zxcvbob

Default Favorite brand of coffee?

FERRANTE wrote:

> What is your favorite brand of coffee and why do you like it? While I
> have always like Maxwell House, I have been exploring other coffees
> and recently ordered some from Cafe Du Monde. Anyone ever have it?
> I've also had Gevelia, and it's not bad, but sort of expensive. I
> plan on trying Starbucks soon.
>
> And you?
> Mark Ferrante

I like "Seaport" dark roast coffee. It's similar to "Community" dark roast
without the chicory. I just bought 5 pounds and brought them back from
Houston.

Believe it or not, Wal-mart's 100% Columbian coffee is pretty good. I like
it better than Folgers or Maryland Club, and it's cheaper.

Best regards,
Bob

Mark Shaw

In article >,
FERRANTE > wrote:
>What is your favorite brand of coffee and why do you like it?

Cafe Britt from Costa Rica. It's reasonably priced, it has
the nice dark Central-American roast that I love (although
you can get a lighter roast too), and it's just damned good.

I buy it by the case.

http://www.cafebritt.com

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"Find me one moment in the history of the Middle East in which an
Z GIRL

"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
> What is your favorite brand of coffee and why do you like it? While I
> have always like Maxwell House, I have been exploring other coffees
> and recently ordered some from Cafe Du Monde. Anyone ever have it?
> I've also had Gevelia, and it's not bad, but sort of expensive. I
> plan on trying Starbucks soon.
>
> And you?
> Mark Ferrante

I prefer coffee from Panera Bread or Tim Horton's. I buy Flogers at the
grocery store ( dark roast ). The worst coffee I have ever had is Caribou's
..

peace ,
Barbara

Mike Pearce

"Sheryl Rosen" wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:

> > They roast the chicory *roots* and add them to the coffee to extend it.

(I
> > think dandelion roots work, too.) It changes the taste, and some folks
> > develop a liking for it. I don't like the stuff.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Bob
> >

> Ick.
> I'll stick to Maxwell House.
> Thanks for the info.

I think that most of the companies who make coffee with chicory do a
horrible job. Cafe Du Monde (CDM) is the only one I think has a decent
taste. Given my druthers I drink plain dark roast coffee, black and strong.
I don't mind the CDM coffee I get when I go for beignets.

-Mike

Michel Boucher

Dans un moment de folie, FERRANTE
> écrivit:

> What is your favorite brand of coffee and why do you like it?
> While I have always like Maxwell House, I have been exploring
> other coffees and recently ordered some from Cafe Du Monde. Anyone
> ever have it? I've also had Gevelia, and it's not bad, but sort of
> expensive. I plan on trying Starbucks soon.

Terra - Cuban shade coffee
http://www.humaniterra.ca/

Bridgehead - Mexican Fair Trade, it's a dark roast
http://www.bridgehead.ca/

My wife also insists on buying Starbuck's Verona blend.

No canned stuff for us.

--

My trip to Asia begins here in Japan for an important
reason. It begins here because for a century-and-a-half

George Bush, 18 Feb 2002, Tokyo
Z GIRL

"Dog3" > wrote in message
03...
> Sheryl Rosen > deliciously posted in
> :
>
> > in article , Dog3 at
> > wrote on 10/19/03 12:10 PM:
> >
> >> Melba's Jammin' > deliciously posted in
> >> :

> >> Folger's or Maxwell House. Whichever is cheapest. We do buy
> >> specialty coffees. I like the cinnamon hazelnut the best. Brand?
> >> Again, whatever is the least expensive. Coffee and wine are 2
> >> mysteries in life I can not solve. Like wine, most coffee tastes the
> >> same to me.
> >>
> >> Michael

> > Hmm...I second that.
> > Folgers, Maxwell House, or Chock Full O Nuts.
> >
> > 100% Columbian, if I can get it. French Roast is nice and full bodied
> > without being burnt, too.
> >
> > Whichever is cheapest. Maxwell House is this week, so I'll get some of
> > that.
> >
> > I like cheap wine and cheap coffee, what can I say? ;-)
> >

> LOL... I can be had for cheap wine, coffee and a Winston ;-)
>
> Michael

Yeah me too Michael and boy does wine make me drunk ;-). I am proud to say
I gave up the cigarettes after smoking for 20 years! Still love my coffee
whether it be Flogers or Folgers ;-)

peace,
Barbara

MareCat

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 16:04:58 -0400, FERRANTE
> wrote:

>What is your favorite brand of coffee and why do you like it? While I
>have always like Maxwell House, I have been exploring other coffees
>and recently ordered some from Cafe Du Monde. Anyone ever have it?

Our supermarkets sell Cafe du Monde coffee. It's not bad, but I prefer
Community coffee.

Mary in Houston
alzelt

Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> FERRANTE wrote:
>

>>What is your favorite brand of coffee and why do you like it?

> My wife for some reason loves Chock Full Of Nuts (yuck). I prefer Maxwell
> House French Roast when buying ground coffee. When buying beans to grind
> myself, I have always liked chocolate raspberry truffle, brewed and then
> served with half-n-half. I've also found a few blends at the local Whole
> Foods Market that are very tastey: Black Onyx and Bed-n-Breakfast. I've
> been drinking them the past few months.
>
> (later addition)
>
> I noticed, while reading the rest of the thread, that there are alot of
> people who are talking Chock Full O'Nuts up. Strange to me, the flavor
> of the coffee just seems off to me...

Hmmm. How would you know? After all, you did say flavored coffee beans
and served with half and half. Sort of like a Charbucks customer
swearing that their beans are the best, even if they are only drinking a
double tall with vanilla!
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

A.T. Hagan

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 16:04:58 -0400, FERRANTE
> wrote:

>What is your favorite brand of coffee and why do you like it? While I
>have always like Maxwell House, I have been exploring other coffees
>and recently ordered some from Cafe Du Monde. Anyone ever have it?
>I've also had Gevelia, and it's not bad, but sort of expensive. I
>plan on trying Starbucks soon.
>
>And you?
>Mark Ferrante

I am not what one would call a coffee gourmet. I prefer Eight O'Clock
Bean Coffee. Grind it in the store, keep it in the freezer at home.
Always scrub percolator before the next pot. Seriously considering
getting my own coffee mill, but can't decide between the convenience
of an electric mill or going with a manual.

......Alan.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.

Gregory Morrow

Michel Boucher wrote:

> Terra - Cuban shade coffee
> http://www.humaniterra.ca/

Looks good, but since I'm in the States it is "forbidden fruit" :-(

--
Best
Greg
Gregory Morrow

Mike Pearce wrote:

> I think that most of the companies who make coffee with chicory do a
> horrible job. Cafe Du Monde (CDM) is the only one I think has a decent
> taste. Given my druthers I drink plain dark roast coffee, black and strong.
> I don't mind the CDM coffee I get when I go for beignets.

I buy my coffee and chicory separately, then mix them. Much better
than the canned CDM or whatever....

I've been buying Cafe Bustelo lately (as per Sheldon's
recommendation). Good and cheap (US $2.39 for a 10 ounce can)....

--
Best
Greg
Gregory Morrow

zxcvbob wrote:

> They roast the chicory *roots* and add them to the coffee to extend it. (I
> think dandelion roots work, too.) It changes the taste, and some folks
> develop a liking for it. I don't like the stuff.

You have to be careful as to the coffee - chicory ratio. Too much and
the coffee is undrinkable. I find chicory gives coffee a rich
"undertaste" - coffee without tastes weak and bitter. It's
indispensable!

--
Best
Greg
Darryl L. Pierce

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 23:55:07 +0000, alzelt wrote:

>> I noticed, while reading the rest of the thread, that there are alot of
>> people who are talking Chock Full O'Nuts up. Strange to me, the flavor
>> of the coffee just seems off to me...

> Hmmm. How would you know?

I've had it. I didn't like it.

> After all, you did say flavored coffee beans
> and served with half and half.

I describe one type of coffee that I drink that way.

> Sort of like a Charbucks customer
> swearing that their beans are the best, even if they are only drinking a
> double tall with vanilla!

Nah, I'm not Starbucks fan.

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/c/mcpierce>

Michel Boucher

Dans un moment de folie, (Gregory Morrow)
écrivit:

> Michel Boucher wrote:
>
>> Terra - Cuban shade coffee

http://www.humaniterra.ca/

> Looks good, but since I'm in the States it is "forbidden fruit" :-(

Sans commentaire.

--

My trip to Asia begins here in Japan for an important
reason. It begins here because for a century-and-a-half
now, America and Japan have formed one of the great and
enduring alliances of modern times. From that alliance
has come an era of peace in the Pacific.

George Bush, 18 Feb 2002, Tokyo
Julianne

"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
> What is your favorite brand of coffee and why do you like it? While I
> have always like Maxwell House, I have been exploring other coffees
> and recently ordered some from Cafe Du Monde. Anyone ever have it?
> I've also had Gevelia, and it's not bad, but sort of expensive. I
> plan on trying Starbucks soon.
>
> And you?
> Mark Ferrante

I love drinking coffee at Cafe Du Monde but never appreciated the coffee,
itself. I have tried all sorts of coffees and always return to Community
Coffee - medium roast.

Community also has their own little coffee shops called CC's where they sell
gourmet coffee beans. I have tried them but still go back to the medium
roast. I will confess that I absolutely hate the sound of the coffee
grinder in the morning so I tend to gravitate towards ground coffee.

Julianne

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> FERRANTE wrote:
>
> > What is your favorite brand of coffee and why do you like it? While I
> > have always like Maxwell House, I have been exploring other coffees
> > and recently ordered some from Cafe Du Monde. Anyone ever have it?
> > I've also had Gevelia, and it's not bad, but sort of expensive. I
> > plan on trying Starbucks soon.
> >
> > And you?
> > Mark Ferrante

> I like "Seaport" dark roast coffee. It's similar to "Community" dark

roast
> without the chicory. I just bought 5 pounds and brought them back from
> Houston.

Community Dark Roast does not have chickory in it. Rather, the New Orleans
Blend is the coffee and chickory product sold by Community. (It is a big
company here. I have friends who used to work there.)

> Believe it or not, Wal-mart's 100% Columbian coffee is pretty good. I

like
> it better than Folgers or Maryland Club, and it's cheaper.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

FERRANTE

Anyone try Cafe Du Monde??

Mark Ferrante
Dave

"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
| Anyone try Cafe Du Monde??

I have in their shop in New Orleans and from a can I bought locally. I liked
the cup I got in their shop, but didn't care for the cup I made myself, but
I do like the coffee and chicory blend by the French Market company.

Rick & Cyndi

"BubbaBob" > wrote in message
1...
: "Rick & Cyndi" > wrote:
:
: > There is one store bought that I still really like. I just
: > discovered it during a trip to Chicago... Trader Joe's has a
: > coffee that has Pinon nut (Pine nuts) from New Mexico in it.
: > WOW!! I wasn't going to tell anyone about it for fear that
: > everyone would buy all of it and make the price go up... but
: > since I live far enough from a Trader Joe's ... I guess it
won't
: > matter if I only tell you guys.
: >
: >
:
: It won't be around much longer. at least 3/4 of the piñon trees
in
: New mexico have been killed off in the last three years by pine
bark
: beetle infestation and severe drought. It will be 2 or 3
centuries
: before piñon availability is back to normal.
======

That really is a shame. I adore Pine nuts! Both in eating and
drinking.

Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Greg Zywicki

FERRANTE > wrote in message >. ..
> What is your favorite brand of coffee and why do you like it? While I
> have always like Maxwell House, I have been exploring other coffees
> and recently ordered some from Cafe Du Monde. Anyone ever have it?
> I've also had Gevelia, and it's not bad, but sort of expensive. I
> plan on trying Starbucks soon.
>
> And you?
> Mark Ferrante

I am no expert, but I've been trying the varieties availlable at Cost
Plus World Market. So far, I've found Guatemallen and Colombian.
Sumatra is allright. Kenyan I find horrible - tastes like daylabor
sweat. I don't remember what my opinion of Costa Riccan was. All
sell for $5.99 US for a 12 oz bag (whole beans)

Am I the only one who prefers the 2 tablespoons per 6 oz cup stuff?

Also, I'm sure I'm the only one without the ridiculous American
disdain for sweetener and dairy in coffee. You can drink black
coffee. You can also eat bread without butter, ice cream without
chocolate sauce, hot dogs without ketchup (er, mustard) and pasta
without grated cheese. But don't be so smuggly superior towards
others who opt for a food's natural condiments.

Greg Zywicki

Although I do drink my teas neat.
Nancy Young

Greg Zywicki wrote:

> Also, I'm sure I'm the only one without the ridiculous American
> disdain for sweetener and dairy in coffee.

I had to read this three times to make sure I hadn't read it wrong.
I've stood on enough coffee cart/cafeteria lines to know that's not
true. Cream and sugar, just about everyone. I no longer drink
coffee, but I had it with light cream ... I'd settle for half and
half, but would do without if only milk was available. No sugar
for me.

But there were people, honest to goodness, would use 10 packets of
sugar in one cup of coffee. As in, would you like some coffee with
your sugar? Not so much disdain as does that sugar even melt!!???

nancy

Rick & Cyndi

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
: Greg Zywicki wrote:
:
[...]
---------

<giggle>

Yep. I worked with a former Brit that took 12+ sugars and 3
packets of creamer... It didn't even *look* like coffee when she
was done with it.
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Greg Zywicki > wrote:

> Also, I'm sure I'm the only one without the ridiculous American
> disdain for sweetener and dairy in coffee. You can drink black

The only significant group of Americans that I can think
of who seem to drink black coffee are Navy and ex-Navy
people. I know around New York City and its suburbs
ordering a coffee "regular" will get you cream and sugar
added in. They wouldn't be calling that "regular"
if it was unusual.

Oddly, I prefer coffee with just cream, unless I'm
in France and drinking cafe at a bar. Then I prefer
black with one lump of sugar. It's just different.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Nancy Young

Rick & Cyndi wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> : But there were people, honest to goodness, would use 10 packets
> of
> : sugar in one cup of coffee. As in, would you like some coffee
> with
> : your sugar? Not so much disdain as does that sugar even
> melt!!???

> <giggle>
>
> Yep. I worked with a former Brit that took 12+ sugars and 3
> packets of creamer... It didn't even *look* like coffee when she
> was done with it.

(laugh) I really wonder what's at the bottom of an 8 ounce cup of
coffee when they finish the coffee. The sugar can't have melted,
can it?

nancy
Rick & Cyndi

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
: Rick & Cyndi wrote:
: >
[...]
=======

I dunno. Whether it did or not though... it's certainly syrup!
Ewwwww <shudder>
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Boron Elgar

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:23:18 GMT, "Rick & Cyndi"
> wrote:

>"BubbaBob" > wrote in message
31...
>: "Rick & Cyndi" > wrote:
>:
>: > There is one store bought that I still really like. I just
>: > discovered it during a trip to Chicago... Trader Joe's has a
>: > coffee that has Pinon nut (Pine nuts) from New Mexico in it.
>: > WOW!! I wasn't going to tell anyone about it for fear that
>: > everyone would buy all of it and make the price go up... but
>: > since I live far enough from a Trader Joe's ... I guess it
>won't
>: > matter if I only tell you guys.
>: >
>: >
>:
>: It won't be around much longer. at least 3/4 of the piñon trees
>in
>: New mexico have been killed off in the last three years by pine
>bark
>: beetle infestation and severe drought. It will be 2 or 3
>centuries
>: before piñon availability is back to normal.
>======
>
>That really is a shame. I adore Pine nuts! Both in eating and
>drinking.
>
>Cyndi
><Remove a "b" to reply>

Never fera...a goodly amount of the pinon nuts sold in the US comes
from China.

Boron

Smithfarms Pure Kona

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:44:47 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:23:18 GMT, "Rick & Cyndi"
> wrote:
>
>>"BubbaBob" > wrote in message
. 131...
>>: "Rick & Cyndi" > wrote:
>>:

>ñon availability is back to normal.
>>======
>>
>>That really is a shame. I adore Pine nuts! Both in eating and
>>drinking.
>>
>>Cyndi
>><Remove a "b" to reply>
>>

>Never fera...a goodly amount of the pinon nuts sold in the US comes
>from China.
>
>Boron

I do believe that COSTCO which sells large bags of already cracked
pine nuts, gets their Pine nuts from China. As a kid we got pine nuts
from China is small cello bags. We had to crack the brittle outside
open to get the sweet pine nut within. Many decades later when I saw
the already shelled pine nuts at COSTCO, I had to buy a bag and enjoy
handfuls.
aloha, Thunder
http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
alzelt

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Michel Boucher wrote:
>

>>Terra - Cuban shade coffee
>>http://www.humaniterra.ca/

> Looks good, but since I'm in the States it is "forbidden fruit" :-(

Well, maybe you can ask the new Governor of California is he would pick
some up for you when he gets his next supply of Habanas.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

alzelt

Nancy Young wrote:

> But there were people, honest to goodness, would use 10 packets of
> sugar in one cup of coffee. As in, would you like some coffee with
> your sugar? Not so much disdain as does that sugar even melt!!???
>
> nancy

My teeth are itching as I read this.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

alzelt

Rick & Cyndi wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> : Greg Zywicki wrote:
> :
> : > Also, I'm sure I'm the only one without the ridiculous
> American
> : > disdain for sweetener and dairy in coffee.
> :
> : I had to read this three times to make sure I hadn't read it
> wrong.
> : I've stood on enough coffee cart/cafeteria lines to know that's
> not
> : true. Cream and sugar, just about everyone. I no longer drink
> : coffee, but I had it with light cream ... I'd settle for half
> and
> : half, but would do without if only milk was available. No
> sugar
> : for me.
> :
> : But there were people, honest to goodness, would use 10 packets
> of
> : sugar in one cup of coffee. As in, would you like some coffee
> with
> : your sugar? Not so much disdain as does that sugar even
> melt!!???
> :
> : nancy
> ---------
>
> <giggle>
>
> Yep. I worked with a former Brit that took 12+ sugars and 3
> packets of creamer... It didn't even *look* like coffee when she
> was done with it.
> Cyndi
> <Remove a "b" to reply>

I think you have just discovered the psyche of the Charbucks customers.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Nancy Young

BubbaBob wrote:

> That's because it's so damned hard to get decent coffee beans in NYC.

Why do you say that? Where do you think the coffee beans land from
other countries? Kansas?

nancy

Smithfarms Pure Kona

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 18:41:22 -0600, BubbaBob
> wrote:

> The best quality beans tend to come in through west coast ports,
>particularly Oakland/SF. Second best usually through New Orleans
>and the rest through the eastern ports. It makes sense because
>people on the west coast take their coffee much more seriously
>than easterners and demand higher quality. The quality of west
>coast small batch roasting is almost universally superior to east
>coast roasting. There are noticeable exceptions in a few small New
>England towns but generally the quality of coffee you get around
>NYC is such that you would want to hide its taste with something.
>
> Ever try to get a decent espresso in NYC? Rarer than hen's teeth.
>
>African and Red Sea beans come in through east coast ports but
>they don't have much of an east coast market, so they just travel
>on through. Red Sea beans (Yemen, Ethiopia) tend to end up in west
>coast espresso blends.
>
> I'm talking about quality Arabicas here, not Robustas. Most of
>the canned Robusta (Folger's, Maxwell House, etc.) in the US comes
>from Viet Nam, costs about $.75/lb to produce and ship, and tastes
>(and smells) like burnt tires unless the beans are thoroughly
>steamed before roasting. Cheap VN coffees are ruining the world
>coffee trade and forcing some of the finest fincas in Central and
>South America into poverty and bankruptcy.
>
> They taste so bad that only Americans would drink them but we're
>a MAJOR part of the world market.

The internet mail order is available to anyone. Not many people trek
off to the coffee warehouses. My Kona beans never go to a warehouse
and so you wouldn't find some of the very highest quality unless you
did a search on GOOGLE, or knew a green bean seller.
aloha,
Thunder
http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
A.T. Hagan

On 19 Oct 2003 07:45:45 -0700, (butch burton)
wrote:

(Rosie Miller) wrote in message >...

>> >Ethiopian 'Horse' Harrar blended 2:1 with 'Grade 1' Sulawesi Toraja
>> >and a bit of Ugandan Bugisu tossed in, roasted about 15 seconds into
>> >second crack. That's my favorite this week. Life's too short for
>> >shitty coffee.

>> My favorite is Millstone beans, I grind them at home, I like flavored coffees
>> and will skip around , sometimes the flavors, sometimes the breakfast blend.
>> Rosie

>Coffee beans after roasting have a 2 week max shelf life in whole bean
>format-ground it is only a matter of hours or some say minutes before
>the varietal flavors have left. So if you want to experience real
>coffee, find a roaster that rotates their beans. These people are
>around if you will just look. Also a few roasters are bottom feeders
>over roasting cheap crap beans and selling roast. We call one of the
>big chains charbucks cause they can not possibly sell fresh roasted-so
>they way overroast their coffee and are offering roast flavors and not
>varietal flavors. But at least they start with high quality beans not
>like the big bulk can guys who are peddling steam treated (without the
>steam treatment these beans taste like truck tires)Vietnamese sourced
>robusta beans.
>
>Now if you really want great coffee-roast your own beans. If
>interested go to alt coffee-having a great cup of Ethopian Harrar
>Horse just roasted into the beginning of the second crack. Lots of
>sources of green beans and if you are a bit handy, can make your own
>roaster for not a lot of money. Our ancestors used to roast their own
>beans.

I am almost hesitant to ask this, but where's a good place to order
green beans from?

I'm not a coffee connoisseur, Eight O'Clock Bean Coffee is my
preference, but lately I'm in the mood to try my hand at roasting my
own.

......Alan.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.
A.T. Hagan

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 10:35:57 -0400, "Dave"
> wrote:

>"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
.. .
>| Anyone try Cafe Du Monde??
>|

>I have in their shop in New Orleans and from a can I bought locally. I liked
>the cup I got in their shop, but didn't care for the cup I made myself, but
>I do like the coffee and chicory blend by the French Market company.

Does seem to be a difference. Last time I was in New Orleans we were
chronically short on sleep so I drank a quart or two of Cafe du Monde
coffee every day. Thought I'd try it at home so I bought a can while
I was there. Nothing I could think of to do to it made it taste like
it did there.

Of course, the water in New Orleans is awful and that may have
something to do with it. ;-)

......Alan.