Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sesame seeds and leaves

I've been using sesame seeds a LOT in stir fry's, to top-dress salads
and steamed veggies, and even to top some meats on the contact grill.
They add a wonderful flavor (and texture) to a number of foods. I also
carefully use small amounts of sesame oil from time to time but not as
often as I probably should. :-) A little of the toasted oil goes a very
long way as it's very strongly flavored.

I've never made a paste out of seeds but it sounds interesting. I
purchase sesame seeds from the oriental market for $8.00 for 5 lbs. then
store them in the freezer. I have a 10 oz. shaker jar in the spice
cabinet for them that I re-fill as needed.

I've never ever heard of using sesame leaves tho' but it sounds
interesting! I'll have to look for those. The wraps sound kinda like
Dolmas. I'd like to try making Dolmas from fresh grape leaves, if I can
ever get a good edible grape vine growing. The ones I have are the wild
muscadine grapes and those leaves are NOT suitable!

Has anyone here ever tried using sesame leaves?
Does anyone know where I can purchase seeds for growing them?
I'll google for that of course but...... <G>

Cheers!
Om

From this website:

http://drbenkim.com/articles/sesame-health-benefits.htm

Experience The Health Benefits Of Sesame

By Ben Kim, D.C.

Did you know that half a cup of sesame seeds contains three times more
calcium than half a cup of whole milk? In addition to being an excellent
dietary source of calcium, sesame seeds are also a good source of
manganese, copper, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, vitamin B1 (thiamin),
zinc, vitamin E, healthy protein, and fiber.

Sesame seeds also contain sesamin and sesamolin, two substances that are
thought to prevent high blood pressure and protect the liver against
oxidative damage.

Here are two ways in which you can enjoy the distinctive flavor and
health benefits of sesame seeds through your diet:

Sesame Seasoning

Ingredients:

1/2 cup unhulled sesame seeds, available in most health food stores and
some large markets
2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast, also available in most health food
stores
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt

Directions:

Toast unhulled sesame seeds in a dry pan over low to medium heat for
about 5 minutes, or until seeds begin to brown and pop. Be sure to stir
steadiliy while toasting.

Use a strong blender to grind toasted sesame seeds, nutritional yeast,
and sea salt into a fine powder.

This delicious sesame seasoning can be sprinkled generously over
vegetable salads, steamed vegetables, and whole grains like brown rice
and quinoa. Keep leftovers in an airtight container and store in the
refrigerator. The quantities listed above make approximately half a cup
of sesame seasoning.

Tahini (Sesame Seed Paste)

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons of sesame seeds - they don't have to be unhulled
1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 cup of lukewarm water

Directions:

Grind sesame seeds in a blender until smooth. Add sesame oil and sea
salt. Then add 1/4 cup of water in a slow drizzle while blending and
continue until all of the water has been added and the entire mixture is
smooth. The quantities listed above make approximately half a cup of
tahini. Be sure to store leftovers in an airtight container in the
refrigerator.

Note: sesame oil is relatively high in polyunsaturated fatty acids,
which are easily damaged when exposed to heat and light. It is best to
keep your consumption of sesame oil to a minimum. You can substitute the
sesame oil in this recipe with extra water if you are concerned about
your intake of polyunsaturated fatty acids.

Another way to enjoy the health benefits of sesame is to include sesame
leaves in your diet. Sesame leaves are a staple green vegetable in the
traditional Korean diet, and are valued for their mineral density and
strong aroma. They are as aromatic as herbs like basil and mint, but
have a unique, nutty fragrance.

Sesame leaves are difficult to find in most supermarkets. They are
readily available in Korean markets, packaged up in neatly stacked
bundles. They can be used in fresh vegetable salads. They can also be
used as wraps to eat with rice and miso, as described in the following
recipe:

Korean Miso (Den Jang) Wraps

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon of miso (or den jang, the Korean version of miso)
1 1/2 teaspoons of sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon of hot chili paste (optional)
Bowl of cooked brown or white rice
6-12 sesame leaves

Directions:

Mix miso, sesame oil, and hot chilli paste together in a small bowl
until uniform. This mixture is called sahm jang, and is typically served
in a small bowl at the center of the table.

Place a small spoonful of rice in the center of a sesame leaf, add a
small dollop of sahm jang to the rice, wrap it closed with the outer
portions of the sesame leaf, and enjoy. You can use romaine, green
leafy, or red leafy lettuce in addition to using sesame leaves, taking
turns with any and all leafy greens that are available at the table for
each new wrap.

Sesame leaves and sesame seeds come from a flowering plant called
Sesamum indicum, which is an annual plant that grows to about 1.5 to 3
feet in height.

If you come to enjoy sesame leaves, I recommend that you try growing
Sesamum indicum in your vegetable garden. My grandmother has grown this
plant with ease here in Ontario over the past two decades. You can ask
the owner of your local Korean market where you can buy seeds that will
allow you to grow ggaen neep, the Korean word for sesame leaves.
Alternatively, if you can find a Korean neighbor who grows this plant,
ask him or her to save you some of the seeds that appear at the end of
the growing season.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > schreef in bericht
> I've been using sesame seeds a LOT in stir fry's, to top-dress salads
> and steamed veggies, and even to top some meats on the contact grill.
> They add a wonderful flavor (and texture) to a number of foods. I also
> carefully use small amounts of sesame oil from time to time but not as
> often as I probably should. :-) A little of the toasted oil goes a very
> long way as it's very strongly flavored.
>
> I've never made a paste out of seeds but it sounds interesting. I
> purchase sesame seeds from the oriental market for $8.00 for 5 lbs. then
> store them in the freezer. I have a 10 oz. shaker jar in the spice
> cabinet for them that I re-fill as needed.
>
> I've never ever heard of using sesame leaves tho' but it sounds
> interesting! I'll have to look for those. The wraps sound kinda like
> Dolmas. I'd like to try making Dolmas from fresh grape leaves, if I can
> ever get a good edible grape vine growing. The ones I have are the wild
> muscadine grapes and those leaves are NOT suitable!
>
> Has anyone here ever tried using sesame leaves?
> Does anyone know where I can purchase seeds for growing them?
> I'll google for that of course but...... <G>
>
> Cheers!
> Om
> <snip article>

Ccan't answer your question, but are you familiar with gomasio? I think you
might like it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jke" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > schreef in bericht
> > I've been using sesame seeds a LOT in stir fry's, to top-dress salads
> > and steamed veggies, and even to top some meats on the contact grill.
> > They add a wonderful flavor (and texture) to a number of foods. I also
> > carefully use small amounts of sesame oil from time to time but not as
> > often as I probably should. :-) A little of the toasted oil goes a very
> > long way as it's very strongly flavored.
> >
> > I've never made a paste out of seeds but it sounds interesting. I
> > purchase sesame seeds from the oriental market for $8.00 for 5 lbs. then
> > store them in the freezer. I have a 10 oz. shaker jar in the spice
> > cabinet for them that I re-fill as needed.
> >
> > I've never ever heard of using sesame leaves tho' but it sounds
> > interesting! I'll have to look for those. The wraps sound kinda like
> > Dolmas. I'd like to try making Dolmas from fresh grape leaves, if I can
> > ever get a good edible grape vine growing. The ones I have are the wild
> > muscadine grapes and those leaves are NOT suitable!
> >
> > Has anyone here ever tried using sesame leaves?
> > Does anyone know where I can purchase seeds for growing them?
> > I'll google for that of course but...... <G>
> >
> > Cheers!
> > Om
> > <snip article>

> Ccan't answer your question, but are you familiar with gomasio? I think you
> might like it.

Nope!

I'll have to google it. :-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jke" > wrote:

> >> Ccan't answer your question, but are you familiar with gomasio? I think
> >> you
> >> might like it.

> > Nope!
> >
> > I'll have to google it. :-)
> > --
> > Peace!
> > Om
> >

> Didn't want to bother you with the info in case you already knew, but it's
> (toasted) sesame seeds mixed with coarse sea salt. Not sure if the seeds are
> crushed somewhat. It's good sprinkled on salads and sandwiches, for
> isntance. Apparently it's a Japanese thing. Very hgh in flavor and the
> texture can be a nice addition to smooth or leafy things.

Hm, there is a recipe on this website for a similar item and the seeds I
buy are already toasted:

[...]

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

> Hm, there is a recipe on this website for a similar item and the seeds I
> buy are already toasted:
>
> http://drbenkim.com/articles/sesame-health-benefits.htm
>
> Sesame Seasoning
>
> Ingredients:
>
> 1/2 cup unhulled sesame seeds, available in most health food stores and
> some large markets
> 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast, also available in most health food
> stores
> 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
>
> Directions:
>
> Toast unhulled sesame seeds in a dry pan over low to medium heat for
> about 5 minutes, or until seeds begin to brown and pop. Be sure to stir
> steadiliy while toasting.
>
> Use a strong blender to grind toasted sesame seeds, nutritional yeast,
> and sea salt into a fine powder.
>
> This delicious sesame seasoning can be sprinkled generously over
> vegetable salads, steamed vegetables, and whole grains like brown rice
> and quinoa. Keep leftovers in an airtight container and store in the
> refrigerator. The quantities listed above make approximately half a cup
> of sesame seasoning.
> --

I didn't know about the yeast and wonder if they mean fresh yeast (which
wouldn't keep very long). Or maybe they mean the beer yeast flakes that do
keep. Anyway, the recipe soudsn nice and easy. Thank for psoting it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jke" > wrote:

> > Hm, there is a recipe on this website for a similar item and the seeds I
> > buy are already toasted:
> >
> > http://drbenkim.com/articles/sesame-health-benefits.htm
> >
> > Sesame Seasoning
> >
> > Ingredients:
> >
> > 1/2 cup unhulled sesame seeds, available in most health food stores and
> > some large markets
> > 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast, also available in most health food
> > stores
> > 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
> >
> > Directions:
> >
> > Toast unhulled sesame seeds in a dry pan over low to medium heat for
> > about 5 minutes, or until seeds begin to brown and pop. Be sure to stir
> > steadiliy while toasting.
> >
> > Use a strong blender to grind toasted sesame seeds, nutritional yeast,
> > and sea salt into a fine powder.
> >
> > This delicious sesame seasoning can be sprinkled generously over
> > vegetable salads, steamed vegetables, and whole grains like brown rice
> > and quinoa. Keep leftovers in an airtight container and store in the
> > refrigerator. The quantities listed above make approximately half a cup
> > of sesame seasoning.
> > --

> I didn't know about the yeast and wonder if they mean fresh yeast (which
> wouldn't keep very long). Or maybe they mean the beer yeast flakes that do
> keep. Anyway, the recipe soudsn nice and easy. Thank for psoting it.

Most welcome!

He's probably referring to Brewers Yeast. It's easy to find in health
food stores and is an excellent source of B vitamins and has an
interesting flavor.

http://www.vitaminuk.com/pages/artic...ewersyeast.htm
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

>> > --

>> I didn't know about the yeast and wonder if they mean fresh yeast (which
>> wouldn't keep very long). Or maybe they mean the beer yeast flakes that
>> do
>> keep. Anyway, the recipe soudsn nice and easy. Thank for psoting it.

> Most welcome!
>
> He's probably referring to Brewers Yeast. It's easy to find in health
> food stores and is an excellent source of B vitamins and has an
> interesting flavor.
>
> http://www.vitaminuk.com/pages/artic...ewersyeast.htm
> --
> Peace!

That does look like what I meant by beer yeast> I knwo I coudl get it at a
health food store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jke" > wrote:

> >> I didn't know about the yeast and wonder if they mean fresh yeast (which
> >> wouldn't keep very long). Or maybe they mean the beer yeast flakes that
> >> do
> >> keep. Anyway, the recipe soudsn nice and easy. Thank for psoting it.

> > Most welcome!
> >
> > He's probably referring to Brewers Yeast. It's easy to find in health
> > food stores and is an excellent source of B vitamins and has an
> > interesting flavor.
> >
> > http://www.vitaminuk.com/pages/artic...ewersyeast.htm
> > --
> > Peace!

> That does look like what I meant by beer yeast> I knwo I coudl get it at a
> health food store.

Even in Denmark? :-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > schreef in bericht

>> > Most welcome!
>> >
>> > He's probably referring to Brewers Yeast. It's easy to find in health
>> > food stores and is an excellent source of B vitamins and has an
>> > interesting flavor.
>> >
>> > http://www.vitaminuk.com/pages/artic...ewersyeast.htm
>> > --
>> > Peace!

>> That does look like what I meant by beer yeast> I knwo I coudl get it at
>> health food store.

> Even in Denmark? :-)

I don't know about Denmark, I am in Holland I do know about France, too,
though. Those flakes were served on a green salad there, and had been bought
in an organic store. The same is possible here.

> --
> Peace!
> Om
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
> -- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jke" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > schreef in bericht

> >> That does look like what I meant by beer yeast> I knwo I coudl get it at
> >> health food store.

> > Even in Denmark? :-)

> I don't know about Denmark, I am in Holland I do know about France, too,
> though. Those flakes were served on a green salad there, and had been bought
> in an organic store. The same is possible here.

--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson