Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Favorite brand name dry rubs?

What's everyone's favorite brand name dry rub, if you're too lazy to make
your own rub? Mine favorite is Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. Now and
then I use Pappy's, though I like the former better.
Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message

:: What's everyone's favorite brand name dry rub, if you're too lazy
to make
:: your own rub? Mine favorite is Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning.
Now and
:: then I use Pappy's, though I like the former better.
:: Kent

I like those from the Dizzy Pig company, Sorry Boys, The Slabs, and
homebbq.com

All of these can be purchased online, at their respective websites.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I use ZACH'S Sweet rub, made in Deer Park, Texas. They sell it in 1lb or
5lb packages. They make several different kinds. Try www.zachspice.com

Kent wrote:

> What's everyone's favorite brand name dry rub, if you're too lazy to make
> your own rub? Mine favorite is Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. Now and
> then I use Pappy's, though I like the former better.
> Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:21:58 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>What's everyone's favorite brand name dry rub, if you're too lazy to make
>your own rub? Mine favorite is Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. Now and
>then I use Pappy's, though I like the former better.
>Kent

Pretty much I use the rubs from Dizzy Pig: Dizzy Pig, Tsunami Spin,
Ragin' River and Raisin' The Steaks.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sorry one more thing, since I no longer am able to cook outside. Can I
still get a good BBQ taste without having an outdoor grill? Is that
where the rub comes in? And, can anyone recommend a good cole slaw
recipe without mayo?

Jules

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> What's everyone's favorite brand name dry rub,

Mine

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> What's everyone's favorite brand name dry rub, if you're too lazy to make
> your own rub? Mine favorite is Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. Now and
> then I use Pappy's, though I like the former better.
> Kent

Yeah OL"HIPPIE

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" BOB" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Kent" > wrote in message
>
> :: What's everyone's favorite brand name dry rub, if you're too lazy to
> make
> :: your own rub? Mine favorite is Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. Now
> and
> :: then I use Pappy's, though I like the former better.
> :: Kent
>
> I like those from the Dizzy Pig company, Sorry Boys, The Slabs, and
> homebbq.com
>
> All of these can be purchased online, at their respective websites.

Those all are pretty darn tasty--would add Smoking Guns Hot and Head Country
to that list! A reallly good place to buy bbq shtuff is
Hawgeyesbbq.com--darn near any rub/sauce is available

Buzz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Buzz1" wrote
:: " BOB" > wrote in message
:: . ..
::: "Kent" > wrote in message
:::
::::: What's everyone's favorite brand name dry rub, if you're too
lazy to make
::::: your own rub? Mine favorite is Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning.
Now and
::::: then I use Pappy's, though I like the former better.
::::: Kent
:::
::: I like those from the Dizzy Pig company, Sorry Boys, The Slabs,
and
::: homebbq.com
:::
::: All of these can be purchased online, at their respective
websites.
:::
:: Those all are pretty darn tasty--would add Smoking Guns Hot and
Head Country
:: to that list! A reallly good place to buy bbq shtuff is
:: Hawgeyesbbq.com--darn near any rub/sauce is available
::
:: Buzz

Those have been on my "to try" list. I need more room for rubs in my
kitchen. I hope nobody asks me which I like best.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I guess no one wants to answer all of my questions.
OL'Hippie wrote:
> Kent wrote:
> > What's everyone's favorite brand name dry rub,

> Mine

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 12 Jul 2006 08:55:20 -0700, "Jules" >
wrote:

>I guess no one wants to answer all of my questions.

Dear Top-Poster:

As best I recall, no one here is getting paid to do your homework.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nice to know that you BBQ guys are nice guys.

Jules

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> On 12 Jul 2006 08:55:20 -0700, "Jules" >
> wrote:
>
> >I guess no one wants to answer all of my questions.

> Dear Top-Poster:
>
> As best I recall, no one here is getting paid to do your homework.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Jules" > wrote in message oups.com...
> Nice to know that you BBQ guys are nice guys.
>
> Jules
>
> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> > On 12 Jul 2006 08:55:20 -0700, "Jules" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I guess no one wants to answer all of my questions.

