember not liking it when I was about 5. I love creamed chipped beef now
> >

> > Jill- Hide quoted text -

> I'm not trying to start anything - I don't know what SOS was except
> for what people described here....but "chipped beef" can certainly be
> interpreted several ways, and I was just trying to differentiate what
> I consider "chipped beef" (chopped up dried beef) from SOS. *Bite me.
>
> N.
>
> Nancy, I guess you didn't notice my winking smiley. *I wasn't actually
> accusing you of anything. *It's tongue in cheek. *And I prefer creamed
> chipped beef in a seasoned white sauce over ground beef in the same medium.
> One could even argue southern sausage gravy is SOS, but I wouldn't believe
> it. *Relax, already. *Unless you just want to jump on the "I hate Jill"
> bandwagon, in which case, go right ahead.
>
> Jill- Hide quoted text -

Nah, I did miss your wink, my bad. (I love sausage & biscuits, too,
but would never call it SOS.)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

> U.S. Navy, 1957-1963, SOS only was made with dried beef that was
> chipped, put in a cream gravy, and served over toast.

US Navy 1978-1984 all at air stations. SOS was only made with ground
beef. One deployment was at a USAF station in Japan where it was over
biskets.

Where I to make it myself I'd use chipped beef, a cream based gravy,
over a wheat-free toast. I haven't made it in over a decade. I like it
with boiled eggs diced in but I don't remember it that way while I was
in the military.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2010 12:01 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>>
>> U.S. Navy, 1957-1963, SOS only was made with dried beef that was
>> chipped, put in a cream gravy, and served over toast.

> US Navy 1978-1984 all at air stations. SOS was only made with ground
> beef. One deployment was at a USAF station in Japan where it was over
> biskets.

I had never realized until now that the USN had a dried beef famine at
that time. <G> I don't think I would have liked creamed ground beef.

> Where I to make it myself I'd use chipped beef, a cream based gravy,
> over a wheat-free toast. I haven't made it in over a decade. I like it
> with boiled eggs diced in but I don't remember it that way while I was
> in the military.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-

Thanks, I make Sausage Gravy for over biscuits, just didn't know what
beef to use. I was a kid last time I ate it . But I do remember that
it is salty. Do you just soak the canned beef it to remove salt?
Change water often? or am I totally wrong on how to lower salt?
Thanks again, he'll be surprised some morning!! Nan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> On 5/5/2010 12:01 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
> > George Shirley wrote:
> >>
> >> U.S. Navy, 1957-1963, SOS only was made with dried beef that was
> >> chipped, put in a cream gravy, and served over toast.

> > US Navy 1978-1984 all at air stations. SOS was only made with ground
> > beef. One deployment was at a USAF station in Japan where it was over
> > biskets.

This is just a data point- not promoting a single definition:
U.S. Coast Guard, 1956-1960. Both on shore and shipboard where
refrigeration was always available including several U.S.Navy mess
halls. SOS was always made with ground beef and basic white sauce. I've
never tried anything packaged as "chipped beef" and I'm curious.
Somewhat related, I've had some very good versions of carne seca in
Mexican restaurants and stores, particularly in the Tucson area. (I'm
fond of machaca for breakfast) I wonder how the two meat ingredients
compare when cooked.

D.M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article
Nan > wrote:

> -
>
> Thanks, I make Sausage Gravy for over biscuits, just didn't know what
> beef to use. I was a kid last time I ate it . But I do remember that
> it is salty. Do you just soak the canned beef it to remove salt?
> Change water often? or am I totally wrong on how to lower salt?

Cut it in slivers (which you need to do before putting it in the sauce
anyhow), pile it in a strainer or colander, and pour some very hot (or
boiling) water over it.

And don't forget the mushrooms.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 5, 11:15*pm, isw > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *Nan > wrote:
> > -

> > Thanks, I make Sausage Gravy for over *biscuits, just didn't know what
> > beef to use. *I was a kid last time I ate it . But I do remember that
> > it is salty. *Do you just soak the canned beef it to remove salt?
> > Change water often? or am I totally wrong on how to lower salt?

