Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Frozen meals?

Hi, Gang,

I'm going into the hospital for surgery next week. I'll be gone for
at least an overnight, and out of commission for a few days after
that. I want to leave frozen meals for James so that he doesn't end
up ordering pizza the whole time I'm gone. There's nothing wrong
with pizza; he just ends up eating pizza and hot dogs for every meal
if I am not home to cook and there's nothing easy in the house. He's
diabetic, and it's best if he eats more varied and wholesome foods,
in general. He prefers it, too. And I like cooking for him, and for
the rest of my family and friends.

What are you favorite freezable meals? Ideally, not hugely high in
fat, though that's not the most important thing. Most important
things are that it just has to be popped into the oven, and it's
tasty. Cheap would be a bonus, too, as we're kind of strapped, and
with a 60/40 insurance plan, that's not going to change any time
soon. Don't get me started on the state of health insurance in this
country. *deep breaths*

Anyway.

Yesterday, we had a chicken enchilada casserole from that batch I
made the other week, but those are gone now, so I want to put in at
least a couple things to tide the family over while I'm on my back
(and not in that nice way that we like).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Serene
--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

In sober truth, nearly all the things which men are hanged or
imprisoned for doing to one another are nature’s everyday
performances. Killing, the most criminal act recognized by human
laws, nature does once to every being that lives, and in a large
proportion of cases after protracted tortures such as only the
greatest monsters whom we read of ever purposely inflicted on
their living fellow creatures. [John Stuart Mill, Utility of
Religion]
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> What are you favorite freezable meals?

I take any favorite casserole recipe for a 9 x 13 pan and make it in two
9" square pans. One for dinner and one for the freezer. It helps keep
our freezer stocked and works well portion wise since there are only 2
or 3 of us eating dinner here.

Favorites are lasagna, enchiladas, Mimi's baked mac and cheese (freeze
before baking), my sisters greek chicken casserole (at bottom of page).

We also will freeze soups, pesto, tomato type pasta sauces, teriyaki
sauce and french bread/rolls. The bread can be easily heated up with
dinner. The teriyaki sauce can become a quick marinade and the other
sauces are quick to use for a variety of meals.

Greek Chicken Strudel

For the filling:
6 boneless chicken breasts grilled and chopped
6 cups (12 oz) loosely packed chopped spinach leaves
3 T. olive oil
1 1/2 cups minced green onions
1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
3/4 lb. feta cheese (2 1/2 c)
5 oz (1 1/4 c) shredded jack cheese
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. Grated nutmeg
1 tsp. Grd. Coriander
1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
Salt and pepper to taste

For Assembly:
9 - 12 sheets of filo pastry
1/3 cup melted butter

Place spinach with the water clinging to it from rinsing in a large
frying pan and stir over med. Heat unit wilted, about 3 min. Drain well
and squeeze dry.
Heat the oil in a pan, add the green onions and cook until soft, about 5
min. Place in a bowl with the chicken, spinach, dill, parsley, feta
cheese, jack cheese, eggs, nutmeg, coriander, cayenne and walnuts. Stir
until well combined. Season liberally with salt and pepper.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. To assemble, brush a sheet of filo dough
with melted butter and place in bottom on 13 X 9 pan., layer 2 more
layers. Add _ of filling. Brush and add 2 -3 more layers of filo
dough. Add second half of filling. Top with two or three layers of
filo dough brushing with butter between each layer.
Cook for 25-30 min.

marcella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Marcella Peek wrote:
> In article >,
> Serene > wrote:
>
>> What are you favorite freezable meals?

> I take any favorite casserole recipe for a 9 x 13 pan and make it in two
> 9" square pans. One for dinner and one for the freezer. It helps keep
> our freezer stocked and works well portion wise since there are only 2
> or 3 of us eating dinner here.
>
> Favorites are lasagna, enchiladas, Mimi's baked mac and cheese (freeze
> before baking), my sisters greek chicken casserole (at bottom of page).

Thank you! I think the Greek casserole is a great idea. James loves
anything made with filo dough. :-)

Serene
--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"A true friend stabs you in the front." -- Oscar Wilde
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Marcella Peek wrote:

> Greek Chicken Strudel
>

> For the filling:
> 6 boneless chicken breasts grilled and chopped
> 6 cups (12 oz) loosely packed chopped spinach leaves
> 3 T. olive oil
> 1 1/2 cups minced green onions
> 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
> 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
> 3/4 lb. feta cheese (2 1/2 c)
> 5 oz (1 1/4 c) shredded jack cheese
> 3 eggs
> 1/2 tsp. Grated nutmeg
> 1 tsp. Grd. Coriander
> 1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper
> 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
> Salt and pepper to taste
>
> For Assembly:
> 9 - 12 sheets of filo pastry
> 1/3 cup melted butter
>
> Place spinach with the water clinging to it from rinsing in a large
> frying pan and stir over med. Heat unit wilted, about 3 min. Drain well
> and squeeze dry.
> Heat the oil in a pan, add the green onions and cook until soft, about 5
> min. Place in a bowl with the chicken, spinach, dill, parsley, feta
> cheese, jack cheese, eggs, nutmeg, coriander, cayenne and walnuts. Stir
> until well combined. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
>
> Preheat oven to 325 degrees. To assemble, brush a sheet of filo dough
> with melted butter and place in bottom on 13 X 9 pan., layer 2 more
> layers. Add _ of filling. Brush and add 2 -3 more layers of filo
> dough. Add second half of filling. Top with two or three layers of
> filo dough brushing with butter between each layer.
> Cook for 25-30 min.

Oooh does this sound good or what!! Filed and saved. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 2, 11:42 am, "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
> Serene > dropped this news:5p0v5hFoqgrsU1
> @mid.individual.net: in rec.food.cooking
>
> > Hi, Gang,

> > I'm going into the hospital for surgery next week.

> <slight snip for space>
>

> > What are you favorite freezable meals? Ideally, not hugely high in
> > fat, though that's not the most important thing. Most important
> > things are that it just has to be popped into the oven, and it's
> > tasty. Cheap would be a bonus, too, as we're kind of strapped, and
> > with a 60/40 insurance plan, that's not going to change any time
> > soon. Don't get me started on the state of health insurance in this
> > country. *deep breaths*

If you find out you're terminal, you could put some bullets into some
Fascists, as a thank you for their positions on health care issues.

> If all else fails, go here for some ideas. I'm sure some of the recipes
> have canned soup in them but what the heck, live dangerously
>
> http://busycooks.about.com/od/makeah...ecasserole.htm

I certainly wouldn't leave MY spouse that "busycooks" garbage, and
expect her to eat it. Pizza would be much better.

> Michael

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 08:46:57 -0700, Serene wrote:
>
>> What are you favorite freezable meals?

> Stouffers Sweedish Meatballs :-)
>
> -sw

Also for breakfast, Jimmy Dean breakfast bowls.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene > wrote:

>What are you favorite freezable meals? Ideally, not hugely high in
>fat, though that's not the most important thing. Most important
>things are that it just has to be popped into the oven, and it's
>tasty.

We've had good luck recently freezing bean-based dishes like
red beans and rice (minus the rice), Tuscan-style white bean
soup (w/ kale and a small fraction of either ham or bacon),
and standard vegetarian chili. These heat best stovetop rather
than oven though, if that's a consideration.

To include a starch component I will include corn in the veggie chili.
Or, for the bean soup I will eat it topped with oat bran, wheat germ,
or crackers. That saves the trouble of boiling up a batch of rice.

Another thought is that tamales, so long as they are reasonably
fresh, freeze/reheat really well (either microwave or steaming). I
think you mentioned at some point you have a good source for tamales.

And best of luck with the medical process....

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 2, 1:22 pm, "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo® > dropped egroups.com:in
> rec.food.cooking
>
> > I certainly wouldn't leave MY spouse that "busycooks" garbage, and
> > expect her to eat it. Pizza would be much better.

> <shrug> So stock up on frozen pizza for your spouse when you go in to the
> hospital for inpatient surgery.

Um, I don't know that she's ever baked a frozen pizza. I was thinking
pickup or delivery.

> As for myself I'd make some soup/stew and
> put it in individual containers in the freezer. I'd make a big lasagne
> and freeze it in individual servings. Steven isn't real big on
> casseroles

I always thought of "casseroles" as something that old-fashioned
housewives made when they wanted their husbands to take them out to a
restaurant:

Hubby: [getting home from work] Hi, honey, what's for dinner?
Wife: Tuna noodle casserole.
Hubby: You know, sweetheart, it's been a long time since I've taken
you out to a nice restaurant.

> so I'd make plenty of ground beef patties and freeze them.

She would not be able to transform "those things" into burgers.

> I'd also brown a couple of pounds of ground beef and freeze it. He could
> thaw and warm it up and make tacos or whatever else he wanted.

That is also beyond my dearly beloved's skill level.

> Michael
>
> > --Bryan

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 12:34:16 -0700, Bobo Bonobo® >
wrote:

>On Nov 2, 1:22 pm, "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
>> Bobo Bonobo® > dropped egroups.com:in
>> rec.food.cooking
>>
>> > I certainly wouldn't leave MY spouse that "busycooks" garbage, and
>> > expect her to eat it. Pizza would be much better.

>> <shrug> So stock up on frozen pizza for your spouse when you go in to the
>> hospital for inpatient surgery.

>Um, I don't know that she's ever baked a frozen pizza. I was thinking
>pickup or delivery.
>
>> As for myself I'd make some soup/stew and
>> put it in individual containers in the freezer. I'd make a big lasagne
>> and freeze it in individual servings. Steven isn't real big on
>> casseroles

>I always thought of "casseroles" as something that old-fashioned
>housewives made when they wanted their husbands to take them out to a
>restaurant:
>
>Hubby: [getting home from work] Hi, honey, what's for dinner?
>Wife: Tuna noodle casserole.
>Hubby: You know, sweetheart, it's been a long time since I've taken
>you out to a nice restaurant.
>
>> so I'd make plenty of ground beef patties and freeze them.

>She would not be able to transform "those things" into burgers.

So freeze them pre-cooked and all that has to be done is to put them
in the microwave for 60 seconds or so to heat them up...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > wrote

> I'm going into the hospital for surgery next week. I'll be gone for at
> least an overnight, and out of commission for a few days after that.

I hope it's nothing serious, good luck with your surgery.

> I want to leave frozen meals for James so that he doesn't end up ordering
> pizza the whole time I'm gone.

Maybe make up some kind of chicken dish like piccata that
can be reheated, or perhaps chicken parm?

Chicken cacchiatore? I find that reheats well. Include some
italian sausage and it won't be so repetative.

Maybe make a pot roast with vegetables, that's always good
for a few servings. A pot of chili. Minestrone. Mac n cheese.

That's the kind of stuff I like to pull out of my freezer, along
with pasta sauce, of course. If he's willing to boil up some
store bought frozen ravioli, that's a nice dinner. He's got to feed
you, too, for a few days, I imagine.

Good luck. Please let us know how you're doing.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo® > dropped this
> ups.com: in
> rec.food.cooking
>

>> To Goomba:
>> If you find out you're terminal, you could put some bullets into some
>> Fascists, as a thank you for their positions on health care issues.

> Don't EVEN get me started on that issue, especially in this forum. What
> kills me is most docs don't have a clue what is going on with insurance
> industry etc. They just want to treat patients. They want to practice what
> they studied so hard, and sacrificed so much, for. They don't give a shit
> about the financial end of it.
>
> Michael

'scuse me?!? Why is MY name attached to this post? I did admire the
greek casserole recipe sent in...I hope I'm not "terminal" any time
soon? LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> Serene > wrote:
>
>> What are you favorite freezable meals? Ideally, not hugely high in
>> fat, though that's not the most important thing. Most important
>> things are that it just has to be popped into the oven, and it's
>> tasty.

> We've had good luck recently freezing bean-based dishes like
> red beans and rice (minus the rice), Tuscan-style white bean
> soup (w/ kale

Oh, man, I love white bean soup. I'm definitely doing this.

> and a small fraction of either ham or bacon),
> and standard vegetarian chili. These heat best stovetop rather
> than oven though, if that's a consideration.

Chili's a good idea for James (I'm not a fan of the stuff); thanks.
And yeah, stovetop is fine, too. Gonna make some soups, but smooth
ones for me when I get back. I have some Andersen's split pea in the
cupboard, and I'm gonna make a pureed celeriac soup before I go. We
bought juice at the store today, and I have soymilk and
tea-and-honey. (I don't know if I said, but this surgery will make
my throat sore and my voice gravelly for at least a few days, and
possibly 2-3 weeks.)

<snip>
> And best of luck with the medical process....

Thanks!

Serene

--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a
heartless world, & the soul of soulless conditions. It is the
opium of the people." [Karl Marx]
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Serene" > wrote
>
>> I'm going into the hospital for surgery next week. I'll be gone for at
>> least an overnight, and out of commission for a few days after that.

> I hope it's nothing serious, good luck with your surgery.

It's pretty serious, but my chances are good; thanks! (If you want
to know more details, the TMI is at the end of this post, after my
..sig quote.)

>> I want to leave frozen meals for James so that he doesn't end up ordering
>> pizza the whole time I'm gone.

> Maybe make up some kind of chicken dish like piccata that
> can be reheated, or perhaps chicken parm?

That's a good idea, as are the rest of your suggestions, and I have
most of the stuff. Thanks!

> That's the kind of stuff I like to pull out of my freezer, along
> with pasta sauce, of course. If he's willing to boil up some
> store bought frozen ravioli, that's a nice dinner. He's got to feed
> you, too, for a few days, I imagine.

He can actually cook, and he rolled his eyes at me when I said I
wanted to make stuff for him to have while I'm gone. He insists
that I instead make some smooth vegan soups for myself, so that I
have something quick and easy to eat when I get home, since most of
the things he cooks are probably going to be too harsh for my
throat. I have really good partners.

