Posted to rec.food.cooking
amandaF amandaF is offline

Default storing Indian spice; storing raw and roasted sesame seeds

On Sep 7, 10:26 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> >I have a few Indian spice in individual bottles but what if I do this:
> > put each of them in ziplock bag and then place all these ziplock bags
> > in a big airtight rubbermaid container? I am assuming that these
> > containers are airtight. May be not enough for spice? Then is there
> > anyhtign made of plastic, i.e light material to store them and in fact
> > minimize space by placing them in the same container. I use them
> > rarely but I want to keep them; I am not ready to leave them behind
> > when I move.

> > I also have raw sesame seeds in a bottle. I was going to make hummus
> > but never got aorund to it except roast some of them. Bottles are
> > heavy to carry when I move. Even if I hire people, I still have to put
> > them in place. Beside, there is space issue in th condo I will be
> > moving to. So what if I put them in seperate ziplock bag? Do I need to
> > place the bag in airtight container? I have lots of rubber maid
> > container.

> I'm not really following this. Why do you want to store them? And where?
> Like in a storage unit?

No, I want to take them with me..wherever I got, i.e contract job.
Living out of suitcase, you know? Only for some times.

> Spices are only good for so long and then they lose potency. That's why you
> shouldn't buy too many at one time. Seeds will go rancid.

The problem was I bought them and not use them. Then I threw away. But
I got a couple of new one recently liek 2 weeks - I like both + I
bougth some little packages stuff that I haven't even opened. For
example, this Tandoori spice was 2.00 for just a little bit like one
serving. It said now MSG, no artificial coloring, etc. The one that
are not new but still good, I think, are things like dried curry
leave. I don't make dal often enough and so I have a bunch left. They
are still good, well good enough for me. I don't plan to eat rice and
curry (especially Indian kind) but I wan to keep them.

> I would assume anything you have in a bottle would be safe to keep it in
> there as is. I've made several coast to coast moves and the movers have
> always moved my spices. They wrap each jar in paper.

I am not moving with movers for contract job. I will use them to store
my furniture only. You guys didn't read my post; makes me tired
having to explain so much when I said I want to keep them with *me*.
What's the point of storing food ina storage unless it is for a
couple of week?

> They'll move canned
> goods too. They won't move perishables and in some cases liquids that might
> spill onto other things.

I have red wine vinegar, etc. that are unopened. I am thinking to
have a luggage to carry my food item - dried food in pacakges like
mushroom and flowers used in Asian soup (I hate that they sell in big
packges only; I can never use them all quickly cus I don't make Asian
food that much; I don't know what cuisine my food would fall under)
and spice with me. I hate shopping and so I am thinking to find a way
to carry my dried noodle (many different kinds) as well. Hence luggage
idea.