> Cut it in slivers (which you need to do before putting it in the sauce
> anyhow), pile it in a strainer or colander, and pour some very hot (or
> boiling) water over it.
>
> And don't forget the mushrooms.

Good Christ Almighty! TIAD at it's height.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

>> Creamed chipped beef can actually be great...

> I really like it on toast - but I think most Americans use chopped dried
> beef, don't they? Everyone I know does.
>
> OTOH, "sh*t on a shingle" I believe is the same basic bechamel only with
> crumbled cooked ground beef in it.

The term "SOS" is applied to both of those concoctions, but I think "vomit
on a shingle" is a better description of the ground beef version.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 5 May 2010 03:38:01 GMT, l, not -l wrote:

> On 4-May-2010, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> I saw that they now come in foil packages like the tuna now, too.
>> Collect more glasses, because they may be disappearing soon in favor
>> of the later (saves shelf-space, damage, shipping, packaging costs,
>> etc...)

> Some stores here (STL) have it in a pouch, others carry the glass jars. The
> store I shop most often carries the jar version; probably because it is a
> smaller store and jars takes less shelf space.

The jars would take _more_ shelf space. You could fit over 60
packages in a 4.5" wide space. With bottles you'd have to stack
them (and they're not really that stackable (unless you want them
falling all over the place).

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> The jars would take _more_ shelf space. You could fit over 60
> packages in a 4.5" wide space. With bottles you'd have to stack
> them (and they're not really that stackable (unless you want them
> falling all over the place).

Waaaaay back in the day as a kid, those jars made for very nice juice
glasses, as many products like jams and jellies were done in jars that
you could use as drinkware.

Not so long ago I mentioned to my mom that I couldn't find the dried
beef in a jar like she used to get, and I'll be darned if she didn't
find two jars of beef and send them to me! I haven't made creamed
chipped beef yet -- the nostalgia of seeing the beef in those jars keeps
me from doing it.

--Lin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 5 May 2010 03:38:01 GMT, l, not -l wrote:

> On 4-May-2010, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> I saw that they now come in foil packages like the tuna now, too.
>> Collect more glasses, because they may be disappearing soon in favor
>> of the later (saves shelf-space, damage, shipping, packaging costs,
>> etc...)
>>
>> -sw

> Some stores here (STL) have it in a pouch, others carry the glass jars. The
> store I shop most often carries the jar version; probably because it is a
> smaller store and jars takes less shelf space.

But I guess I see what you mean. One row wide would be 2" wide.
Duh.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 05 May 2010 21:15:20 -0700, isw wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Nan > wrote:
>
>> -
>>
>> Thanks, I make Sausage Gravy for over biscuits, just didn't know what
>> beef to use. I was a kid last time I ate it . But I do remember that
>> it is salty. Do you just soak the canned beef it to remove salt?
>> Change water often? or am I totally wrong on how to lower salt?

> Cut it in slivers (which you need to do before putting it in the sauce
> anyhow), pile it in a strainer or colander, and pour some very hot (or
> boiling) water over it.
>
> And don't forget the mushrooms.

You're going to need to salt your cream gravy, so I'd just leave it
alone.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lin > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > The jars would take _more_ shelf space. You could fit over 60
> > packages in a 4.5" wide space. With bottles you'd have to stack
> > them (and they're not really that stackable (unless you want them
> > falling all over the place).

> Waaaaay back in the day as a kid, those jars made for very nice juice
> glasses, as many products like jams and jellies were done in jars that
> you could use as drinkware.
>
> Not so long ago I mentioned to my mom that I couldn't find the dried
> beef in a jar like she used to get, and I'll be darned if she didn't
> find two jars of beef and send them to me! I haven't made creamed
> chipped beef yet -- the nostalgia of seeing the beef in those jars keeps
> me from doing it.
>
> --Lin

That's too cool. :-) I have a couple of colored aluminum glasses that
belonged to my maternal grandmother that once had jelly in them!
--
Peace! Om