Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Carl's Jr.

MaryMc wrote:

> On 2008-01-21 03:17:27 -0800, Blinky the Shark >
> said:
>
>> Steve Pope wrote:
>>
>>> Even back when I ate fast food, I mostly avoided Carl's Jr. due to
>>> Karcher's rightist politics.

>> Okay, I wouldn't even know about the politics of someone like that. Do
>> you actually research the founders/owners/officers of companies to
>> determine if you will use their products?

> Not a s a rule--but when thery're way out there fo all to see, I do take
> note. Karcher's active support for extreme right-wing causes goes way
> back. He was biggest financial supporter of the Briggs Initiative in
> California, the first anti-*** ballot initiative, back in 1978 (it would
> have fired all *** teachers and public school employees, and anyone who
> put forth the opinion that being *** was an acceptable way to live). He
> was a big supporter of John Schmitz, who was a far-right loony and John
> Birch Society member (and, at the time, the state senator for my
> district in Newport Beach). He gave to the campaign to defeat the Equal
> righta Ammendment, and anti-choice organizations, and oher causes I
> strongly disagreed with.
>
> He had the perfect right to do all that, of course--I just wans't
> willing to give him any of my money to do it with.

As, of course you have the right to do (withhold money). Of every $5 one
spent on a meal at Carl's, I wonder now much of that would've gone into
Karcher's pocket. Are there enough zeros in captivity to pad out that
decimal ($0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000...1) that
far?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> MaryMc > wrote:
>
>> Blinky the Shark > said:

>>> Okay, I wouldn't even know about the politics of someone like that. Do
>>> you actually research the founders/owners/officers of companies to
>>> determine if you will use their products?

>>Not a s a rule--but when thery're way out there fo all to see, I do take
>>note. Karcher's active support for extreme right-wing causes goes way
>>back. He was biggest financial supporter of the Briggs Initiative in
>>California, the first anti-*** ballot initiative, back in 1978 (it would
>>have fired all *** teachers and public school employees, and anyone who
>>put forth the opinion that being *** was an acceptable way to live). He
>>was a big supporter of John Schmitz, who was a far-right loony and John
>>Birch Society member (and, at the time, the state senator for my district
>>in Newport Beach). He gave to the campaign to defeat the Equal rights
>>Ammendment, and anti-choice organizations, and other causes I strongly
>>disagreed with.

> Thanks for filling in the details.
>
> I would have to add that anyone U.S.-based (or at least, in California)
> who hasn't heard about Karcher's politics probably doesn't follow these
> issues to begin with.

I'd offer that most people don't, down to the level of Guys That Own
Burger Joints.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:

>> > Guess it depends on your ditionary; it's in my hardbound Websters
>> > Unabridged
>> > and the Merriam-Webster online;
>> > http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?gullible

>> Maybe he was just fishing to see who was gullible enough to look it up.
>> :-)

> That would certainly be a good cover story, should one be caught making a
> bone-headed assertion ;-)

Actually, fishing for the gullible (or at least those with their guard
down) by saying that "gullible" isn't in the dictionary has been
a Usenet staple for decades. Perhaps you haven't been around Usenet very
long, if this is the first time you've observed it -- which would seem to
be the case.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> "l, not -l" wrote:
>

>> > It's weird that as much as we all think we know the word "gullible"
>> > it's not actually in the dictionaries.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Blinky

>> Guess it depends on your ditionary; it's in my hardbound Websters
>> Unabridged and the Merriam-Webster online;
>> http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?gullible

> Maybe he was just fishing to see who was gullible enough to look it up.
> :-)

It's an old Usenet tradition. This is the first time I've pulled it out
in a long time. Happily, the hook seems to have been fully embedded in a
lip.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:

>> > Guess it depends on your ditionary; it's in my hardbound Websters
>> > Unabridged
>> > and the Merriam-Webster online;
>> > http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?gullible

>> Maybe he was just fishing to see who was gullible enough to look it up.
>> :-)

> That would certainly be a good cover story, should one be caught making
> a bone-headed assertion ;-)

If you Google the phrase "gullible is not in the dictionary" you'll see
about 10,000 hits. That's fishing, pure and simple, as was my own cast.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Sky wrote:

>>> It's a relief to know there are other folks who think they're gullible,
>>> too.
>>>
>>> Sky, who's been caught unaware too many times, too!

>> It's weird that as much as we all think we know the word "gullible" it's
>> not actually in the dictionaries.

> It most certainly is!
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gullible

Why, thank you. Now think about this experience and spit the hook.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 00:18:26 -0800, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>It's weird that as much as we all think we know the word "gullible" it's
>not actually in the dictionaries.

Maybe not in your watery dictionaries, Blinky, but M-W has a
definition for "gullible": easily duped or cheated.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> It's weird that as much as we all think we know the word "gullible"
>>> it's not actually in the dictionaries.

>> It most certainly is!
>>
>> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gullible
>>

> And I don't know anyone gullible enough to think it is not! :-))
> Dee Dee

As common as that bit of fishing is on Usenet, and having just caught two
fish (so far) here with it after all the years it's been around, I'm
beginning to wonder if the average r.c.f denizen doesn't get *outside*
r.c.f very often.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> "Blinky the Shark" > wrote
>> I like their Crispy Chicken Sandwich. About a dollar. Bun, chicken,
>> lettuse and some mayo. Not huge; not "gloopy with sauce". You just have
>> to be familiar with their offerings and menu.
>>

> Sounds like Chick Filet--only $4 cheaper.

As far as my experience goes, it's the best dollar-menu munch in town.

Wait! Spicy Chicken. All this time I've let my own thinko be
perpetuated. It's their -=SPICY=- Chicken Sandwich...not "Crispy". My
very, very bad!

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...
> On Mon 21 Jan 2008 09:13:32a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> It's weird that as much as we all think we know the word "gullible"
>>> it's not actually in the dictionaries.

>> It most certainly is!
>>
>> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gullible
>>

> Is that as in "Gullible's Travels"?
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Perhaps: "Travils of the Gullible"?
Get me off this train wreck!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
news
> Dee.Dee wrote:

>>> It most certainly is!
>>>
>>> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gullible
>>>

>> And I don't know anyone gullible enough to think it is not! :-))
>> Dee Dee

> As common as that bit of fishing is on Usenet, and having just caught two
> fish (so far) here with it after all the years it's been around, I'm
> beginning to wonder if the average r.c.f denizen doesn't get *outside*
> r.c.f very often.
>

> --
> Blinky
> Killing all posts from Google Groups
> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
> Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Hey, Blinky, you seem know all the in-outs of Usenet, how long does it take
to larn them? Did you have to stay "inside" a long time?
Gullible, gullible, gullible!! Whoopeee!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 00:18:26 -0800, Blinky the Shark
> > wrote:
>

>>It's weird that as much as we all think we know the word "gullible" it's
>>not actually in the dictionaries.

> Maybe not in your watery dictionaries, Blinky, but M-W has a definition
> for "gullible": easily duped or cheated.

Speaking of watery, you're the third fish I caught with the old Usenet
"gullible trick".

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:58:28 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>Hey, Blinky, you seem know all the in-outs of Usenet, how long does it take
>to larn them? Did you have to stay "inside" a long time?

LOLOL. I've been reading and posting to usenet since the mid 90's and
still haven't learned enough to stay away. <g>

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> l, not -l wrote:

> >> Maybe he was just fishing to see who was gullible enough to look it up.
> >> :-)

> > That would certainly be a good cover story, should one be caught making
> > a bone-headed assertion ;-)

> If you Google the phrase "gullible is not in the dictionary" you'll see
> about 10,000 hits. That's fishing, pure and simple, as was my own cast.

And I was the only one who spotted it?
That's odd, since I am usually naive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> l, not -l wrote:

>> > That would certainly be a good cover story, should one be caught
>> > making a bone-headed assertion ;-)

>> If you Google the phrase "gullible is not in the dictionary" you'll see
>> about 10,000 hits. That's fishing, pure and simple, as was my own cast.
>>

> And I was the only one who spotted it? That's odd, since I am usually
> naive.

Well, no. I've only reeled in three piscines with it so far, and I'd
think lots more members of the group would've seen my fly-cast. As common
as it is, I'm pleasantly surprised to have hooked that many. All in the
name of good-natured fun, of course.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 14:01:12 -0800, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 00:18:26 -0800, Blinky the Shark
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>It's weird that as much as we all think we know the word "gullible" it's
>>>not actually in the dictionaries.

>> Maybe not in your watery dictionaries, Blinky, but M-W has a definition
>> for "gullible": easily duped or cheated.

>Speaking of watery, you're the third fish I caught with the old Usenet
>"gullible trick".

Yeah, riiiiiight. Sharks don't troll.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:

> "Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
> news
>> Dee.Dee wrote:

>>> And I don't know anyone gullible enough to think it is not! :-)) Dee
>>> Dee

>> As common as that bit of fishing is on Usenet, and having just caught
>> two fish (so far) here with it after all the years it's been around, I'm
>> beginning to wonder if the average r.c.f denizen doesn't get *outside*
>> r.c.f very often.

> Hey, Blinky, you seem know all the in-outs of Usenet, how long does it

I love it; and I've been around it for a long time, yeah. That I love it
(and know how it works and why) is why I created the UIP (see my sig),
when it started getting watered down even more than AOL had been able to
manage. I think I started using Usenet in 1994 (not as Blinky).

> take to larn them? Did you have to stay "inside" a long time? Gullible,
> gullible, gullible!! Whoopeee! Dee Dee

I haven't left my apartment for 11 years.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:58:28 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
> wrote:
>

>>Hey, Blinky, you seem know all the in-outs of Usenet, how long does it
>>take to larn them? Did you have to stay "inside" a long time?

> LOLOL. I've been reading and posting to usenet since the mid 90's and
> still haven't learned enough to stay away. <g>

1994 for me -- not that it's addictive.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...

>>> It most certainly is!
>>>
>>> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gullible
>>>

>> Is that as in "Gullible's Travels"?
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Perhaps: "Travils of the Gullible"?
> Get me off this train wreck!
> Dee Dee

Last stop! Cucamonga! Remember to take all of your coats and
packages with you, and please -- don't flush while the car is
at the station.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
news
> Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> If you Google the phrase "gullible is not in the dictionary" you'll see
>>> about 10,000 hits. That's fishing, pure and simple, as was my own cast.
>>>

>> And I was the only one who spotted it? That's odd, since I am usually
>> naive.

> Well, no. I've only reeled in three piscines with it so far, and I'd
> think lots more members of the group would've seen my fly-cast. As common
> as it is, I'm pleasantly surprised to have hooked that many. All in the
> name of good-natured fun, of course.
>

> --
> Blinky

I was telling a friend from Canada that we had been to Lake Louise -- she
asked me if I had gone swimming there. I said, "No, we ....." and didn't
finish a sentence until she roared with laughter; I thought she was going to
pass-out. It was good-natured fun (for her!)

Of course, after she stopped doing the hyenae-thing, she explained (I won't
describe the demeanor) that no-one goes swimming in Lake Louise.

Reel me in!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
news

>>> As common as that bit of fishing is on Usenet, and having just caught
>>> two fish (so far) here with it after all the years it's been around, I'm
>>> beginning to wonder if the average r.c.f denizen doesn't get *outside*
>>> r.c.f very often.

>> Hey, Blinky, you seem know all the in-outs of Usenet, how long does it

> I love it; and I've been around it for a long time, yeah. That I love it
> (and know how it works and why) is why I created the UIP (see my sig),
> when it started getting watered down even more than AOL had been able to
> manage. I think I started using Usenet in 1994 (not as Blinky).
>
>> take to larn them? Did you have to stay "inside" a long time? Gullible,
>> gullible, gullible!! Whoopeee! Dee Dee

> I haven't left my apartment for 11 years.
>

> --
> Blinky
> Killing all posts from Google Groups
> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
> Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Gee, Blinky, I haven't even noticed your signature. Usually if they are
more than one name and one url, I ignore it.
Doesn't usenet etiquette suggest being more discreet and not taking up so
much space to advertise?

To repeat an useful phrase I've heard somewhere here in usenet ad nauseum:
You ought better think about getting out more.

Your fan,
Dee Dee
xxoo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:14:18 -0800, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>Y'know, sharks don't look very good in glasses.

Oh, maybe you're right!
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/cga0258l.jpg

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" wrote:

> I was telling a friend from Canada that we had been to Lake Louise -- she
> asked me if I had gone swimming there. I said, "No, we ....." and didn't
> finish a sentence until she roared with laughter; I thought she was going to
> pass-out. It was good-natured fun (for her!)
>
> Of course, after she stopped doing the hyenae-thing, she explained (I won't
> describe the demeanor) that no-one goes swimming in Lake Louise.

I can imagine that. It is glacier fed and bloody cold. I was there once at the
end of July and no one was swimming. A few days later we were in Whistler and
my cousin took us for a hike to Lost Lake. My wufe went for a swim but I only
got out far enough for the water to reach my knees . It was too cold for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:
> In article .net>,
> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>

>> Okay, I wouldn't even know about the politics of someone like that. Do you
>> actually research the founders/owners/officers of companies to determine
>> if you will use their products?

> Usually, when a prominant business owner supports a politician in the
> United States, he or she is very vocal about it. Also, most non-profit
> organizations list their donors publicly. Any politician who receives
> over a certain amount of money from any individual or organization is
> also required to say so. As a result, its not hard to figure out the
> political leanings of wealthy individuals if they put their money where
> their mouth is. I bet if you google "Karl N. Karcher" you'll find plenty
> of information.

The late Wendy's founder was also very right wing and supported
anti-abortion groups. One of the pizza chain founders, too
(Domino's?)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 00:30:02 GMT, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 02:54:36 GMT, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I never ate there....
>> Their food is too gloppy with sauce for me and everything seems to come in
>> huge portions.

>How do you know this if you've never eaten there?

She's trying to keep up with Jill as far as uninformed posts.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 00:31:59 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>Stan Horwitz wrote:
>> In article .net>,
>> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>>

>>> Okay, I wouldn't even know about the politics of someone like that. Do you
>>> actually research the founders/owners/officers of companies to determine
>>> if you will use their products?

>> Usually, when a prominant business owner supports a politician in the
>> United States, he or she is very vocal about it. Also, most non-profit
>> organizations list their donors publicly. Any politician who receives
>> over a certain amount of money from any individual or organization is
>> also required to say so. As a result, its not hard to figure out the
>> political leanings of wealthy individuals if they put their money where
>> their mouth is. I bet if you google "Karl N. Karcher" you'll find plenty
>> of information.

>The late Wendy's founder was also very right wing and supported
>anti-abortion groups. One of the pizza chain founders, too
>(Domino's?)

It was Domino's. I don't think he's part of the business anymore.
The new advertising campaign has brought back the 30 minute thing.
It's not 30 minute delivery, rather "what you could have done with
the 30 minutes rather than cooking." I'm sure there's still some
fools that think they will be getting guaranteed delivery in 30
minutes. Good marketing with a target audience of idiots.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 21 Jan 2008 02:53:58p, Dee.Dee told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...

>>> It most certainly is!
>>>
>>> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gullible
>>>

>> Is that as in "Gullible's Travels"?
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Perhaps: "Travils of the Gullible"?
> Get me off this train wreck!
> Dee Dee

<G>

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 01(I)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Martin Luther King's Birthday
All you can eat, shrimp

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 21 Jan 2008 03:37:55p, Blinky the Shark told us...

> Dee.Dee wrote:
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> 3.184...
>>> On Mon 21 Jan 2008 09:13:32a, Ophelia told us...

>>> Is that as in "Gullible's Travels"?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright

>> Perhaps: "Travils of the Gullible"?
>> Get me off this train wreck!
>> Dee Dee

> Last stop! Cucamonga! Remember to take all of your coats and
> packages with you, and please -- don't flush while the car is
> at the station.

