Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Carl's Jr.

Ophelia wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> As common as that bit of fishing is on Usenet, and having just caught
>> two fish (so far) here with it after all the years it's been around, I'm
>> beginning to wonder if the average r.c.f denizen doesn't get *outside*
>> r.c.f very often.

> On the contrary dear boy! Some of us spend so much time out of here, that
> we don't recognise this type of fishing

And that makes things fun, too.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> It most certainly is!
>>>
>>> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gullible

>> Why, thank you. Now think about this experience and spit the hook.

> <G> Thwap!

Thanks for having fun with this with me (and most of the rest) and not
acting like a prat about it.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:23:04 -0800, Blinky the Shark >
> wrote:
>
>>l, not -l wrote:

>>> That would certainly be a good cover story, should one be caught making
>>> a bone-headed assertion ;-)

>>Actually, fishing for the gullible (or at least those with their guard
>>down) by saying that "gullible" isn't in the dictionary has been a Usenet
>>staple for decades. Perhaps you haven't been around Usenet very long, if
>>this is the first time you've observed it -- which would seem to be the
>>case.

> with all due respect, blinky, it was pretty tired even when it first
> appeared.

On the other hand, it still works.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:

> On 21-Jan-2008, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> > Perhaps the reason I haven't seen it (or don't recall seeing it) is, I
>> > simply read message from a better class of NNTP users over the years -
>> > those with constructive things to contribute. NO, wait, that can't
>> > be it
>> > - I just read the first post Google has for me. It was in a thread
>> > whose
>> > subject was Sky King and was a discussion of old TV shows - there was
>> > just
>> > as much off-topic discussion then as now; probably not as mean though.

>> So I take it you're *offended* by this kind of horseplay?

> You are certainly free to take it anyway you like; however, you have
> missed the point if that is what you got from my post. My point was, I
> am not a newbie, I have been on usenet a long time, and I have
> participated my share of off-topic conversations, but I've not seen much
> "horseplay", as you call it - off-topic conversations, yes; spam, yes;
> obvious trolling, yes. If you think I was offended, perhaps you missed
> the tongue-in-cheek manner intended for the first sentence; "NO, wait,
> that can't be..." was intended to signal that what preceeded was not
> completely serious.

I've pretty much interpreted your responses here - especially the one
about something like "lower-class posters" - as whiny responses to having
fallen for the setup instead of simply having a laugh like the others and
moving on.

> In the year or so prior to 1996, I used usenet at work, for very
> specific work reasons, in technical newgroups where I never saw
> "horseplay" or spam, and seldom saw off-topic conversations - just
> people exchanging work-related information in a serious and sober
> manner. When I later (1996 onward) begain personal use, I mostly used
> the Pen&Pencils group and the food/drink/baking related groups; most of
> which have been relatively lacking in "horseplay"; certainly there has
> been grouchy/foul-mouthed respondents offered valuable info in their
> "quaint" manner, trolling idiots come-and-go, killfiles take care of the
> lunatics (MI5, etc), SPAM shows up but with somewhat tolerable frequency
> when managed with good filtering, vicious attacks on individuals has
> certainly increased, but "horseplay" - not so much (or, I didn't
> recognize it as such).

I hope you're not as stiff and humorless in real life as you are here.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
news
> Ophelia wrote:
>
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> Why, thank you. Now think about this experience and spit the hook.

>> <G> Thwap!

> Thanks for having fun with this with me (and most of the rest) and not
> acting like a prat about it.
>
> --
> Blinky

I hope I passed your test of not being pratty. ;-)))
Awaiting your answer,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:

> "Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
> news

>>> <G> Thwap!

>> Thanks for having fun with this with me (and most of the rest) and not
>> acting like a prat about it.

> I hope I passed your test of not being pratty. ;-))) Awaiting your
> answer,

You did not even make my needle quiver. The one on my prattmeter, I mean.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:

> On 22-Jan-2008, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> > completely serious.

>> I've pretty much interpreted your responses here - especially the one
>> about something like "lower-class posters" - as whiny responses to
>> having fallen for the setup instead of simply having a laugh like the
>> others and moving on.

> You missed the point; I was whining about the implication of being a
> newbie, not about falling for the "horseplay"

Oh. Well, good.

Well, I just didn't know now someone could've been around Usenet for very
long without seeing the gullible ploy used in fun.

>> I hope you're not as stiff and humorless in real life as you are
>> here.

> I visit the groups primarily for information exchange, not a social
> life; in real life, I am many things that I am not here.

Like social? Like enjoying yourself rather than just mining and
distributing hard facts?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
news
> You did not even make my needle quiver. The one on my prattmeter, I mean.
>

> --
> Blinky

OB:OT: I go goofy hearing the word, Pratt.

I used to live in Wichita, KS in the mid-50's. To get to this town I was
driving to, one drives due straight west for approx 80 miles thru/to a town
called Pratt, KS. Pratt was/is at the cross-roads of where I was headed;
actually nothing between.

At/in the town of Pratt there was a restaurant that one always stopped and
had a refreshment - it was called "It's the Lemon Pie." I'm still shaking
my head over that one.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:

> "Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
> news
>> You did not even make my needle quiver. The one on my prattmeter, I
>> mean.

> OB:OT: I go goofy hearing the word, Pratt.

My paternal grandmother's maiden name was Pratt.

> I used to live in Wichita, KS in the mid-50's. To get to this town I was
> driving to, one drives due straight west for approx 80 miles thru/to a
> town called Pratt, KS. Pratt was/is at the cross-roads of where I was
> headed; actually nothing between.
>
> At/in the town of Pratt there was a restaurant that one always stopped and
> had a refreshment - it was called "It's the Lemon Pie." I'm still shaking
> my head over that one.

Was it good? Or was it simply the only place to stop for miles around?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:

> On 22-Jan-2008, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> > I visit the groups primarily for information exchange, not a social
>> > life; in real life, I am many things that I am not here.

>> Like social? Like enjoying yourself rather than just mining and
>> distributing hard facts?

> yes. yes.

Well, good.

Now continue not enjoying yourself in here, and I'll see you now and then
if I stumble into a joyless thread. Regards.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
news
> Dee.Dee wrote:
>>

> Was it good? Or was it simply the only place to stop for miles around?
>
> --
> Blinky

Nothing special at all. It was the only place. You would see the big
billboards for miles ahead :-))

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:

> "Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
> news
>> Dee.Dee wrote:
>>>

>> Was it good? Or was it simply the only place to stop for miles around?
>>
>> --
>> Blinky

> Nothing special at all. It was the only place. You would see the big
> billboards for miles ahead :-))

Countdown billboards?

| |
| ONLY 183 MILES to |
| THE FEEDBAG RESTAURANT in PODUNK! |
| |

Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
news
> Dee.Dee wrote:
>

>> "Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> Dee.Dee wrote:
>>>>
>>> Was it good? Or was it simply the only place to stop for miles around?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Blinky

>> Nothing special at all. It was the only place. You would see the big
>> billboards for miles ahead :-))

> Countdown billboards?
>
> +-----------------------------------------+
> | |
> | ONLY 183 MILES to |
> | THE FEEDBAG RESTAURANT in PODUNK! |
> | |
> +-----------------------------------------+

> --
> Blinky

You got me a-thinkin'. I don't know if they had those "so many miles to..."
signs then. Eisenhower started the freeway system abt 1956, so I don't
think the freeways were in Kansas then. People weren't in such a hurry then
to get to the next stop (basically because there weren't many -- ;-))) I
do remember the Burma Shave signs still being there. That was about the
only entertainment. I had a Volvo bug and it was so damned noisy, the radio
was worthless (if I had one, I don't remember.)

Geez, looking back at that decade makes me depressed. Enough said! I'm
outta here.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 22 Jan 2008 09:44:54p, Dee.Dee told us...

