Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Frozen food storage

On Aug 20, 6:11?pm, wrote:
> As I was washing the plastice jars from two large jars of Ragu and Prego sauce a
> while ago, I wondered, could one of these jars be used to freeze the leftover
> sauce? I know there will be leftovers, and although I have a lot of plastic
> freezer containers, I don't have one that's great for sauce like this. Any harm?
> The top screws on tight enough. Thanks.

Those are not tempered glass so they are likely to shatter if shocked
when frozen. And one should never freeze any liquid in glass, liquid
expands while freezing and can easly shatter glasss containers,
especially those untempered jars. There are a huge variety of plastic
containers suitable for freezing, very reasonably priced and
reusable. But you may safely use those jars for refrigerator storage.
I use mayo jars for my pickled jalapenos... good I saved a bunch as
all mayo is packaged in plastic jars now.

Sheldon