Posted to alt.food.vegan
Taemon

Default Eggplant caviar

It seems that some people here have a liking for eggplant. How could
it be otherwise? Today a luxurious treat with our favourite purple
vegetable.

T.

Eggplant Caviar with Pita Chips

Eggplant caviar:
1 large eggplant (1 pound)
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon drained capers, chopped
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 shallot, chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Pita chips:
Two 6-inch whole wheat pita breads
Vegetable spray or olive oil
1 tablespoon sesame seeds

To prepare the eggplant, preheat the oven to 350 F. Pierce the
eggplant in several places with a fork and place in a shallow baking
dish. Roast, uncovered, for about 1 hour, or until very soft. Quarter
the eggplant lengthwise and, when cool enough to handle, scrape out
the
pulp.
(Leave the oven on.)

In a blender or food processor, pulse the eggplant pulp with the
parsley, capers, vinegar, oil, garlic, shallot, curnin, and pepper
until just chopped. Transfer to a serving bowl.

To make the pita chips, lightly spray a baking sheet with vegetable
oil spray. Using kitchen scissors or a sharp knife, cut around the
edges of the pita breads and gently separate each one into two rounds.
Brush both sides of the pita rounds lightly with the olive oil and cut
each round into 10 or 12 triangles. Place on the prepared baking sheet
and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.

Bake for 10 minutes. Using a metal spatula, loosen any chips that are
sticking to the baking sheet, turn the chips over, and bake for about
5 minutes longer, or until the chips are crisp and golden.

Arrange the chips around the eggplant caviar and serve.

Posted to alt.food.vegan
usual suspect

Taemon wrote:
> It seems that some people here have a liking for eggplant. How could
> it be otherwise? Today a luxurious treat with our favourite purple
> vegetable.

It's a *fruit*, not a vegetable.

egg·plant (ĕg'plănt') pronunciation
n.

1.
a. An Indian plant (Solanum melongena var. esculenta)
cultivated for its large edible, ovoid, glossy, usually purple-skinned
*fruit*.
b. *The fruit of this plant*. Also called aubergine, melongene.

http://www.answers.com/topic/eggplant

Maturity Indices

*Eggplant fruit* are harvested at a range of developmental stages.
Depending on cultivar and temperature, the time from flowering to
harvest may be 10 to 40 days. Generally *fruit* are harvested immature
before seeds begin to significantly enlarge and harden. Firmness and
external glossiness are also indicators of a pre-maturity condition.
*Eggplant fruit* become pithy and bitter as they reach an overmature
condition.

http://rics.ucdavis.edu/postharvest2...eggplant.shtml
See also:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...vegdefine.html
Posted to alt.food.vegan
Joe

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 17:38:56 GMT, usual suspect >
wrote:

>It's a *fruit*, not a vegetable.

Yes and no... like tomatoes.
http://www.solutions.uiuc.edu/conten...Parents=0%7C67
http://mosquito.homeip.net/drupal/node/view/110

Posted to alt.food.vegan
usual suspect

Joe wrote:
>>It's a *fruit*, not a vegetable.

> Yes and no... like tomatoes.

Wrong, both are fruit.

> http://www.solutions.uiuc.edu/conten...Parents=0%7C67

Botanically speaking, the tomato you eat is a *fruit*. So is a
watermelon, green pepper, *eggplant*, cucumber, and squash. A
"fruit" is any fleshy material covering a seed or seeds.

That site goes on to say that the tomato is vegetable PLANT because "the
plant is an annual and nonwoody." The round things with the seeds in
them that grow on tomato plants, though, are fruits. Just like you are.

The Supreme Court's 1893 ruling isn't botanical, it was a protectionist
measure and applies ONLY to tomatoes. That ruling doesn't change the
fact that a tomato (or an eggplant) is a fruit.

> http://mosquito.homeip.net/drupal/node/view/110

Who the hell is Owen Cheng and why do you consider his BLOG
authoritative on this issue? At least he gets it right even if you don't:

Or you can say, generally a fruit is the edible part of the
plant that contains the seeds. So your eggplant, tomato,
cucumber and zucchini are fruits.

Did you bother reading any of this before bothering me with your inane
bullshit?
Posted to alt.food.vegan
Joe

Clearly you needed enlightening before you made your botanical
clarification.

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 22:31:29 GMT, usual suspect >
wrote:

>Joe wrote:
>>>It's a *fruit*, not a vegetable.

>> Yes and no... like tomatoes.

>Wrong, both are fruit.
>
>> http://www.solutions.uiuc.edu/conten...Parents=0%7C67

> Botanically speaking, the tomato you eat is a *fruit*. So is a
> watermelon, green pepper, *eggplant*, cucumber, and squash. A
> "fruit" is any fleshy material covering a seed or seeds.
>
>That site goes on to say that the tomato is vegetable PLANT because "the
>plant is an annual and nonwoody." The round things with the seeds in
>them that grow on tomato plants, though, are fruits. Just like you are.
>
>The Supreme Court's 1893 ruling isn't botanical, it was a protectionist
>measure and applies ONLY to tomatoes. That ruling doesn't change the
>fact that a tomato (or an eggplant) is a fruit.
>
>> http://mosquito.homeip.net/drupal/node/view/110

>Who the hell is Owen Cheng and why do you consider his BLOG
>authoritative on this issue? At least he gets it right even if you don't:
>
> Or you can say, generally a fruit is the edible part of the
> plant that contains the seeds. So your eggplant, tomato,
> cucumber and zucchini are fruits.
>
>Did you bother reading any of this before bothering me with your inane
>bullshit?

Posted to alt.food.vegan
Joe

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 22:31:29 GMT, usual suspect >
wrote:

.... blah blah, cuss cuss... blah blah.......

>Did you bother reading any of this before bothering me with your inane
>bullshit?

What a stupid question.....especially coming from you. What do you
think? I hired someone to look up the link and email it to me to post
unread. Once in a while apply those colouful descriptions of dopeyness
you use for others to yourself.

Posted to alt.food.vegan
usual suspect

Joe wrote:
> Clearly

You are an ass. The purple-skinned part of an eggplant is a fruit. Just
like you are.

>>>Yes and no... like tomatoes.

>>Wrong, both are fruit.
>>

>>>http://www.solutions.uiuc.edu/conten...Parents=0%7C67

>> Botanically speaking, the tomato you eat is a *fruit*. So is a
>> watermelon, green pepper, *eggplant*, cucumber, and squash. A
>> "fruit" is any fleshy material covering a seed or seeds.
>>
>>That site goes on to say that the tomato is vegetable PLANT because "the
>>plant is an annual and nonwoody." The round things with the seeds in
>>them that grow on tomato plants, though, are fruits. Just like you are.
>>
>>The Supreme Court's 1893 ruling isn't botanical, it was a protectionist
>>measure and applies ONLY to tomatoes. That ruling doesn't change the
>>fact that a tomato (or an eggplant) is a fruit.
>>

>>>http://mosquito.homeip.net/drupal/node/view/110

>>Who the hell is Owen Cheng and why do you consider his BLOG
>>authoritative on this issue? At least he gets it right even if you don't:
>>
>> Or you can say, generally a fruit is the edible part of the
>> plant that contains the seeds. So your eggplant, tomato,
>> cucumber and zucchini are fruits.
>>
>>Did you bother reading any of this before bothering me with your inane
>>bullshit?

Posted to alt.food.vegan
usual suspect

Joe wrote:
> ... blah blah, cuss cuss... blah blah.......
>

>>Did you bother reading any of this before bothering me with your inane
>>bullshit?

> What a stupid question

It was required because the points you tried to make had nothing to do
with what was conveyed in the links you offered. Both links support what
I wrote, dumb ass. They did not support what you offered.

RESTORE FULL POST:

Joe wrote:

>> It's a *fruit*, not a vegetable.

> Yes and no... like tomatoes.

Wrong, both are fruit.

http://www.solutions.uiuc.edu/conten...Parents=0%7C67

Botanically speaking, the tomato you eat is a *fruit*. So is a
watermelon, green pepper, *eggplant*, cucumber, and squash. A
"fruit" is any fleshy material covering a seed or seeds.

That site goes on to say that the tomato is vegetable PLANT because "the
plant is an annual and nonwoody." The round things with the seeds in
them that grow on tomato plants, though, are fruits. Just like you are.

The Supreme Court's 1893 ruling isn't botanical, it was a protectionist
measure and applies ONLY to tomatoes. That ruling doesn't change the
fact that a tomato (or an eggplant) is a fruit.

> http://mosquito.homeip.net/drupal/node/view/110

Who the hell is Owen Cheng and why do you consider his BLOG
authoritative on this issue? At least he gets it right even if you don't:

Or you can say, generally a fruit is the edible part of the
plant that contains the seeds. So your eggplant, tomato,
cucumber and zucchini are fruits.

Did you bother reading any of this before bothering me with your inane
bullshit?
Posted to alt.food.vegan
Joe

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:53:45 GMT, usual suspect >
wrote:

>Joe wrote:
>> Clearly

>You are an ass. The purple-skinned part of an eggplant is a fruit. Just
>like you are.

>>>Wrong, both are fruit.

You dope- Probably an eggplant has a higher IQ than you! Did YOU read
what was in the links and try to hazard a guess at what 'Yes' and 'No'
meant?
Yes - they are fruit from a botanical viewpoint. Sweet geezus did I
need further commentary for you not to 'get it' if you in fact did
read the links studiously.
No - they aren't only known as fruit [ as you smugly initially tried
to imply]..... from a H O R T I C U L T U R A L viewpoint.

People like you Suspect, make life so complicated being a fruit
wouldn't seem a bad alternative to trying to wonder where you're
coming from.

Posted to alt.food.vegan
usual suspect

Joe wrote:
>>>Clearly

>>You are an ass. The purple-skinned part of an eggplant is a fruit. Just
>>like you are.

> You dope-

You're the one who's hopelessly confused over the subject, dummy.

> Did YOU read

I did. That's why I pointed out your errors in suggesting your links
convey the same thing you tried to in your reply (which, out of
embarrassment, you snipped).

RESTORE FULL POST:

Joe wrote:

>> It's a *fruit*, not a vegetable.

> Yes and no... like tomatoes.

Wrong, both are fruit.

http://www.solutions.uiuc.edu/conten...Parents=0%7C67

Botanically speaking, the tomato you eat is a *fruit*. So is a
watermelon, green pepper, *eggplant*, cucumber, and squash. A
"fruit" is any fleshy material covering a seed or seeds.

That site goes on to say that the tomato is vegetable PLANT because "the
plant is an annual and nonwoody." The round things with the seeds in
them that grow on tomato plants, though, are fruits. Just like you are.

The Supreme Court's 1893 ruling isn't botanical, it was a protectionist
measure and applies ONLY to tomatoes. That ruling doesn't change the
fact that a tomato (or an eggplant) is a fruit.

> http://mosquito.homeip.net/drupal/node/view/110

Who the hell is Owen Cheng and why do you consider his BLOG
authoritative on this issue? At least he gets it right even if you don't:

Or you can say, generally a fruit is the edible part of the
plant that contains the seeds. So your eggplant, tomato,
cucumber and zucchini are fruits.

Did you bother reading any of this before bothering me with your inane
bullshit?

END RESTORE

> People like you Suspect, make life so complicated

Quite the contrary, I'm pretty good at cutting through bullshit to
uncomplicate things. Don't blame me for your muddled thinking. Blame
yourself for your obstinantly refusing correction (even after you've
already written that you concur with me, ****).

> being a fruit wouldn't seem a bad alternative

Well you should know.