> "Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
> news
>> Dee.Dee wrote:

>>> Nothing special at all. It was the only place. You would see the big
>>> billboards for miles ahead :-))

>> Countdown billboards?
>>
>> +-----------------------------------------+
>> | |
>> | ONLY 183 MILES to |
>> | THE FEEDBAG RESTAURANT in PODUNK! |
>> | |
>> | +-----------------------------------------
>> | +

>> --
>> Blinky

> You got me a-thinkin'. I don't know if they had those "so many miles
> to..." signs then. Eisenhower started the freeway system abt 1956, so I
> don't think the freeways were in Kansas then. People weren't in such a
> hurry then to get to the next stop (basically because there weren't many
> -- ;-))) I do remember the Burma Shave signs still being there. That
> was about the only entertainment. I had a Volvo bug and it was so
> damned noisy, the radio was worthless (if I had one, I don't remember.)
>
> Geez, looking back at that decade makes me depressed. Enough said! I'm
> outta here.
> Dee Dee

Stuckey's used to have "Only --- miles to Stuckey's" on local small
highways.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 01(I)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Reason bagpipes have bags: to keep the
cat from escaping.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...
> On Tue 22 Jan 2008 09:44:54p, Dee.Dee told us...
>

>> "Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Countdown billboards?
>>>
>>> +-----------------------------------------+
>>> | |
>>> | ONLY 183 MILES to |
>>> | THE FEEDBAG RESTAURANT in PODUNK! |
>>> | |

>>> --
>>> Blinky

>> You got me a-thinkin'. I don't know if they had those "so many miles
>> to..." signs then. Eisenhower started the freeway system abt 1956, so I
>> don't think the freeways were in Kansas then. People weren't in such a
>> hurry then to get to the next stop (basically because there weren't many
>> -- ;-))) I do remember the Burma Shave signs still being there. That
>> was about the only entertainment. I had a Volvo bug and it was so
>> damned noisy, the radio was worthless (if I had one, I don't remember.)
>>
>> Geez, looking back at that decade makes me depressed. Enough said! I'm
>> outta here.
>> Dee Dee

> Stuckey's used to have "Only --- miles to Stuckey's" on local small
> highways.
>

> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Interesting, I've only seen Stuckey's (on the highway exits) when I moved
here to VA in 1993 - never heard of them before. But within 5 years, I
believe they were all closed down.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...

> Stuckey's used to have "Only --- miles to Stuckey's" on local small
> highways.

I loved Stuckey's as a kid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:

> "Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
> news
>> Dee.Dee wrote:

>>> Nothing special at all. It was the only place. You would see the big
>>> billboards for miles ahead :-))

>> Countdown billboards?

> You got me a-thinkin'. I don't know if they had those "so many miles
> to..." signs then. Eisenhower started the freeway system abt 1956, so I
> don't think the freeways were in Kansas then. People weren't in such a

Those signs were a staple on the state highways; they didn't require
freeways and predated them.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Tue 22 Jan 2008 09:44:54p, Dee.Dee told us...
>

>> "Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Countdown billboards?

>> You got me a-thinkin'. I don't know if they had those "so many miles
>> to..." signs then. Eisenhower started the freeway system abt 1956, so I
>> don't think the freeways were in Kansas then. People weren't in such a
>> hurry then to get to the next stop (basically because there weren't many
>> -- ;-))) I do remember the Burma Shave signs still being there. That
>> was about the only entertainment. I had a Volvo bug and it was so
>> damned noisy, the radio was worthless (if I had one, I don't remember.)
>>
>> Geez, looking back at that decade makes me depressed. Enough said! I'm
>> outta here.
>> Dee Dee

> Stuckey's used to have "Only --- miles to Stuckey's" on local small
> highways.

They definitely predated freeways. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've seen
them in photos from the '40s and even '30s.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 22 Jan 2008 09:58:06p, Dee.Dee told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...
>> On Tue 22 Jan 2008 09:44:54p, Dee.Dee told us...

>>> You got me a-thinkin'. I don't know if they had those "so many miles
>>> to..." signs then. Eisenhower started the freeway system abt 1956, so

>>> don't think the freeways were in Kansas then. People weren't in such a
>>> hurry then to get to the next stop (basically because there weren't

many
>>> -- ;-))) I do remember the Burma Shave signs still being there. That
>>> was about the only entertainment. I had a Volvo bug and it was so
>>> damned noisy, the radio was worthless (if I had one, I don't remember.)
>>>
>>> Geez, looking back at that decade makes me depressed. Enough said!

I'm
>>> outta here.
>>> Dee Dee

>> Stuckey's used to have "Only --- miles to Stuckey's" on local small
>> highways.
>>

>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Interesting, I've only seen Stuckey's (on the highway exits) when I moved
> here to VA in 1993 - never heard of them before. But within 5 years, I
> believe they were all closed down.
>
> Dee Dee

They're still around, since the 1930s.

http://www.stuckeys.com/search.php

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
You know that little indestructible
black box that is used on planes? Why
can't they make the whole plane out of
the same substance?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 22 Jan 2008 11:55:11p, Julie Bove told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...
>
>> Stuckey's used to have "Only --- miles to Stuckey's" on local small
>> highways.

> I loved Stuckey's as a kid.

Me, too!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
You know that little indestructible
black box that is used on planes? Why
can't they make the whole plane out of
the same substance?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 23 Jan 2008 12:39:41a, Blinky the Shark told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Tue 22 Jan 2008 09:44:54p, Dee.Dee told us...

>>> You got me a-thinkin'. I don't know if they had those "so many miles
>>> to..." signs then. Eisenhower started the freeway system abt 1956, so

>>> don't think the freeways were in Kansas then. People weren't in such a
>>> hurry then to get to the next stop (basically because there weren't

many
>>> -- ;-))) I do remember the Burma Shave signs still being there. That
>>> was about the only entertainment. I had a Volvo bug and it was so
>>> damned noisy, the radio was worthless (if I had one, I don't remember.)
>>>
>>> Geez, looking back at that decade makes me depressed. Enough said!

I'm
>>> outta here.
>>> Dee Dee

>> Stuckey's used to have "Only --- miles to Stuckey's" on local small
>> highways.

> They definitely predated freeways. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've seen
> them in photos from the '40s and even '30s.

You're absolutely right.

Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
You know that little indestructible
black box that is used on planes? Why
can't they make the whole plane out of
the same substance?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message >>>
>>> Stuckey's used to have "Only --- miles to Stuckey's" on local small
>>> highways.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright

>> Interesting, I've only seen Stuckey's (on the highway exits) when I moved
>> here to VA in 1993 - never heard of them before. But within 5 years, I
>> believe they were all closed down.
>>
>> Dee Dee
>>

> They're still around, since the 1930s.
>
> http://www.stuckeys.com/search.php
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Incredible. No Stuckey's close to me except one, where we buy gas at the
truckstop exit where we get onto/off the freeway; our own exit! ...
shaking my head in wonderment ....
Stuckey's at Wilco Hess Travel Plaza of Toms Brook
I don't ever recall seeing that name or on the cc's.
Thanks, Wayne for the info.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
news
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Tue 22 Jan 2008 09:44:54p, Dee.Dee told us...

>>> You got me a-thinkin'. I don't know if they had those "so many miles
>>> to..." signs then. Eisenhower started the freeway system abt 1956, so I
>>> don't think the freeways were in Kansas then. People weren't in such a
>>> hurry then to get to the next stop (basically because there weren't many
>>> -- ;-))) I do remember the Burma Shave signs still being there. That
>>> was about the only entertainment. I had a Volvo bug and it was so
>>> damned noisy, the radio was worthless (if I had one, I don't remember.)
>>>
>>> Geez, looking back at that decade makes me depressed. Enough said! I'm
>>> outta here.
>>> Dee Dee

>> Stuckey's used to have "Only --- miles to Stuckey's" on local small
>> highways.

> They definitely predated freeways. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've seen
> them in photos from the '40s and even '30s.
>
> --
> Blinky

Yep, it's everything we need to know ... you gotta love it!
LOL.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:12:58 GMT, blake murphy >
wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:01:50 GMT, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:58:28 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Hey, Blinky, you seem know all the in-outs of Usenet, how long does it take
>>>to larn them? Did you have to stay "inside" a long time?

>>LOLOL. I've been reading and posting to usenet since the mid 90's and
>>still haven't learned enough to stay away. <g>
>>
>>Lou

>as far as free entertainment goes, it's better than television.

