OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default Sesame seeds galore! :-)

I've really been enjoying using sesame seeds in all kinds of things. To
top steamed veggies, use in stir fry's, and even sprinkle onto the top
of meat in the Hamilton grill.

They just add a nice touch and texture to things.

I had purchased a small, 12 oz. shaker can of them for a couple of bucks
from the Oriental market but when I went back there yesterday to get
more, I found a 5 lb. bag of them....

for $3.49. ;-) ;-D ;-d

So now I'm just using that bag to refill my shaker can, and sealed the
rest in a ziplock and put them into the chest freezer.

These are gonna last awhile methinks, but now I can use them as much as
I want!

Cheers!
--
Om.

Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> I've really been enjoying using sesame seeds in all kinds of things. To
> top steamed veggies, use in stir fry's, and even sprinkle onto the top
> of meat in the Hamilton grill.
>
> They just add a nice touch and texture to things.
>
> I had purchased a small, 12 oz. shaker can of them for a couple of bucks
> from the Oriental market but when I went back there yesterday to get
> more, I found a 5 lb. bag of them....
>
> for $3.49. ;-) ;-D ;-d
>
> So now I'm just using that bag to refill my shaker can, and sealed the
> rest in a ziplock and put them into the chest freezer.
>
> These are gonna last awhile methinks, but now I can use them as much as
> I want!

Oh no you don't, not if as you claim you're attempting to lose
weight... I don't think there is any other seed on the planet that
contains more fat than sesame.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-001-02s02db.html

sesame seed
[SEHS-uh-mee]
History tells us that sesame seed is the first recorded seasoning,
dating back to 3000 b.c. Assyria. It grows widely in India and
throughout the Orient. The seeds were brought to America by African
slaves, who called it benn=E9 (pronounced BEHN-nee) seed , and it
subsequently became very popular in Southern cooking. These tiny, flat
seeds come in shades of brown, red and black, but those most commonly
found are a pale grayish-ivory. Sesame seed has a nutty, slightly sweet
flavor that makes it versatile enough for use in baked goods such as
breads, pastries, cakes and cookies, in confections like the Middle
Eastern HALVAH and in salads and other savory dishes. The seed is
available packaged in supermarkets and can be found in bulk in Middle
Eastern markets and health-food stores. Because of a high oil content,
sesame seed turns rancid quickly. It can be stored airtight in a cool,
dark place for up to 3 months, refrigerated up to 6 months or frozen up
to a year.

=A9 Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.=20

Sheldon

jmcquown

Sheldon wrote:
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>> I've really been enjoying using sesame seeds in all kinds of things.
>> To top steamed veggies, use in stir fry's, and even sprinkle onto
>> the top of meat in the Hamilton grill.
>>
>> They just add a nice touch and texture to things.
>>
>> I had purchased a small, 12 oz. shaker can of them for a couple of
>> bucks from the Oriental market but when I went back there yesterday
>> to get more, I found a 5 lb. bag of them....
>>
>> for $3.49. ;-) ;-D ;-d
>>
>> So now I'm just using that bag to refill my shaker can, and sealed
>> the rest in a ziplock and put them into the chest freezer.
>>
>> These are gonna last awhile methinks, but now I can use them as much
>> as I want!

> Oh no you don't, not if as you claim you're attempting to lose
> weight... I don't think there is any other seed on the planet that
> contains more fat than sesame.

(snippage)
> Sheldon

And uh oh, here we go again with allergy issues. Some people are severely
allergic to sesame seeds and sesame oil.

Jill

Sheldon

jmcquown wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >> I've really been enjoying using sesame seeds in all kinds of things.
> >> To top steamed veggies, use in stir fry's, and even sprinkle onto
> >> the top of meat in the Hamilton grill.
> >>
> >> They just add a nice touch and texture to things.
> >>
> >> I had purchased a small, 12 oz. shaker can of them for a couple of
> >> bucks from the Oriental market but when I went back there yesterday
> >> to get more, I found a 5 lb. bag of them....
> >>
> >> for $3.49. ;-) ;-D ;-d
> >>
> >> So now I'm just using that bag to refill my shaker can, and sealed
> >> the rest in a ziplock and put them into the chest freezer.
> >>
> >> These are gonna last awhile methinks, but now I can use them as much
> >> as I want!

> > Oh no you don't, not if as you claim you're attempting to lose
> > weight... I don't think there is any other seed on the planet that
> > contains more fat than sesame.

> And uh oh, here we go again with allergy issues.

Huh? No one mentioned allergy issues... unless you're allergic to
becoming fat.

Sheldon

~patches~

jmcquown wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:
>
>>OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>>
>>>I've really been enjoying using sesame seeds in all kinds of things.
>>>To top steamed veggies, use in stir fry's, and even sprinkle onto
>>>the top of meat in the Hamilton grill.
>>>
>>>They just add a nice touch and texture to things.
>>>
>>>I had purchased a small, 12 oz. shaker can of them for a couple of
>>>bucks from the Oriental market but when I went back there yesterday
>>>to get more, I found a 5 lb. bag of them....
>>>
>>>for $3.49. ;-) ;-D ;-d
>>>
>>>So now I'm just using that bag to refill my shaker can, and sealed
>>>the rest in a ziplock and put them into the chest freezer.
>>>
>>>These are gonna last awhile methinks, but now I can use them as much
>>>as I want!

>>Oh no you don't, not if as you claim you're attempting to lose
>>weight... I don't think there is any other seed on the planet that
>>contains more fat than sesame.
>>

> (snippage)
>
>>Sheldon

> And uh oh, here we go again with allergy issues. Some people are severely
> allergic to sesame seeds and sesame oil.
>
> Jill

Well that comment just made up my mind

kilikini

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> I've really been enjoying using sesame seeds in all kinds of things. To
> top steamed veggies, use in stir fry's, and even sprinkle onto the top
> of meat in the Hamilton grill.
>
> They just add a nice touch and texture to things.
>
> I had purchased a small, 12 oz. shaker can of them for a couple of bucks
> from the Oriental market but when I went back there yesterday to get
> more, I found a 5 lb. bag of them....
>
> for $3.49. ;-) ;-D ;-d
>
> So now I'm just using that bag to refill my shaker can, and sealed the
> rest in a ziplock and put them into the chest freezer.
>
> These are gonna last awhile methinks, but now I can use them as much as
> I want!

Oh no you don't, not if as you claim you're attempting to lose
weight... I don't think there is any other seed on the planet that
contains more fat than sesame.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-001-02s02db.html

sesame seed
[SEHS-uh-mee]
History tells us that sesame seed is the first recorded seasoning,
dating back to 3000 b.c. Assyria. It grows widely in India and
throughout the Orient. The seeds were brought to America by African
slaves, who called it benné (pronounced BEHN-nee) seed , and it
[...]

Oh well, *I* don't care. :~) Sesame seeds are good; they're crunchy, they
add flavor, texture and they're asthetically pleasing. I'll happily eat up
my container of them (and I do). My husband has also found that nothing
seasons our cast iron skillets as much as my expensive Sesame oil. (I mean,
this is the kind that you buy at the Asian market for $4 a bottle.) It does
make the skillets shine like I've never seen them do before.........

kili

Goomba38

My favorite use for cheap, tasty sesame seeds:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Benne Seed Cookies

Recipe By : Southern Living Annual Recipes, 1984
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookies

1/2 cup butter -- melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg -- beaten
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup toasted sesame seeds

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, beat until smooth and creamy.
Drop dough by 1/2 teaspoons (cookies spread!) onto lightly greased
cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 min or until edges are
browned. Cool very slightly on cookie sheets-cookies will become too
hard to get off if you wait too long If that happens you can soften up
again by slipping pan back into overn for a mement. Remove to wire racks.
Yield 8 dozen.
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > I've really been enjoying using sesame seeds in all kinds of things. To
> > top steamed veggies, use in stir fry's, and even sprinkle onto the top
> > of meat in the Hamilton grill.
> >
> > They just add a nice touch and texture to things.
> >
> > I had purchased a small, 12 oz. shaker can of them for a couple of bucks
> > from the Oriental market but when I went back there yesterday to get
> > more, I found a 5 lb. bag of them....
> >
> > for $3.49. ;-) ;-D ;-d
> >
> > So now I'm just using that bag to refill my shaker can, and sealed the
> > rest in a ziplock and put them into the chest freezer.
> >
> > These are gonna last awhile methinks, but now I can use them as much as
> > I want!

> Oh no you don't, not if as you claim you're attempting to lose
> weight... I don't think there is any other seed on the planet that
> contains more fat than sesame.

Tsk!
I'm not using more than a few teaspoons per recipe.

And with low carbing, fat is not evil. :-)

Cheers and thanks tho'!

--
Om.

For anyone looking for halvah, I recommend www.halvah.biz. They will
ship anywhere in the US. Halvah is wonderful stuff. I think it is the
best use for sesame seeds.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >> I've really been enjoying using sesame seeds in all kinds of things.
> >> To top steamed veggies, use in stir fry's, and even sprinkle onto
> >> the top of meat in the Hamilton grill.
> >>
> >> They just add a nice touch and texture to things.
> >>
> >> I had purchased a small, 12 oz. shaker can of them for a couple of
> >> bucks from the Oriental market but when I went back there yesterday
> >> to get more, I found a 5 lb. bag of them....
> >>
> >> for $3.49. ;-) ;-D ;-d
> >>
> >> So now I'm just using that bag to refill my shaker can, and sealed
> >> the rest in a ziplock and put them into the chest freezer.
> >>
> >> These are gonna last awhile methinks, but now I can use them as much
> >> as I want!

> > Oh no you don't, not if as you claim you're attempting to lose
> > weight... I don't think there is any other seed on the planet that
> > contains more fat than sesame.
> >

> (snippage)
> > Sheldon

> And uh oh, here we go again with allergy issues. Some people are severely
> allergic to sesame seeds and sesame oil.
>
> Jill

I'm not...... ;-)

But thanks for the warning.
I'll be sure to ask any guests before using them for serving them.
--
Om.

jmcquown

Sheldon wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Sheldon wrote:

>>> Oh no you don't, not if as you claim you're attempting to lose
>>> weight... I don't think there is any other seed on the planet that
>>> contains more fat than sesame.

>> And uh oh, here we go again with allergy issues.

> Huh? No one mentioned allergy issues... unless you're allergic to
> becoming fat.
>
> Sheldon

I absolutely am allergic to becoming fat. Sorry you missed my poor attempt
at a joke.

Jill

jmcquown

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> Sheldon wrote:

>>> Oh no you don't, not if as you claim you're attempting to lose
>>> weight... I don't think there is any other seed on the planet that
>>> contains more fat than sesame.
>>>

>> (snippage)
>>> Sheldon

>> And uh oh, here we go again with allergy issues. Some people are
>> severely allergic to sesame seeds and sesame oil.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I'm not...... ;-)
>
> But thanks for the warning.
> I'll be sure to ask any guests before using them for serving them.

Years ago, a large group of us went to one of those Japanese places where
they stir-cook everything on the grill table right in front of you. She
specificially told the chef no sesame oil or sesame seeds. He said he
understood but when it came time to cook he poured out the sesame oil for
what she'd ordered as he did to cook everyone elses meal. She caught it,
thankfully. Sadly, she had to wait until everything else was cooked since
we were a large group and by then the sesame oil was all over the cook-top.
He thoroughly scrubbed clean the surface of the grill top before he could
cook her meal (using corn oil).

Jill

Reg

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> I've really been enjoying using sesame seeds in all kinds of things. To
> top steamed veggies, use in stir fry's, and even sprinkle onto the top
> of meat in the Hamilton grill.
>
> They just add a nice touch and texture to things.
>
> I had purchased a small, 12 oz. shaker can of them for a couple of bucks
> from the Oriental market but when I went back there yesterday to get
> more, I found a 5 lb. bag of them....
>
> for $3.49. ;-) ;-D ;-d
>
> So now I'm just using that bag to refill my shaker can, and sealed the
> rest in a ziplock and put them into the chest freezer.
>
> These are gonna last awhile methinks, but now I can use them as much as
> I want!

Sesame makes a great seed butter, AKA tahini. Do you have
a mortar and pestle?

elaine

"Reg" > wrote in message
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
>> I've really been enjoying using sesame seeds in all kinds of things. To
>> top steamed veggies, use in stir fry's, and even sprinkle onto the top of
>> meat in the Hamilton grill. They just add a nice touch and texture to
>> things.
>>
>> I had purchased a small, 12 oz. shaker can of them for a couple of bucks
>> from the Oriental market but when I went back there yesterday to get
>> more, I found a 5 lb. bag of them....

I love sesame seeds - Here's a recipe for sesame salt -

Gomashio (Sesame Salt)

1 cup sesame seeds
1 1/3 TBSP sea salt

Wash seeds, place in frying pan and roast over low heat until golden -
should be easily crushable.

Remove, add sea salt and grind.

High in calcium, iron & vitamins A&B; aids in digestion.
PS. I'm also enjoying miso : it's a nice change from the usual:

Miso Dressing (I buy red miso at my local Asian store)
3 TBSP. miso
2 TBS rice vinegar
2-3 TBSP water (I like oil better)
parsley, grated onion..........

Elaine

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article > ,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Oh well, *I* don't care. :~) Sesame seeds are good; they're crunchy, they
> add flavor, texture and they're asthetically pleasing. I'll happily eat up
> my container of them (and I do). My husband has also found that nothing
> seasons our cast iron skillets as much as my expensive Sesame oil. (I mean,
> this is the kind that you buy at the Asian market for $4 a bottle.) It does
> make the skillets shine like I've never seen them do before.........
>
> kili

If sesame seeds and sesame oil are used as condiments, they are not
going to add enough calories etc. to make a dent in a diet plan.

And they can make low cal food a bit more interesting.

When I reach my goal weight, I'll post before and after pictures. ;-)

--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> My favorite use for cheap, tasty sesame seeds:
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Benne Seed Cookies
>
> Recipe By : Southern Living Annual Recipes, 1984
> Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Cookies

> 1/2 cup butter -- melted
> 1 cup packed brown sugar
> 1 egg -- beaten
> 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1 cup toasted sesame seeds
>
> Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, beat until smooth and creamy.
> Drop dough by 1/2 teaspoons (cookies spread!) onto lightly greased
> cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 min or until edges are
> browned. Cool very slightly on cookie sheets-cookies will become too
> hard to get off if you wait too long If that happens you can soften up
> again by slipping pan back into overn for a mement. Remove to wire racks.
> Yield 8 dozen.

You are EEEvil!!!
Can I use Splenda? ;-D

No sugar on low carbing!

Ugh. No flour either.

Sounds yummy tho', I'll have to store this recipe for a year or so down
the line. <G>
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article . com>,
wrote:

> For anyone looking for halvah, I recommend
www.halvah.biz. They will
> ship anywhere in the US. Halvah is wonderful stuff. I think it is the
> best use for sesame seeds.

What is Halvah?
--
Om.

Mamma Mia

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> I've really been enjoying using sesame seeds in all kinds of things. To
> top steamed veggies, use in stir fry's, and even sprinkle onto the top
> of meat in the Hamilton grill.
>
> They just add a nice touch and texture to things.
>
> I had purchased a small, 12 oz. shaker can of them for a couple of bucks
> from the Oriental market but when I went back there yesterday to get
> more, I found a 5 lb. bag of them....
>
> for $3.49. ;-) ;-D ;-d
>
> So now I'm just using that bag to refill my shaker can, and sealed the
> rest in a ziplock and put them into the chest freezer.
>
> These are gonna last awhile methinks, but now I can use them as much as
> I want!
>
> Cheers!
> --
> Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack
> Nicholson

and very high in calcium too!

Sheldon

elaine wrote:
> "Reg" > wrote in message
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> >> I've really been enjoying using sesame seeds in all kinds of things. To
> >> top steamed veggies, use in stir fry's, and even sprinkle onto the top of
> >> meat in the Hamilton grill. They just add a nice touch and texture to
> >> things.
> >>
> >> I had purchased a small, 12 oz. shaker can of them for a couple of bucks
> >> from the Oriental market but when I went back there yesterday to get
> >> more, I found a 5 lb. bag of them....

> I love sesame seeds - Here's a recipe for sesame salt -
>
> Gomashio (Sesame Salt)
>
> 1 cup sesame seeds
> 1 1/3 TBSP sea salt
>
> Wash seeds, place in frying pan and roast over low heat until golden -
> should be easily crushable.
>
> Remove, add sea salt and grind.

Salty tahini... don't know about that one... I think it was okay as a
"salad sprinkle" before you made it into paste. I've had sesame seed
crackers, even pretzels, but the seeds are used whole and the salt is
on the outside. So, you're just gonna leave me hanging, ain'tcha gonna
say how to use your concoction... somehow I imagine massaging that
Ginky Gomashio paste into Elaine's breasts and licking it off makes a
nice aphrodaisiac.

Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Reg > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > I've really been enjoying using sesame seeds in all kinds of things. To
> > top steamed veggies, use in stir fry's, and even sprinkle onto the top
> > of meat in the Hamilton grill.
> >
> > They just add a nice touch and texture to things.
> >
> > I had purchased a small, 12 oz. shaker can of them for a couple of bucks
> > from the Oriental market but when I went back there yesterday to get
> > more, I found a 5 lb. bag of them....
> >
> > for $3.49. ;-) ;-D ;-d
> >
> > So now I'm just using that bag to refill my shaker can, and sealed the
> > rest in a ziplock and put them into the chest freezer.
> >
> > These are gonna last awhile methinks, but now I can use them as much as
> > I want!

> Sesame makes a great seed butter, AKA tahini. Do you have
> a mortar and pestle?

Yes, I do.
3 of them. ;-)

1 small ceramic one,
one glass one,
and one marble one.

The glass is the easiest one to keep clean.

Do tell??????
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >, "elaine" >
wrote:

> "Reg" > wrote in message
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> >> I've really been enjoying using sesame seeds in all kinds of things. To
> >> top steamed veggies, use in stir fry's, and even sprinkle onto the top of
> >> meat in the Hamilton grill. They just add a nice touch and texture to
> >> things.
> >>
> >> I had purchased a small, 12 oz. shaker can of them for a couple of bucks
> >> from the Oriental market but when I went back there yesterday to get
> >> more, I found a 5 lb. bag of them....

> ------------------------
> I love sesame seeds - Here's a recipe for sesame salt -
>
> Gomashio (Sesame Salt)
>
> 1 cup sesame seeds
> 1 1/3 TBSP sea salt
>
> Wash seeds, place in frying pan and roast over low heat until golden -
> should be easily crushable.
>
> Remove, add sea salt and grind.
>
> High in calcium, iron & vitamins A&B; aids in digestion.
> -------------------------
> PS. I'm also enjoying miso : it's a nice change from the usual:
>
> Miso Dressing (I buy red miso at my local Asian store)
> 3 TBSP. miso
> 2 TBS rice vinegar
> 2-3 TBSP water (I like oil better)
> parsley, grated onion..........
>
> Elaine

Cool ideas, thanks!
Is Miso made from Sesame seeds?

I have some miso out in the 'frige.
Am wondering how long it keeps as it's been out there for awhile.
I've used some of it to make soup per the directions but there
is still quite a bit left.

When I bought these, I was perusing the store for more interesting stuff
and I also found black sesame seeds! I did not buy them but I'm
wondering if anyone knows anything about them???
--
Om.

Reg

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Reg > wrote:
>
>>Sesame makes a great seed butter, AKA tahini. Do you have
>>a mortar and pestle?

> Yes, I do.
> 3 of them. ;-)
>
> 1 small ceramic one,
> one glass one,
> and one marble one.
>
> The glass is the easiest one to keep clean.
>
> Do tell??????

Grind the seeds into a paste with your largest M&P (I use
a 35 pounder and it goes pretty quickly. I think you can also
use a blender, priming it with a bit of neutral flavored
oil, but I've not tried that).

Use it in dressings, spreads, etc. Any recipe that has
tahini in it, or other seed/nut butters for that matter.
A lot of possibilities there. Here's a few recipes.

Garbanzo Bean And Tahini Burgers

Recipe By :n/a
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sandwiches Vegetables

1 can garbanzo beans, chickpeas - (15 to 16 oz) -- rinsed, drained
3 tablespoons minced red onion
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
2 1/2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon tahini
2 garlic cloves -- peeled
Salt -- to taste
Freshly-ground black pepper -- to taste
1/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 pita bread rounds -- warmed, and
halved horizontally
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
1 cup chopped tomatoes

Using fork, coarsely mash 3/4 cup garbanzo beans in medium bowl. Mix in
onion and next 3 ingredients. Puree remaining garbanzo beans, egg white,
tahini and garlic in processor until almost smooth. Stir into mashed
garbanzo bean mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Shape mixture into
four 1/2-inch-thick patties. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and
chill.)

If grilling, spray grill rack with nonstick spray, then prepare
barbecue (medium heat). If sautéing, spray large nonstick skillet
with nonstick spray and heat over medium heat. Lightly spray patties
on both sides with nonstick spray. Place patties on grill or in
skillet and cook until golden brown and heated through, about
three minutes per side.

Meanwhile, mix yogurt, hot pepper sauce and cumin in small bowl.
Place burgers in pita halves. Top with lettuce, tomatoes and yogurt.

This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per serving: calories, 242; total fat, 4 g; saturated fat, 0.5 g; cholesterol, 0.
Source:
"Bon Appétit, July 2000"

Tahini Bean Dip

Recipe By :Jeff Smith
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : * Greek Appetizers

31 ounces Garbanzo beans - (2 cans)
1/4 cup Olive oil
1 tablespoon White wine vinegar
1/4 cup Coarsely-chopped yellow onion
2 Garlic cloves -- chopped coarsely
1 pinch Cayenne pepper
1/2 cup Tahini
Salt -- to taste

Open both cans of garbanzos and drain the juice from one. Pour the
contents of both cans into a food processor and all other ingredients.
Process until very smooth. Serve as a dip for crackers, olives, pita
bread, cucumber slices. This recipe makes about 4 cups of dip.

Comments: This paste is common throughout the Middle East. This
Greek version is a bit different from the Middle Eastern version in
that it includes vinegar and cayenne pepper.

Recipe Source:
THE FRUGAL GOURMET by Jeff Smith
From the 09-30-1992 issue - The Springfield Union-News

elaine

Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> elaine wrote:

>> I love sesame seeds - Here's a recipe for sesame salt -
>>
>> Gomashio (Sesame Salt)
>>
>> 1 cup sesame seeds
>> 1 1/3 TBSP sea salt
>>
>> Wash seeds, place in frying pan and roast over low heat until golden -
>> should be easily crushable.
>>
>> Remove, add sea salt and grind.

> Salty tahini... don't know about that one... I think it was okay as a
> "salad sprinkle" before you made it into paste. I've had sesame seed
> crackers, even pretzels, but the seeds are used whole and the salt is
> on the outside. So, you're just gonna leave me hanging, ain'tcha gonna
> say how to use your concoction... somehow I imagine massaging that
> Ginky Gomashio paste into Elaine's breasts and licking it off makes a
> nice aphrodaisiac.
>
> Sheldon

Yea Silly me, Guess I deserved that!

E.

jmcquown

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article > ,
> Dog3 > wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote in news:Omelet-
>> :
>>
>>> I've really been enjoying using sesame seeds in all kinds of
>>> things. To top steamed veggies, use in stir fry's, and even
>>> sprinkle onto the top of meat in the Hamilton grill.
>>>
>>> They just add a nice touch and texture to things.
>>>
>>> I had purchased a small, 12 oz. shaker can of them for a couple of
>>> bucks from the Oriental market but when I went back there yesterday
>>> to get more, I found a 5 lb. bag of them....
>>>
>>> for $3.49. ;-) ;-D ;-d
>>>
>>> So now I'm just using that bag to refill my shaker can, and sealed
>>> the rest in a ziplock and put them into the chest freezer.
>>>
>>> These are gonna last awhile methinks, but now I can use them as
>>> much as I want!
>>>
>>> Cheers!

>> FIVE pounds? Yowser. I like them too. Toast a bunch of 'em up and
>> make a crust of them on an open faced peanut butter sammich.
>>
>> Michael

> 5 lbs. for $3.49. ;-)
> They are already toasted.
>
> I'm storing them in the freezer so they will keep longer!
> It's going to take me awhile to use that much, but it was drastically
> cheaper than buying the ones in the shaker containers!

You got that right! It's amazing how much *anything* in those shaker
containers costs. I buy a small bunch of parsley, wash it, shake it off and
chop it up. Then I dry it on paper towels with a sheet of waxed paper
underneath. I turn the parsley occasionally and after a day or two it is
dried. I put it in the big McCormick's shaker container and laugh when I
think they were charging almost $4 for a bottle of dried parsley.

Jill

Nancy Young

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
..
> In article . com>,
> wrote:
>
>> For anyone looking for halvah, I recommend
www.halvah.biz. They will
>> ship anywhere in the US. Halvah is wonderful stuff. I think it is the
>> best use for sesame seeds.

> What is Halvah?

That's funny, google on it, I didn't know what was going to
occur when I said I bought some halvah. Short answer, it's
a sesame candy.

nancy

elaine

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >, "elaine" >
> wrote:

>> ------------------------
>> I love sesame seeds - Here's a recipe for sesame salt -
>>
>> Gomashio (Sesame Salt)
>>
>> 1 cup sesame seeds
>> 1 1/3 TBSP sea salt
>>
>> Wash seeds, place in frying pan and roast over low heat until golden -
>> should be easily crushable.
>>
>> Remove, add sea salt and grind.
>>
>> High in calcium, iron & vitamins A&B; aids in digestion.
>> -------------------------
>> PS. I'm also enjoying miso : it's a nice change from the usual:
>>
>> Miso Dressing (I buy red miso at my local Asian store)
>> 3 TBSP. miso
>> 2 TBS rice vinegar
>> 2-3 TBSP water (I like oil better)
>> parsley, grated onion..........
>>
>> Elaine
>>

> Cool ideas, thanks!
> Is Miso made from Sesame seeds?

No. I think it's made from soya beans. Normally I wouldn't bother 'cause
it sounds way too healthy.. But I like the taste in dressings and yes, soup
too.

> I have some miso out in the 'frige.
> Am wondering how long it keeps as it's been out there for awhile.
> I've used some of it to make soup per the directions but there
> is still quite a bit left.
>
> When I bought these, I was perusing the store for more interesting stuff
> and I also found black sesame seeds! I did not buy them but I'm
> wondering if anyone knows anything about them???

I bought black sesame seeds. I don't know if they are any different from
the usual sesame seeds, but what the heck, they were cheap and I use them
for my Thai cooking...
E.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Reg > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Reg > wrote:
> >
> >>Sesame makes a great seed butter, AKA tahini. Do you have
> >>a mortar and pestle?

> > Yes, I do.
> > 3 of them. ;-)
> >
> > 1 small ceramic one,
> > one glass one,
> > and one marble one.
> >
> > The glass is the easiest one to keep clean.
> >
> > Do tell??????

> Grind the seeds into a paste with your largest M&P (I use
> a 35 pounder and it goes pretty quickly. I think you can also
> use a blender, priming it with a bit of neutral flavored
> oil, but I've not tried that).
>
> Use it in dressings, spreads, etc. Any recipe that has
> tahini in it, or other seed/nut butters for that matter.
> A lot of possibilities there. Here's a few recipes.

<snips yummy recipes>

Thank you! :-)

ATM, I just use sesame seeds as a condiment, but all these new ideas
look really interestng!
--
Om.

~patches~

wrote:

>>>For anyone looking for halvah, I recommend www.halvah.biz. They will
>>>ship anywhere in the US. Halvah is wonderful stuff. I think it is the
>>>best use for sesame seeds.

>>What is Halvah?

> That's funny, google on it, I didn't know what was going to
> occur when I said I bought some halvah. Short answer, it's
> a sesame candy.
>
> nancy

So that's what it's called! I love this stuff but only am able to get
it when we go to the city. I did a google and came up with a couple of
recipes so I'm going to give it a try. Not tonight or tomorrow but
first part of the week. Thanks!
Reg

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> <snips yummy recipes>
>
> Thank you! :-)
>
> ATM, I just use sesame seeds as a condiment, but all these new ideas
> look really interestng!

You're the Emu lady, yes? I hope I don't have that wrong.

Anyway, I remember learning a lot from you so I'm glad to
reciprocate.

Bob Terwilliger

Om wrote:

> I've really been enjoying using sesame seeds in all kinds of things. To
> top steamed veggies, use in stir fry's, and even sprinkle onto the top
> of meat in the Hamilton grill.
>
> They just add a nice touch and texture to things.
>
> I had purchased a small, 12 oz. shaker can of them for a couple of bucks
> from the Oriental market but when I went back there yesterday to get
> more, I found a 5 lb. bag of them....
>
> for $3.49. ;-) ;-D ;-d
>
> So now I'm just using that bag to refill my shaker can, and sealed the
> rest in a ziplock and put them into the chest freezer.
>
> These are gonna last awhile methinks, but now I can use them as much as
> I want!

I recently had kim chee which had been LIBERALLY sprinkled with toasted
sesame seeds. It was a nice addition.

Bob

Goomba38

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> I recently had kim chee which had been LIBERALLY sprinkled with toasted
> sesame seeds. It was a nice addition.
>
> Bob

I use a lot of sesame seeds in my chapchae but never had it in kimchee?
Goomba
Bob Terwilliger

Goomba wrote:

>> I recently had kim chee which had been LIBERALLY sprinkled with toasted
>> sesame seeds. It was a nice addition.
>>
>> Bob

> I use a lot of sesame seeds in my chapchae but never had it in kimchee?
> Goomba

I'd never seen sesame in kim chee before either, and certainly not in such
an amount. But I liked it!

Bob

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article > ,

> > 5 lbs. for $3.49. ;-)
> > They are already toasted.
> >
> > I'm storing them in the freezer so they will keep longer!
> > It's going to take me awhile to use that much, but it was drastically
> > cheaper than buying the ones in the shaker containers!

> You got that right! It's amazing how much *anything* in those shaker
> containers costs. I buy a small bunch of parsley, wash it, shake it off and
> chop it up. Then I dry it on paper towels with a sheet of waxed paper
> underneath. I turn the parsley occasionally and after a day or two it is
> dried. I put it in the big McCormick's shaker container and laugh when I
> think they were charging almost $4 for a bottle of dried parsley.
>
> Jill

Yeah, I need to do that again too! I'm nearly out.
I also buy large bunches of fresh dill weed at the oriental market and
dry that in my dehydrator then put back into my shaker container labeled
"dill". <G>

The other advantage to drying your own herbs is that YOU know how fresh
they are! They've not been sitting on a shelf or in a warehouse forever
and a day.

I'm trying to get together a bunch of celery leaf at the moment for the
same purpose.
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
> .
> > In article . com>,
> > wrote:
> >
> >> For anyone looking for halvah, I recommend
www.halvah.biz. They will
> >> ship anywhere in the US. Halvah is wonderful stuff. I think it is the
> >> best use for sesame seeds.

> > What is Halvah?

> That's funny, google on it, I didn't know what was going to
> occur when I said I bought some halvah. Short answer, it's
> a sesame candy.
>
> nancy

Duh. Google. ;-)

This sounds like it'd make an excellent "trail" food and be a nice
supplement to pemmican or jerky:

Halvah

1 cup sesame seeds
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
1 tablespoon cocoa or carob powder (optional)

Grind sesame seeds into a nut butter. Scrape out into a bowl and dribble
in the honey. Mix well until you get a sticky mass. For chocolate
halvah, mix in cocoa well. Allow it to become marbled. For more vanilla
flavor, add vanilla extract with the honey.

Line a small (about 4 x 3 inches) box with wax paper and press in the
mixture. Put into the refrigerator to chill for about an hour. Remove
from refrigerator, and slice into cubes.
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >, "elaine" >
wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >, "elaine" >
> > wrote:

> >> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> ---
> >> ------------------------
> >> I love sesame seeds - Here's a recipe for sesame salt -
> >>
> >> Gomashio (Sesame Salt)
> >>
> >> 1 cup sesame seeds
> >> 1 1/3 TBSP sea salt
> >>
> >> Wash seeds, place in frying pan and roast over low heat until golden -
> >> should be easily crushable.
> >>
> >> Remove, add sea salt and grind.
> >>
> >> High in calcium, iron & vitamins A&B; aids in digestion.
> >> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> ---
> >> -------------------------
> >> PS. I'm also enjoying miso : it's a nice change from the usual:
> >>
> >> Miso Dressing (I buy red miso at my local Asian store)
> >> 3 TBSP. miso
> >> 2 TBS rice vinegar
> >> 2-3 TBSP water (I like oil better)
> >> parsley, grated onion..........
> >>
> >> Elaine
> >>

> > Cool ideas, thanks!
> > Is Miso made from Sesame seeds?

> No. I think it's made from soya beans. Normally I wouldn't bother 'cause
> it sounds way too healthy.. But I like the taste in dressings and yes, soup
> too.
>
> > I have some miso out in the 'frige.
> > Am wondering how long it keeps as it's been out there for awhile.
> > I've used some of it to make soup per the directions but there
> > is still quite a bit left.
> >
> > When I bought these, I was perusing the store for more interesting stuff
> > and I also found black sesame seeds! I did not buy them but I'm
> > wondering if anyone knows anything about them???
> >

> I bought black sesame seeds. I don't know if they are any different from
> the usual sesame seeds, but what the heck, they were cheap and I use them
> for my Thai cooking...
> E.

Did you notice any difference in flavor or texture?
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Reg > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > <snips yummy recipes>
> >
> > Thank you! :-)
> >
> > ATM, I just use sesame seeds as a condiment, but all these new ideas
> > look really interestng!

> You're the Emu lady, yes? I hope I don't have that wrong.

Yes. I posted the picture of me and my hug-emu Pauli. :-)

> Anyway, I remember learning a lot from you so I'm glad to
> reciprocate.

You are too sweet!

Cheers!
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om wrote:
>
> > I've really been enjoying using sesame seeds in all kinds of things. To
> > top steamed veggies, use in stir fry's, and even sprinkle onto the top
> > of meat in the Hamilton grill.
> >
> > They just add a nice touch and texture to things.
> >
> > I had purchased a small, 12 oz. shaker can of them for a couple of bucks
> > from the Oriental market but when I went back there yesterday to get
> > more, I found a 5 lb. bag of them....
> >
> > for $3.49. ;-) ;-D ;-d
> >
> > So now I'm just using that bag to refill my shaker can, and sealed the
> > rest in a ziplock and put them into the chest freezer.
> >
> > These are gonna last awhile methinks, but now I can use them as much as
> > I want!

> I recently had kim chee which had been LIBERALLY sprinkled with toasted
> sesame seeds. It was a nice addition.
>
> Bob

Yeah, I'm finding they are a wonderful addition to just about any veggie
dish. They are not all that low carb tho' so I'm going to have to curb
my enthusiasm somewhat. <G>

I did sprinkle some on top of the chicken breasts that I grilled today.
They set well into the meat using the Hamilton grill.

Cheers!
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>

> > I recently had kim chee which had been LIBERALLY sprinkled with toasted
> > sesame seeds. It was a nice addition.
> >
> > Bob

> I use a lot of sesame seeds in my chapchae but never had it in kimchee?
> Goomba

I'm betting they would be good with saurkraut, served with polish
sausage.
--
Om.

elaine

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >, "elaine" >
> wrote:
>
>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message

>> > Cool ideas, thanks!
>> > Is Miso made from Sesame seeds?

>> No. I think it's made from soya beans. Normally I wouldn't bother
>> 'cause
>> it sounds way too healthy.. But I like the taste in dressings and yes,
>> soup
>> too.
>>
>> > I have some miso out in the 'frige.
>> > Am wondering how long it keeps as it's been out there for awhile.
>> > I've used some of it to make soup per the directions but there
>> > is still quite a bit left.
>> >
>> > When I bought these, I was perusing the store for more interesting
>> > stuff
>> > and I also found black sesame seeds! I did not buy them but I'm
>> > wondering if anyone knows anything about them???
>> >

>> I bought black sesame seeds. I don't know if they are any different from
>> the usual sesame seeds, but what the heck, they were cheap and I use them
>> for my Thai cooking...
>> E.
>>

> Did you notice any difference in flavor or texture?
> --
> Om.

Now that I think about it, I like the other ones better -they seemed to have
a nuttier flavour.

E.