> > Dear Top-Poster:
> >
> > As best I recall, no one here is getting paid to do your homework.

Pay no attention to KSW. He is a permanent member of my bozo bin. Don't let him chase you away.

The FAQ is a good place to start and has quite a bit of information that you should find useful. I don't have any idea how you can
reproduce the flavor of real Q without slow cooking over a wood fire. Perhaps you can pose that question over in rec.food.cooking.

--
Al Reid

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Here is the link I forgot to post: http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

--
Al Reid

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:03:32 -0400, "Al Reid"
> wrote:

>"Jules" > wrote in message oups.com...
>> Nice to know that you BBQ guys are nice guys.
>>
>> Jules
>>
>> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

>> > Dear Top-Poster:
>> >
>> > As best I recall, no one here is getting paid to do your homework.

>Pay no attention to KSW. He is a permanent member of my bozo bin.

Trust me when I say that I'll give that fact all the consideration it
deserves.

PS: And you're who, exactly?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Jules wrote:

> Since this subject was brought up, I would like to ask the question?
> What does dry rub add to the meat. And why is it better than sauce? I
> am no expert on BBQ, but love eating it. I have always just used sauce.
> I have been watching a lot of BBQ competitions thanks to cable
> television, and about half of the BBQers seem to use dry rub. What is
> that all about? Is the only reason to make the whole process less
> messy? I just don't get it. If the sauce drips on your fingers just
> lick it up, if the sauce drips on your shirt, just throw it out (or
> wash it), if it drips on the floor, get your handy Scooba robot mopper
> to mop it up for you. I just don't understand cooking with rub rather
> than sauce. And, is the field divided: people who use rub against
> people who use sauce? Can you use both.
>
> Jules

Dry rubs are every bit as messy as sauce, perhaps even more so. I'm not
an expert, but I believe that the spices in the dry rub are more fat
soluble and tend to be absorbed into the meat more vs. a sauce remaining
mostly on the outside. Dry rubs can also be sugar free (mine is) which
avoids the potential of sugar burning. My rub is mostly chili powder and
black pepper with a small amount of kosher salt and garlic powder. I've
tried more complicated rubs and without rubs and settled on this simple
one as my favorite. I use this on both ribs and brisket.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Jules wrote:

> Sorry one more thing, since I no longer am able to cook outside. Can I
> still get a good BBQ taste without having an outdoor grill? Is that
> where the rub comes in? And, can anyone recommend a good cole slaw
> recipe without mayo?
>
> Jules

You can get a pretty decent result in an oven if you're careful. It's
not quite the same, but certainly better than nothing. A pizza stone on
the very bottom rack provides a shield from direct radiant heat giving
you the equivalent of indirect heat. A wire rack in a roasting pan (on
an upper rack) holds the meat up and lets the fat drip away properly and
allows air circulation. A convection oven helps. If you have a good
exhaust hood that vents outside vs. recirculates you can try a smoker
box in the oven to get real smoke, otherwise you have to cheat with a
few drops of liquid smoke. Run the oven at 250 degrees for the 6 or so
hours it takes for ribs or for at least 16+ hours for brisket and you
should get a decent result.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Jules wrote:

> Nice to know that you BBQ guys are nice guys.

*plonk*

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thanks Al. I will take your advice.

Jules
Al Reid wrote:
> "Jules" > wrote in message oups.com...
> > Nice to know that you BBQ guys are nice guys.
> >
> > Jules
> >
> > Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> > > Dear Top-Poster:
> > >
> > > As best I recall, no one here is getting paid to do your homework.