I multi-task. I've got a tv in eyesight of my computer. Usually I
have the local cable news on. It's a toss-up if usenet or Chicago (or
any) news is more of a freak show. When I want to relax and watch
real tv I go to the living room or lay in bed.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 23 Jan 2008 06:35:10a, Dee.Dee told us...

>>> Interesting, I've only seen Stuckey's (on the highway exits) when I

moved
>>> here to VA in 1993 - never heard of them before. But within 5 years, I
>>> believe they were all closed down.
>>>
>>> Dee Dee
>>>

>> They're still around, since the 1930s.
>>
>> http://www.stuckeys.com/search.php
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Incredible. No Stuckey's close to me except one, where we buy gas at the
> truckstop exit where we get onto/off the freeway; our own exit! ...
> shaking my head in wonderment ....
> Stuckey's at Wilco Hess Travel Plaza of Toms Brook
> I don't ever recall seeing that name or on the cc's.
> Thanks, Wayne for the info.
> Dee Dee

You're welcome!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
Never trust a smiling cat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:12:58 GMT, blake murphy >
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:01:50 GMT, Lou Decruss > wrote:

>>>LOLOL. I've been reading and posting to usenet since the mid 90's and
>>>still haven't learned enough to stay away. <g>
>>>
>>>Lou

>>as far as free entertainment goes, it's better than television.

> I multi-task. I've got a tv in eyesight of my computer. Usually I
> have the local cable news on. It's a toss-up if usenet or Chicago (or
> any) news is more of a freak show. When I want to relax and watch
> real tv I go to the living room or lay in bed.
>
> Lou

Multi-tasker here. Right now: there's streaming radio and slingbox on (TV
received onto my computer screen.) If it's something I'm really interested
in, I'll turn on a separate radio; TV is really not that interesting. When
I'm in the kitchen, I'll put on a food network channel or something of the
sort. I NEVER watch local D.C. news. Those same inepts have been on there
at least 15 years spouting off their opinions about the snow-fall and crime.

Like you, if I want to watch a DVD, I go to the big screen. Although I have
been watching in bits and pieces on my 20" computer screen, a DVD, History
of Britain (5 hours), when I'm doing some computer filing chores or
googling.

I've been wondering why the quality of the foodnetwork shows that I've
recorded are all washed out and yellowish, whereas other channels that I've
recorded are just fine on the computer screen. When I put the DVD into a
regular TV, I don't notice as big a descrepancy, but I do notice some.

Nice chatting,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:47:00 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

>On 22-Jan-2008, blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> as far as free entertainment goes, it's better than television.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>Pal, you need cable or DishTV if this is better than what you get on TV.
>Heck, I even get better stuff than this on PBS

i don't know, some usenet groups show even more tits than cable.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 06:55:11 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

>"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
73.184...

>> Stuckey's used to have "Only --- miles to Stuckey's" on local small
>> highways.

>I loved Stuckey's as a kid.

i think that was what the signs were for - to get the kids agitated.
their big thing was pralines, no?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:54:22 -0800, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:23:04 -0800, Blinky the Shark >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Actually, fishing for the gullible (or at least those with their guard
>>>down) by saying that "gullible" isn't in the dictionary has been a Usenet
>>>staple for decades. Perhaps you haven't been around Usenet very long, if
>>>this is the first time you've observed it -- which would seem to be the
>>>case.

>> with all due respect, blinky, it was pretty tired even when it first
>> appeared.

>On the other hand, it still works.

i suppose you can't argue with results. but then again, you get
results by shooting fish in a barrel.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:19:53 GMT, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 14:32:10 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> I haven't left my apartment for 11 years.

>You just said you went to the grocery store and forgot to use
>your bag yesterday!
>
>Oh, wait... what were we talking about again?
>
>-sw

it's a big apartment.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Wed 23 Jan 2008 12:39:41a, Blinky the Shark told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue 22 Jan 2008 09:44:54p, Dee.Dee told us...

> many

> I'm
>>>
>>> Stuckey's used to have "Only --- miles to Stuckey's" on local small
>>> highways.

>> They definitely predated freeways. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've seen
>> them in photos from the '40s and even '30s.
>>

> You're absolutely right.
>
> http://www.stuckeys.com/search.php

Re the countdown signs specifically, I'm curious enough that I emailed
their marketing department (for lack of a general place to ask quesitons)
and asked if they did use them and if so if they did predate the freeways.
I doubt that I'll get an answer; answering won't make them any more money.
But if I do I'll report back.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:54:22 -0800, Blinky the Shark >
> wrote:
>
>>blake murphy wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:23:04 -0800, Blinky the Shark

>>> with all due respect, blinky, it was pretty tired even when it first
>>> appeared.

>>On the other hand, it still works.

> i suppose you can't argue with results. but then again, you get results
> by shooting fish in a barrel.

Sure, but this rarely works any more, so your analogy is reduced to
shooting a tiny number of fish in a gigantic barrel. So it's still a
sporting proposition.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 06:55:11 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. 173.184...

>>> Stuckey's used to have "Only --- miles to Stuckey's" on local small
>>> highways.

>>I loved Stuckey's as a kid.
>>

> i think that was what the signs were for - to get the kids agitated.
> their big thing was pralines, no?
>
> your pal,
> blake

Yes, the kids were probably less agitated 'back then.'

I have a thing for New Orleans pralines, but haven't had one in 20 years --
living on memories.
But I still remember those soft chewey chocolate ones -- I'll bet they had
plenty of corn syrup and would pull a tooth for you if you ate a steady diet
of them.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
news
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> many

>> I'm

>>> They definitely predated freeways. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've seen
>>> them in photos from the '40s and even '30s.
>>>

>> You're absolutely right.
>>
>> http://www.stuckeys.com/search.php

> Re the countdown signs specifically, I'm curious enough that I emailed
> their marketing department (for lack of a general place to ask quesitons)
> and asked if they did use them and if so if they did predate the freeways.
> I doubt that I'll get an answer; answering won't make them any more money.
> But if I do I'll report back.
>

> --
> Blinky

I'm glad you did that. Maybe they'll just give you the answer they think
you want to hear, or do a little dance turn-around and pull the answer out
of their hat. One never knows; you may get hold of someone who is not an
"inbred." ;-)) Oh, I forgot - Stucky's is nation-wide!

I've been doing the same this afternoon -- calling a couple of places to get
an answer about some codes on cherry peppers and roasted peppers -- big
jars.

Next subject:
My freezer is just about cleaned out with the exception of some perhaps
"off" frozen mahi-mahi fillets, some strips of pre-fried bacon and
already-fried hot Italian sausage.

Better get out the cookbooks to get some new ideas -- pretty bored with it
today.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 23 Jan 2008 12:58:45p, blake murphy told us...

> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 06:55:11 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. 173.184...

>>> Stuckey's used to have "Only --- miles to Stuckey's" on local small
>>> highways.

>>I loved Stuckey's as a kid.
>>

> i think that was what the signs were for - to get the kids agitated.
> their big thing was pralines, no?
>
> your pal,
> blake

Pecan Pralines, Pecan Roll, Sugar & Spice Pecans, and a couple I can't
remember.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
I've enjoyed just about as much of
this as I can stand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 23 Jan 2008 02:40:54p, Dee.Dee told us...

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 06:55:11 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.173.184...

>>>I loved Stuckey's as a kid.
>>>

>> i think that was what the signs were for - to get the kids agitated.
>> their big thing was pralines, no?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Yes, the kids were probably less agitated 'back then.'
>
> I have a thing for New Orleans pralines, but haven't had one in 20 years
> -- living on memories.
> But I still remember those soft chewey chocolate ones -- I'll bet they
> had plenty of corn syrup and would pull a tooth for you if you ate a
> steady diet of them.
> Dee Dee

I always preferred the brittle pralines. I have a very old ~1940s New
Orleans cookbook that was written by a woman who headed restaurants at
aseveral of the country clubs in the area. The recipe I use is from that.
Equally sweet to the chewy variety, but different texture altogether.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
I've enjoyed just about as much of
this as I can stand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 23 Jan 2008 02:27:50p, Blinky the Shark told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

so

bug

>>> They definitely predated freeways. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've seen
>>> them in photos from the '40s and even '30s.
>>>

>> You're absolutely right.
>>
>> http://www.stuckeys.com/search.php

> Re the countdown signs specifically, I'm curious enough that I emailed
> their marketing department (for lack of a general place to ask quesitons)
> and asked if they did use them and if so if they did predate the

freeways.
> I doubt that I'll get an answer; answering won't make them any more

money.
> But if I do I'll report back.

I'm not sure I'd call Stucky's signs typical of the usual countdown signs,
as they had only a couple or three ahead of a store, but I do remember
signs with miles on them.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
Oxymoron: Small Crowd.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 20:01:18 GMT, blake murphy wrote:
>
> > i suppose you can't argue with results. but then again, you get
> > results by shooting fish in a barrel.

> Shooting fish in a barrel (assuming it's full of water), is
> really not that easy.

Mythbusters concluded that it was. They didn't shoot any live fish, but
it was easy to hit either models or dead ones. Additionally, they
concluded that the shock waves of bullets hitting would kill fish
whether you hit them or not.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:49:01 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:12:58 GMT, blake murphy >
>> wrote:

>>>as far as free entertainment goes, it's better than television.

>> I multi-task. I've got a tv in eyesight of my computer. Usually I
>> have the local cable news on. It's a toss-up if usenet or Chicago (or
>> any) news is more of a freak show. When I want to relax and watch
>> real tv I go to the living room or lay in bed.
>>
>> Lou

>Multi-tasker here. Right now: there's streaming radio and slingbox on (TV
>received onto my computer screen.) If it's something I'm really interested
>in, I'll turn on a separate radio; TV is really not that interesting.

Ya. Newsgroups like this are just a diversion from whatever else I'm
doing.

> When
>I'm in the kitchen, I'll put on a food network channel or something of the
>sort.

I don't watch FN much. Louise will put it on sometimes. But when I'm
in the kitchen the tube is usually on to something else.

>I NEVER watch local D.C. news.

I'm different I guess. I watch the local news daily. And read the
newspapers too. I like to know what's going on. The local cable news
(CLTV) has some great food stuff on it. Metromix and Reel Chefs are
more entertaining than Food Network. (IMO)

> Those same inepts have been on there
>at least 15 years spouting off their opinions about the snow-fall and crime.

Kinda like the handi-vac threads <eg>

>Like you, if I want to watch a DVD, I go to the big screen.

The big screen in nice, but so is the furniture.

> Although I have
>been watching in bits and pieces on my 20" computer screen, a DVD, History
>of Britain (5 hours), when I'm doing some computer filing chores or
>googling.

Sometimes I'll have movies running in the background. Usually concert
videos. At one time I ran another monitor off my laptop. That was
pretty sweet, but I don't have room on my current desk. XP will
handle up to 8 monitors as long as you have the right video card(s)

>I've been wondering why the quality of the foodnetwork shows that I've
>recorded are all washed out and yellowish, whereas other channels that I've
>recorded are just fine on the computer screen. When I put the DVD into a
>regular TV, I don't notice as big a descrepancy, but I do notice some.

I dunno.

>Nice chatting,

Yes it was Dee Dee. I always enjoy you.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message

> The big screen in nice, but so is the furniture.
>
> Lou

I think so, too. I have a rocker/lounger, but DH sits in one of those all
hard wood old-fashioned straight-back rockers (ethan allen style probably)
without any seat pad or back pad. He will watch a movie in this thing --
it's also a sight-for-sore eyes. He says it fits his style. Knowing him
for 38 years, I know what he means by that. :-)))

Dee Dee

HEY CARL [email protected] Wine 0 26-08-2012 02:47 AM
Where to get Carl's ? ? ? Ray[_7_] Sourdough 2 11-07-2008 11:59 AM
Carl's Starter George Rupp Sourdough 4 11-05-2007 09:45 PM
What's new at Carl's Jr. darkcat General Cooking 0 12-04-2007 08:28 AM
Thanks for everything, Carl, but... Ben Sunshine-Hill Sourdough 23 17-02-2006 06:19 AM