Serene
--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has
ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further. [Richard
Dawkins]

TMI: My left thyroid lobe is completely taken up by a big tumor.
The chances that it's cancer are small, but they couldn't tell from
the biopsy, so it needs to come out. If it's obviously cancer when
they get in there, they'll take the other one out, too, and I'll be
on thyroid meds for the rest of my life. Otherwise, I should be fine
and dandy in a few weeks. I'll have a little less vocal range,
though -- the nerves for the vocal cords are entwined with the blood
vessels that supply the thyroid, so they'll get a little banged up
in the process, but then I'll get most of my voice back, most probably.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> "Serene" > wrote
>>
>>> I'm going into the hospital for surgery next week. I'll be gone for at
>>> least an overnight, and out of commission for a few days after that.

>> I hope it's nothing serious, good luck with your surgery.

> It's pretty serious, but my chances are good; thanks! (If you want to know
> more details, the TMI is at the end of this post, after my .sig quote.)

(laugh) You know I'm nosy, but I'll give you your privacy.

> He can actually cook, and he rolled his eyes at me when I said I wanted to
> make stuff for him to have while I'm gone. He insists that I instead make
> some smooth vegan soups for myself, so that I have something quick and
> easy to eat when I get home, since most of the things he cooks are
> probably going to be too harsh for my throat. I have really good partners.

That's nice. He's right, you'd probably take more of a load off him
if he doesn't have to worry what you'll eat when you get home.

Take care of yourself.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> Chili's a good idea for James (I'm not a fan of the stuff); thanks.
> And yeah, stovetop is fine, too.

Now that you mention it, consider foods he loves but you don't care for.
Now would be a good time to think of those.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
> Serene > wrote:
>
>> Chili's a good idea for James (I'm not a fan of the stuff); thanks.
>> And yeah, stovetop is fine, too.

> Now that you mention it, consider foods he loves but you don't care for.
> Now would be a good time to think of those.

Yep. I'm gonna make chili for him, since I don't like it. There's
also spaghetti and taco fixings in the cupboard, along with a lot of
lunchmeat and stuff. I'll bake a couple loaves of bread the day
before. I'm also going to make a white-bean soup, but puree it, and
a celeriac soup, ditto. I think I'll also take some of the grape
juice I bought and make popsicles out of it. Popsicles always help
my throat.

Oh, and I have farina for breakfasts. :-)

Serene
--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the
legislature is in session." -- Judge Gideon J. Tucker, 1866.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 2, 2:19 pm, Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 12:34:16 -0700, Bobo Bonobo® >
> wrote:
>

> >On Nov 2, 1:22 pm, "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
> >> Bobo Bonobo® > dropped legroups.com:in
> >> rec.food.cooking

> >> <shrug> So stock up on frozen pizza for your spouse when you go in to the
> >> hospital for inpatient surgery.

> >Um, I don't know that she's ever baked a frozen pizza. I was thinking
> >pickup or delivery.

> >> As for myself I'd make some soup/stew and
> >> put it in individual containers in the freezer. I'd make a big lasagne
> >> and freeze it in individual servings. Steven isn't real big on
> >> casseroles

> >I always thought of "casseroles" as something that old-fashioned
> >housewives made when they wanted their husbands to take them out to a
> >restaurant:

> >Hubby: [getting home from work] Hi, honey, what's for dinner?
> >Wife: Tuna noodle casserole.
> >Hubby: You know, sweetheart, it's been a long time since I've taken
> >you out to a nice restaurant.

> >> so I'd make plenty of ground beef patties and freeze them.

> >She would not be able to transform "those things" into burgers.

> So freeze them pre-cooked and all that has to be done is to put them
> in the microwave for 60 seconds or so to heat them up...

Um, we don't have a microwave. It never moved over with us a year and
a half ago.

Also, microwaved pre-cooked burgers are not something she'd eat unless
she was pretty desperate. I don't think she's had a fast food burger
in 20 years. Nor has she had any sort of hamburger that was not
cooked over a flame in just as long.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> "Serene" > wrote
>>
>>> I'm going into the hospital for surgery next week. I'll be gone for at
>>> least an overnight, and out of commission for a few days after that.

>> I hope it's nothing serious, good luck with your surgery.

> Serene
> --
> Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:
>
> We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has
> ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further. [Richard
> Dawkins]

<<Snippy the details>>

If he likes breakfast for supper perhaps a breakfast casserole (like this
one http://www.recipezaar.com/32445) would be a nice change perhaps with a
side of fresh fruit.

A nice pot of cream of tomato soup frozen in two serving portions and the
supplies for him to fix a grilled cheese to go with it.

Meatloaf freezes well and he can always cheat and add a side of "instant"
mashed potatoes.

Broccoli and chicken casserole. White sauce base with cheddar and parm,
broccoli florets, chunked chicken, a cup or so of cooked rice, and
mushrooms. Freezes well in small disposable aluminum loaf pans so it's just
a meal for him and not a whole casserole to try and finish off before it
gets boring. Yes it's old fashioned but hey if it works.

