Member

Location: Pensacola, FL
Send a message via Skype™ to Dr. John Burge
Question Long Term Food Storage

We are storing up food (and water) for an all out long-term emergency. We have stored 100 gallons of water and have constructed a rain water harvesting system. Additionally we have racked up a number of canned goods and staples as well as a large supply of MRE's and dehydrated foods. We want to store rice and beans in a large quantity for feeding large groups but have held off because of the high potential of little critters often found in raw rice and wheat or corn products - flour and corn meal for instance. Does anyone have a tried and true method of storing a large quantity rice (100 lb sacks) for a long period of time (months and years)? Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Long Term Food Storage

On May 22, 11:28*am, Dr. John Burge
> wrote:
> We are storing up food (and water) for an all out long-term emergency.
> We have stored 100 gallons of water and have constructed a rain water
> harvesting system. *Additionally we have racked up a number of canned
> goods and staples as well as a large supply of MRE's and dehydrated
> foods. *We want to store rice and beans in a large quantity for feeding
> large groups but have held off because of the high potential of little
> critters often found in raw rice and wheat or corn products - flour and
> corn meal for instance. *Does anyone have a tried and true method of
> storing a large quantity rice (100 lb sacks) for a long period of time
> (months and years)? *Thanks.
>
> --
> Dr. John Burge

Be sure you have your tinfoil hats at the ready!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 May 2012 18:28:44 +0000, Dr. John Burge
> wrote:

>We are storing up food (and water) for an all out long-term emergency.
>We have stored 100 gallons of water and have constructed a rain water
>harvesting system. Additionally we have racked up a number of canned
>goods and staples as well as a large supply of MRE's and dehydrated
>foods. We want to store rice and beans in a large quantity for feeding
>large groups but have held off because of the high potential of little
>critters often found in raw rice and wheat or corn products - flour and
>corn meal for instance. Does anyone have a tried and true method of
>storing a large quantity rice (100 lb sacks) for a long period of time
>(months and years)? Thanks.

Raw rice can be nitrogen packed just like coffee...
http://www.prepareco.com/Bulk_Long_W...ice_p/1016.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dr. John Burge" > wrote in
message news

> We are storing up food (and water) for an all out long-term emergency.
> We have stored 100 gallons of water and have constructed a rain water
> harvesting system. Additionally we have racked up a number of canned
> goods and staples as well as a large supply of MRE's and dehydrated
> foods. We want to store rice and beans in a large quantity for feeding
> large groups but have held off because of the high potential of little
> critters often found in raw rice and wheat or corn products - flour and
> corn meal for instance. Does anyone have a tried and true method of
> storing a large quantity rice (100 lb sacks) for a long period of time
> (months and years)? Thanks.

John, the general rule is store what you eat now, or the nearest long-life
equivalent. MREs are just about OK but if you don't like chilli or chicken
then there is no point in storing packet or tinned versions of either
thinking that if you are hungry enough you will eat them, though if you are
in a larger group there will probably be someone who likes them. If it is
just for your own family there are plenty of alternatives, so store what you
enjoy. If you can store what you already use you are also more likely to
constantly rotate your stocks so that they remain fresh.

To some extent what you store also depends on the extent of your other
stocks, such as water and fuel. If you have limited space for, and access to
further supplies of either, then you need food that is ready to eat rather
than things which need rehydrating or cooking. You can eat baked beans or
tinned chicken curry cold and straight from the can even if they are not the
most appetising that way but rice is hard to digest when dry and uncooked,
so even if you have a 25 pound bag of it you are likely to go hungry if you
have little water and no fuel available. If, however, you have plenty of
fuel and a reliable source of water then dehydrated foods like pasta, rice,
noodles, etc. are light, relatively cheap, long-life and easy to store in
bulk.

The most secure way is separate large bags into smaller Mylar bags,
preferably 1 family meal sized portion per bag, vacuum evacuate the air and
then heat seal the bag. Mark the bag with it's contents, the date stored,
and any special cooking instructions, then place dry ice or oxygen absorbers
in a larger Mylar bag in a sealable container such as a food-grade 5 gallon
barrel with an air-tight top. When the evaporating ice has displaced most of
the air or immediately after adding the O2 absorber and food bags, fit the
top and seal it. Then place the container in a suitably dry cool place. If
the temperature range where you are is quite wide, it is probably best to
bury the containers, preferably under an outbuilding where the ground will
not freeze too hard for you to dig up the container if you need it in
winter. Dried food stored this way will last for at least 15 years and some
for far longer.

Try http://www.sorbertsystems.com, or http://waltonfeed.com, or someone from
your local LDS community, for sources of relevant supplies. Some LDS online
sites also offer a lot of good information about food storage and much else
in the way of prepping.

--

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dr. John Burge" > wrote in
message news

> We are storing up food (and water) for an all out long-term emergency.

The most important thing to have is weapons to protect your hoard from
hungry enemies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/23/2012 7:26 AM, news wrote:
> "Dr. John > wrote in
> message news
>>
>> We are storing up food (and water) for an all out long-term emergency.

> The most important thing to have is weapons to protect your hoard from
> hungry enemies.

Oh, he's got LOTS of those. And lots of imaginary enemies, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 May 2012 18:28:44 +0000, Dr. John Burge
> wrote:

>We are storing up food (and water) for an all out long-term emergency.
>We have stored 100 gallons of water and have constructed a rain water
>harvesting system. Additionally we have racked up a number of canned
>goods and staples as well as a large supply of MRE's and dehydrated
>foods. We want to store rice and beans in a large quantity for feeding
>large groups but have held off because of the high potential of little
>critters often found in raw rice and wheat or corn products - flour and
>corn meal for instance. Does anyone have a tried and true method of
>storing a large quantity rice (100 lb sacks) for a long period of time
>(months and years)? Thanks.

Better get your arse in gear Doc. You've only got 4 days left.
http://the-end.com/2008GodsFinalWitn...FWQDQAod80WB2g

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 1:28*pm, Dr. John Burge
> wrote:
> We are storing up food (and water) for an all out long-term emergency.
> We have stored 100 gallons of water and have constructed a rain water
> harvesting system. *Additionally we have racked up a number of canned
> goods and staples as well as a large supply of MRE's and dehydrated
> foods. *We want to store rice and beans in a large quantity for feeding
> large groups but have held off because of the high potential of little
> critters often found in raw rice and wheat or corn products - flour and
> corn meal for instance. *Does anyone have a tried and true method of
> storing a large quantity rice (100 lb sacks) for a long period of time
> (months and years)? *Thanks.
>
> --
> Dr. John Burge

A doomsday believer, eh? Buy the rice in small enough quantities to
put it in the freezer for a day or so before storing it - should kill
anything already there. In any event, people who store large
quantities of water, canned goods and dry goods are told to routinely
rotate it into current meals and then replace it, so cans don't burst
and critters don't take over.

I had a can of sauerkraut in my pantry for probably 5-6 years before I
noticed it had burst its seams...and there wasn't any dent in it to
begin with - it just did that on its own fermentation schedule. Be
careful. You don't want to survive whatever doomsday comes and then
die of botulism.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 6:20*am, Janet > wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>

> > On 5/22/2012 2:28 PM, Dr. John Burge wrote:
> > > We are storing up food (and water) for an all out long-term emergency..
> > > We have stored 100 gallons of water and have constructed a rain water
> > > harvesting system. *Additionally we have racked up a number of canned
> > > goods and staples as well as a large supply of MRE's and dehydrated
> > > foods. *We want to store rice and beans in a large quantity for feeding
> > > large groups but have held off because of the high potential of little
> > > critters often found in raw rice and wheat or corn products - flour and
> > > corn meal for instance. *Does anyone have a tried and true method of
> > > storing a large quantity rice (100 lb sacks) for a long period of time
> > > (months and years)? *Thanks.

> > What about plastic bins? *I'm sure if critters want to get in they can,
> > but it makes it harder.

> * *He means insects mites and weevils etc, which are often already "in"
> grains etc, from bulk handling plants. Keeping a 56 lb sack of rice or
> flour in a plastic bin, warm and dry, is *like sending all those mites and
> weevils on a luxury holiday cruise for a year; nothing to do but lie
> around eating and having sex.
>
> * * *Janet.

LOL - great image, thanks! ;-)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-23 14:11:50 +0000, Hell Toupee said:

>> The most important thing to have is weapons to protect your hoard from
>> hungry enemies.

> Oh, he's got LOTS of those. And lots of imaginary enemies, too.

They are even worse! They keep you from sleeping at night and
frequently turn your friends and family into foes.

On another note, the "long term emergency" initially stated, is that
just logically to be assumed as the complete collapse of modern
society? I thought it might meen a devastating earthquake that cut off
highly populated communities from power and supplies for many weeks,
perhaps months. But here I guess we're assuming no relief whatever
from governmental services or aid groups.

I would think if we were talking a collapse of society, that getting a
crew together for ensuring consistent water supply, and farming would
be job #1, including the equipment, seed, and other aspects needed to
feed the necessary people for many years.

With all the guns and ammo imaginable and safe access to your food and
water, next year you'll need more of both, and a family of two adults
and two children could have a hard time growing enough food to keep
starvation at bay for very long.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

news wrote:

> "Dr. John Burge" > wrote in
> message news
> >
> > We are storing up food (and water) for an all out long-term emergency.

> The most important thing to have is weapons to protect your hoard from
> hungry enemies.

I'm having visions of the Road Warrior movies here. ehheh

And in my opinion:

1) replace your stored water often. You keep it too long and it turns into
swamp water
2) replace your canned food often too. They do have expiration dates.
3) Insect eggs are common in grains. You can sterilize them in the oven
before storing.
4) tin foil hats and weapons are optional.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

news wrote:

> "Dr. John Burge" > wrote in
> message news
> >
> > We are storing up food (and water) for an all out long-term emergency.

> The most important thing to have is weapons to protect your hoard from
> hungry enemies.

Heck, if you have guns and ammo, you don't
need food as long as you know where John lives.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dr. John Burge > wrote:
> We are storing up food (and water) for an all out long-term emergency.
> We have stored 100 gallons of water and have constructed a rain water
> harvesting system. Additionally we have racked up a number of canned
> goods and staples as well as a large supply of MRE's and dehydrated
> foods. We want to store rice and beans in a large quantity for feeding
> large groups but have held off because of the high potential of little
> critters often found in raw rice and wheat or corn products - flour and
> corn meal for instance. Does anyone have a tried and true method of
> storing a large quantity rice (100 lb sacks) for a long period of time
> (months and years)? Thanks.

What I worry about, besides food, if the power grid went out in the winter,
you need wood and a stove. No electricity, everything becomes unavailable.
You might need to listen to special radio stations. Communication, ham and
cb. Need solar panels or other generation. Forget about gasoline. Need to
get through the winter, hopefully with emergency supplies from troops. Snow
might help. Need clorox.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-23 22:36:15 +0000, Mark Thorson said:

> Heck, if you have guns and ammo, you don't
> need food as long as you know where John lives.

Bad news. John's out of food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

> On 2012-05-23 22:36:15 +0000, Mark Thorson said:
>
> > Heck, if you have guns and ammo, you don't
> > need food as long as you know where John lives.

> Bad news. John's out of food.

If you're desparate enough, John _is_ food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 May 2012 18:42:57 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> If you think any situation involving people struggling to feed and protect
> themselves while resisting the attempts of others to take what they have is
> 'Utopian', you have lived a very sheltered and privileged life!
>
> The numbers of weapons, and even of people, on one side or the other is by
> no means the deciding factor in any battle and many other things come into
> play. The normal ratio of attackers to defenders considered to be required
> for a successful assault by *trained troops* is 9 to 1, because of the
> advantages of equally trained defenders in terms of cover, protection,
> obstacles, etc. That ratio can be reduced if the attackers are substantially
> better skilled and equipped than the defenders or it can go the other way if
> the defenders are better. However there are some definite requirements for
> mounting a successful defence and they do to some extent require having
> enough people to, as just one example, cover all likely approaches to the
> defended position. That is where a single small family unit usually fails,
> unless the approach routes can be restricted and the attackers suitably
> channelled, but where a larger community can succeed. Buried supplies
> should always be considered a stop-gap for use until other supplies become
> available, either due to restoration of a more normal situation or through
> gardening/farming hunting and gathering and appropriate preservation of any
> surpluses. Mankind has recognised the benefits of living in communities
> since the stone age. We have faced starvation and flood and freeze, fire,
> war and disease. We are still here. Those who prepare and co-operate
> invariably survive longer and better than those who do not.
> --

Good for you, Ophelia! You rarely speak your mind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/23/2012 12:53 PM, gtr wrote:

> They are even worse! They keep you from sleeping at night and frequently
> turn your friends and family into foes.
>
> On another note, the "long term emergency" initially stated, is that
> just logically to be assumed as the complete collapse of modern society?
> I thought it might meen a devastating earthquake that cut off highly
> populated communities from power and supplies for many weeks, perhaps
> months. But here I guess we're assuming no relief whatever from
> governmental services or aid groups.
>
> I would think if we were talking a collapse of society, that getting a
> crew together for ensuring consistent water supply, and farming would be
> job #1, including the equipment, seed, and other aspects needed to feed
> the necessary people for many years.

But what if the land you find is inhabitable for farming? H/she might
be talking about radiation and total annihilation of actual land.

> With all the guns and ammo imaginable and safe access to your food and
> water, next year you'll need more of both, and a family of two adults
> and two children could have a hard time growing enough food to keep
> starvation at bay for very long.

And the ground may have turned into coal or ash.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/23/2012 4:30 PM, Gary wrote:
> news wrote:
>>
>> "Dr. John > wrote in
>> message news
>>>
>>> We are storing up food (and water) for an all out long-term emergency.

>> The most important thing to have is weapons to protect your hoard from
>> hungry enemies.

> I'm having visions of the Road Warrior movies here. ehheh
>
> And in my opinion:
>
> 1) replace your stored water often. You keep it too long and it turns into
> swamp water
> 2) replace your canned food often too. They do have expiration dates.
> 3) Insect eggs are common in grains. You can sterilize them in the oven
> before storing.
> 4) tin foil hats and weapons are optional.

Sorry, but tin foil hats are mandatory.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <2012052317112340099-xxx@yyyzzz>, says...

> On 2012-05-23 22:36:15 +0000, Mark Thorson said:
>
> > Heck, if you have guns and ammo, you don't
> > need food as long as you know where John lives.

> Bad news. John's out of food.

No problem, we'll eat John.

Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-24 05:28:20 +0000, Cheryl said:

>> I would think if we were talking a collapse of society, that getting a
>> crew together for ensuring consistent water supply, and farming would be
>> job #1, including the equipment, seed, and other aspects needed to feed
>> the necessary people for many years.

> But what if the land you find is inhabitable for farming?

Inhabitable means "suitable to live in". So I can't parse that sentence..

> H/she might be talking about radiation and total annihilation of actual land.

If the land is annihilated you will die when your food and water runs
out. So that's that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Wed, 23 May 2012 18:42:57 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

> > If you think any situation involving people struggling to feed and protect
> > themselves while resisting the attempts of others to take what they have is
> > 'Utopian', you have lived a very sheltered and privileged life!
> >
> > The numbers of weapons, and even of people, on one side or the other is by
> > no means the deciding factor in any battle and many other things come into
> > play. The normal ratio of attackers to defenders considered to be required
> > for a successful assault by *trained troops* is 9 to 1, because of the
> > advantages of equally trained defenders in terms of cover, protection,
> > obstacles, etc. That ratio can be reduced if the attackers are substantially
> > better skilled and equipped than the defenders or it can go the other way if
> > the defenders are better. However there are some definite requirements for
> > mounting a successful defence and they do to some extent require having
> > enough people to, as just one example, cover all likely approaches to the
> > defended position. That is where a single small family unit usually fails,
> > unless the approach routes can be restricted and the attackers suitably
> > channelled, but where a larger community can succeed. Buried supplies
> > should always be considered a stop-gap for use until other supplies become
> > available, either due to restoration of a more normal situation or through
> > gardening/farming hunting and gathering and appropriate preservation of any
> > surpluses. Mankind has recognised the benefits of living in communities
> > since the stone age. We have faced starvation and flood and freeze, fire,
> > war and disease. We are still here. Those who prepare and co-operate
> > invariably survive longer and better than those who do not.
> > --

> Good for you, Ophelia! You rarely speak your mind.

LOL. Didn't you recognise David?

Janet
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> On Wed, 23 May 2012 18:42:57 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>

>> > If you think any situation involving people struggling to feed and
>> > protect
>> > themselves while resisting the attempts of others to take what they
>> > have is
>> > 'Utopian', you have lived a very sheltered and privileged life!
>> >
>> > The numbers of weapons, and even of people, on one side or the other is
>> > by
>> > no means the deciding factor in any battle and many other things come
>> > into
>> > play. The normal ratio of attackers to defenders considered to be
>> > required
>> > for a successful assault by *trained troops* is 9 to 1, because of the
>> > advantages of equally trained defenders in terms of cover, protection,
>> > obstacles, etc. That ratio can be reduced if the attackers are
>> > substantially
>> > better skilled and equipped than the defenders or it can go the other
>> > way if
>> > the defenders are better. However there are some definite requirements
>> > for
>> > mounting a successful defence and they do to some extent require having
>> > enough people to, as just one example, cover all likely approaches to
>> > the
>> > defended position. That is where a single small family unit usually
>> > fails,
>> > unless the approach routes can be restricted and the attackers suitably
>> > channelled, but where a larger community can succeed. Buried supplies
>> > should always be considered a stop-gap for use until other supplies
>> > become
>> > available, either due to restoration of a more normal situation or
>> > through
>> > gardening/farming hunting and gathering and appropriate preservation of
>> > any
>> > surpluses. Mankind has recognised the benefits of living in communities
>> > since the stone age. We have faced starvation and flood and freeze,
>> > fire,
>> > war and disease. We are still here. Those who prepare and co-operate
>> > invariably survive longer and better than those who do not.
>> > --

>> Good for you, Ophelia! You rarely speak your mind.

> LOL. Didn't you recognise David?
>
> Janet

Noted!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 May 2012 01:14:23 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> Agree. I got the thought that it was Armageddon thinking as well and
> I'd keep it a secret

Armageddon thinking is beyond me, but I can understand disaster
preparedness planning. I don't know how it works differently for
tornado, flood or fire - but being in earthquake territory, (natural)
disaster preparedness makes complete sense to me.

> but I'd still rather be at ground zero.

Me too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Armageddon thinking is beyond me, but I can understand disaster
> preparedness planning. I don't know how it works differently for
> tornado, flood or fire - but being in earthquake territory, (natural)
> disaster preparedness makes complete sense to me.

I live in summer/fall hurricane territory. I do plan for that each year.

Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 May 2012 08:34:29 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>On May 22, 1:28*pm, Dr. John Burge
> wrote:
>> We are storing up food (and water) for an all out long-term emergency.
>> We have stored 100 gallons of water and have constructed a rain water
>> harvesting system. *Additionally we have racked up a number of canned
>> goods and staples as well as a large supply of MRE's and dehydrated
>> foods. *We want to store rice and beans in a large quantity for feeding
>> large groups but have held off because of the high potential of little
>> critters often found in raw rice and wheat or corn products - flour and
>> corn meal for instance. *Does anyone have a tried and true method of
>> storing a large quantity rice (100 lb sacks) for a long period of time
>> (months and years)? *Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Dr. John Burge

>A doomsday believer, eh? Buy the rice in small enough quantities to
>put it in the freezer for a day or so before storing it - should kill
>anything already there.

Freezing doesn't help, insect eggs routinely survive long fridgid
winters, in fact many insects eggs need to be frozen to hatch. Heat
will kill insect eggs, microwave raw rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Wed, 23 May 2012 08:34:29 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
> >On May 22, 1:28 pm, Dr. John Burge
> > wrote:
> >> We are storing up food (and water) for an all out long-term emergency.
> >> We have stored 100 gallons of water and have constructed a rain water
> >> harvesting system. Additionally we have racked up a number of canned
> >> goods and staples as well as a large supply of MRE's and dehydrated
> >> foods. We want to store rice and beans in a large quantity for feeding
> >> large groups but have held off because of the high potential of little
> >> critters often found in raw rice and wheat or corn products - flour and
> >> corn meal for instance. Does anyone have a tried and true method of
> >> storing a large quantity rice (100 lb sacks) for a long period of time
> >> (months and years)? Thanks.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Dr. John Burge

> >A doomsday believer, eh? Buy the rice in small enough quantities to
> >put it in the freezer for a day or so before storing it - should kill
> >anything already there.

> Freezing doesn't help, insect eggs routinely survive long fridgid
> winters, in fact many insects eggs need to be frozen to hatch. Heat
> will kill insect eggs, microwave raw rice.

True. Freezing doesn't help unless you keep the rice in freezer until you
cook it. Slow cooking in a low oven will kill all eggs and larva though. I
don't know the temps and times but a google search will answer that.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...

> If someone is stocking up for some apocalypse situation they are best to
> stock up, then start eating the oldest cans and replace them with
> newer....rotate your shelves.

If you are throwing away canned or dry food based on any date on the
container, you are wasting it for no good reason. 'Best by' and 'Sell by'
dates are there for only one reason; to get you to throw something away so
that you will go and buy more!

Any acidic or highly salted wet foods will deteriorate a tin from the inside
faster than other types, so buy tuna in oil rather than brine for example
(you also get more food value for your money that way, or could use the oil
and tin for an emergency oil lamp) and keep a close eye on tinned fruit.
Otherwise ignore dates and do what people did for millennia before some
marketing type came up with the idea of dated containers, use your senses.
If it looks bad, smells bad, or tastes bad, dump it. If it seems good and
the container is undamaged then it will be fine.

Please note! Written by ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
>
> > If someone is stocking up for some apocalypse situation they are best to
> > stock up, then start eating the oldest cans and replace them with
> > newer....rotate your shelves.

> If you are throwing away canned or dry food based on any date on the
> container, you are wasting it for no good reason. 'Best by' and 'Sell by'
> dates are there for only one reason; to get you to throw something away so
> that you will go and buy more!

Well, in my case, I am NOT stocking up for some apocalype situation. I buy
some canned food and I always eat them before the "sell by" date.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" > wrote in message
>>
>> > If someone is stocking up for some apocalypse situation they are best
>> > stock up, then start eating the oldest cans and replace them with
>> > newer....rotate your shelves.

>> If you are throwing away canned or dry food based on any date on the
>> container, you are wasting it for no good reason. 'Best by' and 'Sell by'
>> dates are there for only one reason; to get you to throw something away
>> so
>> that you will go and buy more!

> Well, in my case, I am NOT stocking up for some apocalype situation. I
> buy
> some canned food and I always eat them before the "sell by" date.

Enjoy

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> sf wrote:
>>
>> Armageddon thinking is beyond me, but I can understand disaster
>> preparedness planning. I don't know how it works differently for
>> tornado, flood or fire - but being in earthquake territory, (natural)
>> disaster preparedness makes complete sense to me.

> I live in summer/fall hurricane territory. I do plan for that each year.
>
> Gary

I used to live practically on top of the New Madrid fault just outside of
Memphis, TN. I've been through an earthquake and a couple of tornadoes,
too. Now I live in hurricane territory. Water is essential. So are canned
goods. Charcoal grills, because the availability of propane will quickly
run out. But I'm not a doomsday person. If the world is decimated at the
end of May or December, 2012, I probably won't be around to care. So why
bother?

This fearmongering is stupid. According to recent research, the world isn't
going to end this year. Not in May, not in December. You have to remember,
the Mayans mostly disappeared well before anyone interpreted their so-called
calendar doomsday predictions.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-calendar.html

or Tiny URL:

http://tinyurl.com/6o769sm

Who the hell knows? It's not like we could do anything about the alleged
Biblical wrath and the end days. At least this foodbanter fanatic, who is
apparenty building a bunker and stocking up on food and weapons, got a
discussion going. Buffoon that he is.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 May 2012 15:57:52 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> "Janet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > says...

> >> Good for you, Ophelia! You rarely speak your mind.

> > LOL. Didn't you recognise David?
> >
> > Janet

> Noted!

Why would I recognize David, whoever that is?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 May 2012 14:48:56 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > sf wrote:
> >>
> >> Armageddon thinking is beyond me, but I can understand disaster
> >> preparedness planning. I don't know how it works differently for
> >> tornado, flood or fire - but being in earthquake territory, (natural)
> >> disaster preparedness makes complete sense to me.

> > I live in summer/fall hurricane territory. I do plan for that each year.
> >
> > Gary

> I used to live practically on top of the New Madrid fault just outside of
> Memphis, TN. I've been through an earthquake and a couple of tornadoes,
> too. Now I live in hurricane territory. Water is essential. So are canned
> goods. Charcoal grills, because the availability of propane will quickly
> run out. But I'm not a doomsday person. If the world is decimated at the
> end of May or December, 2012, I probably won't be around to care. So why
> bother?
>
> This fearmongering is stupid. According to recent research, the world isn't
> going to end this year. Not in May, not in December. You have to remember,
> the Mayans mostly disappeared well before anyone interpreted their so-called
> calendar doomsday predictions.
>
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-calendar.html
>
> or Tiny URL:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6o769sm
>
> Who the hell knows? It's not like we could do anything about the alleged
> Biblical wrath and the end days. At least this foodbanter fanatic, who is
> apparenty building a bunker and stocking up on food and weapons, got a
> discussion going. Buffoon that he is.

Pish Tosh to the Mayan calendar. I'm not interested in that cr*p.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2012 12:01 AM, sf wrote:
>> Who the hell knows? It's not like we could do anything about the alleged
>> > Biblical wrath and the end days. At least this foodbanter fanatic, who is
>> > apparenty building a bunker and stocking up on food and weapons, got a
>> > discussion going. Buffoon that he is.
>> >

> Pish Tosh to the Mayan calendar. I'm not interested in that cr*p.

I was given the task of cleaning up a property when an elderly relative
died. In the 60's, she had built a bomb shelter and in there were cases
and cases of very large metal canisters of flour, beans, rice, etc.
There were canisters of seed wheat and oats and other survivalist
supplies. There were canisters of medical supplies, soap, eating
utensils and instructions books that included lots of ideas about how to
use the empty canisters. All was about 40 years old.

It was an interesting snapshot of a time when people lived in fear of a
Russian nuclear attack. Sad that the same fear still exists.

The reasons change but the fear lives on. Some people are just made
that way I guess.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 May 2012 07:17:12 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

> I was given the task of cleaning up a property when an elderly relative
> died. In the 60's, she had built a bomb shelter and in there were cases
> and cases of very large metal canisters of flour, beans, rice, etc.
> There were canisters of seed wheat and oats and other survivalist
> supplies. There were canisters of medical supplies, soap, eating
> utensils and instructions books that included lots of ideas about how to
> use the empty canisters. All was about 40 years old.
>
> It was an interesting snapshot of a time when people lived in fear of a
> Russian nuclear attack. Sad that the same fear still exists.
>
> The reasons change but the fear lives on. Some people are just made
> that way I guess.

40 year? 55-60 wouldn't have surprised me, but 40 does.

I was a kid during the cold war and distinctly remember feeling scared
that we could be at war at any time. When my grandparents (who lived
next door to us) built a new 4 car garage, they added a way to go out
the back of the existing 3 car garage by building an airlock type room
between buildings and called a bomb shelter. There's no way it could
have been a bomb shelter because it had two doors with windows in them
and it couldn't have held all of us unless we were standing up
shoulder to shoulder. There were no provisions or bathroom facilities
either, but that's what they called it. As a little kid who didn't
know the details of a real bomb shelter, that was enough to give me
peace of mind. I never realized it was a joke and they only called it
a bomb shelter because it was partially underground.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2012 2:57 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2012 07:17:12 -0500, George Leppla

>> It was an interesting snapshot of a time when people lived in fear of a
>> Russian nuclear attack. Sad that the same fear still exists.
>>
>> The reasons change but the fear lives on. Some people are just made
>> that way I guess.

> 40 year? 55-60 wouldn't have surprised me, but 40 does.

Well... I just assumed she stocked the shelter in the early 60's and she
passed in 2005, that puts the stuff on the shelf for a little over 40
years. It was in surprisingly good shape. IO should have planted some
of the seeds to see if they would have germinated.

BTW - this was just outside of Annapolis, MD... about 40 miles from
Washington, DC and less then 5 miles from the US Naval Academy. Aunt
Jane was pretty sure that if they "dropped the big one" it was going to
be dropped somewhere close to her.

> As a little kid who didn't
> know the details of a real bomb shelter, that was enough to give me
> peace of mind. I never realized it was a joke and they only called it
> a bomb shelter because it was partially underground.

How about the air raid drills in school. Sit under your desk or in the
hall against the wall with your head down, eyes closed and your hands
over your ears. As good a position as any to meet your maker. <vbg>

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-25 12:17:12 +0000, George Leppla said:

> It was an interesting snapshot of a time when people lived in fear of a
> Russian nuclear attack. Sad that the same fear still exists.

It's sad that political groups feel the only thing that motivates
people to vote is fear and loathing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-25 12:35:59 +0000, Michael OConnor said:

> I remember that episode.

I did too, I just used "To Serve Man" as a punchline.

> The mob fashioned a battering ram and
> smashed down the door of the bomb shelter, immediately afterward the
> radio announcer said it was a training drill or a mistake of some kind
> but there was no impending nuclear attack, and all the former "friends
> and neighbors" who just ruined this guy's bomb shelter just apologized
> as though they accidentally spilled a drink on the carpet of their
> home or something and it wasn't a big deal.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_She..._Twilight_Zone)

The way I remember it they were holding knives and guns and a few
punches at been thrown, and the kind of personal insults and
accusations that could never be taken back. That sort of thing. It
was a great episode with an excellent crane shot at the end!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

> > It was an interesting snapshot of a time when people lived in fear of a
> > Russian nuclear attack. Sad that the same fear still exists.

> It's sad that political groups feel the only thing that motivates
> people to vote is fear and loathing.

That's our Good Old Phobiamania party...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dr. John Burge wrote:
> We are storing up food (and water) for an all out long-term emergency.
> We have stored 100 gallons of water and have constructed a rain water
> harvesting system. Additionally we have racked up a number of canned
> goods and staples as well as a large supply of MRE's and dehydrated
> foods. We want to store rice and beans in a large quantity for feeding
> large groups but have held off because of the high potential of little
> critters often found in raw rice and wheat or corn products - flour and
> corn meal for instance. Does anyone have a tried and true method of
> storing a large quantity rice (100 lb sacks) for a long period of time
> (months and years)? Thanks.

How about just the bag it was purchased in? Even with an infestation of
grain moths in my house, they don't get in my white rice or my white
bread flour. (Both purchased in 25 pound bags that take me a couple of
years to use up.) They will get in your beans, but won't cause a lot of
damage. Watch out for dehydrated vegetables, whole grains, and pasta --
especially whole wheat pasta. They *love* dried peppers.

Bob