Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

Default Common foods made in China? (sent to USA)

canned tuna, including albacore
various packaged fruits (like Del Monte and Dole brand)

Is there any way to find out where common foods are made?

Any other common foods made in China that most of us might not
know about?

I am surprised that so many baby products are made in China,
including baby bottles, pacifiers, and teething rings. Apparently
saving a few pennies has been a consumers' only concern over the
last decade or so.
Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

"John Doe" > wrote in message
> canned tuna, including albacore
> various packaged fruits (like Del Monte and Dole brand)
>
> Is there any way to find out where common foods are made?
>
> Any other common foods made in China that most of us might not
> know about?
>
> I am surprised that so many baby products are made in China,
> including baby bottles, pacifiers, and teething rings. Apparently
> saving a few pennies has been a consumers' only concern over the
> last decade or so.

That Jack Link beef jerky comes from China. So you're not 'messin' with
Bigfoot, you're screwing around with a Yeti.
-ginny

Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

John Doe wrote

> canned tuna, including albacore
> various packaged fruits (like Del Monte and Dole brand)

> Is there any way to find out where common foods are made?

Not usually. Most labelling at most says that imported ingredients are used.

> Any other common foods made in China that most of us might not know about?

Plenty of vegetables and frozen fruit etc comes from china now.

> I am surprised that so many baby products are made in
> China, including baby bottles, pacifiers, and teething rings.
> Apparently saving a few pennies has been a consumers'
> only concern over the last decade or so.

It isnt just saving pennys, quite a bit of the time it isnt
even possible to find stuff that isnt made in china now.

Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message

> "John Doe" > wrote in message
>> canned tuna, including albacore
>> various packaged fruits (like Del Monte and Dole brand)
>>
>> Is there any way to find out where common foods are made?
>>
>> Any other common foods made in China that most of us might not
>> know about?
>>
>> I am surprised that so many baby products are made in China,
>> including baby bottles, pacifiers, and teething rings. Apparently
>> saving a few pennies has been a consumers' only concern over the
>> last decade or so.

> That Jack Link beef jerky comes from China. So you're not 'messin' with
> Bigfoot, you're screwing around with a Yeti.
> -ginny

lol

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

John Doe wrote:

> I am surprised that so many baby products are made in China,
> including baby bottles, pacifiers, and teething rings. Apparently
> saving a few pennies has been a consumers' only concern over the
> last decade or so.

I doubt the savings is really passed to the consumer.
There's a certain price people will pay for such
things, and you won't find these items much cheaper
than that. I suspect Wal-Mart pockets most of the
savings from moving production to China.

Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 07:42:30 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:

> John Doe wrote:
>>
>> I am surprised that so many baby products are made in China,
>> including baby bottles, pacifiers, and teething rings. Apparently
>> saving a few pennies has been a consumers' only concern over the
>> last decade or so.

> I doubt the savings is really passed to the consumer.
> There's a certain price people will pay for such
> things, and you won't find these items much cheaper
> than that. I suspect Wal-Mart pockets most of the
> savings from moving production to China.

that's an interesting question. what is the profit margin for wal-mart
compared to a typical grocery store (most of whose margins are razor-thin,
less-than-one to two percent).

hmm, this source says 3.54%:

<http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=WMT>

but groceries aren't the only thing they sell.

your pal,
blake
Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

On 7/9/2010 10:42 AM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> John Doe wrote:
>>
>> I am surprised that so many baby products are made in China,
>> including baby bottles, pacifiers, and teething rings. Apparently
>> saving a few pennies has been a consumers' only concern over the
>> last decade or so.

> I doubt the savings is really passed to the consumer.
> There's a certain price people will pay for such
> things, and you won't find these items much cheaper
> than that. I suspect Wal-Mart pockets most of the
> savings from moving production to China.

I would say it is the few pennies as stated.

Walmarts thing is to squeeze the suppliers and employees as much as
possible regardless how it affects others so they can put more money in
the truck that goes back to Arkansas.
Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa gmail.com> wrote:

> John Doe wrote
>
>> canned tuna, including albacore various packaged fruits (like
>> Del Monte and Dole brand)

>> Is there any way to find out where common foods are made?

> Not usually. Most labelling at most says that imported
> ingredients are used.
>
>> Any other common foods made in China that most of us might not
>> know about?

