Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Graham cracker crust

I know, what could be simpler? Well, the couple I've made, while
successful tastewise, are a failure at coming out of the pan.

I use 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (crushed myself),
6 ounces of butter and 2 tablespoons of sugar.

Glass Pyrex deepdish pan, unbuttered. Baked before filling.

I made Stan's Weight Watchers lemon cream pie again, and again
the crust marries itself to the pan. What am I doing wrong?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> I know, what could be simpler? Well, the couple I've made, while
> successful tastewise, are a failure at coming out of the pan.
>
> I use 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (crushed myself),
> 6 ounces of butter and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
>
> Glass Pyrex deepdish pan, unbuttered. Baked before filling.
>
> I made Stan's Weight Watchers lemon cream pie again, and again
> the crust marries itself to the pan. What am I doing wrong?
>
> nancy

I saw Ellie Krieger making a graham cracker crust on tv and she
sprayed the pie dish first....hth.....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> I know, what could be simpler? Well, the couple I've made, while
>> successful tastewise, are a failure at coming out of the pan.
>>
>> I use 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (crushed myself),
>> 6 ounces of butter and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
>>
>> Glass Pyrex deepdish pan, unbuttered. Baked before filling.
>>
>> I made Stan's Weight Watchers lemon cream pie again, and again
>> the crust marries itself to the pan. What am I doing wrong?

> I saw Ellie Krieger making a graham cracker crust on tv and she
> sprayed the pie dish first....hth.....Sharon

Thanks, Sharon. I'd looked at so many recipes, no one seems to need
to spray the pan but me. There is a lot of butter in the crust. Just
thought
maybe I was missing some graham cracker crust secret. From now on
I'll just spray, a sign of failure. heh

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote on 10 Apr 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> "biig" > wrote
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:
> >>
> >> I know, what could be simpler? Well, the couple I've made, while
> >> successful tastewise, are a failure at coming out of the pan.
> >>
> >> I use 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (crushed myself),
> >> 6 ounces of butter and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
> >>
> >> Glass Pyrex deepdish pan, unbuttered. Baked before filling.
> >>
> >> I made Stan's Weight Watchers lemon cream pie again, and again
> >> the crust marries itself to the pan. What am I doing wrong?

> > I saw Ellie Krieger making a graham cracker crust on tv and she
> > sprayed the pie dish first....hth.....Sharon

> Thanks, Sharon. I'd looked at so many recipes, no one seems to need
> to spray the pan but me. There is a lot of butter in the crust. Just
> thought
> maybe I was missing some graham cracker crust secret. From now on
> I'll just spray, a sign of failure. heh
>
> nancy

Don't you season your crumb crusts? What I mean is add stuff like cinnamon
nutmeg or apple pie type spices?..."The Cake Bible" Author turned me on to
that. ...Also don't you add almond crumbs or say shredded Coconut to them?
This is also I thing I like.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote on 10 Apr 2007 in rec.food.cooking

>> > I saw Ellie Krieger making a graham cracker crust on tv and she
>> > sprayed the pie dish first....hth.....Sharon

>> Thanks, Sharon. I'd looked at so many recipes, no one seems to need
>> to spray the pan but me. There is a lot of butter in the crust. Just
>> thought
>> maybe I was missing some graham cracker crust secret. From now on
>> I'll just spray, a sign of failure. heh

> Don't you season your crumb crusts? What I mean is add stuff like cinnamon
> nutmeg or apple pie type spices?..."The Cake Bible" Author turned me on to
> that. ...Also don't you add almond crumbs or say shredded Coconut to them?
> This is also I thing I like.

I would like those things, also. But no, I don't. Something to
consider, next time I try. Especially the almonds. Thanks.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 7:46 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> I know, what could be simpler? Well, the couple I've made, while
> successful tastewise, are a failure at coming out of the pan.
>
> I use 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (crushed myself),
> 6 ounces of butter and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
>
> Glass Pyrex deepdish pan, unbuttered. Baked before filling.
>
> I made Stan's Weight Watchers lemon cream pie again, and again
> the crust marries itself to the pan. What am I doing wrong?
>
> nancy

I'd probably grease the pan, but then again, you know I'm a
heretic... How about either a spring form pan and/or parchment paper?

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kuvasz guy wrote on 10 Apr 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> On Apr 10, 7:46 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> > I know, what could be simpler? Well, the couple I've made, while
> > successful tastewise, are a failure at coming out of the pan.
> >
> > I use 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (crushed myself),
> > 6 ounces of butter and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
> >
> > Glass Pyrex deepdish pan, unbuttered. Baked before filling.
> >
> > I made Stan's Weight Watchers lemon cream pie again, and again
> > the crust marries itself to the pan. What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > nancy

> I'd probably grease the pan, but then again, you know I'm a
> heretic... How about either a spring form pan and/or parchment paper?
>
> ..fred

I'm figuring it's over baking...Graham Cracker crusts contain nothing that
require cooking before eating...Usually baked to get the butter to be
absorbed better, to stiffen up the crust a bit and to get the crust a
prettier colour brown. If baked too long or too hot the sugar melts and
causes it to stick to the pan...that is my guess. And it is a guess.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> I know, what could be simpler? Well, the couple I've made, while
> successful tastewise, are a failure at coming out of the pan.
>
> I use 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (crushed myself),
> 6 ounces of butter and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
>
> Glass Pyrex deepdish pan, unbuttered. Baked before filling.
>
> I made Stan's Weight Watchers lemon cream pie again, and again
> the crust marries itself to the pan. What am I doing wrong?
>
> nancy

Mine uses only 4 T butter, quite a bit less. 6 oz is what?...3/4 C.

I made a regular pie crust that used tons more butter than my regular
and it also turned to glue and would not come off the pan. Maybe
there's a too much butter problem.

marcella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 8:36 am, Marcella Peek > wrote:
> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
> > I know, what could be simpler? Well, the couple I've made, while
> > successful tastewise, are a failure at coming out of the pan.

> > I use 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (crushed myself),
> > 6 ounces of butter and 2 tablespoons of sugar.

> > Glass Pyrex deepdish pan, unbuttered. Baked before filling.

> > I made Stan's Weight Watchers lemon cream pie again, and again
> > the crust marries itself to the pan. What am I doing wrong?

> > nancy

> Mine uses only 4 T butter, quite a bit less. 6 oz is what?...3/4 C.
>
> I made a regular pie crust that used tons more butter than my regular
> and it also turned to glue and would not come off the pan. Maybe
> there's a too much butter problem.
>
> marcella

I agree- I usually "eyeball" the butter, using the least amount needed
to get it to come together.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Apr 10, 4:46 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> I know, what could be simpler? Well, the couple I've made, while
> successful tastewise, are a failure at coming out of the pan.
>
> I use 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (crushed myself),
> 6 ounces of butter and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
>
> Glass Pyrex deepdish pan, unbuttered. Baked before filling.
>
> I made Stan's Weight Watchers lemon cream pie again, and again
> the crust marries itself to the pan. What am I doing wrong?

When is it that you want to remove the crust from the pan? When I
make key lime pie the crust is much like yours but it stays in the
(aluminum) pie pan after it's baked. Then it is filled and the pie
baked again. About 12 minutes each baking time. Then I serve it from
the same pan. I've never had a wedge that stuck to the pan. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kuvasz guy" > wrote

> On Apr 10, 7:46 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> I made Stan's Weight Watchers lemon cream pie again, and again
>> the crust marries itself to the pan. What am I doing wrong?

> I'd probably grease the pan, but then again, you know I'm a
> heretic... How about either a spring form pan and/or parchment paper?

I think it would stick just fine to a springform pany, truth be
told. Might be fun watching the crust get ripped off the pie,
though. Heh.

Seems like anyone can make, say, a chocolate cream pie
with graham cracker crust and they don't have any problem.
I just suck at baking, I think.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Marcella Peek" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> I know, what could be simpler? Well, the couple I've made, while
>> successful tastewise, are a failure at coming out of the pan.
>>
>> I use 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (crushed myself),
>> 6 ounces of butter and 2 tablespoons of sugar.

> Mine uses only 4 T butter, quite a bit less. 6 oz is what?...3/4 C.
>
> I made a regular pie crust that used tons more butter than my regular
> and it also turned to glue and would not come off the pan. Maybe
> there's a too much butter problem.

I will definitely try that next time. I have to save up for more
lemons first. This pie calls for at least 4 or 5. Sticker shock seeing
them at 2 for $1.49. Ouch. Luckily I found them sold by the bag
of 6 for $2.99. But I digress.

Thanks for the idea.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> I know, what could be simpler? Well, the couple I've made, while
> successful tastewise, are a failure at coming out of the pan.
>
> I use 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (crushed myself),
> 6 ounces of butter and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
>
> Glass Pyrex deepdish pan, unbuttered. Baked before filling.
>
> I made Stan's Weight Watchers lemon cream pie again, and again
> the crust marries itself to the pan. What am I doing wrong?
>
> nancy

My distant recollection was that they stuck to glass but not to metal?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> I know, what could be simpler? Well, the couple I've made, while
>> successful tastewise, are a failure at coming out of the pan.

>> Glass Pyrex deepdish pan, unbuttered. Baked before filling.

> My distant recollection was that they stuck to glass but not to metal?

I like that. Could explain having a problem with something
so basic. And it wouldn't be my fault. Heh. Thanks.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:31:54 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

<snip>

>Seems like anyone can make, say, a chocolate cream pie
>with graham cracker crust and they don't have any problem.
>I just suck at baking, I think.

I've always claimed to suck at baking. My pies taste great, but the
crust always looks like it had been made in the dark. Ditto my graham
cracker crusts - you have to pretty much chip them out of the pie pan.
The one time I tried spraying the pie pan with Pam, I couldn't get the
graham cracker mixture to stick. Talk about a lose/lose.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote

> On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:31:54 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> rummaged among random neurons and opined:
>
> <snip>
>
>>Seems like anyone can make, say, a chocolate cream pie
>>with graham cracker crust and they don't have any problem.
>>I just suck at baking, I think.

> I've always claimed to suck at baking. My pies taste great, but the
> crust always looks like it had been made in the dark. Ditto my graham
> cracker crusts - you have to pretty much chip them out of the pie pan.

Heh heh, but they taste so good, you do make effort. It would
just be nice if I could put a whole piece of pie on a plate, intact.

> The one time I tried spraying the pie pan with Pam, I couldn't get the
> graham cracker mixture to stick. Talk about a lose/lose.

Yeah, I can see that. Maybe I should go aluminum instead of glass.

Or just quit making pies.

nancy