I've had two similar throat surgeries and was really thankful for a doctor
who gave me my pain medicine in liquid form so there were no pills to try
and get down, just a suggestion. And for you tuck away a nice choice of
frozen fruit, frozen soy yogurt and splash of juice makes a great smoothie
and it easy on the newly raw throat. Go easy on the juice it can burn. If
protein intake is a worry you can always add protein powder to your
smoothies or soups.

Carbonation is a really bad idea. Since you won't be swallowing as quickly
or easily as usual it can make it's way up your nose. That was a rude
awakening no one warned me about.

Sorry I got off on a tangent there about what might work for you and not all
what you can freeze for your sweetie. I hope you get lots of ideas that will
work and keep him well fed.

Good Luck

Cindi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > <snip>

> TMI: My left thyroid lobe is completely taken up by a big tumor.
> The chances that it's cancer are small, but they couldn't tell from
> the biopsy, so it needs to come out. If it's obviously cancer when
> they get in there, they'll take the other one out, too, and I'll be
> on thyroid meds for the rest of my life. Otherwise, I should be fine
> and dandy in a few weeks. I'll have a little less vocal range,
> though -- the nerves for the vocal cords are entwined with the blood
> vessels that supply the thyroid, so they'll get a little banged up
> in the process, but then I'll get most of my voice back, most probably.

Sounds dire but good luck!

As for freezable meals, any meat and vegetable stew/thick soup will do.
Chile freezes well too. We do freeze pasta dishes but the pasta does get
a little soft upon thawing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > wrote

> It's pretty serious, but my chances are good; thanks! (If you want to know
> more details, the TMI is at the end of this post, after my .sig quote.)

Oh, man, I completely misunderstood what you said here.

> TMI: My left thyroid lobe is completely taken up by a big tumor. The
> chances that it's cancer are small, but they couldn't tell from the
> biopsy, so it needs to come out.

This is serious!

> If it's obviously cancer when they get in there, they'll take the other
> one out, too, and I'll be on thyroid meds for the rest of my life.
> Otherwise, I should be fine and dandy in a few weeks. I'll have a little
> less vocal range, though -- the nerves for the vocal cords are entwined
> with the blood vessels that supply the thyroid, so they'll get a little
> banged up in the process, but then I'll get most of my voice back, most
> probably.

What an ordeal. I recommend soup. (smile) You'll be in my thoughts.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Bobo Bonobo® > posted on Fri,
02 Nov 2007 12:34:16 -0700:

> Wife: Tuna noodle casserole.
> Hubby: You know, sweetheart, it's been a long time since I've taken
> you out to a nice restaurant.

I don't know what the big deal is about tuna casserole. People joke about
it, but I love tuna casserole. I make mine with fancy white albacore tuna,
a can of cream of chicken, a can of cream of mushroom (whirled in a blender
with milk until the mushroom bits are pureed), and I also add some cheese
of some kind to it and a few herbs and/or spices. I put the potato chips
(sour cream and onion ones) into a food processor and whirl them around
until they're crumbs.

Maybe my doctored version is better than the classic tuna casserole, but I
love it.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > wrote in message
> Hi, Gang,
>
> I'm going into the hospital for surgery next week. I'll be gone for at
> least an overnight, and out of commission for a few days after that. I
> want to leave frozen meals for James so that he doesn't end up ordering
> pizza the whole time I'm gone. There's nothing wrong with pizza; he just
> ends up eating pizza and hot dogs for every meal if I am not home to cook
> and there's nothing easy in the house. He's diabetic, and it's best if he
> eats more varied and wholesome foods, in general. He prefers it, too. And
> I like cooking for him, and for the rest of my family and friends.
>
> What are you favorite freezable meals? Ideally, not hugely high in fat,
> though that's not the most important thing. Most important things are that
> it just has to be popped into the oven, and it's tasty. Cheap would be a
> bonus, too, as we're kind of strapped, and with a 60/40 insurance plan,
> that's not going to change any time soon. Don't get me started on the
> state of health insurance in this country. *deep breaths*
>
> Anyway.
>
> Yesterday, we had a chicken enchilada casserole from that batch I made the
> other week, but those are gone now, so I want to put in at least a couple
> things to tide the family over while I'm on my back (and not in that nice
> way that we like).
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!

I sometimes cook up plain chicken breasts for my daughter, seasoning them
with only salt, pepper and parsley. That way they can be added to a variety
of foods and seasoned as need be. A quick meal for her would be a chicken
breast, rice (I buy precooked at Trader Joe's) and a vegetable. But being
as he is diabetic, he may not be able to do the rice.

You could do soups or stews. Hamburger stew is inexpensive. And you can
vary the vegetables depending on how many carbs he can eat.

Chili is another dish that freezes well. With or without beans. One really
quick vegetarian recipe is to take three cans of beans (different kinds) one
can of corn and a large jar of salsa. Mix them together and heat through.
Add cooked meat to this if you want it less carby. The original recipe was
served over a bed of rice but since I'm diabetic too, I don't eat the rice.
Top with cheese, sour cream, guacamole and chopped fresh veggies and herbs
like cilantro, onion, tomato, etc. Garnish with chips if desired.

I went through a taco salad phase until I burned myself out on them. Cooked
up a bunch of ground beef with plenty of chili powder, chopped onions and
peppers. Portioned it out into individual servings and put it in the
freezer. You could also do ground turkey or diced chicken if you prefer.
Come serving time, put the meat in a large bowl and nuke it till hot. Then
add whatever toppings you like. Obviously the meat will be on the bottom of
the bowl and the rest on top of it. Sort of upside down but it works. Add
cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, peppers, sour cream, guacamole, salsa,
beans, chips, etc. Makes a super quick and healthy meal.

If you have microwavable dishes that are freezer safe, you could do single
serve casseroles, like tuna and noodles or cottage pie. With the cottage
pie, use meat, gravy and non starchy vegetables on the bottom layer. The
top layer of mashed potatoes can be as thin or as thick as you like.

It's not frozen, but hummus makes a good meal. I eat it quite a lot. A few
wedges of pita, flat bread or crackers, some olives and plenty of raw
veggies.

You might also do up a few large meal type salads before you go. These will
keep for a few days. Include things like wedges of hard boiled egg, chopped
meats and cheeses and maybe a few nuts for protein.

Or you could just have things prepared in the fridge. My husband is a real
lazy bones and can't be bothered to heat something up let alone cut it up.
I'll boil a whole carton of eggs at a time, labeling it "hard boiled". I'll
get a large chunk of cheese and cut it into cubes. Cut up raw veggies and
put them in a container. Stuff like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 08:46:57 -0700, Serene wrote:
>
>> What are you favorite freezable meals?

> Stouffers Sweedish Meatballs :-)

Actually when I lived on the East Coast, I used to buy those On Cor meals
from time to time. They were cheap, quick to fix and some of them weren't
too bad. I can't say I liked all of them. But they were not bad for a
frozen meal. I also like the stuffed peppers from Stouffers.

For meatballs, I think I usually bought Hormel. Not sure if you can get
them in civilian stores. I bought them at the military commissary. My
Italian inlaws thought I made them from scratch. I did make the sauce from
scratch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 02 Nov 2007 08:46:57a, Serene meant to say...

> Hi, Gang,
>
> I'm going into the hospital for surgery next week. I'll be gone for
> at least an overnight, and out of commission for a few days after
> that.

The very best of luck with your surgery, Serene. I can't really offer any
suggestions, as I never freeze dishes for later heating/cooking. I only
freeze raw ingredients. I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions from
others here.

--
Wayne Boatwright

(to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)

Reality is nothing but a collective hunch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 08:46:57 -0700, Serene wrote:
>
>> What are you favorite freezable meals?

> Stouffers Sweedish Meatballs :-)
>
> -sw

I love those!

I like the Bertolli asparagus and shrimp in tomato cream sauce with
pasta bags in the freezer section on nights that I have no time to cook.

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 08:46:57 -0700, Serene wrote:
>>
>>> What are you favorite freezable meals?

>> Stouffers Sweedish Meatballs :-)

> Actually when I lived on the East Coast, I used to buy those On Cor meals
> from time to time. They were cheap, quick to fix and some of them weren't
> too bad. I can't say I liked all of them. But they were not bad for a
> frozen meal. I also like the stuffed peppers from Stouffers.
>
> For meatballs, I think I usually bought Hormel. Not sure if you can get
> them in civilian stores. I bought them at the military commissary. My
> Italian inlaws thought I made them from scratch. I did make the sauce from
> scratch.

The hormel meatballs are good.

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> What an ordeal. I recommend soup. (smile) You'll be in my thoughts.

Thanks!

MMMmmmmmm, souuuuuup. :-)

Serene, soup fiend

--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as
are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my
neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no God. It neither
picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damaeus" > wrote in message
> In news:rec.food.cooking, Bobo Bonobo® > posted on Fri,
> 02 Nov 2007 12:34:16 -0700:
>
>> Wife: Tuna noodle casserole.
>> Hubby: You know, sweetheart, it's been a long time since I've taken
>> you out to a nice restaurant.

> I don't know what the big deal is about tuna casserole. People joke about
> it, but I love tuna casserole. I make mine with fancy white albacore
> tuna,
> a can of cream of chicken, a can of cream of mushroom (whirled in a
> blender
> with milk until the mushroom bits are pureed), and I also add some cheese
> of some kind to it and a few herbs and/or spices. I put the potato chips
> (sour cream and onion ones) into a food processor and whirl them around
> until they're crumbs.
>
> Maybe my doctored version is better than the classic tuna casserole, but I
> love it.

I put peas in mine. Can't do the cream soup any more because of food
allergies. I made a sauce of chopped mushrooms, onion and celery. I cook
them till soft then add some sweet rice flour and water to make it more
creamy. Season with salt, pepper and parsley. I also can't use regular
paasta. Have to use quinoa, rice or corn pasta. I think quinoa tastes the
best with the tuna.

I don't put the chips on mine because we usually have leftover and it gets
soggy. I just serve it with them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damaeus" > wrote in message
> In news:rec.food.cooking, Bobo Bonobo® > posted on Fri,
> 02 Nov 2007 12:34:16 -0700:
>
>> Wife: Tuna noodle casserole.
>> Hubby: You know, sweetheart, it's been a long time since I've taken
>> you out to a nice restaurant.

> I don't know what the big deal is about tuna casserole. People joke about
> it, but I love tuna casserole. I make mine with fancy white albacore
> tuna,
> a can of cream of chicken, a can of cream of mushroom (whirled in a
> blender
> with milk until the mushroom bits are pureed), and I also add some cheese
> of some kind to it and a few herbs and/or spices. I put the potato chips
> (sour cream and onion ones) into a food processor and whirl them around
> until they're crumbs.
>
> Maybe my doctored version is better than the classic tuna casserole

No, it is not.

, but I
> love it.

That's the important thing.

I like to use fresh ingredients--milk and cheese, not canned soups and no
potato chips ... if I ate stuff that salty I'd blow up into something that
looks
like Sheldon. *shudder*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > wrote in message

I have no food recommendations, Serene, but best of health in your surgery
and overnight stay. I hope you recover fast.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damaeus wrote:
> In news:rec.food.cooking, Bobo Bonobo® > posted on
> Fri, 02 Nov 2007 12:34:16 -0700:
>
>> Wife: Tuna noodle casserole.
>> Hubby: You know, sweetheart, it's been a long time since I've taken
>> you out to a nice restaurant.

> I don't know what the big deal is about tuna casserole. People joke
> about it, but I love tuna casserole. I make mine with fancy white
> albacore tuna, a can of cream of chicken, a can of cream of mushroom
> (whirled in a blender with milk until the mushroom bits are pureed),
> and I also add some cheese of some kind to it and a few herbs and/or
> spices. I put the potato chips (sour cream and onion ones) into a
> food processor and whirl them around until they're crumbs.
>
> Maybe my doctored version is better than the classic tuna casserole,
> but I love it.
>
> Damaeus

I'm glad you love it I wouldn't waste money on fancy Albacore tuna only
to add it to canned soups mixed with milk, but that's just me.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 15:58:08 -0700, Bobo Bonobo® >
wrote:

>On Nov 2, 2:19 pm, Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:
>> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 12:34:16 -0700, Bobo Bonobo® >
>> wrote:

>> >Um, I don't know that she's ever baked a frozen pizza. I was thinking
>> >pickup or delivery.

>> >I always thought of "casseroles" as something that old-fashioned
>> >housewives made when they wanted their husbands to take them out to a
>> >restaurant:

>> >Hubby: [getting home from work] Hi, honey, what's for dinner?
>> >Wife: Tuna noodle casserole.
>> >Hubby: You know, sweetheart, it's been a long time since I've taken
>> >you out to a nice restaurant.

>> >She would not be able to transform "those things" into burgers.

>> So freeze them pre-cooked and all that has to be done is to put them
>> in the microwave for 60 seconds or so to heat them up...

>Um, we don't have a microwave. It never moved over with us a year and
>a half ago.
>
>Also, microwaved pre-cooked burgers are not something she'd eat unless
>she was pretty desperate. I don't think she's had a fast food burger
>in 20 years. Nor has she had any sort of hamburger that was not
>cooked over a flame in just as long.
>
>--Bryan

for an incompetent cook, she's pretty ****ing picky.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 16:50:47 GMT, blake murphy >
wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 15:58:08 -0700, Bobo Bonobo® >
>wrote:
>
>>On Nov 2, 2:19 pm, Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:

>>> So freeze them pre-cooked and all that has to be done is to put them
>>> in the microwave for 60 seconds or so to heat them up...

>>Um, we don't have a microwave. It never moved over with us a year and
>>a half ago.
>>
>>Also, microwaved pre-cooked burgers are not something she'd eat unless
>>she was pretty desperate. I don't think she's had a fast food burger
>>in 20 years. Nor has she had any sort of hamburger that was not
>>cooked over a flame in just as long.
>>
>>--Bryan

>for an incompetent cook, she's pretty ****ing picky.

Which is how she stays slim.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> Hi, Gang,
>
> I'm going into the hospital for surgery next week. I'll be gone for
> at least an overnight, and out of commission for a few days after
> that. I want to leave frozen meals for James so that he doesn't end
> up ordering pizza the whole time I'm gone. There's nothing wrong
> with pizza; he just ends up eating pizza and hot dogs for every meal
> if I am not home to cook and there's nothing easy in the house. He's
> diabetic, and it's best if he eats more varied and wholesome foods,
> in general. He prefers it, too. And I like cooking for him, and for
> the rest of my family and friends.

Every once in a while, I broil and london broil and slice it up thinly
and freeze the slices in individual packages (about four or five slices
per package). They make for a quick entree and simply warm up in the
microwave oven.

Meatloaf is also a great thing to freeze, and you can make it low fat by
combining half ground turkey with half 90% ground beef.

For sides, how about those packages of Green Giant vegies?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cyberfellatrix blew us away with:

> "Damaeus" > wrote in message
> > In news:rec.food.cooking, Bobo Bonobo® > posted on

Fri,
> > 02 Nov 2007 12:34:16 -0700:
> >
> >> Wife: Tuna noodle casserole.
> >> Hubby: You know, sweetheart, it's been a long time since I've taken
> >> you out to a nice restaurant.

> > I don't know what the big deal is about tuna casserole. People joke

about
> > it, but I love tuna casserole. I make mine with fancy white albacore
> > tuna,
> > a can of cream of chicken, a can of cream of mushroom (whirled in a
> > blender
> > with milk until the mushroom bits are pureed), and I also add some

cheese
> > of some kind to it and a few herbs and/or spices. I put the potato chips
> > (sour cream and onion ones) into a food processor and whirl them around
> > until they're crumbs.
> >
> > Maybe my doctored version is better than the classic tuna casserole

> No, it is not.
>
> , but I
> > love it.
> >

> That's the important thing.
>
> I like to use fresh ingredients--milk and cheese, not canned soups and no
> potato chips ... if I ate stuff that salty I'd blow up into something that
> looks
> like Sheldon. *shudder*

Naw, you'd just continue to "blow" as per yer usual...

--
Best
Greg

"I am smarter than you think I am"
- Maryanne "Loafhead" Kehoe to me
in alt.gossip.celebrities

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 17:02:17 -0400, Stan Horwitz
> wrote:

>Meatloaf is also a great thing to freeze, and you can make it low fat by
>combining half ground turkey with half 90% ground beef.

Good grief. WHY? Meatloaf isn't very good to begin with and then you
do that to it????

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

>> Also, microwaved pre-cooked burgers are not something she'd eat unless
>> she was pretty desperate. I don't think she's had a fast food burger
>> in 20 years. Nor has she had any sort of hamburger that was not
>> cooked over a flame in just as long.
>>
>> --Bryan

> for an incompetent cook, she's pretty ****ing picky.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I had the same thought. There's no idea that has pleased yet.

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> <sf> wrote in message ...
>> On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 17:02:17 -0400, Stan Horwitz
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Meatloaf is also a great thing to freeze, and you can make it low fat by
>>> combining half ground turkey with half 90% ground beef.

>> Good grief. WHY? Meatloaf isn't very good to begin with and then you
>> do that to it????
>>

> I really can't stand the best meatloaf. My husband's mother doomed me to
> have to produce it, though. I'd rather have whole meat.

I agree..can't stand the stuff. Scott loves it however, so I make it
along with baked macaroni and just eat the macaroni.

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 17:02:17 -0400, Stan Horwitz
> > wrote:
>

>>Meatloaf is also a great thing to freeze, and you can make it low fat by
>>combining half ground turkey with half 90% ground beef.

> Good grief. WHY? Meatloaf isn't very good to begin with and then you
> do that to it????

I really can't stand the best meatloaf. My husband's mother doomed me to
have to produce it, though. I'd rather have whole meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 03 Nov 2007 11:17:06p, ravenlynne meant to say...

> cybercat wrote:
>> <sf> wrote in message ...
>>> On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 17:02:17 -0400, Stan Horwitz

by
>>> Good grief. WHY? Meatloaf isn't very good to begin with and then you
>>> do that to it????
>>>

>> I really can't stand the best meatloaf. My husband's mother doomed me to
>> have to produce it, though. I'd rather have whole meat.
>>

> I agree..can't stand the stuff. Scott loves it however, so I make it
> along with baked macaroni and just eat the macaroni.

I love a good meatloaf (mine), but I detest turkey in any form. There's no
way I would make or eat that. Ground turkey has to be one of the most
godawful things ever offered up as a meat product.

At Thanksgiving I roast an obligatory turkey breast for the SO. I will eat
one slice just after it's been roasted. After that, nada. For myself, at
Thanksgiving, I roast a chicken.

--
Wayne Boatwright

(to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)

It's lonely at the top, but you eat better.