> Plenty of vegetables and frozen fruit etc comes from china now.
>
>> I am surprised that so many baby products are made in China,
>> including baby bottles, pacifiers, and teething rings.
>> Apparently saving a few pennies has been a consumers' only
>> concern over the last decade or so.

> It isnt just saving pennys, quite a bit of the time it isnt even
> possible to find stuff that isnt made in china now.

It happened little by little over time, that situation did not
come about overnight, it began with pathetic leadership and a
consumers desire to save a few pennies... Without regard to
putting our fellow Democratic countrymen out of work, without
concern for using slave labor (in China), and without concern
about the materials and workmanship.
--

> From: "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa gmail.com>
> Newsgroups: misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking
> Subject: Common foods made in China? (sent to USA)
> Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 17:01:39 +1000

Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> John Doe wrote:

>> I am surprised that so many baby products are made in China,
>> including baby bottles, pacifiers, and teething rings. Apparently
>> saving a few pennies has been a consumers' only concern over
>> the last decade or so.

> I doubt the savings is really passed to the consumer.

They are anyway. Have a look at the prices we now pay for low cost
consumer goods, most obviously with the lowest cost T shirts etc etc etc.

> There's a certain price people will pay for such things,
> and you won't find these items much cheaper than that.

That is just plain wrong. The lowest price T shirts etc are much cheaper than they used to be.

Power tools etc in spades.

> I suspect Wal-Mart pockets most of the
> savings from moving production to China.

The consumer still gets much lower prices anyway.

And its completely trivial to cut out the middle man and deal with the chinese directly if you want to too.

Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

John Doe wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa gmail.com> wrote
>> John Doe wrote

>>> canned tuna, including albacore various packaged
>>> fruits (like Del Monte and Dole brand)

>>> Is there any way to find out where common foods are made?

>> Not usually. Most labelling at most says that imported ingredients are used.

>>> Any other common foods made in China that most of us might not know about?

>> Plenty of vegetables and frozen fruit etc comes from china now.

>>> I am surprised that so many baby products are made in China,
>>> including baby bottles, pacifiers, and teething rings.

>>> Apparently saving a few pennies has been a consumers' only
>>> concern over the last decade or so.

>> It isnt just saving pennys, quite a bit of the time it isnt even
>> possible to find stuff that isnt made in china now.

> It happened little by little over time, that situation did not come about overnight,

Yes, it takes a while for an operation like china to get its act into gear.

> it began with pathetic leadership

Nope, nothing to do with leadership in the US at all, everything to
do with china waking up and smelling the coffee and noticing that
capitalism works a hell of a lot better than communism does.

> and a consumers desire to save a few pennies...

They are saving a hell of a lot more than just a few pennys.

> Without regard to putting our fellow Democratic countrymen out of work,

Thats a lie. The unemployment rate bottomed at 4.x% with an immense
legal and illegal immigration rate and the participation rate at an all time
historic high just before the clowns were allowed to completely implode
the entire world financial system, again.

> without concern for using slave labor (in China),

Another lie. You dont pay slaves, you flog them to make them do what you want them to do.

> and without concern about the materials and workmanship.

Plenty are concerned, but not prepared to pay a lot more for
what may not be any better materials and workmanship wise.

Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

"John Doe" > wrote in message
> canned tuna, including albacore
> various packaged fruits (like Del Monte and Dole brand)
>
> Is there any way to find out where common foods are made?
>
> Any other common foods made in China that most of us might not
> know about?

Just look at the fine print on the packets of fish etc in the freezer
section.
Wild Pacific pink salmon is not from Alaska or Canada but China.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Doe wrote:

> I am surprised that so many baby products are made in China,
> including baby bottles, pacifiers, and teething rings. Apparently
> saving a few pennies has been a consumers' only concern over the
> last decade or so.

I am surprised to see this mentioned so often here. It's the
retailers' decision what to put on the shelf to offer the customer
and they have gone to Chinese manufacturing to increase profits.

If there's nothing available other than "made in China" I won't buy.
When there's no alternative and it's an essential item, what is the
customer supposed to do?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" wrote:
>John Doe wrote:
>>
>> I am surprised that so many baby products are made in China,
>> including baby bottles, pacifiers, and teething rings. Apparently
>> saving a few pennies has been a consumers' only concern over the
>> last decade or so.

>I am surprised to see this mentioned so often here. It's the
>retailers' decision what to put on the shelf to offer the customer
>and they have gone to Chinese manufacturing to increase profits.

There's no increased profits, there're actually lower profit margins
per unit on those inexpensive items... they make up the profits by
selling volume, mostly because those lower priced consumer goods are
not made very well therefore don't last very long... you can buy a tee
shirt at Walmart for $6 but it won't last more than six launderings
before it's a schmatah... I buy made in the US tees that cost like $20
but last years and years. The vast majority of folks price shop, they
do not quality shop.

And many manufactured items are made in countries that don't have
worker protection (OSHA), no minimum wage, and no EPA, which is why
manufacturing that pollutes has been moved to countries that don't
care about quality of life.

American made products are readily available but when yoose see the
prices you trot to Walmart, 99¢ Stores, and that ilk. And once folks
get used to the lower prices it's not possible to go back.... people
are short sighted, they don't care that a pair of shoes lasts like a
dozen wearings, so long as they can buy them so much cheaper than real
shoes... nowadays everyone buys everything throwaway, it's difficult
to find repair people anymore.

And once manufacturing moves elsewhere it doesn't come back. simply
because then there are no more skilled crafts people who know how to
make stuff.
Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
> On 7/9/2010 10:42 AM, Mark Thorson wrote:
>> John Doe wrote:
>>>
>>> I am surprised that so many baby products are made in China,
>>> including baby bottles, pacifiers, and teething rings. Apparently
>>> saving a few pennies has been a consumers' only concern over the
>>> last decade or so.

>> I doubt the savings is really passed to the consumer.
>> There's a certain price people will pay for such
>> things, and you won't find these items much cheaper
>> than that. I suspect Wal-Mart pockets most of the
>> savings from moving production to China.

> I would say it is the few pennies as stated.
>
> Walmarts thing is to squeeze the suppliers and employees as much as
> possible regardless how it affects others so they can put more money in
> the truck that goes back to Arkansas.

Having once worked for the Evil Empire located in Bentonville, you are more
right than you might believe....
-ginny

Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking,free.usenet

"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
>> John Doe wrote:

>>> I am surprised that so many baby products are made in China,
>>> including baby bottles, pacifiers, and teething rings.
>>> Apparently saving a few pennies has been a consumers' only
>>> concern over the last decade or so.

>> I doubt the savings is really passed to the consumer.

> They are anyway. Have a look at the prices we now pay for low
> cost consumer goods, most obviously with the lowest cost T
> shirts etc etc etc.

And only a "me first" "greed is good" "jobs Americans won't do"
(Australian) moron would not realize that sooner or later the
picnic is going to end.

>> There's a certain price people will pay for such things, and
>> you won't find these items much cheaper than that.

> That is just plain wrong.

Says Rod Speed, the troll extraordinaire.

> The lowest price T shirts etc are much cheaper than they used to
> be.

Made with slave labor, with the cheapest materials.

> Power tools etc in spades.

Only in a vacuum. Some of those power tools are junk.

>> I suspect Wal-Mart pockets most of the savings from moving
>> production to China.

> The consumer still gets much lower prices anyway.

Says the infamous nym-shifting troll.

> And its completely trivial to cut out the middle man and deal
> with the chinese directly if you want to too.

Only if you eliminated the design concerns, but then the troll
would not think of that since he knows nothing about engineering.
The problem is, besides employing slave labor, putting your fellow
countrymen out of work, and losing manufacturing capability, you
end up with garbage designs. I bought a Panasonic vacuum cleaner
not long ago that has to be the worst designed product I have ever
seen. Made in China, and probably designed in India or China too.
To further reduce costs, big companies move the design facilities
to China so that they are close to the production facilities.

And if you do not care about your fellow countrymen or using
slaves to make things for you, you might want to consider the
hazardous materials from lack of quality control.

One thing for sure, I do not want slaves to dictators who hate my
country to make my food...
--

> From: "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa gmail.com>
> Newsgroups: misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking
> Subject: Common foods made in China? (sent to USA)
> Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 03:47:56 +1000

Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking,free.usenet

John Doe wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa gmail.com> wrote
>> Mark Thorson wrote
>>> John Doe wrote

>>> I doubt the savings is really passed to the consumer.

>> They are anyway. Have a look at the prices we now pay for low cost
>> consumer goods, most obviously with the lowest cost T shirts etc etc etc.

> And only a "me first" "greed is good" "jobs Americans won't do" (Australian)
> moron would not realize that sooner or later the picnic is going to end.

There is no picnic, and it aint gunna end either.

America is STILL the world's top manufacturing country.
http://investing.curiouscatblog.net/...tries-in-2007/

>>> There's a certain price people will pay for such things,
>>> and you won't find these items much cheaper than that.

>> That is just plain wrong.

> Says Rod Speed, the troll extraordinaire.

You never ever could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Another pig ignorant lie. You dont pay slaves, ****wit.

Same materials everyone else uses, ****wit.

>> Power tools etc in spades.

> Only in a vacuum. Some of those power tools are junk.

Some of those made in the US were too.

>>> I suspect Wal-Mart pockets most of the savings from moving production to China.

>> The consumer still gets much lower prices anyway.

> Says the infamous nym-shifting troll.

You never ever could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

>> And its completely trivial to cut out the middle man
>> and deal with the chinese directly if you want to too.

> Only if you eliminated the design concerns,

Nope.

You dont pay slaves, ****wit.

> putting your fellow countrymen out of work,

Have fun explaining how come the unemployment rate bottomed at
4.x% with an immense legal and illegal immigration rate just before
your clowns were allowed to completely implode the entire world
financial system, AGAIN.

> and losing manufacturing capability,

America is STILL the world's top manufacturing country.
http://investing.curiouscatblog.net/...tries-in-2007/

> you end up with garbage designs.

No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing
you to buy a damned thing made in China, ****wit.

buy a damned thing designed in China or India, ****wit.

> To further reduce costs, big companies move the design facilities
> to China so that they are close to the production facilities.

No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to
buy a damned thing designed in China or India, ****wit.

> And if you do not care about your fellow countrymen

Have fun explaining how come the unemployment rate bottomed at
4.x% with an immense legal and illegal immigration rate just before
your clowns were allowed to completely implode the entire world
financial system, AGAIN.

> or using slaves to make things for you,

You dont pay slaves, ****wit.

> you might want to consider the hazardous materials from lack of quality control.

No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing
you to buy a damned thing made in China, ****wit.

> One thing for sure, I do not want slaves to dictators

You dont pay slaves, ****wit.

> who hate my country to make my food...

No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing
you to buy a damned thing made in China, ****wit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

>"John Doe" > wrote in message
. ..
>> canned tuna, including albacore
>> various packaged fruits (like Del Monte and Dole brand)
>>
>> Is there any way to find out where common foods are made?
>>
>> Any other common foods made in China that most of us might not
>> know about?

I had a list of bar-codes. ( and now I can't find it )

If I remember correctly,
the first 3 > 4 digits of the scan code reflected "Country of Origin"

A GOOGLE search might help....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<RJ> wrote:
>> "John Doe" > wrote in message
>>> canned tuna, including albacore
>>> various packaged fruits (like Del Monte and Dole brand)
>>>
>>> Is there any way to find out where common foods are made?
>>>
>>> Any other common foods made in China that most of us might not
>>> know about?

> I had a list of bar-codes. ( and now I can't find it )
>
> If I remember correctly,
> the first 3 > 4 digits of the scan code reflected "Country of Origin"

Forget about the list;
http://helpdesk.gs1.org/ArticleDetai...e-ed69a939da85
(http://preview.tinyurl.com/country-barcodes) says differently; and GS1
is the organization that allocates the bar codes to manufacturers or
packagers.

-j
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<RJ> wrote:
>> "John Doe" > wrote in message
>>> canned tuna, including albacore
>>> various packaged fruits (like Del Monte and Dole brand)
>>>
>>> Is there any way to find out where common foods are made?
>>>
>>> Any other common foods made in China that most of us might not
>>> know about?

> I had a list of bar-codes. ( and now I can't find it )
>
> If I remember correctly,
> the first 3 > 4 digits of the scan code reflected "Country of Origin"
>
> A GOOGLE search might help....

Not for produce. Assuming this is uniform among stores and
throughout the country, the first digit refers to whether the
product is organic or not. "9" means it is organic. Usually it
is a "4", which means it was grown in the conventional fashion. I
need to investigate whether transitional produce has another number.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> <RJ> wrote:

>> I had a list of bar-codes. ( and now I can't find it )
>>
>> If I remember correctly, the first 3 > 4 digits of the scan code
>> reflected "Country of Origin"
>>
>> A GOOGLE search might help....
>>

> Not for produce. Assuming this is uniform among stores and throughout
> the country, the first digit refers to whether the product is organic or
> not. "9" means it is organic. Usually it is a "4", which means it was
> grown in the conventional fashion. I need to investigate whether
> transitional produce has another number.

Store-specific. In UPC 4xxx is "reserved for local use
(store/warehouse), often for loyalty cards or store coupons" and 9xxx is
"Coupons" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Product_Code). Some
stores might (ab)use coupon codes for organic.
In EAN, 9xxx has a few countries (Australia, Austria), book codes (977
to 979), and coupon codes (981/982/99x). 4xx can be a few countries:
Germany, Russia, other parts of the former USSR, Hong Kong.

-j

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jack wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:

>>> I had a list of bar-codes. ( and now I can't find it )
>>>
>>> If I remember correctly, the first 3 > 4 digits of the scan code
>>> reflected "Country of Origin"
>>>
>>> A GOOGLE search might help....
>>>

>> Not for produce. Assuming this is uniform among stores and throughout
>> the country, the first digit refers to whether the product is organic
>> or not. "9" means it is organic. Usually it is a "4", which means it
>> was grown in the conventional fashion. I need to investigate whether
>> transitional produce has another number.
>>

> Store-specific. In UPC 4xxx is "reserved for local use
> (store/warehouse), often for loyalty cards or store coupons" and 9xxx is
> "Coupons" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Product_Code). Some
> stores might (ab)use coupon codes for organic.
> In EAN, 9xxx has a few countries (Australia, Austria), book codes (977
> to 979), and coupon codes (981/982/99x). 4xx can be a few countries:
> Germany, Russia, other parts of the former USSR, Hong Kong.
>
> -j

Thanks. I thought I had noticed this at two chains. I'll take a
closer look at chain number 2--and some other local stores.

--
Jean B.
Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

On 7/9/2010 7:42 PM, Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> > wrote in message

>>> I doubt the savings is really passed to the consumer.
>>> There's a certain price people will pay for such
>>> things, and you won't find these items much cheaper
>>> than that. I suspect Wal-Mart pockets most of the
>>> savings from moving production to China.

>> I would say it is the few pennies as stated.
>>
>> Walmarts thing is to squeeze the suppliers and employees as much as
>> possible regardless how it affects others so they can put more money in
>> the truck that goes back to Arkansas.

> Having once worked for the Evil Empire located in Bentonville, you are more
> right than you might believe....
> -ginny

I am a pro-capitalism person but walmart makes everyone look bad. On one
of my first "responsible" jobs I worked for a really smart and
successful businessman and it was one of the first jobs I had where I
had had the ability to negotiate with others. The guy I worked for had a
basic rule. It was that "the other guy had to eat". In other words keep
your moral compass engaged and treat them tough but fair.
Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

> I am a pro-capitalism person but walmart makes everyone look bad. On one
> of my first "responsible" jobs I worked for a really smart and
> successful businessman and it was one of the first jobs I had where I
> had had the ability to negotiate with others. The guy I worked for had a
> basic rule. It was that "the other guy had to eat". In other words keep
> your moral compass engaged and treat them tough but fair.

What a shame the Walton clan didn't inherit that business ethic.

gloria p
Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

On 7/8/2010 11:04 PM, John Doe wrote:
> canned tuna, including albacore
> various packaged fruits (like Del Monte and Dole brand)
>
> Is there any way to find out where common foods are made?
>
> Any other common foods made in China that most of us might not
> know about?

Mellorine? (no wait, that was melamine)

Bob
Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

On Jul 10, 9:01*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> On 7/8/2010 11:04 PM, John Doe wrote:
>
> > canned tuna, including albacore
> > various packaged fruits (like Del Monte and Dole brand)

> > Is there any way to find out where common foods are made?

> > Any other common foods made in China that most of us might not
> > know about?

> Mellorine? *(no wait, that was melamine)
>
> Bob

Back during the tainted pet food problem, 90% of wheat gluten used in
the USA came from China. That was both pet food and people food. I
would hope that has changed by now, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
news

> Supposedly you can tell if the roots are gone, I never buy garlic
> that is like that.
>
> I did buy fresh garlic at the farmers market this morning, can't wait
> to break into it.
> nancy

Do you mean that the bottom of the bulb is cut off? I try so hard to avoid
China stuff but I use lots of garlic.

Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

Phyllis Stone wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Supposedly you can tell if the roots are gone, I never buy garlic
>> that is like that.
>>
>> I did buy fresh garlic at the farmers market this morning, can't wait
>> to break into it.

> Do you mean that the bottom of the bulb is cut off? I try so hard to
> avoid China stuff but I use lots of garlic.

As I understand it, the garlic is irradiated and for that reason, the
roots fall off. If the garlic bulb is smooth, I don't buy it.

nancy
Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 11:18:44 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> Phyllis Stone wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> Supposedly you can tell if the roots are gone, I never buy garlic
>>> that is like that.
>>>
>>> I did buy fresh garlic at the farmers market this morning, can't wait
>>> to break into it.

>> Do you mean that the bottom of the bulb is cut off? I try so hard to
>> avoid China stuff but I use lots of garlic.

> As I understand it, the garlic is irradiated and for that reason, the
> roots fall off. If the garlic bulb is smooth, I don't buy it.
>
> nancy

i read this a while back from an australian blogger:

Want irradiated garlic? Go to the supermarket and buy Chinese garlic. I saw
documents the other day from the Chinese nuclear industry that gave the
specifications for the irradiation machines used in their garlic industry.

Three good ways to tell Chinese garlic:

1. The whole box will be all perfectly large and white. (Australian
buyers only buy the cosmetically perfect Chinese garlic)
2. There will be no roots on the bottom of the bulb. (Workers will have
cut these away to sped up the drying process)
3. It will have the Country of Origin label

<http://www.gmagazine.com.au/blog/521/is-your-garlic-irradiated>

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

>graham wrote:
>> > wrote

>> Back during the tainted pet food problem, 90% of wheat gluten used in
>> the USA came from China. That was both pet food and people food. I
>> would hope that has changed by now, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I can remember a time ( in the 80's )

when American business was DROOLING
at the idea of trade with China.

All they could see was "a billion new customners for their products"

It never occured to them that there might be
"a billion new competitors in the market"

The Soviets used to say;
"They'd sell us the rope with which we'd hang ourselves"
Apparently, the Chinese have perfected that business model.

Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 11:18:44 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

>> As I understand it, the garlic is irradiated and for that reason, the
>> roots fall off. If the garlic bulb is smooth, I don't buy it.

> i read this a while back from an australian blogger:
>
> Want irradiated garlic? Go to the supermarket and buy Chinese garlic.
> I saw documents the other day from the Chinese nuclear industry that
> gave the specifications for the irradiation machines used in their
> garlic industry.
>
> Three good ways to tell Chinese garlic:
>
> 1. The whole box will be all perfectly large and white. (Australian
> buyers only buy the cosmetically perfect Chinese garlic)
> 2. There will be no roots on the bottom of the bulb. (Workers will
> have cut these away to sped up the drying process)
> 3. It will have the Country of Origin label
>
> <http://www.gmagazine.com.au/blog/521/is-your-garlic-irradiated>

Thanks! Very interesting. We can easily find US garlic here, I'd be
annoyed if I was stuck with irradiated.

nancy

Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 15:30:52 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 11:18:44 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> As I understand it, the garlic is irradiated and for that reason, the
>>> roots fall off. If the garlic bulb is smooth, I don't buy it.

>> i read this a while back from an australian blogger:
>>
>> Want irradiated garlic? Go to the supermarket and buy Chinese garlic.
>> I saw documents the other day from the Chinese nuclear industry that
>> gave the specifications for the irradiation machines used in their
>> garlic industry.
>>
>> Three good ways to tell Chinese garlic:
>>
>> 1. The whole box will be all perfectly large and white. (Australian
>> buyers only buy the cosmetically perfect Chinese garlic)
>> 2. There will be no roots on the bottom of the bulb. (Workers will
>> have cut these away to sped up the drying process)
>> 3. It will have the Country of Origin label
>>
>> <http://www.gmagazine.com.au/blog/521/is-your-garlic-irradiated>

> Thanks! Very interesting. We can easily find US garlic here, I'd be
> annoyed if I was stuck with irradiated.
>
> nancy

i had never paid much attention to the roots/no roots thing.

in any case, i'm glad most of the garlic in the market looks much better
than it did a few years ago, which bordered on pitiful.

your pal,
blake
Posted to misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking

"John Doe" > wrote in message
> canned tuna, including albacore
> various packaged fruits (like Del Monte and Dole brand)
>
> Is there any way to find out where common foods are made?
>
> Any other common foods made in China that most of us might not
> know about?

You might want to check what kinds of rice and noodles are
from China.

Robert Miles