Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food storage bags

Gee... How much celery could I buy for $8.99? About 9 stalks when on sale.

http://www.mileskimball.com/buy-cele...en-accessories

I doubt that these work too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2014 5:57 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Gee... How much celery could I buy for $8.99? About 9 stalks when on
> sale.
>
> http://www.mileskimball.com/buy-cele...en-accessories
>

> I doubt that these work too!

Wrap the celery tightly in aluminum foil when you get it home from the
grocery. You will be amazed at how long it lasts.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Wilder[_4_] View Post
On 7/24/2014 5:57 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
Gee... How much celery could I buy for $8.99? About 9 stalks when on
sale.

Celery Bag - Produce Bag - Green Bags - Miles Kimball

I doubt that these work too!

Wrap the celery tightly in aluminum foil when you get it home from the
grocery. You will be amazed at how long it lasts.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Good plan. Works to prevent moldy cheese too. If you really want to make it last..would dehydrate and use as flakes. It dont taste much different in stews and stoups. Wished I had some.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2014 10:03 PM, bigwheel wrote:

> 'Janet Wilder[_4_ Wrote:
>> ;1952738']On 7/24/2014 5:57 AM, Julie Bove wrote:-
>> Gee... How much celery could I buy for $8.99? About 9 stalks when on
>> sale.
>>
>> 'Celery Bag - Produce Bag - Green Bags - Miles Kimball'
>> (http://tinyurl.com/onr5lmg)
>>

>> I doubt that these work too!-
>>
>> Wrap the celery tightly in aluminum foil when you get it home from the
>> grocery. You will be amazed at how long it lasts.
>>

>> --
>> From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

> Good plan. Works to prevent moldy cheese too. If you really want to make
> it last..would dehydrate and use as flakes. It dont taste much different
> in stews and stoups. Wished I had some.

My mother used to buy dehydrated soup greens. I haven't seen it in years.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Senior Member

'Janet Wilder[_4_ Wrote:
;1952738']On 7/24/2014 5:57 AM, Julie Bove wrote:-
Gee... How much celery could I buy for $8.99? About 9 stalks when on
sale.

'Celery Bag - Produce Bag - Green Bags - Miles Kimball'
(Miles Kimball)

I doubt that these work too!-

Wrap the celery tightly in aluminum foil when you get it home from the
grocery. You will be amazed at how long it lasts.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Good plan. Works to prevent moldy cheese too. If you really want to make
it last..would dehydrate and use as flakes. It dont taste much different
in stews and stoups. Wished I had some.

My mother used to buy dehydrated soup greens. I haven't seen it in years.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Sounds like you might need a dehydrator..or a big bbq pit with a fan in it. Thats what I use. Add anelectric heating element if you ever want smoke.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bigwheel" > wrote in message

> 'Janet Wilder[_4_ Wrote:
>> ;1953052']On 7/24/2014 10:03 PM, bigwheel wrote:-
>>
>> 'Janet Wilder[_4_ Wrote:-
>> ;1952738']On 7/24/2014 5:57 AM, Julie Bove wrote:-
>> Gee... How much celery could I buy for $8.99? About 9 stalks when on
>> sale.
>>
>> 'Celery Bag - Produce Bag - Green Bags - Miles Kimball'
>> ('Miles Kimball' (http://tinyurl.com/onr5lmg))
>>

>> I doubt that these work too!-
>>
>> Wrap the celery tightly in aluminum foil when you get it home from the
>> grocery. You will be amazed at how long it lasts.
>>

>> --
>> From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas-
>>
>> Good plan. Works to prevent moldy cheese too. If you really want to
>> make
>> it last..would dehydrate and use as flakes. It dont taste much
>> different
>> in stews and stoups. Wished I had some.
>>

>> -
>> My mother used to buy dehydrated soup greens. I haven't seen it in
>> years.
>>
>> --
>> From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

> Sounds like you might need a dehydrator..or a big bbq pit with a fan in
> it. Thats what I use. Add anelectric heating element if you ever want
> smoke.

You can buy various dried soup things. I currently have leeks, celery,
various onions, shallots, and a mix that I think is carrots, celery, onions
and spinach. You can get just dried spinach and probably kale as well. I
buy from American Spice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet, I think Knorr makes a dehydrated vegetable mix for soups....I saw it a couple years ago, anyway. ;-))

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/2014 9:24 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Janet, I think Knorr makes a dehydrated vegetable mix for soups....I saw it a couple years ago, anyway. ;-))
>
> N.

