Posted to rec.food.cooking
amandaF amandaF is offline

Default storing Indian spice; storing raw and roasted sesame seeds

On Sep 8, 3:33 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> >I have a few Indian spice in individual bottles but what if I do this:
> > put each of them in ziplock bag and then place all these ziplock bags
> > in a big airtight rubbermaid container? I am assuming that these
> > containers are airtight. May be not enough for spice? Then is there
> > anyhtign made of plastic, i.e light material to store them and in fact
> > minimize space by placing them in the same container. I use them
> > rarely but I want to keep them; I am not ready to leave them behind
> > when I move.

> > I also have raw sesame seeds in a bottle. I was going to make hummus
> > but never got aorund to it except roast some of them. Bottles are
> > heavy to carry when I move. Even if I hire people, I still have to put
> > them in place. Beside, there is space issue in th condo I will be
> > moving to. So what if I put them in seperate ziplock bag? Do I need to
> > place the bag in airtight container? I have lots of rubber maid
> > container.

> Put what you want to store in a ziplock bag, compresss the air out, and
> freeze it. You can take what you're going to use out of the freezer anytime.
> This doesn't work as well for powders. All the Indian seasonings I buy are
> the original seeds, and so forth, and I grind just before use.

Grinding is out of the question for me though I have bought the seeds
as well. I don't like raw and so was going to roast first, the way
we do back home. But no time.

So, how about this? I put the spices in sandwich bags and then place
them in a ziplock bag and then place those in my 8 quart pressure
cooker. I can seal the weight thing with some strong tape. I'll start
a thread and see who'd say that pressure cooker would be considered
airtight if sealed that way.