Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pizzas

Heya folks,

I have been on a pizza kick the past few days.

I use the recipe for Neapolitan dough in American Pie, by Peter
Reinhardt. Supposedly this recipe makes enough for 6 small
pizzas...but I must make bigger pizzas...

Yesterday, I made a combo marinara/Margharita pizza. The topping is
the crushed tomato sauce from the same book as above, sliced garlic,
basil, fresh mozzarella, and parmesan. I tried out my old perforated
pizza pan for baking this one..and it did okay.

Before going in the oven:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=80vrhmq&s=1

After baking:
http://i1.tinypic.com/6pfgiad.jpg

Tonight, I decided to try one with feta cheese, sort of a Greek theme.
I decided to do this one more freeform and try baking it on the pizza
stone.

The base again, was the crushed tomato sauce. On top of it I put some
sliced sauteed red onions, some chopped nicoise olives, feta cheese,
parmesan cheese, and oregano. I had some cornmeal on the pizza peel
and I slid it onto the pizza stone to bake.

12 minutes later:
http://i1.tinypic.com/6nqc6rk.jpg

I still have a ball of dough left..enough for a smallish pizza....not
sure what that one will be. However this Greek style is pretty good.
I do love feta on a pizza!!

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> Heya folks,
>
> I have been on a pizza kick the past few days.
>
> I use the recipe for Neapolitan dough in American Pie, by Peter
> Reinhardt. Supposedly this recipe makes enough for 6 small
> pizzas...but I must make bigger pizzas...
>
> Yesterday, I made a combo marinara/Margharita pizza. The topping is
> the crushed tomato sauce from the same book as above, sliced garlic,
> basil, fresh mozzarella, and parmesan. I tried out my old perforated
> pizza pan for baking this one..and it did okay.
>
> Before going in the oven:
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=80vrhmq&s=1
>
> After baking:
> http://i1.tinypic.com/6pfgiad.jpg
>
> Tonight, I decided to try one with feta cheese, sort of a Greek theme.
> I decided to do this one more freeform and try baking it on the pizza
> stone.
>
> The base again, was the crushed tomato sauce. On top of it I put some
> sliced sauteed red onions, some chopped nicoise olives, feta cheese,
> parmesan cheese, and oregano. I had some cornmeal on the pizza peel
> and I slid it onto the pizza stone to bake.
>
> 12 minutes later:
> http://i1.tinypic.com/6nqc6rk.jpg
>
> I still have a ball of dough left..enough for a smallish pizza....not
> sure what that one will be. However this Greek style is pretty good.
> I do love feta on a pizza!!
>
> Christine

Christine, you cook on a perforated pizza pan??????????????
Pizza is baked on a stone. Pizza Margharita is made with thin crust and
should have
fresh tomato, not tomato sauce, and only basil and cheese. It should bake in
about 2-3 minutes on a stone
in a true pizza oven, or at most on the stone in about 5-6 minutes at home.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:42:21 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:

>Christine, you cook on a perforated pizza pan??????????????

Read it again. The first one was baked on a perforated pizza pan,
just to try it out.

The 2nd one was baked on a stone.... So calm down...LOL.

>Pizza is baked on a stone. Pizza Margharita is made with thin crust and
>should have
>fresh tomato, not tomato sauce, and only basil and cheese. It should bake in
>about 2-3 minutes on a stone
>in a true pizza oven, or at most on the stone in about 5-6 minutes at home.

I never said mine was the true Pizza Margharita..I said it was combo
of things. Again, read a bit more carefully...

And I know what it is supposed to be like. This happened to be what I
wanted for the time being. Plus, I used what I had..... I don't have
a true pizza oven...and yes, it took longer than a regular pizza oven.
The thing that matters is that it was good, and I enjoyed it.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
>> Heya folks,
>>
>> I have been on a pizza kick the past few days.
>>
>> I use the recipe for Neapolitan dough in American Pie, by Peter
>> Reinhardt. Supposedly this recipe makes enough for 6 small
>> pizzas...but I must make bigger pizzas...
>>
>> Yesterday, I made a combo marinara/Margharita pizza. The topping is
>> the crushed tomato sauce from the same book as above, sliced garlic,
>> basil, fresh mozzarella, and parmesan. I tried out my old perforated
>> pizza pan for baking this one..and it did okay.
>>
>> Before going in the oven:
>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=80vrhmq&s=1
>>
>> After baking:
>> http://i1.tinypic.com/6pfgiad.jpg
>>
>> Tonight, I decided to try one with feta cheese, sort of a Greek theme.
>> I decided to do this one more freeform and try baking it on the pizza
>> stone.
>>
>> The base again, was the crushed tomato sauce. On top of it I put some
>> sliced sauteed red onions, some chopped nicoise olives, feta cheese,
>> parmesan cheese, and oregano. I had some cornmeal on the pizza peel
>> and I slid it onto the pizza stone to bake.
>>
>> 12 minutes later:
>> http://i1.tinypic.com/6nqc6rk.jpg
>>
>> I still have a ball of dough left..enough for a smallish pizza....not
>> sure what that one will be. However this Greek style is pretty good.
>> I do love feta on a pizza!!
>>
>> Christine
>>

> Christine, you cook on a perforated pizza pan??????????????
> Pizza is baked on a stone. Pizza Margharita is made with thin crust and
> should have
> fresh tomato, not tomato sauce, and only basil and cheese. It should bake
> in about 2-3 minutes on a stone
> in a true pizza oven, or at most on the stone in about 5-6 minutes at
> home.
>
> Kent

It's the middle of December and many of us can't get fresh tomatoes that
have any actual taste. What do you suggest? Use sauce, or don't make pizza
until July when there are worthwhile tomatoes?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
<snipped for space>

> http://i1.tinypic.com/6nqc6rk.jpg
>
> I still have a ball of dough left..enough for a smallish pizza....not
> sure what that one will be. However this Greek style is pretty good.
> I do love feta on a pizza!!

Hafta admit that looked really good Chris! Pity I can't eat pizza any
more
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Kent" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
>>> Heya folks,
>>>
>>> I have been on a pizza kick the past few days.
>>>
>>> I use the recipe for Neapolitan dough in American Pie, by Peter
>>> Reinhardt. Supposedly this recipe makes enough for 6 small
>>> pizzas...but I must make bigger pizzas...
>>>
>>> Yesterday, I made a combo marinara/Margharita pizza. The topping is
>>> the crushed tomato sauce from the same book as above, sliced garlic,
>>> basil, fresh mozzarella, and parmesan. I tried out my old perforated
>>> pizza pan for baking this one..and it did okay.
>>>
>>> Before going in the oven:
>>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=80vrhmq&s=1
>>>
>>> After baking:
>>> http://i1.tinypic.com/6pfgiad.jpg
>>>
>>> Tonight, I decided to try one with feta cheese, sort of a Greek theme.
>>> I decided to do this one more freeform and try baking it on the pizza
>>> stone.
>>>
>>> The base again, was the crushed tomato sauce. On top of it I put some
>>> sliced sauteed red onions, some chopped nicoise olives, feta cheese,
>>> parmesan cheese, and oregano. I had some cornmeal on the pizza peel
>>> and I slid it onto the pizza stone to bake.
>>>
>>> 12 minutes later:
>>> http://i1.tinypic.com/6nqc6rk.jpg
>>>
>>> I still have a ball of dough left..enough for a smallish pizza....not
>>> sure what that one will be. However this Greek style is pretty good.
>>> I do love feta on a pizza!!
>>>
>>> Christine
>>>

>> Christine, you cook on a perforated pizza pan??????????????
>> Pizza is baked on a stone. Pizza Margharita is made with thin crust and
>> should have
>> fresh tomato, not tomato sauce, and only basil and cheese. It should bake
>> in about 2-3 minutes on a stone
>> in a true pizza oven, or at most on the stone in about 5-6 minutes at
>> home.
>>
>> Kent

> It's the middle of December and many of us can't get fresh tomatoes that
> have any actual taste. What do you suggest? Use sauce, or don't make pizza
> until July when there are worthwhile tomatoes?

For a change do what I sometimes do and use artichoke bruschetta toping
in place of tomato sauce. I find that hard salami and sliced fresh
mozzarella cheese go well with this.

Don
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:33:41 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>Heya folks,
>
>I have been on a pizza kick the past few days.

snip to my lou

>I still have a ball of dough left..enough for a smallish pizza....not
>sure what that one will be. However this Greek style is pretty good.
>I do love feta on a pizza!!
>
>Christine

They both look great. I think the crust on the Greek one, that was
cooked on the stone, looks best.

Now I'm hungry for pizza, hope I have some yeast.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 11/15

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> "Kent" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> >> Heya folks,
> >>
> >> I have been on a pizza kick the past few days.
> >>
> >> I use the recipe for Neapolitan dough in American Pie, by Peter
> >> Reinhardt. Supposedly this recipe makes enough for 6 small
> >> pizzas...but I must make bigger pizzas...
> >>
> >> Yesterday, I made a combo marinara/Margharita pizza. The topping is
> >> the crushed tomato sauce from the same book as above, sliced garlic,
> >> basil, fresh mozzarella, and parmesan. I tried out my old perforated
> >> pizza pan for baking this one..and it did okay.
> >>
> >> Before going in the oven:
> >> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=80vrhmq&s=1
> >>
> >> After baking:
> >> http://i1.tinypic.com/6pfgiad.jpg
> >>
> >> Tonight, I decided to try one with feta cheese, sort of a Greek theme.
> >> I decided to do this one more freeform and try baking it on the pizza
> >> stone.
> >>
> >> The base again, was the crushed tomato sauce. On top of it I put some
> >> sliced sauteed red onions, some chopped nicoise olives, feta cheese,
> >> parmesan cheese, and oregano. I had some cornmeal on the pizza peel
> >> and I slid it onto the pizza stone to bake.
> >>
> >> 12 minutes later:
> >> http://i1.tinypic.com/6nqc6rk.jpg
> >>
> >> I still have a ball of dough left..enough for a smallish pizza....not
> >> sure what that one will be. However this Greek style is pretty good.
> >> I do love feta on a pizza!!
> >>
> >> Christine
> >>

> > Christine, you cook on a perforated pizza pan??????????????
> > Pizza is baked on a stone. Pizza Margharita is made with thin crust and
> > should have
> > fresh tomato, not tomato sauce, and only basil and cheese. It should

bake
> > in about 2-3 minutes on a stone
> > in a true pizza oven, or at most on the stone in about 5-6 minutes at
> > home.
> >
> > Kent

> It's the middle of December and many of us can't get fresh tomatoes that
> have any actual taste. What do you suggest? Use sauce, or don't make pizza
> until July when there are worthwhile tomatoes?

Even in summer it is hard to get a decent tomatoes. I would suggest sun
dried tomatoes from a jar as a good sub.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> It's the middle of December and many of us can't get fresh tomatoes that
> have any actual taste. What do you suggest? Use sauce, or don't make pizza
> until July when there are worthwhile tomatoes?

I only make them in August-September when fresh home grown tomatoes are
available to me. I grow basil especially for the occasion. I look
forward to the next experience for eleven months.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> It's the middle of December and many of us can't get fresh tomatoes that
>> have any actual taste. What do you suggest? Use sauce, or don't make
>> pizza
>> until July when there are worthwhile tomatoes?

> I only make them in August-September when fresh home grown tomatoes are
> available to me. I grow basil especially for the occasion. I look
> forward to the next experience for eleven months.
>
> leo

I bought fresh tomatoes for a Margherita a few weeks ago (and a BLT). I had
some garden-grown basil that I had 'frozen' in the style recommended by
Nigella or someone here. Certainly a good tomato sauce would have been
better.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy replied:

> Christine Dabney wrote:
> <snipped for space>
>>
>> http://i1.tinypic.com/6nqc6rk.jpg
>>
>> I still have a ball of dough left..enough for a smallish pizza....not
>> sure what that one will be. However this Greek style is pretty good.
>> I do love feta on a pizza!!

> Hafta admit that looked really good Chris! Pity I can't eat pizza any more

Hmm... for some reason the original post never showed up on my server. As it
happened, I made pizza this morning at Lin's request. I used the pizza crust
recipe from _Baking With Julia_, a simple tomato sauce (chopped onion,
garlic, oregano, parsley, canned tomatoes, and white wine vinegar, simmered
until thick), chicken-feta sausages, crisp-sautéed mushrooms, slivers of red
bell pepper, onions, and lots of gooey bocconcini. I thought about cooking
it on a pizza stone, but I'd stretched the crust extremely thin, and I was
afraid that the crust would tear as it slid off the peel onto the stone, so
I cooked it in a mini-sheet pan instead. It turned out really well,
regardless.

I've still got half the dough left; I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing
with it. I'll almost certainly take a walnut-sized piece of it to make the
Mixed-Starter Bread from that same book, and the remainder will go toward
making breadsticks or something similar.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> Heya folks,
>
> I have been on a pizza kick the past few days.
>
> I use the recipe for Neapolitan dough in American Pie, by Peter
> Reinhardt. Supposedly this recipe makes enough for 6 small
> pizzas...but I must make bigger pizzas...
>
> Christine

How about posting the dough recipe, the pics look yummy.

--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Charles Quinn" > wrote in message
. 3.70...
> Christine Dabney > wrote in
> :
>
>> Heya folks,
>>
>> I have been on a pizza kick the past few days.
>>
>> I use the recipe for Neapolitan dough in American Pie, by Peter
>> Reinhardt. Supposedly this recipe makes enough for 6 small
>> pizzas...but I must make bigger pizzas...
>>
>> Christine

> How about posting the dough recipe, the pics look yummy.
>

> --
>
> Charles

Here it is -- consider yourself lucky; this book is not inexpensive.

http://steamykitchen.wordpress.com/2...n-pizza-dough/

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> Dee.Dee wrote:
>> "Charles Quinn" > wrote in message
>> . 3.70...
>>> Christine Dabney > wrote in
>>> :

>>> How about posting the dough recipe, the pics look yummy.
>>>
>>> Charles

>> Here it is -- consider yourself lucky; this book is not inexpensive.
>>
>> http://steamykitchen.wordpress.com/2...n-pizza-dough/
>>
>> Dee Dee

> Thanks, Dee Dee! I've got that recipe saved. It sounds exactly like what
> I'm going for in a crust!
>
> kili

I've made it a lot. It works, it's good.
I'm nuts about pizza.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 10:14:46 -0500, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>koko wrote:
>>
>> They both look great. I think the crust on the Greek one, that was
>> cooked on the stone, looks best.
>>
>> Now I'm hungry for pizza, hope I have some yeast.
>>
>> koko

>I know, I want to make a pizza, too, but sadly, I'm out of yeast! Maybe
>I'll be able to pick some up next week. :~)
>
>For toppings I'm thinking; olives, onions, portobello mushrooms, spinach,
>garlic and fresh roma tomatoes with buffalo mozzarella. Hmmmmm.
>
>kili

Dang, that sounds good kili. I'm out of yeast also, I'll get some this
weekend.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 11/15

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 23:09:34 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

snippage

>Here it is -- consider yourself lucky; this book is not inexpensive.
>
>http://steamykitchen.wordpress.com/2...n-pizza-dough/
>
>Dee Dee

I really enjoy reading her blog. She's informative, funny and very
knowledgeable.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 11/15

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<koko> wrote in message ...
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 10:14:46 -0500, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
>>koko wrote:
>>>
>>> They both look great. I think the crust on the Greek one, that was
>>> cooked on the stone, looks best.
>>>
>>> Now I'm hungry for pizza, hope I have some yeast.
>>>
>>> koko

>>I know, I want to make a pizza, too, but sadly, I'm out of yeast! Maybe
>>I'll be able to pick some up next week. :~)
>>
>>For toppings I'm thinking; olives, onions, portobello mushrooms, spinach,
>>garlic and fresh roma tomatoes with buffalo mozzarella. Hmmmmm.
>>
>>kili
>>

> Dang, that sounds good kili. I'm out of yeast also, I'll get some this
> weekend.
>
> koko
> ---

Do you-all use the wet yeast?
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<koko> wrote in message news
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 23:09:34 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
> wrote:
>
> snippage
>>
>>Here it is -- consider yourself lucky; this book is not inexpensive.
>>
>>http://steamykitchen.wordpress.com/2...n-pizza-dough/
>>
>>Dee Dee
>>

> I really enjoy reading her blog. She's informative, funny and very
> knowledgeable.
>
> koko

And her photographs are top-notch.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:11:51 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

><koko> wrote in message ...
>> On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 10:14:46 -0500, "kilikini"
>> > wrote:

>>>I know, I want to make a pizza, too, but sadly, I'm out of yeast! Maybe
>>>I'll be able to pick some up next week. :~)
>>>
>>>For toppings I'm thinking; olives, onions, portobello mushrooms, spinach,
>>>garlic and fresh roma tomatoes with buffalo mozzarella. Hmmmmm.
>>>
>>>kili
>>>

>> Dang, that sounds good kili. I'm out of yeast also, I'll get some this
>> weekend.
>>
>> koko
>> ---

>Do you-all use the wet yeast?
>Dee Dee

I've never tried it. Is that what you prefer?

