Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Default Long Term Food Storage

If I had lottery type money I might consider it. I would store those
Special K and Atkins protein bars. I would store a water condensation
collection kit. I would store a windmill kit and whatever else is
neccesary to get electricity from it. I hate coffee but cans of coffee
or I would die the first day from caffeine withdrawal. Solar powered
lights maybe. Matches. Set of hand tools. Tent. screen house, and
extremely thermal sleeping bag. A mountain bike for sure. TP, TP and
brush :-) sponges and soap, buckets, and lots of duct tape lol. The
longer you can survive the more likely you can adapt.

So my understanding when that big meteor in the sky hits, it will blow
up earth into chunks, knock it out of its orbit, there goes the
atmosphere, and we die instantly, and earth becomes multiple asteroids
itself spinning thru space ? The odds of part of earth remaining in its
orbit and retaining its atmosphere is slim to none, right?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2012 11:42 AM, Doug Freyburger wrote:

> All of Yellowstone Park is a super-volcano. It goes off every 25
> million years or something like that. It could go off any time now on
> geological scales. When it does say goodby to more than half the
> population of North America that day and say goodbye to civilization
> everywhere in the northern hemisphere. Anyone who can not forge there
> own steel hand tools is gone when that happens.

I saw something on one of the nature channels that it's also possible
for a massive tsunami to hit and flood the east coast if a series of
events in northern Africa occur.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"z z" > wrote in message
> If I had lottery type money I might consider it. I would store those
> Special K and Atkins protein bars. I would store a water condensation
> collection kit. I would store a windmill kit and whatever else is
> neccesary to get electricity from it. I hate coffee but cans of coffee
> or I would die the first day from caffeine withdrawal. Solar powered
> lights maybe. Matches. Set of hand tools. Tent. screen house, and
> extremely thermal sleeping bag. A mountain bike for sure. TP, TP and
> brush :-) sponges and soap, buckets, and lots of duct tape lol. The
> longer you can survive the more likely you can adapt.
>
> So my understanding when that big meteor in the sky hits, it will blow
> up earth into chunks, knock it out of its orbit, there goes the
> atmosphere, and we die instantly, and earth becomes multiple asteroids
> itself spinning thru space ? The odds of part of earth remaining in its
> orbit and retaining its atmosphere is slim to none, right?

Diet bars like Special K or Atkins are not a good idea. Any method of
reducing weight involves cutting back on some part of a proper diet, be it
fat, carbs, whatever. If you intend to bug in, are carrying extra weight
now, and want to use a restricted diet so that when you emerge you have
obviously lost weight, as most survivors will have, so that you do not
attract unwanted attention and questions, then fair enough, but after you do
come out of isolation you will be into a high energy expenditure situation
due to the work you will be doing to survive and diet bars will not cut it.
Energy generation is a good idea; which forms (don't put all your eggs in
one basket) depend primarily on your usual weather but remember that some
events can change that. There are lots of things that you will need in the
immediate, medium and long term after any major event and the things you
have listed are among them. There are plenty of sites on the 'net where you
can get information about extending that list.

The OP wasn't actually asking about an impact from an ET body - the actual
question was about methods of extending storage life of dried goods - but
whether that situation is survivable for the planet or its life forms
depends on the size, composition, and speed of the impacting body. There is
plenty of evidence that the planet has survived such events before, though
many of the existing life forms did not.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 May 2012 14:39:03 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 5/31/2012 11:42 AM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
>
>> All of Yellowstone Park is a super-volcano. It goes off every 25
>> million years or something like that. It could go off any time now on
>> geological scales. When it does say goodby to more than half the
>> population of North America that day and say goodbye to civilization
>> everywhere in the northern hemisphere. Anyone who can not forge there
>> own steel hand tools is gone when that happens.

>I saw something on one of the nature channels that it's also possible
>for a massive tsunami to hit and flood the east coast if a series of
>events in northern Africa occur.

Have you been comatose for 3 1/2 years...
it already occured; Tsumami Oboma.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> On 5/31/2012 11:42 AM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
>
> > All of Yellowstone Park is a super-volcano. It goes off every 25
> > million years or something like that. It could go off any time now on
> > geological scales. When it does say goodby to more than half the
> > population of North America that day and say goodbye to civilization
> > everywhere in the northern hemisphere. Anyone who can not forge there
> > own steel hand tools is gone when that happens.

> I saw something on one of the nature channels that it's also possible
> for a massive tsunami to hit and flood the east coast if a series of
> events in northern Africa occur.

I saw that documentary too long ago.

Here's a CNN article about it:
http://articles.cnn.com/2001-08-29/t...eja?_s=PM:TECH

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On 5/31/2012 11:42 AM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
>
> > All of Yellowstone Park is a super-volcano. It goes off every 25
> > million years or something like that. It could go off any time now on
> > geological scales. When it does say goodby to more than half the
> > population of North America that day and say goodbye to civilization
> > everywhere in the northern hemisphere. Anyone who can not forge there
> > own steel hand tools is gone when that happens.

> I saw something on one of the nature channels that it's also possible
> for a massive tsunami to hit and flood the east coast if a series of
> events in northern Africa occur.

The West Coast's tsunami from the Japan quake was less than
spectacular. Better sea walls would have make it a nonevent.