> Pay no attention to KSW. He is a permanent member of my bozo bin. Don't let him chase you away.
>
> The FAQ is a good place to start and has quite a bit of information that you should find useful. I don't have any idea how you can
> reproduce the flavor of real Q without slow cooking over a wood fire. Perhaps you can pose that question over in rec.food.cooking.
>
> --
> Al Reid

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" BOB" > wrote in message
.. .
> "Buzz1" wrote
> :: " BOB" > wrote in message
> :: . ..
> ::: "Kent" > wrote in message
> :::
> ::::: What's everyone's favorite brand name dry rub, if you're too lazy to
> make
> ::::: your own rub? Mine favorite is Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. Now
> and
> ::::: then I use Pappy's, though I like the former better.
> ::::: Kent
> :::
> ::: I like those from the Dizzy Pig company, Sorry Boys, The Slabs, and
> ::: homebbq.com
> :::
> ::: All of these can be purchased online, at their respective websites.
> :::
> :: Those all are pretty darn tasty--would add Smoking Guns Hot and Head
> Country
> :: to that list! A reallly good place to buy bbq shtuff is
> :: Hawgeyesbbq.com--darn near any rub/sauce is available
> ::
> :: Buzz
>
> Those have been on my "to try" list. I need more room for rubs in my
> kitchen. I hope nobody asks me which I like best.

Tell ya we just finished 10th overall @ Shannon(Il State bbq Champ) with 2
top ten calls with rubs that you and I have mentioned--never have felt the
urge to re-invent the wheel! Of course my superior cooking ability
helped<LOL>. My philosophy is when ya are done rubbing--rub it again--all
about the layers!

well--Buzz'd--in Wisconsin

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Default User" > wrote in message
> Jules wrote:
>
>> Nice to know that you BBQ guys are nice guys.

> Brian
>
> *plonk*

And Up Yours,

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Jules wrote:
> can anyone recommend a good cole slaw
> recipe without mayo?

1 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1 large cabbage, finely shredded
2 large carrots, finely shredded
1 large red onion, coarsely sliced
2 tablespoons celery seed
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons horseradish mustard

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Buzz1" wrote
:: " BOB"wrote::::: "Buzz1" wrote
::::: " BOB" wrote...
:::::: Dizzy Pig company, Sorry Boys, The Slabs, and
:::::: homebbq.com
::::::
:::::: All of these can be purchased online, at their respective
websites.
::::::
::::: Those all are pretty darn tasty--would add Smoking Guns Hot and
Head Country
::::: to that list! A reallly good place to buy bbq shtuff is
::::: Hawgeyesbbq.com--darn near any rub/sauce is available
:::::
::::: Buzz
:::
::: Those have been on my "to try" list. I need more room for rubs in
my
::: kitchen. I hope nobody asks me which I like best.
:::
::
:: Tell ya we just finished 10th overall @ Shannon(Il State bbq Champ)
with 2
:: top ten calls with rubs that you and I have mentioned--never have
felt the
:: urge to re-invent the wheel! Of course my superior cooking ability
:: helped<LOL>. My philosophy is when ya are done rubbing--rub it
again--all
:: about the layers!
::
:: well--Buzz'd--in Wisconsin

From what I read, that contest was a "Who's Who" of BBQ, some really
big names.
Congratulations on that 10th with the big boys!

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" BOB" > wrote in message
> "Buzz1" wrote
>
> From what I read, that contest was a "Who's Who" of BBQ, some really big
> names.
> Congratulations on that 10th with the big boys!

last year we were 11th so we moved up--back in the day we were cooking
15contests a year or so--think this year will travel to 5---if I could find
a partner that was able to cook(and contribute) would go every weekend!!!
Anyone looking for a way to spend a couple hundred bucs/week and not get
laid<LOL> just get ahold of me!

Buzz

Posted to alt.religion.kibology,alt.food.barbecue

[snip argument context]

Dan Krueger > wrote:
><CRICKETS>

I believe I can say, with little risk of disagreement, that crickets
are an abominable dry rub, as well as being unsuitable as an
abdominable dry rub. However, crickets will likely add an unusual
flavor experience to either scenario.

Mark Edwards
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request