This was not a soup mix. It was a soup green mix. Dehydrated
carrots,celery, parsley, onions and I can't remember what else. She
would use it along with fresh carrots, celery and onion to spike the
chicken soup.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 21:48:12 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> On 7/26/2014 9:24 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> > Janet, I think Knorr makes a dehydrated vegetable mix for soups....I saw it a couple years ago, anyway. ;-))
> >
> > N.
> >

> This was not a soup mix. It was a soup green mix. Dehydrated
> carrots,celery, parsley, onions and I can't remember what else. She
> would use it along with fresh carrots, celery and onion to spike the
> chicken soup.

Sounds interesting, if you ever figure out what it is - please let us
know.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 21:48:12 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/26/2014 9:24 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> > Janet, I think Knorr makes a dehydrated vegetable mix for soups....I
>> > saw it a couple years ago, anyway. ;-))
>> >
>> > N.
>> >

>> This was not a soup mix. It was a soup green mix. Dehydrated
>> carrots,celery, parsley, onions and I can't remember what else. She
>> would use it along with fresh carrots, celery and onion to spike the
>> chicken soup.

> Sounds interesting, if you ever figure out what it is - please let us
> know.

I have this:

http://www.americanspice.com/all-nat...d-soup-greens/

You can also buy the individual ingredients.

I have also ordered from he

http://www.barryfarm.com/veggies.htm

When I lived in NY, I found it very important to keep all sorts of dried
vegetables through the winter because the little stores around us didn't
have much in the way of produce and the only true grocery store near us
which was Waldbaums often had really bad produce. I could get it at the
Brooklyn Army Base but it cost so much to get over the bridge that we only
went every two weeks if that.

I did stock canned stuff but the dried takes up a lot less room and it was
great for making soup or adding to a casserole. The only thing I had
trouble with was the dried corn. But perhaps I didn't know how to prepare
it. I made chicken stew in the Crockpot and was going to put dumplings on
it when I realized that the corn was still as hard as a rock. The stew had
been cooking all day. I had to take it one ladle-full at a time into a
smaller pot, picking out the corn and then into my Dutch Oven. I wound up
finishing it off on the stove.

The problem that night was that I was feeding dinner to a couple of other
kids as well so it took waaay longer for me to get the meal ready than it
should have.

Here, I have less of a need to buy dried but it is still handy if for some
reason I can't get to the store or we are snowed in. I keep minced and
chopped onion, green onion, leeks, shallots, bell peppers, celery and the
soup mix. I used to keep tomatoes but now that I have the stockpile in the
garage, I just keep more canned tomato products. Tomato powder is quite
handy though when I have it around. You can add it to a soup to add
richness. And the good thing about the dried products is that if you are
cooking something and it is more soup than you like, you can just add some
dried vegetables and they will quickly plump up and absorb the liquid. Leeks
and shallots are probably my two favorites for that purpose.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 22:55:00 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Here, I have less of a need to buy dried but it is still handy if for some
> reason I can't get to the store or we are snowed in. I keep minced and
> chopped onion, green onion, leeks, shallots, bell peppers, celery and the
> soup mix. I used to keep tomatoes but now that I have the stockpile in the
> garage, I just keep more canned tomato products. Tomato powder is quite
> handy though when I have it around. You can add it to a soup to add
> richness. And the good thing about the dried products is that if you are
> cooking something and it is more soup than you like, you can just add some
> dried vegetables and they will quickly plump up and absorb the liquid. Leeks
> and shallots are probably my two favorites for that purpose.

Tomato powder sounds interesting to keep around, I'll look for it. I
use Knorr Caldo de Tomate much the same way, but I have to keep an
eye on the salt content because it's tomato flavored bouillon - so
it's best used in rice or with beans.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/2014 11:57 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 21:48:12 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/26/2014 9:24 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
>>> Janet, I think Knorr makes a dehydrated vegetable mix for soups....I saw it a couple years ago, anyway. ;-))
>>>
>>> N.
>>>

>> This was not a soup mix. It was a soup green mix. Dehydrated
>> carrots,celery, parsley, onions and I can't remember what else. She
>> would use it along with fresh carrots, celery and onion to spike the
>> chicken soup.

