Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default White Cake Recipe

I need a favor from you guys and you always come through every time I ask,
so..... I'm askin'.

I'm supposed to help with the menu of my friend's daughter's 17th birthday
next month on the 23. They're planning on serving (ahem)......ready? (Keep
in mind, these are my friends who eat processed food and if it can't be
nuked, they won't eat it because they don't understand how to cook it.)

Frozen, pre-cooked meatballs with Hunts BBQ sauce.
Chips - premade onion dip
Oscar Meyer triangle ham sandwiches on wonder bread with mustard
Crudites with onion dip

I've offered to make the meatballs, I've offered to even make lasagna -
nope, they want the frozen pre-made meatballs and sandwiches.

In any case, the daughter wants a 3 tiered cake. That one, somehow, falls
to me because it's not covered under their government foodstamps because it
would be a special order. Amanda, the birthday girl, wants a white cake
with pink frosting. Does anyone have an excellent recipe for a white cake?
I need moist, delectable, finger-lickin' good. In other words, I have to
have something taste good at this party for 60 people! It must be a white
cake with pink icing.

Help me! Every time I've made a cake, it's come out dry. I need to make
this the highlight of the evening. Please. Please. I've got to do this
right.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
>I need a favor from you guys and you always come through every time I ask,
> so..... I'm askin'.
>
> I'm supposed to help with the menu of my friend's daughter's 17th birthday
> next month on the 23. They're planning on serving (ahem)......ready?
> (Keep
> in mind, these are my friends who eat processed food and if it can't be
> nuked, they won't eat it because they don't understand how to cook it.)
>
> Frozen, pre-cooked meatballs with Hunts BBQ sauce.
> Chips - premade onion dip
> Oscar Meyer triangle ham sandwiches on wonder bread with mustard
> Crudites with onion dip
>
> I've offered to make the meatballs, I've offered to even make lasagna -
> nope, they want the frozen pre-made meatballs and sandwiches.
>
> In any case, the daughter wants a 3 tiered cake. That one, somehow, falls
> to me because it's not covered under their government foodstamps because
> it
> would be a special order. Amanda, the birthday girl, wants a white cake
> with pink frosting. Does anyone have an excellent recipe for a white
> cake?
> I need moist, delectable, finger-lickin' good. In other words, I have to
> have something taste good at this party for 60 people! It must be a white
> cake with pink icing.
>
> Help me! Every time I've made a cake, it's come out dry. I need to make
> this the highlight of the evening. Please. Please. I've got to do this
> right.

Cake is one of those things that I found works just as well from a mix as it
does from scratch. With a few exceptions. Like chocolate tweed. But even
that can be faked pretty well by adding grated chocolate to a yellow cake
mix.

I just checked allrecipes.com which is where I usually get my best recipes
from. I look for ones that got really good reviews. Alas, with the white
cakes, there were none that got all good reviews. Sorry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in

> "kilikini" > wrote in message
>>I need a favor from you guys and you always come through every time I
>>ask,
>> so..... I'm askin'.
>>
>> I'm supposed to help with the menu of my friend's daughter's 17th
>> birthday next month on the 23. They're planning on serving
>> (ahem)......ready? (Keep
>> in mind, these are my friends who eat processed food and if it can't
>> be nuked, they won't eat it because they don't understand how to cook
>> it.)
>>
>> Frozen, pre-cooked meatballs with Hunts BBQ sauce.
>> Chips - premade onion dip
>> Oscar Meyer triangle ham sandwiches on wonder bread with mustard
>> Crudites with onion dip
>>
>> I've offered to make the meatballs, I've offered to even make lasagna
>> - nope, they want the frozen pre-made meatballs and sandwiches.
>>
>> In any case, the daughter wants a 3 tiered cake. That one, somehow,
>> falls to me because it's not covered under their government
>> foodstamps because it
>> would be a special order. Amanda, the birthday girl, wants a white
>> cake with pink frosting. Does anyone have an excellent recipe for a
>> white cake?
>> I need moist, delectable, finger-lickin' good. In other words, I
>> have to have something taste good at this party for 60 people! It
>> must be a white cake with pink icing.
>>
>> Help me! Every time I've made a cake, it's come out dry. I need to
>> make this the highlight of the evening. Please. Please. I've got
>> to do this right.

> Cake is one of those things that I found works just as well from a mix
> as it does from scratch. With a few exceptions. Like chocolate
> tweed. But even that can be faked pretty well by adding grated
> chocolate to a yellow cake mix.
>
> I just checked allrecipes.com which is where I usually get my best
> recipes from. I look for ones that got really good reviews. Alas,
> with the white cakes, there were none that got all good reviews.
> Sorry.

see my Stacy's cake I posted earlier, hell never mind. Just use whie cake
mix instead of yellow and nix the chocolate, glaze and walnuts but use
the pudding (say vanilla) and sour cream options and bake in pans. Maybe
double or triple recipe to feed 60.

What to use as filling? between layers? Jam, nutella, caramel sauce?

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Stacy's Chocolate Chip Cake

alan, cakes, tested

pam to prep tube pan
flour for dusting
4 oz german chocolate; * see note
1 18.25 oz pkg plain yellow cake mix (2 layer cake)
1 3.4 oz pkg pistashio instant puddingt mix
1 cup whole milk
-----or -----
1 cup sour cream plus 1/4 cup water
1 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1 cup walnuts; crushed
1.5 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
icing sugar for garnish; see notes*

Place rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325F. Pam a 10 inch
bunt pan then dust with flour; shake out excess. Finely Grate german
chocolate.(German chocolate is a sweet Baking Chocolate a good substute
is
milk chocolate).

*German Chocolate note: Use 2 cups instead of 1.5 cups of mini chocolate
chips if you can't find German Chocolate. You are using mini chocolate
chips so they don't all sink to the bottom.
Add cake mix, pudding mix ,milk or sour cream (add 1/4 cup water if
using sourcream),oil and eggs to a large mixing bowl. Mix on low speed
for
a minute then fold in the grated chocolate and scrape down the sides.
Increase speed to medium and mix for 2 minutes more, scraping down the
sides if required. fold in the chocolate chips. The batter should look
well
blended and chocolate chips evenly distributed. Pour batter into prepared
tube pan. Bake cake till golden brown and springs back when lightly
pressed
50 to 60 minutes.

Dust with icing sugar or use Chocolate Glaze 1 cup sifted
confectioner's sugar 2 tablespoons cocoa 2 tablespoons skim milk or
strong
coffee (I used coffee) In a small bowl stir together sifted
confectioner's
sugar, cocoa, milk, and vanilla until smooth. Add a few drops of milk, if
needed, to achieve desired consistency.

additions : the 1/4 cup water as the batter was too thick ,walnuts to
take
away from the sweetness, pistashio instead of vanilla pudding.

Contributor: modified from Cake Doctor CookBook

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 15, 10:16 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "kilikini" > wrote in message

> Cake is one of those things that I found works just as well from a mix as it
> does from scratch.

Some people's tastes will never advance whether they are on foodstamps
or not, and are not able to understand any help on how to make better
tasting meals. I would do a cake that reflects their particular tastes
and they might very well be happy with whatever effort you make.

Just emptying a mix out of the box, stirring in a few eggs and oil
might just be the ticket to get you cudos. Let the icing be the ooh-
ahh.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> "kilikini" > wrote in message
>> I need a favor from you guys and you always come through every time
>> I ask, so..... I'm askin'.
>>
>> I'm supposed to help with the menu of my friend's daughter's 17th
>> birthday next month on the 23. They're planning on serving
>> (ahem)......ready? (Keep
>> in mind, these are my friends who eat processed food and if it can't
>> be nuked, they won't eat it because they don't understand how to
>> cook it.)
>>
>> Frozen, pre-cooked meatballs with Hunts BBQ sauce.
>> Chips - premade onion dip
>> Oscar Meyer triangle ham sandwiches on wonder bread with mustard
>> Crudites with onion dip
>>
>> I've offered to make the meatballs, I've offered to even make
>> lasagna - nope, they want the frozen pre-made meatballs and
>> sandwiches.
>>
>> In any case, the daughter wants a 3 tiered cake. That one, somehow,
>> falls to me because it's not covered under their government
>> foodstamps because it
>> would be a special order. Amanda, the birthday girl, wants a white
>> cake with pink frosting. Does anyone have an excellent recipe for a
>> white cake?
>> I need moist, delectable, finger-lickin' good. In other words, I
>> have to have something taste good at this party for 60 people! It
>> must be a white cake with pink icing.
>>
>> Help me! Every time I've made a cake, it's come out dry. I need to
>> make this the highlight of the evening. Please. Please. I've got
>> to do this right.

> Cake is one of those things that I found works just as well from a
> mix as it does from scratch. With a few exceptions. Like chocolate
> tweed. But even that can be faked pretty well by adding grated
> chocolate to a yellow cake mix.
>
> I just checked allrecipes.com which is where I usually get my best
> recipes from. I look for ones that got really good reviews. Alas,
> with the white cakes, there were none that got all good reviews.
> Sorry.

Thanks anyway, Julie. :-(

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
>

>> "kilikini" > wrote in message
>>> I need a favor from you guys and you always come through every time
>>> I ask,
>>> so..... I'm askin'.
>>>
>>> I'm supposed to help with the menu of my friend's daughter's 17th
>>> birthday next month on the 23. They're planning on serving
>>> (ahem)......ready? (Keep
>>> in mind, these are my friends who eat processed food and if it can't
>>> be nuked, they won't eat it because they don't understand how to
>>> cook it.)
>>>
>>> Frozen, pre-cooked meatballs with Hunts BBQ sauce.
>>> Chips - premade onion dip
>>> Oscar Meyer triangle ham sandwiches on wonder bread with mustard
>>> Crudites with onion dip
>>>
>>> I've offered to make the meatballs, I've offered to even make
>>> lasagna - nope, they want the frozen pre-made meatballs and
>>> sandwiches.
>>>
>>> In any case, the daughter wants a 3 tiered cake. That one, somehow,
>>> falls to me because it's not covered under their government
>>> foodstamps because it
>>> would be a special order. Amanda, the birthday girl, wants a white
>>> cake with pink frosting. Does anyone have an excellent recipe for a
>>> white cake?
>>> I need moist, delectable, finger-lickin' good. In other words, I
>>> have to have something taste good at this party for 60 people! It
>>> must be a white cake with pink icing.
>>>
>>> Help me! Every time I've made a cake, it's come out dry. I need to
>>> make this the highlight of the evening. Please. Please. I've got
>>> to do this right.

>> Cake is one of those things that I found works just as well from a
>> mix as it does from scratch. With a few exceptions. Like chocolate
>> tweed. But even that can be faked pretty well by adding grated
>> chocolate to a yellow cake mix.
>>
>> I just checked allrecipes.com which is where I usually get my best
>> recipes from. I look for ones that got really good reviews. Alas,
>> with the white cakes, there were none that got all good reviews.
>> Sorry.
>>

> see my Stacy's cake I posted earlier, hell never mind. Just use whie
> cake mix instead of yellow and nix the chocolate, glaze and walnuts
> but use the pudding (say vanilla) and sour cream options and bake in
> pans. Maybe double or triple recipe to feed 60.
>
> What to use as filling? between layers? Jam, nutella, caramel sauce?

(snip)

I could work with this, Mr. B. My plan is to make a few recipes and have
Amanda try them. She wants a simple white cake with pink frosting. Three
tiered, as in large, middle and smaller shaped, iced, with pink frosting.
(It's only her 17th, I don't understand the fuss, but, whatever.)

I'm saving your recipe and I'll give it a shot. Thank you.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:
> On Jul 15, 10:16 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "kilikini" > wrote in message

>> Cake is one of those things that I found works just as well from a
>> mix as it does from scratch.

> Some people's tastes will never advance whether they are on foodstamps
> or not, and are not able to understand any help on how to make better
> tasting meals. I would do a cake that reflects their particular tastes
> and they might very well be happy with whatever effort you make.
>
> Just emptying a mix out of the box, stirring in a few eggs and oil
> might just be the ticket to get you cudos. Let the icing be the ooh-
> ahh.
> Dee Dee

You know, you may be right, Dee Dee. Thanks. Maybe I'm stressing over
nothing.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in

> Amanda, the birthday girl, wants a white cake with pink
> frosting. Does anyone have an excellent recipe for a white
> cake? I need moist, delectable, finger-lickin' good. In other
> words, I have to have something taste good at this party for
> 60 people! It must be a white cake with pink icing.
>
> Help me! Every time I've made a cake, it's come out dry. I
> need to make this the highlight of the evening. Please.
> Please. I've got to do this right.
>
> kili

Hi Kilikini

I can't vouch for this but it's one my neighbor sent me a link for
and she likes this one alot.

http://www.recipelink.com/mf/2/13149

Moist White Wedding Cake

1 cup butter, softened
3 cups white sugar
7 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour a
9x13 inch pan or a 10 inch Bundt pan. In a large bowl, cream
together the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time,
mixing well after each. Then stir in the vanilla. Combine the
flour, baking soda and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture
and mix until all of the flour is absorbed. Finally, stir in the
sour cream. Mix for 1 or 2 minutes just to be sure there are no
lumps. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in the preheated
oven for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the
center of cake comes out clean. For Bundt cakes, allow the cake to
cool in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack.
Makes 24 servings

And if anyone is iterested in a moist chocolate cake..
she likes this one:
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=6686
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> I need a favor from you guys and you always come through every time I
> ask, so..... I'm askin'.
>
> In any case, the daughter wants a 3 tiered cake. That one, somehow,
> falls to me because it's not covered under their government
> foodstamps because it would be a special order. Amanda, the birthday
> girl, wants a white cake with pink frosting. Does anyone have an
> excellent recipe for a white cake? I need moist, delectable,
> finger-lickin' good. In other words, I have to have something taste
> good at this party for 60 people! It must be a white cake with pink
> icing.
>
> kili

Just have them buy a few boxes of of white cake mix and some cans of
frosting and red food dye, and whatever else the method on the back of the
box calls for (oil?). Their food stamps will cover that. There's NO reason
for you to pay for it; you aren't exactly rolling in dough. You can bake it
for them.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> Dee Dee wrote:
>> On Jul 15, 10:16 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>> "kilikini" > wrote in message

>>> Cake is one of those things that I found works just as well from a
>>> mix as it does from scratch.

>> Some people's tastes will never advance whether they are on
>> foodstamps or not, and are not able to understand any help on how to
>> make better tasting meals. I would do a cake that reflects their
>> particular tastes and they might very well be happy with whatever
>> effort you make.
>>
>> Just emptying a mix out of the box, stirring in a few eggs and oil
>> might just be the ticket to get you cudos. Let the icing be the ooh-
>> ahh.
>> Dee Dee

> You know, you may be right, Dee Dee. Thanks. Maybe I'm stressing
> over nothing.
>
> kili

Exactly. I posted (you'll see it) to have THEM buy boxed white cake mix and
oil (I left out the eggs but then, I don't make cakes), cans of white
frosting and food dye. Food stamps will cover all that stuff. Don't YOU
pay for a damn thing. Just bake it for them. And if you don't have a cake
pan, you can get three of those tinfoil cake pans for a buck or so. You'll
just have to cut two of the 8-inch rounds into the "graduated" layers she
wants.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Forgot to Say: White Cake Recipe

jmcquown wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>> I need a favor from you guys and you always come through every time I
>> ask, so..... I'm askin'.
>>
>> In any case, the daughter wants a 3 tiered cake. That one, somehow,
>> falls to me because it's not covered under their government
>> foodstamps because it would be a special order. Amanda, the birthday
>> girl, wants a white cake with pink frosting. Does anyone have an
>> excellent recipe for a white cake? I need moist, delectable,
>> finger-lickin' good. In other words, I have to have something taste
>> good at this party for 60 people! It must be a white cake with pink
>> icing.
>>
>> kili

> Just have them buy a few boxes of of white cake mix and some cans of
> frosting and red food dye, and whatever else the method on the back
> of the box calls for (oil?). Their food stamps will cover that.
> There's NO reason for you to pay for it; you aren't exactly rolling
> in dough. You can bake it for them.

Forgot to say, they CAN buy the ingredients for a cake with their food
stamps if it must be from scratch. Flour, sugar, eggs, etc. It doesn't
have to come from a bakery. Box mixes would be easier on you, though

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
>I need a favor from you guys and you always come through every time I ask,
> so..... I'm askin'.
>
> I'm supposed to help with the menu of my friend's daughter's 17th birthday
> next month on the 23. They're planning on serving (ahem)......ready? (Keep
> in mind, these are my friends who eat processed food and if it can't be
> nuked, they won't eat it because they don't understand how to cook it.)
>
> Frozen, pre-cooked meatballs with Hunts BBQ sauce.
> Chips - premade onion dip
> Oscar Meyer triangle ham sandwiches on wonder bread with mustard
> Crudites with onion dip
>
> I've offered to make the meatballs, I've offered to even make lasagna -
> nope, they want the frozen pre-made meatballs and sandwiches.
>
> In any case, the daughter wants a 3 tiered cake. That one, somehow, falls
> to me because it's not covered under their government foodstamps because it
> would be a special order. Amanda, the birthday girl, wants a white cake
> with pink frosting. Does anyone have an excellent recipe for a white cake?
> I need moist, delectable, finger-lickin' good. In other words, I have to
> have something taste good at this party for 60 people! It must be a white
> cake with pink icing.
>
> Help me! Every time I've made a cake, it's come out dry. I need to make
> this the highlight of the evening. Please. Please. I've got to do this
> right.
>
> kili

kili,

Not understanding why they can't buy the ingredients at least, as I know you're not
exactly rolling in dough (look it's not OT! lol), but that's none of my concern so
I'll just stick to the cake.

First if you really want it to be good, there's a couple things to keep in mind.
Moist white cake is difficult, but not impossible. For this instance, here's what you
can do: Get a couple of boxes of Duncan Hines white cake mix. Get whatever you need
for what it says on the back of the box (eggs, oil, and whatnot) and a couple of
pkg's of Jell-o white chocolate instant pudding. When you prepare the mix, add one
small pkg pudding for each mix, and do not adjust anything else (for instance, my
niece added more liquid to accommodate the pudding...do *not* do that). Bake as
directed, and I promise you will have a very moist cake as a result.

For the frosting you can go a couple ways. For something that actually tastes good,
make a good cream cheese frosting and either tint it pink with food coloring or use
raspberry puree to make it pink *and* even tastier. Personally, I would go with the
cream cheese frosting. You can also make the standard issue "buttercream" that alot
of folks like, with the stick of butter, powdered sugar and the like. Add some
vanilla or other extract to make it taste better, and tint it with red food coloring.

Let us know what you end up doing! I love follow-up! lol

Good luck

kimberly

--
http://one.revver.com/watch/324733/flv/affiliate/99865
"I think that's my bathing suit. Is that one of my bathing suits? That is totally my

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:
> "kilikini" > wrote in
>
>> Amanda, the birthday girl, wants a white cake with pink
>> frosting. Does anyone have an excellent recipe for a white
>> cake? I need moist, delectable, finger-lickin' good. In other
>> words, I have to have something taste good at this party for
>> 60 people! It must be a white cake with pink icing.
>>
>> Help me! Every time I've made a cake, it's come out dry. I
>> need to make this the highlight of the evening. Please.
>> Please. I've got to do this right.
>>
>> kili

> Hi Kilikini
>
> I can't vouch for this but it's one my neighbor sent me a link for
> and she likes this one alot.
>
> http://www.recipelink.com/mf/2/13149
>
> Moist White Wedding Cake
>
> 1 cup butter, softened
> 3 cups white sugar
> 7 eggs
> 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
> 3 cups all-purpose flour
> 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
> 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
> 1 cup sour cream
>
> Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour a
> 9x13 inch pan or a 10 inch Bundt pan. In a large bowl, cream
> together the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time,
> mixing well after each. Then stir in the vanilla. Combine the
> flour, baking soda and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture
> and mix until all of the flour is absorbed. Finally, stir in the
> sour cream. Mix for 1 or 2 minutes just to be sure there are no
> lumps. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in the preheated
> oven for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the
> center of cake comes out clean. For Bundt cakes, allow the cake to
> cool in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack.
> Makes 24 servings
>
> And if anyone is iterested in a moist chocolate cake..
> she likes this one:
> http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=6686

Thanks, Sandi! This cake sounds really rich and moist! I appreciate it.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> kilikini wrote:
>>> I need a favor from you guys and you always come through every time
>>> I ask, so..... I'm askin'.
>>>
>>> In any case, the daughter wants a 3 tiered cake. That one, somehow,
>>> falls to me because it's not covered under their government
>>> foodstamps because it would be a special order. Amanda, the
>>> birthday girl, wants a white cake with pink frosting. Does anyone
>>> have an excellent recipe for a white cake? I need moist, delectable,
>>> finger-lickin' good. In other words, I have to have something taste
>>> good at this party for 60 people! It must be a white cake with pink
>>> icing.
>>>
>>> kili

>> Just have them buy a few boxes of of white cake mix and some cans of
>> frosting and red food dye, and whatever else the method on the back
>> of the box calls for (oil?). Their food stamps will cover that.
>> There's NO reason for you to pay for it; you aren't exactly rolling
>> in dough. You can bake it for them.
>>

> Forgot to say, they CAN buy the ingredients for a cake with their food
> stamps if it must be from scratch. Flour, sugar, eggs, etc. It
> doesn't have to come from a bakery. Box mixes would be easier on
> you, though
>
> Jill

They would be easier. I'm still trying to figure out how to make the tiers.
Amanda wants round tiers, like a wedding cake, and she wants icing around it
to look like ribbons and bows that are tying up the tiers. Gosh almighty,
I'm not a professional baker!!!!!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:
> "kilikini" > wrote in message
>
> kili,
>
> Not understanding why they can't buy the ingredients at least, as I
> know you're not exactly rolling in dough (look it's not OT! lol), but
> that's none of my concern so I'll just stick to the cake.
>
> First if you really want it to be good, there's a couple things to
> keep in mind. Moist white cake is difficult, but not impossible. For
> this instance, here's what you can do: Get a couple of boxes of
> Duncan Hines white cake mix. Get whatever you need for what it says
> on the back of the box (eggs, oil, and whatnot) and a couple of pkg's
> of Jell-o white chocolate instant pudding. When you prepare the mix,
> add one small pkg pudding for each mix, and do not adjust anything
> else (for instance, my niece added more liquid to accommodate the
> pudding...do *not* do that). Bake as directed, and I promise you will
> have a very moist cake as a result.
>
> For the frosting you can go a couple ways. For something that
> actually tastes good, make a good cream cheese frosting and either
> tint it pink with food coloring or use raspberry puree to make it
> pink *and* even tastier. Personally, I would go with the cream cheese
> frosting. You can also make the standard issue "buttercream" that
> alot of folks like, with the stick of butter, powdered sugar and the
> like. Add some vanilla or other extract to make it taste better, and
> tint it with red food coloring.
>
> Let us know what you end up doing! I love follow-up! lol
>
> Good luck
>
> kimberly

Thanks, Kimberly! The cake is going to be my birthday present for Amanda,
since I can't afford to buy her anything, nor would I know what she wants.
I just figured I'd make the darn cake and then she got really specific about
details. I keep trying to tell her that I can make a cake. A *simple*
cake! I have no idea how to make a presentation out of it. She just
assumes that because I like to cook, I know how to prepare a beautiful
design with icing and stuff. Um, no. What she's looking for is something
akin to a fancy wedding cake. I don't even have the cake pans for it.

That's why I'm looking for help from the group. It sounds like I may just
go with boxed cake, but I like your idea of adding pudding. It will add
moisture and it will add additional flavor. (To be honest, though, I've
never made a cake from a box before!!!!!!)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> Nexis wrote:
>> "kilikini" > wrote in message
>>
>> kili,
>>
>> Not understanding why they can't buy the ingredients at least, as I
>> know you're not exactly rolling in dough (look it's not OT! lol), but
>> that's none of my concern so I'll just stick to the cake.
>>
>> First if you really want it to be good, there's a couple things to
>> keep in mind. Moist white cake is difficult, but not impossible. For
>> this instance, here's what you can do: Get a couple of boxes of
>> Duncan Hines white cake mix. Get whatever you need for what it says
>> on the back of the box (eggs, oil, and whatnot) and a couple of pkg's
>> of Jell-o white chocolate instant pudding. When you prepare the mix,
>> add one small pkg pudding for each mix, and do not adjust anything
>> else (for instance, my niece added more liquid to accommodate the
>> pudding...do *not* do that). Bake as directed, and I promise you will
>> have a very moist cake as a result.
>>
>> For the frosting you can go a couple ways. For something that
>> actually tastes good, make a good cream cheese frosting and either
>> tint it pink with food coloring or use raspberry puree to make it
>> pink *and* even tastier. Personally, I would go with the cream cheese
>> frosting. You can also make the standard issue "buttercream" that
>> alot of folks like, with the stick of butter, powdered sugar and the
>> like. Add some vanilla or other extract to make it taste better, and
>> tint it with red food coloring.
>>
>> Let us know what you end up doing! I love follow-up! lol
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> kimberly

> Thanks, Kimberly! The cake is going to be my birthday present for Amanda,
> since I can't afford to buy her anything, nor would I know what she wants.
> I just figured I'd make the darn cake and then she got really specific about
> details. I keep trying to tell her that I can make a cake. A *simple*
> cake! I have no idea how to make a presentation out of it. She just
> assumes that because I like to cook, I know how to prepare a beautiful
> design with icing and stuff. Um, no. What she's looking for is something
> akin to a fancy wedding cake. I don't even have the cake pans for it.
>
> That's why I'm looking for help from the group. It sounds like I may just
> go with boxed cake, but I like your idea of adding pudding. It will add
> moisture and it will add additional flavor. (To be honest, though, I've
> never made a cake from a box before!!!!!!)
>
> kili

Use real ribbons and real flowers to create a fantasy cake. Using
frosting to do a comparable job would take you a month to learn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Help me! Every time I've made a cake, it's come out dry. I need to make
> this the highlight of the evening. Please. Please. I've got to do this
> right.

