Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Eggplant Caviar and Patak Curry

I espied a jar of "eggplant caviar" at the market today.

What the heck do you do with that?

I picked up a jar of Patak's Original curry sauce. Seems to be from the
UK. I don't know the brand. Anybody know it? Mundane? Just Okay?
Certifiably Good? No, I do not wish to make my own, or I wouldn't be
buying it jarred (usually Trader Joe's yellow).

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> I espied a jar of "eggplant caviar" at the market today.
>
> What the heck do you do with that?

I just eat it on crackers.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-06-05, Blinky the Shark wrote:

> I espied a jar of "eggplant caviar" at the market today.
>
> What the heck do you do with that?

Put it on crackers, I guess. ;-)

I've occasionally tried "vegetarian caviar" which was made from
seaweed, formed into 2 mm balls, and sold in caviar jars (i.e., small
jars like the ones that cheap fishy caviar comes in). It wasn't bad,
and I'd be happy to try "eggplant caviar" at least once. (On the
other hand, I will try almost any seafood *once*, provided it's dead.
YMMV. I haven't tried the cod liver in its own oil [1] yet. HTH.
HAND. BBQ. WTF.)

[1]
http://www.newsfroup.net/schelvislever/

> I picked up a jar of Patak's Original curry sauce. Seems to be from the
> UK. I don't know the brand. Anybody know it? Mundane? Just Okay?
> Certifiably Good? No, I do not wish to make my own, or I wouldn't be
> buying it jarred (usually Trader Joe's yellow).

Patak's products are sold (as well as made) in the UK, even in my
semi-local Pakistani grocery. AFAICT, they're pretty good, although I
prefer Fern's (made in India) pickles (especially the brinjal
(aubergine, i.e., eggplant again), which is much less sweet than other
brands of brinjal pickle, e.g., Patak's). But I'll eat Patak's
brinjal pickle when the shop is out of Fern's.

--
| _
| ( ) ASCII Ribbon Campaign
| X Against HTML email & news
| / \ www.asciiribbon.org
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> I espied a jar of "eggplant caviar" at the market today.
>
> What the heck do you do with that?

You chill it. Once chilled, you smear it on good, crusty bread of the
baguette type, or on toast.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:

> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> I espied a jar of "eggplant caviar" at the market today.
>>
>> What the heck do you do with that?

> You chill it. Once chilled, you smear it on good, crusty bread of the
> baguette type, or on toast.

Ah. Thanks. And to he/she/those who answered about eating it on crackers.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jun 5, 12:01*pm, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
> I espied a jar of "eggplant caviar" at the market today.
>
> What the heck do you do with that?

I don't know whether the jarred products are any good. You may know
it as "baba ganoush" (or similar spellings). Googling that term will
bring you a bunch of recipes. It's fun to make, leaves ample room to
express your personal tastes, serves well as a summertime appetizer
before grilled meals. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:

> The message .net> from
> Blinky the Shark > contains these words:
>

>> I espied a jar of "eggplant caviar" at the market today.

>> What the heck do you do with that?

> Its a dip (no fish eggs). Spread it on fingers of toast or raw veg.
>
>> I picked up a jar of Patak's Original curry sauce. Seems to be from the
>> UK. I don't know the brand. Anybody know it? Mundane? Just Okay?
>> Certifiably Good?

> It's a popular brand sold in nearly every supermarket in the UK.
> Patak's jars are to Indian cooking what Newman's spaghetti sauce jars are
> to Italian cooking.

IOW, nothing special, I trust. I've never knowingly had any Newman stuff,
I'll grant.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Janet Baraclough wrote:
>
> > The message .net> from
> > Blinky the Shark > contains these words:
> >

> >> I espied a jar of "eggplant caviar" at the market today.

> >> What the heck do you do with that?

> > Its a dip (no fish eggs). Spread it on fingers of toast or raw veg.
> >
> >> I picked up a jar of Patak's Original curry sauce. Seems to be from the
> >> UK. I don't know the brand. Anybody know it? Mundane? Just Okay?
> >> Certifiably Good?

> > It's a popular brand sold in nearly every supermarket in the UK.
> > Patak's jars are to Indian cooking what Newman's spaghetti sauce jars are
> > to Italian cooking.

> IOW, nothing special, I trust. I've never knowingly had any Newman stuff,
> I'll grant.

I don't know if I'd call it "nothing special". I've used the Patak's
spicy tomato cardamom cooking sauce and it's quite good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
news
> I picked up a jar of Patak's Original curry sauce. Seems to be from the
> UK. I don't know the brand. Anybody know it? Mundane? Just Okay?
> Certifiably Good? No, I do not wish to make my own, or I wouldn't be
> buying it jarred (usually Trader Joe's yellow).

It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too salty and high in sodium. I think it's
terrible, any average curry paste cube is better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dejablues wrote:

> "Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
> news
>> I picked up a jar of Patak's Original curry sauce. Seems to be from the
>> UK. I don't know the brand. Anybody know it? Mundane? Just Okay?
>> Certifiably Good? No, I do not wish to make my own, or I wouldn't be
>> buying it jarred (usually Trader Joe's yellow).

> It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too salty and high in sodium. I think it's
> terrible, any average curry paste cube is better.

deja, meet Pete C. Pete C, deja.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> dejablues wrote:
>

> > "Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
> > news
> >> I picked up a jar of Patak's Original curry sauce. Seems to be from the
> >> UK. I don't know the brand. Anybody know it? Mundane? Just Okay?
> >> Certifiably Good? No, I do not wish to make my own, or I wouldn't be
> >> buying it jarred (usually Trader Joe's yellow).

> > It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too salty and high in sodium. I think it's
> > terrible, any average curry paste cube is better.

> deja, meet Pete C. Pete C, deja.

Um, alrighty. deja may be correct, I haven't tried the "original curry",
only the "spicy tomato cardamom".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>>
>> dejablues wrote:
>>

>> > "Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
>> > news >> >> I picked up a jar of Patak's Original curry sauce. Seems to be from
>> >
>> > It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too salty and high in sodium. I think it's
>> > terrible, any average curry paste cube is better.

>> deja, meet Pete C. Pete C, deja.

> Um, alrighty. deja may be correct, I haven't tried the "original curry",
> only the "spicy tomato cardamom".

Preferences vary anyway. No blood, no foul.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Newman's has NOTHING to do with Italian cooking!

--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com
"Janet Baraclough"
> Patak's jars are to Indian cooking what Newman's spaghetti sauce jars
> are to Italian cooking.
>
> Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > ha scritto nel messaggio
You may know
it as "baba ganoush" (or similar spellings). Googling that term will
bring you a bunch of recipes. It's fun to make, leaves ample room to
express your personal tastes, serves well as a summertime appetizer
before grilled meals. -aem

Baba ganouj in my experience is very different to what is being discussed.
It resembles, but doesn't taste like, chick pea spread.
What is being talked about is based on an Italian side dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 18:31:03 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>Janet Baraclough wrote:
>
>> The message .net> from
>> Blinky the Shark > contains these words:
>>

>>> I espied a jar of "eggplant caviar" at the market today.

>>> What the heck do you do with that?

>> Its a dip (no fish eggs). Spread it on fingers of toast or raw veg.
>>
>>> I picked up a jar of Patak's Original curry sauce. Seems to be from the
>>> UK. I don't know the brand. Anybody know it? Mundane? Just Okay?
>>> Certifiably Good?

>> It's a popular brand sold in nearly every supermarket in the UK.
>> Patak's jars are to Indian cooking what Newman's spaghetti sauce jars are
>> to Italian cooking.

>IOW, nothing special, I trust. I've never knowingly had any Newman stuff,
>I'll grant.

newman's virgin limeade is pretty decent. damned if i know what makes
the limes 'virgin' though.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 09:12:19 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

>> Patak's jars are to Indian cooking what Newman's spaghetti sauce jars
>> are to Italian cooking.

>> Janet

>Newman's has NOTHING to do with Italian cooking!

i'm thinking that was janet's implication.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> Newman's has NOTHING to do with Italian cooking!

You think?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 12:01:21 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:

> I espied a jar of "eggplant caviar" at the market today.
>
> What the heck do you do with that?

Eggplant caviar? I'd heard of snail caviar, but this was a new one on me.
However, after doing some googling, I'll pass.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 17:36:16 +0000, blake murphy wrote:

> newman's virgin limeade is pretty decent. damned if i know what makes
> the limes 'virgin' though.

I'll hazard a guess: they've only been plucked once?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 09:12:19 +0200, "Giusi" > wrote:
>
>>> Patak's jars are to Indian cooking what Newman's spaghetti sauce jars
>>> are to Italian cooking.

>>> Janet

>>Newman's has NOTHING to do with Italian cooking!

> i'm thinking that was janet's implication.

That was certainly my inferrence, at least.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 18:31:03 -0700, Blinky the Shark >
> wrote:
>
>>Janet Baraclough wrote:
>>
>>> The message .net>
>>> from Blinky the Shark > contains these words:

>>> Its a dip (no fish eggs). Spread it on fingers of toast or raw veg.

>>> It's a popular brand sold in nearly every supermarket in the UK.
>>> Patak's jars are to Indian cooking what Newman's spaghetti sauce jars
>>> are to Italian cooking.

>>IOW, nothing special, I trust. I've never knowingly had any Newman
>>stuff, I'll grant.

> newman's virgin limeade is pretty decent. damned if i know what makes the
> limes 'virgin' though.

Indeed. I mean, have you ever seen a lime with a cherry?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 17:36:16 +0000, blake murphy wrote:
>

>> newman's virgin limeade is pretty decent. damned if i know what makes
>> the limes 'virgin' though.

> I'll hazard a guess: they've only been plucked once?

Roses are red
And ready for plucking;
Girls out of high school
Are ready for college.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 12:01:21 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:
>

>> I espied a jar of "eggplant caviar" at the market today.
>>
>> What the heck do you do with that?

> Eggplant caviar? I'd heard of snail caviar, but this was a new one on me.
> However, after doing some googling, I'll pass.

Yeah, it was a new one on me, too.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 17:36:16 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 18:31:03 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:
>
>>Janet Baraclough wrote:
>>
>>> The message .net> from
>>> Blinky the Shark > contains these words:

>>> Its a dip (no fish eggs). Spread it on fingers of toast or raw veg.

>>> It's a popular brand sold in nearly every supermarket in the UK.
>>> Patak's jars are to Indian cooking what Newman's spaghetti sauce jars are
>>> to Italian cooking.

>>IOW, nothing special, I trust. I've never knowingly had any Newman stuff,
>>I'll grant.

>newman's virgin limeade is pretty decent. damned if i know what makes
>the limes 'virgin' though.
>
>your pal,
>blake

Virgin limeade comes from ugly limes. ;-)

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 6/1
"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> I picked up a jar of Patak's Original curry sauce. Seems to be from the
> UK. I don't know the brand. Anybody know it? Mundane? Just Okay?
> Certifiably Good? No, I do not wish to make my own, or I wouldn't be
> buying it jarred (usually Trader Joe's yellow).

Thanks for all of the responses to this. I just got around to using some,
and it was, IMO, quite pleasant.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy > wrote:

> i would imagine home-made is better than the stuff in a jar.

of course. I posted a recipe three weeks ago, in the
"Eggplant/aubergine/mellanzane question" thread.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 16:11:08 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>ChattyCathy wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 12:01:21 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:
>>

>>> I espied a jar of "eggplant caviar" at the market today.
>>>
>>> What the heck do you do with that?

>> Eggplant caviar? I'd heard of snail caviar, but this was a new one on me.
>> However, after doing some googling, I'll pass.

>Yeah, it was a new one on me, too.

i would imagine home-made is better than the stuff in a jar.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 16:09:57 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 18:31:03 -0700, Blinky the Shark >
>> wrote:

>>>IOW, nothing special, I trust. I've never knowingly had any Newman
>>>stuff, I'll grant.

>> newman's virgin limeade is pretty decent. damned if i know what makes the
>> limes 'virgin' though.

>Indeed. I mean, have you ever seen a lime with a cherry?

if not newman's, someone else has cherry limeade. make of that what
you will.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 16:11:08 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> > wrote:
>
>>ChattyCathy wrote:

>>> Eggplant caviar? I'd heard of snail caviar, but this was a new one on
>>> me.
>>> However, after doing some googling, I'll pass.

>>Yeah, it was a new one on me, too.

> i would imagine home-made is better than the stuff in a jar.

How do they get the eggplants to lay little tiny eggs?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 23:21:40 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 16:11:08 -0700, Blinky the Shark
>> > wrote:

>>>Yeah, it was a new one on me, too.

>> i would imagine home-made is better than the stuff in a jar.
>>

>How do they get the eggplants to lay little tiny eggs?

lots of wine and sweet-talk.

your pal,
blake

Vegetarian Thai Red Curry with Eggplant Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 22-09-2006 03:02 AM
Eggplant Curry (4) Collection Patricia Hill Recipes (moderated) 0 24-08-2006 03:34 AM
Sri Lankan Eggplant Curry TJ Recipes (moderated) 0 01-04-2006 05:25 PM
Eggplant caviar Taemon Vegan 9 14-11-2005 04:27 PM
EGGPLANT CAVIAR Nancree General Cooking 0 31-03-2004 10:49 PM