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 11/15

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<koko> wrote in message ...
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:11:51 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
> wrote:
>

>><koko> wrote in message ...
>>> On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 10:14:46 -0500, "kilikini"

>>> Dang, that sounds good kili. I'm out of yeast also, I'll get some this
>>> weekend.
>>>
>>> koko
>>> ---

>>Do you-all use the wet yeast?
>>Dee Dee
>>

> I've never tried it. Is that what you prefer?
>
> koko
> ---

No, I never use it.
But since you both said that you were out of yeast, I wondered. Because I
buy yeast in bulk. http://tinyurl.com/26ee54 not particularly from Amazon,
but perhaps Costco or when I order somewhere online. I particularly like SAF
yeast.

I put it in a quart jar into the refrigerator and it will last a year, I
know. 1 package of yeast =2-1/4 teaspoon.

For 3-4 cups of flour, usually I use 1-1/2 teaspoons, a l-1/2 lb. loaf.

I think packaged yeast is pretty expensive, and then you still probably will
proof it too make sure it is OK. I never proof yeast. It's always good
when you store it properly.

I bake bread a lot, but I don't use the fresh yeast. I believe Boron uses
the fresh (wet) yeast for her baking; it is not readily available to me --
and one has to be careful (I've heard) about it being fresh or keeping it
fresh.

I try to grocery shop once a week, that's it.

End of bread reply, :-))
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:46:50 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>I bake bread a lot, but I don't use the fresh yeast. I believe Boron uses
>the fresh (wet) yeast for her baking; it is not readily available to me --
>and one has to be careful (I've heard) about it being fresh or keeping it
>fresh.

Fresh? Is that cake yeast or yeast cake.... whatever it's called?

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:46:50 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
> wrote:
>
>>I bake bread a lot, but I don't use the fresh yeast. I believe Boron
>>uses
>>the fresh (wet) yeast for her baking; it is not readily available to me --
>>and one has to be careful (I've heard) about it being fresh or keeping it
>>fresh.

> Fresh? Is that cake yeast or yeast cake.... whatever it's called?

Yes, dear sf.

http://www.foodsubs.com/LeavenYeast.html

fresh yeast = compressed yeast = active fresh yeast = cake yeast = baker's
compressed yeast = wet yeast

Note:
but it's very perishable and loses potency a few weeks after it's packed.

Note the substitution amount is 2-1/4 teaspoon which is the amount that is
in a over-the-counter pack of yeast.

Quote:
Equivalents: 2-ounce cake = 3 X 0.6-ounce cakes Notes: This form of
yeast usually comes in 0.6-ounce or 2-ounce foil-wrapped cakes. It works
faster and longer than active dry yeast, but it's very perishable and loses
potency a few weeks after it's packed. It's popular among commercial
bakers, who can keep ahead of the expiration dates, but home bakers usually
prefer dry yeast. To use, soften the cake in a liquid that's 70° - 80° F.
Store fresh yeast in the refrigerator, well wrapped, or in the freezer,
where it will keep for up to four months. If you freeze it, defrost it for
a day in the refrigerator before using.

Substitutes: active dry yeast (Substitute one package or 2 1/4 teaspoons
for each .6-ounce cake of compressed yeast) OR instant yeast (Substitute one
package or 2 1/4 teaspoons for each cake of compressed yeast) OR bread
machine yeast (Substitute 2 1/4 teaspoons for each cake of compressed yeast)
End Quote.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 23:07:04 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>Note:
>but it's very perishable and loses potency a few weeks after it's packed.

Thanks! I deleted the part about me wasting most of the "fresh" yeast
I've bought in my lifetime. I'm better off using the dried stuff
because my baking goes in spurts and I don't usually want to shop when
the moods hits me.

freezing pizzas? anthony Baking 5 15-10-2007 11:51 PM
Frozen pizzas Paul M. Cook General Cooking 80 08-08-2007 12:16 AM
Mini Pizzas Michele Recipes (moderated) 0 13-07-2006 04:07 AM
Veggie Pizzas Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 27-04-2005 02:42 AM
Veggie Pizzas Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 27-04-2005 02:42 AM