This sounds like an excellent gift. But I would probably have chosen to tell
her that she has some great ideas and you will try to use as many of them as
you can in making the cake, but it won't be exactly what she is asking for
because you may not have the supplies. A great trick for enhancing a boxed
cake mix is to add the pudding like everyone else has already said. I would
think a simple buttercream frosting would be easiest, or go with creamcheese
for a little different flavor. Either use the frosting for the filling
between layers or use a fruity filling, strawberry jam, raspberry preserves,
maybe a white chocolate frosting with pink tint would be more up her alley
if she loves chocolate.

How about a 9X13 for the base and two 8" or 9" rounds offset to one side of
the 9X13 so you can write on the 9X13 just beside the stacked rounds.

If you want something a little fancier for the top of the rounds, make
another smaller cake in a 6" diameter pyrex bowl. The cake baked in the bowl
will give a dome effect on top of the two rounds. Adds effect without
costing anything for tools or decorations.

And if she wants ribbons and bows, how about bulk ribbon from Michael's or
JoAnne's. Buy the picot ribbon that has the little loops along the edge. You
can usually catch it for less than a dollar for 10 yards, and often on sale
2 for a dollar. It will cut down on expense for bags, tips, icing, and still
be perfectly suitable for a birthday party. Might want to do something
glittery in the piping along the edges of the cake and for the words. the
"glittery" sugar crystals are really cheap and can be used alone or stirred
into frosting. You can add silk or fresh flowers to the cake, or beads
(mardi gras beads are everywhere on clearance right now in the party and
decorating store). If she loves that teenage princess thing, a 99cent tiara
and strings of beads and ribbon would be just the ticket.

Man that got long. Cakes are one of those things I love to do. Hope you have
fun.

Cindi

> kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindi - HappyMamatoThree" > wrote in
t:

> A great trick for enhancing a boxed
> cake mix is to add the pudding like everyone else has already said.

The sour cream helps too. Trust me...

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindi - HappyMamatoThree wrote:
>> Help me! Every time I've made a cake, it's come out dry. I need to
>> make this the highlight of the evening. Please. Please. I've got
>> to do this right.

> This sounds like an excellent gift. But I would probably have chosen
> to tell her that she has some great ideas and you will try to use as
> many of them as you can in making the cake, but it won't be exactly
> what she is asking for because you may not have the supplies. A great
> trick for enhancing a boxed cake mix is to add the pudding like
> everyone else has already said. I would think a simple buttercream
> frosting would be easiest, or go with creamcheese for a little
> different flavor. Either use the frosting for the filling between
> layers or use a fruity filling, strawberry jam, raspberry preserves,
> maybe a white chocolate frosting with pink tint would be more up her
> alley if she loves chocolate.
>
> How about a 9X13 for the base and two 8" or 9" rounds offset to one
> side of the 9X13 so you can write on the 9X13 just beside the stacked
> rounds.
>
> If you want something a little fancier for the top of the rounds, make
> another smaller cake in a 6" diameter pyrex bowl. The cake baked in
> the bowl will give a dome effect on top of the two rounds. Adds
> effect without costing anything for tools or decorations.
>
> And if she wants ribbons and bows, how about bulk ribbon from
> Michael's or JoAnne's. Buy the picot ribbon that has the little loops
> along the edge. You can usually catch it for less than a dollar for
> 10 yards, and often on sale 2 for a dollar. It will cut down on
> expense for bags, tips, icing, and still be perfectly suitable for a
> birthday party. Might want to do something glittery in the piping
> along the edges of the cake and for the words. the "glittery" sugar
> crystals are really cheap and can be used alone or stirred into
> frosting. You can add silk or fresh flowers to the cake, or beads
> (mardi gras beads are everywhere on clearance right now in the party
> and decorating store). If she loves that teenage princess thing, a
> 99cent tiara and strings of beads and ribbon would be just the
> ticket.
>
> Man that got long. Cakes are one of those things I love to do. Hope
> you have fun.
>
> Cindi

I think a white chocolate icing with a tinge of red food coloring would be
wonderful! I love all your suggestions. (Psssst - come on over, I may
need your help!) <g>

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> "Cindi - HappyMamatoThree" > wrote in
> t:
>
>> A great trick for enhancing a boxed
>> cake mix is to add the pudding like everyone else has already said.

> The sour cream helps too. Trust me...

If I add sour cream, do I have to adjust for the oil?

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I think a white chocolate icing with a tinge of red food coloring would be
> wonderful! I love all your suggestions. (Psssst - come on over, I may
> need your help!) <g>
>
> kili
>

> I think a white chocolate icing with a tinge of red food coloring would be
> wonderful! I love all your suggestions. (Psssst - come on over, I may
> need your help!) <g>

(you can get the pink sparkles too and use those sprinkled over the still
soft icing)
http://tinyurl.com/38vnz7

In two weekends I am making a football field cake. My brother and I have
birthdays 5 days apart, and my two nieces (a band geek and a cheerleader,
twins go figure) graduated and are getting ready to go away to college. So
we decided to combine them all and have a Pep Rally themed party with a
football cake, brats, nachos, french dipped sandwiches, Wii football on the
big screen so the big kids have something to play.

I love this kind of thing, and having a decorating partner makes everything
easier. I'll be there in spirit. Oh and I found tiny football players, a
couple of marching band members, and a few cheerleaders for the top of the
cake I'm making. Can't wait to see how it comes out. I always make something
different for the kids for birthdays, too cause I am not paying what a
bakery charges, and I think it's fun.

Good Luck

Cindi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
>I need a favor from you guys and you always come through every time I ask,
> so..... I'm askin'.
>
> I'm supposed to help with the menu of my friend's daughter's 17th birthday
> next month on the 23. They're planning on serving (ahem)......ready?
> (Keep
> in mind, these are my friends who eat processed food and if it can't be
> nuked, they won't eat it because they don't understand how to cook it.)
>
> Frozen, pre-cooked meatballs with Hunts BBQ sauce.
> Chips - premade onion dip
> Oscar Meyer triangle ham sandwiches on wonder bread with mustard
> Crudites with onion dip
>
> I've offered to make the meatballs, I've offered to even make lasagna -
> nope, they want the frozen pre-made meatballs and sandwiches.
>
> In any case, the daughter wants a 3 tiered cake. That one, somehow, falls
> to me because it's not covered under their government foodstamps because
> it
> would be a special order. Amanda, the birthday girl, wants a white cake
> with pink frosting. Does anyone have an excellent recipe for a white
> cake?
> I need moist, delectable, finger-lickin' good. In other words, I have to
> have something taste good at this party for 60 people! It must be a white
> cake with pink icing.

There is no such thing as a white cake that tastes good, and nobody actually
likes it except slobs who bring their fat kids to 7-11 for those disgusting
frozen blue slurpee drinks. Buy a mix and packaged frosting and be done with
it. It's not worth the trouble, especially for the people you've described.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindi - HappyMamatoThree wrote:

> (you can get the pink sparkles too and use those sprinkled over the
> still soft icing)
> http://tinyurl.com/38vnz7
>
> In two weekends I am making a football field cake. My brother and I
> have birthdays 5 days apart, and my two nieces (a band geek and a
> cheerleader, twins go figure) graduated and are getting ready to go
> away to college. So we decided to combine them all and have a Pep
> Rally themed party with a football cake, brats, nachos, french dipped
> sandwiches, Wii football on the big screen so the big kids have
> something to play.
>
> I love this kind of thing, and having a decorating partner makes
> everything easier. I'll be there in spirit. Oh and I found tiny
> football players, a couple of marching band members, and a few
> cheerleaders for the top of the cake I'm making. Can't wait to see
> how it comes out. I always make something different for the kids for
> birthdays, too cause I am not paying what a bakery charges, and I
> think it's fun.
>
> Good Luck
>
> Cindi

Sounds like you're going to have a great time! I'll be expecting your
spirit here on August 22. :~) Thanks again for your suggestions.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "kilikini" > dropped this turd
> : in rec.food.cooking
>

>> Help me! Every time I've made a cake, it's come out dry. I need to
>> make this the highlight of the evening. Please. Please. I've got
>> to do this right.
>>
>> kili

> For this crowd I'd say just buy boxed white cake mix. Can't you add
> instant pudding to a cake mix to make it moister? It'll be the
> highlight if you ice it and decorate it really nicely. If you were
> using white icing I'd say do a strawberry cake with whipped cream
> icing. That would be yummy.
>
> Michael <- not much help but trying

And your help is always appreciated, sweet Michael. <smooch>

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Dee Dee > dropped this turd
> oups.com: in
> rec.food.cooking
>
>> On Jul 15, 10:16 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>> "kilikini" > wrote in message

>>> Cake is one of those things that I found works just as well from a
>>> mix as it does from scratch.

>> Some people's tastes will never advance whether they are on
>> foodstamps or not, and are not able to understand any help on how to
>> make better tasting meals. I would do a cake that reflects their
>> particular tastes and they might very well be happy with whatever
>> effort you make.
>>
>> Just emptying a mix out of the box, stirring in a few eggs and oil
>> might just be the ticket to get you cudos. Let the icing be the ooh-
>> ahh.
>> Dee Dee

> That was sort of my thinking too. Regular boxed mix and then Christy
> could turn her talent to the decorating of the cake. Who knows,
> Christy might be FoodTV's next new cake chef Of couse they would
> not allow her to make a cake from scratch. Boxed mixes would be
> mandatory I can see it now...
>

> Michael <- doesn't bake and really hasn't a clue how to make a cake
> from scratch so buys 'em from the bakery

I haven't a clue either, but maybe this is my new calling????? I'm just
going to have to experiment.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "kilikini" > dropped this turd
> news:469ae09c : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Dee Dee wrote:

>>> Some people's tastes will never advance whether they are on
>>> foodstamps or not, and are not able to understand any help on how
>>> to make better tasting meals. I would do a cake that reflects their
>>> particular tastes and they might very well be happy with whatever
>>> effort you make.
>>>
>>> Just emptying a mix out of the box, stirring in a few eggs and oil
>>> might just be the ticket to get you cudos. Let the icing be the
>>> ooh- ahh.
>>> Dee Dee

>> You know, you may be right, Dee Dee. Thanks. Maybe I'm stressing
>> over nothing.
>>
>> kili

> Yep, keep it simple, sweet and very pretty. Like you <blush>
>
> Michael

Oh, peeshaw, peeshaw....

kili <------- blushing back at ya.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 07:57:29 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Cindi - HappyMamatoThree wrote:
>>> Help me! Every time I've made a cake, it's come out dry. I need to
>>> make this the highlight of the evening. Please. Please. I've got
>>> to do this right.

>> This sounds like an excellent gift. But I would probably have chosen
>> to tell her that she has some great ideas and you will try to use as
>> many of them as you can in making the cake, but it won't be exactly
>> what she is asking for because you may not have the supplies. A great
>> trick for enhancing a boxed cake mix is to add the pudding like
>> everyone else has already said. I would think a simple buttercream
>> frosting would be easiest, or go with creamcheese for a little
>> different flavor. Either use the frosting for the filling between
>> layers or use a fruity filling, strawberry jam, raspberry preserves,
>> maybe a white chocolate frosting with pink tint would be more up her
>> alley if she loves chocolate.
>>
>> How about a 9X13 for the base and two 8" or 9" rounds offset to one
>> side of the 9X13 so you can write on the 9X13 just beside the stacked
>> rounds.
>>
>> If you want something a little fancier for the top of the rounds, make
>> another smaller cake in a 6" diameter pyrex bowl. The cake baked in
>> the bowl will give a dome effect on top of the two rounds. Adds
>> effect without costing anything for tools or decorations.
>>
>> And if she wants ribbons and bows, how about bulk ribbon from
>> Michael's or JoAnne's. Buy the picot ribbon that has the little loops
>> along the edge. You can usually catch it for less than a dollar for
>> 10 yards, and often on sale 2 for a dollar. It will cut down on
>> expense for bags, tips, icing, and still be perfectly suitable for a
>> birthday party. Might want to do something glittery in the piping
>> along the edges of the cake and for the words. the "glittery" sugar
>> crystals are really cheap and can be used alone or stirred into
>> frosting. You can add silk or fresh flowers to the cake, or beads
>> (mardi gras beads are everywhere on clearance right now in the party
>> and decorating store). If she loves that teenage princess thing, a
>> 99cent tiara and strings of beads and ribbon would be just the
>> ticket.
>>
>> Man that got long. Cakes are one of those things I love to do. Hope
>> you have fun.
>>
>> Cindi
>>

>I think a white chocolate icing with a tinge of red food coloring would be
>wonderful! I love all your suggestions. (Psssst - come on over, I may
>need your help!) <g>

Maybe watching a couple of how to videos will help too
http://video.about.com/baking/How-to-Frost-a-Cake.htm# You'll need to
enable the IE tab if you're using Firefox. If you poke around there
is a video on how to "fill" a cake... you might want to do a raspberry
filling, for instance.

Baking with a cake mix -
http://baking.about.com/od/hintsandt...emixbaking.htm

Make icing -
http://baking.about.com/od/frostings...andeasyfru.htm

BTW: fresh flowers are lovely on a cake, what's growing in your yard?

Just for fun and maybe a gift someday:
http://video.about.com/weddings/Make...ng-Bouquet.htm

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 07:57:29 -0400, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
> Maybe watching a couple of how to videos will help too
> http://video.about.com/baking/How-to-Frost-a-Cake.htm# You'll need to
> enable the IE tab if you're using Firefox. If you poke around there
> is a video on how to "fill" a cake... you might want to do a raspberry
> filling, for instance.
>
> Baking with a cake mix -
> http://baking.about.com/od/hintsandt...emixbaking.htm
>
> Make icing -
> http://baking.about.com/od/frostings...andeasyfru.htm
>
> BTW: fresh flowers are lovely on a cake, what's growing in your yard?
>
> Just for fun and maybe a gift someday:
> http://video.about.com/weddings/Make...ng-Bouquet.htm

Thanks for the links, sf! I appreciate it.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
<snipped>

> They would be easier. I'm still trying to figure out how to make the tiers.
> Amanda wants round tiers, like a wedding cake, and she wants icing around it
> to look like ribbons and bows that are tying up the tiers. Gosh almighty,
> I'm not a professional baker!!!!!
>
> kili

I've got a cake book that gives directions on making chocolate ribbons
and bows for decorating. I've never tried it, even though the
directions look feasible. I can bake cakes but am not so skilled at
decorating.

I'm in agreement with those who say to get them to buy whatever
ingredients they can. The ribbon recipe requires a double boiler,
candy thermometer, white chocolate, corn syrup, and confectioner's
sugar. The double boiler can be worked around if you don't have one,
but the thermometer seems pretty crucial.

If you're interested in experimenting with this, I can type up an
abbreviated version of the directions and email them to you.

pat

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 5:30 am, "kilikini" > wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> >> Just have them buy a few boxes of of white cake mix and some cans of
> >> frosting and red food dye, and whatever else the method on the back
> >> of the box calls for (oil?). Their food stamps will cover that.
> >> There's NO reason for you to pay for it; you aren't exactly rolling
> >> in dough. You can bake it for them.

> > Forgot to say, they CAN buy the ingredients for a cake with their food
> > stamps if it must be from scratch. Flour, sugar, eggs, etc. It
> > doesn't have to come from a bakery. Box mixes would be easier on
> > you, though

> > Jill

> They would be easier. I'm still trying to figure out how to make the tiers.
> Amanda wants round tiers, like a wedding cake, and she wants icing around it
> to look like ribbons and bows that are tying up the tiers. Gosh almighty,
> I'm not a professional baker!!!!!
>
> kili- Hide quoted text -

Take up money for something at Costco. Lordy, what a task!
Things like this takes a lot of experience. I'd be thinking
'nightmare' right now. Tiers! Tiers?
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:
> On Jul 16, 5:30 am, "kilikini" > wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Forgot to say, they CAN buy the ingredients for a cake with their
>>> food stamps if it must be from scratch. Flour, sugar, eggs, etc.
>>> It doesn't have to come from a bakery. Box mixes would be easier on
>>> you, though

>>> Jill

>> They would be easier. I'm still trying to figure out how to make
>> the tiers. Amanda wants round tiers, like a wedding cake, and she
>> wants icing around it to look like ribbons and bows that are tying
>> up the tiers. Gosh almighty, I'm not a professional baker!!!!!
>>
>> kili- Hide quoted text -

> Take up money for something at Costco. Lordy, what a task!
> Things like this takes a lot of experience. I'd be thinking
> 'nightmare' right now. Tiers! Tiers?
> Dee Dee

Yeah, those are my thoughts exactly. At first it was supposed to be a cake
for about 10 of her friends. No problem. I was thinking sheet cake. No
sweat. Now it's this big gala affair for about 60 guests with a dress code
and everything. Sheesh! The girls have to wear pink and white and the boys
are required to wear black and white. I don't own anything pink and I'm not
about to buy anything pink just so that I can serve her friends some cake
and reheated, prefab meatballs. I'm sorry. I'm wearing what I'm wearing.

If this were a wedding that I had to cater, it would be different, but it's
a girl's 17th birthday party. It's not even a life event like turning 18 or
turning 21 or even 40. She'll be 17. My gift to her is making the cake and
I'll do it to the best of my ability, but she's turning this thing into an
elaborate affair. Oh, and now she wants to add pre-cooked shrimp to the
menu because they're pink. I told her mother to please NOT buy pre-cooked
shrimp (which is generally more expensive) but to buy raw shrimp and I'll
cook it. Her mother was stunned and said that they really like the store
pre-cooked shrimp. Okay, whatever. I find them salty and watery, but,
HMMV. Heck, I'd even be willing to do a sweet & sour marinade and grill
some shrimp up on skewers, but if she prefers the pre-cooked ones, that's
her choice. (Have I mentioned that they really don't know anything about
good food?)

I'm getting frustrated because they're calling me up on the hour, changing
their minds about menus and such. This party is still over a month away.
Oh, and they're adding virgin pina coladas and daqueris. I think that's a
little over the top and rather expensive on a food stamp budget, but, maybe
that's just me.

kili <----- getting more frustrated by every phone call from them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> Dee Dee wrote:

>>> They would be easier. I'm still trying to figure out how to make
>>> the tiers. Amanda wants round tiers, like a wedding cake, and she
>>> wants icing around it to look like ribbons and bows that are tying
>>> up the tiers. Gosh almighty, I'm not a professional baker!!!!!
>>>
>>> kili
>>>

>> Take up money for something at Costco. Lordy, what a task!
>> Things like this takes a lot of experience. I'd be thinking
>> 'nightmare' right now. Tiers! Tiers?
>> Dee Dee

> Yeah, those are my thoughts exactly. At first it was supposed to be
> a cake for about 10 of her friends. No problem. I was thinking
> sheet cake. No sweat. Now it's this big gala affair for about 60
> guests with a dress code and everything. Sheesh! The girls have to
> wear pink and white and the boys are required to wear black and
> white. I don't own anything pink and I'm not about to buy anything
> pink just so that I can serve her friends some cake and reheated,
> prefab meatballs. I'm sorry. I'm wearing what I'm wearing.

This is getting to be quite ridiculous! Make sure you move before she turns
18! LOL

> I'm getting frustrated because they're calling me up on the hour,
> changing their minds about menus and such. This party is still over
> a month away. Oh, and they're adding virgin pina coladas and
> daqueris. I think that's a little over the top and rather expensive
> on a food stamp budget, but, maybe that's just me.

(sigh) They really are going over the top, food stamps or not. It's not
like they live in a McMansion with a swimming pool and a cabana in the back
yard.

> kili <----- getting more frustrated by every phone call from them.

Stop answering the phone

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> I'm getting frustrated because they're calling me up on the hour, changing
> their minds about menus and such. This party is still over a month away.
> Oh, and they're adding virgin pina coladas and daqueris. I think that's a
> little over the top and rather expensive on a food stamp budget, but, maybe
> that's just me.
>
> kili <----- getting more frustrated by every phone call from them.

If it's a month away, they're going to change their minds a whole lot
of times before then. Stick with what you said you'd do and don't get
into offering other things (I know this from experience!).

pat

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> Dee Dee wrote:

>>Some people's tastes will never advance whether they are on foodstamps
>>or not, and are not able to understand any help on how to make better
>>tasting meals. I would do a cake that reflects their particular tastes
>>and they might very well be happy with whatever effort you make.
>>
>>Just emptying a mix out of the box, stirring in a few eggs and oil
>>might just be the ticket to get you cudos. Let the icing be the ooh-
>>ahh.
>>Dee Dee

> You know, you may be right, Dee Dee. Thanks. Maybe I'm stressing over
> nothing.
>
> kili

Kili, I do not know this teenager, but I wonder if she knows the
difference between white cake and yellow cake? I would mention that
white cake may not be as moist, then I would let it be her decision. If
it means that much to her, then what the heck, she is the birthday girl.

How about a cream cheese frosting (dyed pink)? You could add lemon
juice for a little flavor. It sounds like a white cake with white
(pink) frosting would taste a little boring, but again, she is the
birthday girl. A coconut cake with pink frosting may taste good.

A cake for 60 people? That will be a big cake. I am pondering the 3
tiers, though... what pans could you use, to make it big enough to feed
60 people. You could add a chocolate sheet cake, for the people who
like chocolate. This way you could get by with a smaller 3-tired cake.
Sheesh, it isn't like the girl is getting married, or anything. You
are a good friend, I hope they appreciate you. I will keep pondering
the pans for a 3-tired cake.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hi Kili,

We've never talked, cause I lurk mostly. :0) But I've made the following
recipe many times for many different people and noone knows it's not
completely from scratch. My husband can't have regular chocolate, but white
chocolate is fine and he may be the "pickiest man alive" and he loves this.
The lemon taste is their but it's not prominent. You could then arrange and
cut the layers in any configuration you need and tint the frosting
accordingly. Also, I think seedless raspberry jam would be wonderfull
instead of the lemon curd
I actually have the cake mix doctor book and use it all the
time. I've baked many "from scratch" cakes and many from mixes in my day.
Most of the cakes I bake now are from the book and most of the them are
crazy reliable. ( I said most, I think I did have one dud -- can't remember
which one.)

http://www.cakemixdoctor.com/recipes...hocolate_c.php

Lisa aka Pagemaster

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Express! Signs & Banners wrote:

> Hi Kili,
>
> We've never talked, cause I lurk mostly. :0) But I've made the
> following recipe many times for many different people and noone knows
> it's not completely from scratch. My husband can't have regular
> chocolate, but white chocolate is fine and he may be the "pickiest
> man alive" and he loves this. The lemon taste is their but it's not
> prominent. You could then arrange and cut the layers in any
> configuration you need and tint the frosting accordingly. Also, I
> think seedless raspberry jam would be wonderfull instead of the lemon
> curd I actually have the cake mix doctor book and use it all the
> time. I've baked many "from scratch" cakes and many from mixes in my
> day. Most of the cakes I bake now are from the book and most of the
> them are crazy reliable. ( I said most, I think I did have one dud --
> can't remember which one.)
>
> http://www.cakemixdoctor.com/recipes...hocolate_c.php
>

> Lisa aka Pagemaster

Nice recipes. It also sounds delicious.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>
>> Dee Dee wrote:

>>> Some people's tastes will never advance whether they are on
>>> foodstamps or not, and are not able to understand any help on how
>>> to make better tasting meals. I would do a cake that reflects their
>>> particular tastes and they might very well be happy with whatever
>>> effort you make.
>>>
>>> Just emptying a mix out of the box, stirring in a few eggs and oil
>>> might just be the ticket to get you cudos. Let the icing be the
>>> ooh- ahh.
>>> Dee Dee

>> You know, you may be right, Dee Dee. Thanks. Maybe I'm stressing
>> over nothing.
>>
>> kili

> Kili, I do not know this teenager, but I wonder if she knows the
> difference between white cake and yellow cake? I would mention that
> white cake may not be as moist, then I would let it be her decision.
> If it means that much to her, then what the heck, she is the birthday
> girl.
>
> How about a cream cheese frosting (dyed pink)? You could add lemon
> juice for a little flavor. It sounds like a white cake with white
> (pink) frosting would taste a little boring, but again, she is the
> birthday girl. A coconut cake with pink frosting may taste good.
>
> A cake for 60 people? That will be a big cake. I am pondering the 3
> tiers, though... what pans could you use, to make it big enough to
> feed 60 people. You could add a chocolate sheet cake, for the people
> who like chocolate. This way you could get by with a smaller 3-tired
> cake. Sheesh, it isn't like the girl is getting married, or
> anything. You are a good friend, I hope they appreciate you. I will
> keep pondering the pans for a 3-tired cake.
>
> Becca

Please ponder away. I suggested a yellow cake, but the theme is pink and
white, so Amanda is adamant on the white cake. Therefore, the only
chocolate I can get away with would be white chocolate. You're not kidding,
though. This is going to have to be one huge cake! I may just purchase
some aluminum cake pans to make it to help cut costs down since I'll most
likely never use a cake pan again.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Express! Signs & Banners wrote:
> Hi Kili,
>
> We've never talked, cause I lurk mostly. :0) But I've made the
> following recipe many times for many different people and noone knows
> it's not completely from scratch. My husband can't have regular
> chocolate, but white chocolate is fine and he may be the "pickiest
> man alive" and he loves this. The lemon taste is their but it's not
> prominent. You could then arrange and cut the layers in any
> configuration you need and tint the frosting accordingly. Also, I
> think seedless raspberry jam would be wonderfull instead of the lemon
> curd
> I actually have the cake mix doctor book and use it all the
> time. I've baked many "from scratch" cakes and many from mixes in my
> day. Most of the cakes I bake now are from the book and most of the
> them are crazy reliable. ( I said most, I think I did have one dud --
> can't remember which one.)

http://www.cakemixdoctor.com/recipes...ers_white_choc
olate_c.php

> Lisa aka Pagemaster

Thanks for delurking! I appreciate it. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

This is going to have to be one huge cake! I may just purchase
> some aluminum cake pans to make it to help cut costs down since I'll most
> likely never use a cake pan again.

What about using a couple of cupcake trees in conjunction with the other
three tier, smaller cake. They aren't expensive. They can be reused over and
over, and less cutting is required. Just a thought.

http://sugarcraft.com/catalog/misc/c...bakingcups.htm

Cindi

> kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee > wrote in
oups.com:

> They would be easier. I'm still trying to figure out how to make the
> tiers.

Foil up some stiff cardboard rounds, use wooden dowels to support the foil
rounds...Push the dowels through the tier beneath to rest on it's foiled
round..