> Sounds interesting, if you ever figure out what it is - please let us
> know.

When I go to New Jersey in October (G-d willing) I will look for it in
the Shop Rite. If it still exists, it should be there.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/27/2014 12:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> When I lived in NY, I found it very important to keep all sorts of dried
> vegetables through the winter because the little stores around us didn't
> have much in the way of produce and the only true grocery store near us
> which was Waldbaums often had really bad produce.

....but Waldbaum's deli was incredible. I went into labor with my first
baby standing in line (or as a New York area person "on line") at that
deli afraid of giving up my spot.

I cried when they left New Jersey.
--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
>Nancy2 wrote:
>
>> Janet, I think Knorr makes a dehydrated vegetable mix for soups....I saw it a couple years ago, anyway. ;-))
>>

>This was not a soup mix. It was a soup green mix. Dehydrated
>carrots,celery, parsley, onions and I can't remember what else. She
>would use it along with fresh carrots, celery and onion to spike the
>chicken soup.

I see dehy soup green blend in every market, usually where they keep
spices... or you can buy it on line:
http://www.amazon.com/Harmony-House-...ed+soup+greens
Or you can buy seperate dehy veggies and make your own blend... I buy
dehy veggies from Penzeys and use them often... I place a mix into my
little whirly blade coffee grinder to make a powder that I mix with a
6 oz can of tomato paste and three cans of water, place in fridge
overnight to reconstitute and I have better than V8.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/27/2014 11:49 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>>> Janet, I think Knorr makes a dehydrated vegetable mix for soups....I saw it a couple years ago, anyway. ;-))
>>>

>> This was not a soup mix. It was a soup green mix. Dehydrated
>> carrots,celery, parsley, onions and I can't remember what else. She
>> would use it along with fresh carrots, celery and onion to spike the
>> chicken soup.

> I see dehy soup green blend in every market, usually where they keep
> spices... or you can buy it on line:
> http://www.amazon.com/Harmony-House-...ed+soup+greens
> Or you can buy seperate dehy veggies and make your own blend... I buy
> dehy veggies from Penzeys and use them often... I place a mix into my
> little whirly blade coffee grinder to make a powder that I mix with a
> 6 oz can of tomato paste and three cans of water, place in fridge
> overnight to reconstitute and I have better than V8.

Sounds like Penzy's is the place. Thanks, Sheldon.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/27/2014 8:29 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 22:55:00 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Here, I have less of a need to buy dried but it is still handy if for some
>> reason I can't get to the store or we are snowed in. I keep minced and
>> chopped onion, green onion, leeks, shallots, bell peppers, celery and the
>> soup mix. I used to keep tomatoes but now that I have the stockpile in the
>> garage, I just keep more canned tomato products. Tomato powder is quite
>> handy though when I have it around. You can add it to a soup to add
>> richness. And the good thing about the dried products is that if you are
>> cooking something and it is more soup than you like, you can just add some
>> dried vegetables and they will quickly plump up and absorb the liquid. Leeks
>> and shallots are probably my two favorites for that purpose.

> Tomato powder sounds interesting to keep around, I'll look for it.

http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/...powder#content

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 09:23:27 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
wrote:

> On 7/27/2014 8:29 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 22:55:00 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Here, I have less of a need to buy dried but it is still handy if for some
> >> reason I can't get to the store or we are snowed in. I keep minced and
> >> chopped onion, green onion, leeks, shallots, bell peppers, celery and the
> >> soup mix. I used to keep tomatoes but now that I have the stockpile in the
> >> garage, I just keep more canned tomato products. Tomato powder is quite
> >> handy though when I have it around. You can add it to a soup to add
> >> richness. And the good thing about the dried products is that if you are
> >> cooking something and it is more soup than you like, you can just add some
> >> dried vegetables and they will quickly plump up and absorb the liquid. Leeks
> >> and shallots are probably my two favorites for that purpose.

> > Tomato powder sounds interesting to keep around, I'll look for it.

> http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/...powder#content

Thanks, when I said "look for it" I meant locally. I'm tempted to
order it from them... but I need to order a lot more than that to
justify the shipping charges. Their Vulcan Hot Salt is calling my
name at the moment and I'm sure I'll find more interesting things.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila