Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Frozen food storage

As I was washing the plastice jars from two large jars of Ragu and Prego sauce a
while ago, I wondered, could one of these jars be used to freeze the leftover
sauce? I know there will be leftovers, and although I have a lot of plastic
freezer containers, I don't have one that's great for sauce like this. Any harm?
The top screws on tight enough. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 20, 6:11?pm, wrote:
> As I was washing the plastice jars from two large jars of Ragu and Prego sauce a
> while ago, I wondered, could one of these jars be used to freeze the leftover
> sauce? I know there will be leftovers, and although I have a lot of plastic
> freezer containers, I don't have one that's great for sauce like this. Any harm?
> The top screws on tight enough. Thanks.

Those are not tempered glass so they are likely to shatter if shocked
when frozen. And one should never freeze any liquid in glass, liquid
expands while freezing and can easly shatter glasss containers,
especially those untempered jars. There are a huge variety of plastic
containers suitable for freezing, very reasonably priced and
reusable. But you may safely use those jars for refrigerator storage.
I use mayo jars for my pickled jalapenos... good I saved a bunch as
all mayo is packaged in plastic jars now.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Aug 20, 6:11?pm, wrote:
>> As I was washing the

plastice jars

>> from two large jars of Ragu and Prego sauce a
>> while ago, I wondered, could one of these jars be used to freeze the
>> leftover
>> sauce? I know there will be leftovers, and although I have a lot of
>> plastic
>> freezer containers, I don't have one that's great for sauce like this.
>> Any harm?
>> The top screws on tight enough. Thanks.

> Those are not tempered glass

Re-read his post, above.

> so they are likely to shatter if shocked
> when frozen. And one should never freeze any liquid in glass, liquid
> expands while freezing and can easly shatter glasss containers,
> especially those untempered jars.

> There are a huge variety of plastic
> containers suitable for freezing, very reasonably priced and
> reusable. But you may safely use those jars for refrigerator storage.
> I use mayo jars for my pickled jalapenos... good I saved a bunch as
> all mayo is packaged in plastic jars now.

Yup. I think that he said that his Ragu and Prego came in plastic jars.

> Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> As I was washing the plastice jars from two large jars of Ragu and Prego
> sauce a
> while ago, I wondered, could one of these jars be used to freeze the
> leftover
> sauce? I know there will be leftovers, and although I have a lot of
> plastic
> freezer containers, I don't have one that's great for sauce like this. Any
> harm?
> The top screws on tight enough. Thanks.

I see only one problem, the jar style. If you look at the glass freezer
jars, they have a wide mouth straight top while the typical glass jar has a
narrower top and shoulders at the neck.

Even though yours are plastic, they would be subjected to the same forces as
the glass. When the sauce freezes it will expand and break the top portion
from pressure. Plastic may or may not break as it will probably bulge
outward first. I've frozen half bottles of water with good results (I fill
the rest with water and have a cold drink for a long time), I'd not take the
chance with a sauce and a full jar. It could crack or worse.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> As I was washing the plastice jars from two large jars of Ragu and Prego
>> sauce a
>> while ago, I wondered, could one of these jars be used to freeze the
>> leftover
>> sauce? I know there will be leftovers, and although I have a lot of
>> plastic
>> freezer containers, I don't have one that's great for sauce like this.
>> Any harm?
>> The top screws on tight enough. Thanks.
>>

> I see only one problem, the jar style. If you look at the glass freezer
> jars, they have a wide mouth straight top while the typical glass jar has
> a narrower top and shoulders at the neck.
>
> Even though yours are plastic, they would be subjected to the same forces
> as the glass. When the sauce freezes it will expand and break the top
> portion from pressure. Plastic may or may not break as it will probably
> bulge outward first. I've frozen half bottles of water with good results
> (I fill the rest with water and have a cold drink for a long time), I'd
> not take the chance with a sauce and a full jar. It could crack or worse.

zzzzzzzzz.........

Leave some headroom (space) at the top of the jar when filling, and leave
the lids loose until the contents are frozen. Same as you would if using
glass. Do you need the clouds to part and the friggin' voice of god to
explain this? You just got exactly that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> As I was washing the plastice jars from two large jars of Ragu and Prego
> sauce a
> while ago, I wondered, could one of these jars be used to freeze the
> leftover
> sauce? I know there will be leftovers, and although I have a lot of
> plastic
> freezer containers, I don't have one that's great for sauce like this. Any
> harm?
> The top screws on tight enough. Thanks.

Jesus H. Christ, people!! Can't any of you read? This is 4th grade reading
comprehension. I quote;

"As I was washing the plastice jars from two large jars of Ragu and Prego
sauce..."

PLASTICE (sic) JARS

People actually post to refute that plastic was what the jars in question
were made of. No wonder there's so many problems in the world - people start
arguing without even knowing what they're talking about. And we expect
people to be able to use a freaking election ballot? Scary...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> zzzzzzzzz.........
>
> Leave some headroom (space) at the top of the jar when filling, and leave
> the lids loose until the contents are frozen. Same as you would if using
> glass. Do you need the clouds to part and the friggin' voice of god to
> explain this? You just got exactly that.

Does not necessarily solve the problem. Too much headspace = too much air.
Some plastics will still bulge. Some plastics are not made for freezing and
do not perform as well and can crack.
Do you need the clouds to part and the friggin' voice of god to explain
this? You just got exactly that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
>> zzzzzzzzz.........
>>
>> Leave some headroom (space) at the top of the jar when filling, and leave
>> the lids loose until the contents are frozen. Same as you would if using
>> glass. Do you need the clouds to part and the friggin' voice of god to
>> explain this? You just got exactly that.

> Does not necessarily solve the problem. Too much headspace = too much
> air. Some plastics will still bulge. Some plastics are not made for
> freezing and do not perform as well and can crack.
> Do you need the clouds to part and the friggin' voice of god to explain
> this? You just got exactly that.

But even if it does bulge and crack it still won't cause TEOTWAWKI. It's
just a plastic jar and if he loses one jar of something, oh well.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 21, 7:56?am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> Serene wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> >> No, the OP said they have plastic freezer containers. No mention of
> >> the jars being plastic. In fact, I've never seen spaghetti sauce
> >> sold in plastic jars. Doesn't mean there isn't such a thing, just
> >> sayin'.

> > I'm quoting from above:

> > "As I was washing the plastice jars from two large jars of Ragu"

> > Seems clear to me they said they were washing plastic jars. What am
> > I missing?

> > Serene

> Sorry I missed that. I've never seen Ragu in plastic jars.

Me neither... in fact I was shopping yesterday and looked because I
don't buy jarred sauce and was curious to see if things changed like
with so many other jarred products, but all jarred sauces were still
in glass jars... perhaps a regional thing. And the way the OP typed
and expressed himself it was easy to gloss over. I did notice that
Claussen refrigerated pickles are now in plastic jars, bummer.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Aug 21, 7:56?am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> Serene wrote:

>> > I'm quoting from above:

>> > "As I was washing the plastice jars from two large jars of Ragu"

>> > Seems clear to me they said they were washing plastic jars. What am
>> > I missing?

>> > Serene

>> Sorry I missed that. I've never seen Ragu in plastic jars.

> Me neither... in fact I was shopping yesterday and looked because I
> don't buy jarred sauce and was curious to see if things changed like
> with so many other jarred products, but all jarred sauces were still
> in glass jars... perhaps a regional thing. And the way the OP typed
> and expressed himself it was easy to gloss over. I did notice that
> Claussen refrigerated pickles are now in plastic jars, bummer.
>
> Sheldon

Weird. Here (Rochester), Ragu & Prego are in plastic, and Claussen is in
glass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 20, 11:09?pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> > zzzzzzzzz.........

> > Leave some headroom (space) at the top of the jar when filling, and leave
> > the lids loose until the contents are frozen. Same as you would if using
> > glass. Do you need the clouds to part and the friggin' voice of god to
> > explain this? You just got exactly that.

> Does not necessarily solve the problem. Too much headspace = too much air.
> Some plastics will still bulge. Some plastics are not made for freezing and
> do not perform as well and can crack.
> Do you need the clouds to part and the friggin' voice of god to explain
> this? You just got exactly that.

Correct, regardless the shape of container and filling precautions the
container can crack/shatter... liquids like sauce have a higher
viscosity, a frozen ridge will form where the top surface meets the
container and so will expand outward at a greater rate than they
expand upwards. I don't know why anyone would want to freeze foods in
cylindrical containers anyway, they waste too much precious freezer
space... I use those new so-called disposable rectangular plastic
containers, they stack like bricks with just enough sapce for good air
circulation... and they are quite reusable, just don't attempt to
remove the lids while still frozen solid. The lids seem to be made of
a different plastic from the bodies and are more prone to breakage
when frozen.

That said I've never experienced a breakage problem freezing bottles
of vodka.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> ... I use those new so-called disposable rectangular plastic
> containers, they stack like bricks with just enough sapce for good air
> circulation... and they are quite reusable, just don't attempt to
> remove the lids while still frozen solid. The lids seem to be made of
> a different plastic from the bodies and are more prone to breakage
> when frozen.

Yup. Have some of those too. Know what you mean...

> That said I've never experienced a breakage problem freezing bottles
> of vodka.

LOL. I've heard that alcohol freezes at a much lower temperature than water,
so your vodka must be the "good stuff"
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>As I was washing the plastice jars from two large jars of Ragu and
>>Prego sauce a
>>while ago, I wondered, could one of these jars be used to freeze
>>the leftover
>>sauce?

> Those jars are NOT the best quality glass in the market . Of
> course,
> you can do it...but they were never manufactured to be reused for
> recanning or freezing.

My mother (a leftover-saving addict) has been using glass pasta jars
to freeze stuff in for years. I almost never use "store bought"
pasta sauce but I have lots of stuff in the freezer in those used
jars of hers. I don't recall any of them ever breaking other than
when butterfingers here dropped one.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass