Posted to rec.food.cooking
Adam Funk[_2_] Adam Funk[_2_] is offline

Default Eggplant Caviar and Patak Curry

On 2008-06-05, Blinky the Shark wrote:

> I espied a jar of "eggplant caviar" at the market today.
>
> What the heck do you do with that?

Put it on crackers, I guess. ;-)

I've occasionally tried "vegetarian caviar" which was made from
seaweed, formed into 2 mm balls, and sold in caviar jars (i.e., small
jars like the ones that cheap fishy caviar comes in). It wasn't bad,
and I'd be happy to try "eggplant caviar" at least once. (On the
other hand, I will try almost any seafood *once*, provided it's dead.
YMMV. I haven't tried the cod liver in its own oil [1] yet. HTH.
HAND. BBQ. WTF.)

[1]
http://www.newsfroup.net/schelvislever/

> I picked up a jar of Patak's Original curry sauce. Seems to be from the
> UK. I don't know the brand. Anybody know it? Mundane? Just Okay?
> Certifiably Good? No, I do not wish to make my own, or I wouldn't be
> buying it jarred (usually Trader Joe's yellow).

Patak's products are sold (as well as made) in the UK, even in my
semi-local Pakistani grocery. AFAICT, they're pretty good, although I
prefer Fern's (made in India) pickles (especially the brinjal
(aubergine, i.e., eggplant again), which is much less sweet than other
brands of brinjal pickle, e.g., Patak's). But I'll eat Patak's
brinjal pickle when the shop is out of Fern's.