I can't wait that long.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 01(I)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Martin Luther King's Birthday
All you can eat, shrimp

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 21, 3:33*pm, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
> As far as my experience goes, it's the best dollar-menu munch in town.

The way you keep going on and on about it, you probably work there.
Cleaning the toilets, no doubt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 21 Jan 2008 09:39:23p, l, not -l told us...

> On 21-Jan-2008, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> You specifically said they both had the "Angus Thickburgers", which
>> was incorrect. With the exception of the $6 burger, the burgers are
>> completely different dimensions and as you note, toppings are
>> different. This makes the restaurants substantially different. They
>> taste completely different, down to the bun.

> You are either the dimmest bulb in the chandelier or just like to be
> contentious. Thickburger is a marketing term; the meat is the same, 1/3
> and 1/2 half pound Angus beef - same size patty, same taste, different
> marketing for different regions by the same company (CKE, the Karcher
> company)

Steve likes to be contentious. Also like a dog with an old bone...never
lets go.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 01(I)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Martin Luther King's Birthday
Cats must pee in the hole in the
carpet where the key to the gas
fireplace goes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 21 Jan 2008 09:53:29p, Sqwertz told us...

> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 04:47:31 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Steve likes to be contentious.

> That's right. It's a Usenet tradition.
>
>> Also like a dog with an old bone...never lets go.

> And to think I almost gave this one to him. But I was wrong when
> I said I was wrong ;-)
>
> -sw

<g>

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 01(I)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Martin Luther King's Birthday
Now just a second! I happen to LIKE
my foot in my mouth!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 14:01:12 -0800, Blinky the Shark >
> wrote:
>
>>sf wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 00:18:26 -0800, Blinky the Shark

>>> Maybe not in your watery dictionaries, Blinky, but M-W has a definition
>>> for "gullible": easily duped or cheated.

>>Speaking of watery, you're the third fish I caught with the old Usenet
>>"gullible trick".

> Yeah, riiiiiight. Sharks don't troll.

Hey, that wasn't trolling. Well, not the bad kind.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:

> "Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
> news

>>> Hey, Blinky, you seem know all the in-outs of Usenet, how long does it

>> I love it; and I've been around it for a long time, yeah. That I love
>> it (and know how it works and why) is why I created the UIP (see my
>> sig), when it started getting watered down even more than AOL had been
>> able to manage. I think I started using Usenet in 1994 (not as Blinky).
>>
>>> take to larn them? Did you have to stay "inside" a long time?
>>> Gullible, gullible, gullible!! Whoopeee! Dee Dee

>> I haven't left my apartment for 11 years.
>>

>> --
>> Blinky
>> Killing all posts from Google Groups
>> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org Blinky:
>> http://blinkynet.net

> Gee, Blinky, I haven't even noticed your signature. Usually if they are
> more than one name and one url, I ignore it. Doesn't usenet etiquette
> suggest being more discreet and not taking up so much space to advertise?

The convention for sigs is four lines max. Count 'em. Four. The
delimiter ("-- ") doesn't count. Thanks for playing. You've been a swell
contestent, and we have some nice prizes waiting for you on your way out
of the studio.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:

> On 21-Jan-2008, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> Actually, fishing for the gullible (or at least those with their guard
>> down) by saying that "gullible" isn't in the dictionary has been a
>> Usenet staple for decades. Perhaps you haven't been around Usenet very
>> long, if this is the first time you've observed it -- which would seem
>> to be the case.

> It is either the first time I've observed it, or other times were simply
> not memorable. The first post of mine that Google Groups found was Dec.
> 1995 and was to this group; though I'm sure I posted for quite a while
> before that. So, yes, not around newsgroups too long - 12 or so years is
> all.
>
> Perhaps the reason I haven't seen it (or don't recall seeing it) is, I
> simply read message from a better class of NNTP users over the years -
> those with constructive things to contribute. NO, wait, that can't be it
> - I just read the first post Google has for me. It was in a thread whose
> subject was Sky King and was a discussion of old TV shows - there was just
> as much off-topic discussion then as now; probably not as mean though.

So I take it you're *offended* by this kind of horseplay?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> It's weird that as much as we all think we know the word "gullible"
>>> it's not actually in the dictionaries.

>> It most certainly is!
>>
>> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gullible

> Why, thank you. Now think about this experience and spit the hook.

<G> Thwap!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> As common as that bit of fishing is on Usenet, and having just caught
> two fish (so far) here with it after all the years it's been around,
> I'm beginning to wonder if the average r.c.f denizen doesn't get
> *outside* r.c.f very often.

On the contrary dear boy! Some of us spend so much time out of here, that
we don't recognise this type of fishing

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:23:04 -0800, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>l, not -l wrote:

>>> Maybe he was just fishing to see who was gullible enough to look it up.
>>> :-)

>> That would certainly be a good cover story, should one be caught making a
>> bone-headed assertion ;-)

>Actually, fishing for the gullible (or at least those with their guard
>down) by saying that "gullible" isn't in the dictionary has been
>a Usenet staple for decades. Perhaps you haven't been around Usenet very
>long, if this is the first time you've observed it -- which would seem to
>be the case.

with all due respect, blinky, it was pretty tired even when it first
appeared.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:01:50 GMT, Lou Decruss > wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:58:28 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
>wrote:
>

>>Hey, Blinky, you seem know all the in-outs of Usenet, how long does it take
>>to larn them? Did you have to stay "inside" a long time?

>LOLOL. I've been reading and posting to usenet since the mid 90's and
>still haven't learned enough to stay away. <g>
>
>Lou

as far as free entertainment goes, it's better than television.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:14:18 -0800, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 03:17:11 -0800, Blinky the Shark >
>> wrote:

>>>It was only in Hawaii until at least (no earlier than) 1980.
>>>
>>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Burrito

>> Clean off your glasses, Blinkster.
>>
>> "Originally, Green Burrito was an independent restaurant in Hawaiian
>> Gardens, *California*.

>Y'know, sharks don't look very good in glasses.

maybe that's why charlie the tuna never made it into starkist:

<http://www.johnmariani.com/archive/2006/060723/charlie_tuna.jpg>

course, the hat looks pretty stupid, too.

your pal,
CotS mermaid
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 00:57:31 GMT, Lou Decruss > wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 00:31:59 GMT, Puester >
>wrote:
>
>>Stan Horwitz wrote:

>>> Usually, when a prominant business owner supports a politician in the
>>> United States, he or she is very vocal about it. Also, most non-profit
>>> organizations list their donors publicly. Any politician who receives
>>> over a certain amount of money from any individual or organization is
>>> also required to say so. As a result, its not hard to figure out the
>>> political leanings of wealthy individuals if they put their money where
>>> their mouth is. I bet if you google "Karl N. Karcher" you'll find plenty
>>> of information.

>>The late Wendy's founder was also very right wing and supported
>>anti-abortion groups. One of the pizza chain founders, too
>>(Domino's?)

>It was Domino's. I don't think he's part of the business anymore.

tom monaghan. yes, he sold his interest in domino's in 1998 and of
late has been involved in ave maria school of law in michigan (a move
to florida was planned, don't know if it came off), with which robert
bork, antonin scalia, and scalia twin clarence thomas have been
involved.

the boycott was promoted if not instigated by the national
organization for women due to his antiabortion activities. monaghan
seems more god-mad than a true wingnut, though.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Monaghan>

your pal,
blake

HEY CARL [email protected] Wine 0 26-08-2012 02:47 AM
Where to get Carl's ? ? ? Ray[_7_] Sourdough 2 11-07-2008 11:59 AM
Carl's Starter George Rupp Sourdough 4 11-05-2007 09:45 PM
What's new at Carl's Jr. darkcat General Cooking 0 12-04-2007 08:28 AM
Thanks for everything, Carl, but... Ben Sunshine-Hill Sourdough 23 17-02-2006 06:19 AM