Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default storing Indian spice; storing raw and roasted sesame seeds

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a few Indian spice in individual bottles but what if I do this:
> put each of them in ziplock bag and then place all these ziplock bags
> in a big airtight rubbermaid container? I am assuming that these
> containers are airtight. May be not enough for spice? Then is there
> anyhtign made of plastic, i.e light material to store them and in fact
> minimize space by placing them in the same container. I use them
> rarely but I want to keep them; I am not ready to leave them behind
> when I move.
>
> I also have raw sesame seeds in a bottle. I was going to make hummus
> but never got aorund to it except roast some of them. Bottles are
> heavy to carry when I move. Even if I hire people, I still have to put
> them in place. Beside, there is space issue in th condo I will be
> moving to. So what if I put them in seperate ziplock bag? Do I need to
> place the bag in airtight container? I have lots of rubber maid
> container.

I'm not really following this. Why do you want to store them? And where?
Like in a storage unit?

Spices are only good for so long and then they lose potency. That's why you
shouldn't buy too many at one time. Seeds will go rancid.

I would assume anything you have in a bottle would be safe to keep it in
there as is. I've made several coast to coast moves and the movers have
always moved my spices. They wrap each jar in paper. They'll move canned
goods too. They won't move perishables and in some cases liquids that might
spill onto other things.