Dee Randall

Default Pumpkin pie + graham cracker crust?

Is making a " regular - right off the back of a can" pumpkin pie using a
graham cracker crust strange to the taste?

Are there any guides as to what kinds of pies that graham cracker crusts are
used for?

Thanks,
Dee

Wayne Boatwright

"Dee Randall" > wrote in
:

> Is making a " regular - right off the back of a can" pumpkin pie using
> a graham cracker crust strange to the taste?
>
> Are there any guides as to what kinds of pies that graham cracker
> crusts are used for?
>
> Thanks,
> Dee

No, Dee, it's not really strange, just different. A much better and more
interesting crumb crust for pumpkin pie, however, can be made with
gingersnap crumbs. The spiciness seems to be a perfect match.

HTH
Wayne
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 12:53:12 GMT, Floyd Farcus >
wrote:

>1 cup pumpkin

How would you prepare the pumpkin if you were making it from fresh
pumpkin?

(Looks like a great recipe, by the way!)

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davida @ jdc . org . il>
Dee Randall

Thanks for the tip, Wayne, I appreciate it.

I found this on the net from cooks.com; do you think it's appropriate for a
pumpkin pie?
Do you know, is there such an item as "ginger snap crumbs" as there are
"graham cracker crumbs" or does one find the hammer?

Do you yourself bake your ginger snap pie crust prior to filling it? or
anything different below -- IOW, any tips for me?

Thanks for the answers on cool whip, too; much appreciated.

GINGER SNAP PIE CRUST

1 1/2 c. ginger snap crumbs

2 tbsp. sugar

1/4 c. butter, melted

Combine ginger snaps and sugar in a small bowl.

Add butter, mix well.

Press mixture into bottom and sides of a lightly greased 9 inch pie plate.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Cool. Yield: one 9 inch pie crust.

Dee

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in
> :
>
> > Is making a " regular - right off the back of a can" pumpkin pie using
> > a graham cracker crust strange to the taste?
> >
> > Are there any guides as to what kinds of pies that graham cracker
> > crusts are used for?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dee

> No, Dee, it's not really strange, just different. A much better and more
> interesting crumb crust for pumpkin pie, however, can be made with
> gingersnap crumbs. The spiciness seems to be a perfect match.
>
> HTH
> Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

Hi Dee,

Yes, that recipe is typical and good. No, to my knowledge there are no
prepared gingersnap crumbs on the market. I break the gingersnaps in 2-3
pieces and make them into crumbs in the food processor. My mom used to
put them in a zip-loc bag and pound them with a rolling pin or the flat
side of a meat hammer.

Cheers,
Wayne

"Dee Randall" > wrote in
:

> Thanks for the tip, Wayne, I appreciate it.
>
> I found this on the net from cooks.com; do you think it's appropriate
> for a pumpkin pie?
> Do you know, is there such an item as "ginger snap crumbs" as there
> are "graham cracker crumbs" or does one find the hammer?
>
> Do you yourself bake your ginger snap pie crust prior to filling it?
> or anything different below -- IOW, any tips for me?
>
> Thanks for the answers on cool whip, too; much appreciated.
>

> GINGER SNAP PIE CRUST
>

> 1 1/2 c. ginger snap crumbs
>
> 2 tbsp. sugar
>
> 1/4 c. butter, melted
>

> Combine ginger snaps and sugar in a small bowl.
>
> Add butter, mix well.
>
> Press mixture into bottom and sides of a lightly greased 9 inch pie
> plate. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
>
> Cool. Yield: one 9 inch pie crust.
>

> Dee

Wayne Boatwright

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady > wrote in
:

> NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
> On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 12:53:12 GMT, Floyd Farcus >
> wrote:
>
>>1 cup pumpkin

> How would you prepare the pumpkin if you were making it from fresh
> pumpkin?

Cut the pumpkin in half and oil the cut surfaces. Place face down on a
cookie sheet with rim. Bake at 325-350°F for 45-60, or until a fork or
knife can easily pierce completely through the flesh. Remove from oven and
cool each half on a wire rack to allow excess juice to drip out. Scoop out
seeds and fiber, then scoop out pumpkin from rind into large mixing bowl.
Mash with potato masher. You may also use a food mill or food processor,
however, I prefer the texture produced by the potato masher. Turn mashed
pulp into stainless steel or plastic colander and suspend it over a bowl in
the refrigerator overnight. This also allows the excess moisture to drip
away. The pumpkin pulp is now ready for use. It can also be frozen for
future use.

HTH
Wayne
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Thu, 01
Jan 2004 21:35:06 GMT, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
Wayne Boatwright > reported:

>Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady > wrote in
:

>> NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
>> On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 12:53:12 GMT, Floyd Farcus >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>1 cup pumpkin

>> How would you prepare the pumpkin if you were making it from fresh
>> pumpkin?

>Cut the pumpkin in half and oil the cut surfaces. Place face down on a
>cookie sheet with rim. Bake at 325-350°F for 45-60, or until a fork or
>knife can easily pierce completely through the flesh. Remove from oven and
>cool each half on a wire rack to allow excess juice to drip out. Scoop out
>seeds and fiber, then scoop out pumpkin from rind into large mixing bowl.
>Mash with potato masher. You may also use a food mill or food processor,
>however, I prefer the texture produced by the potato masher. Turn mashed
>pulp into stainless steel or plastic colander and suspend it over a bowl in
>the refrigerator overnight. This also allows the excess moisture to drip
>away. The pumpkin pulp is now ready for use. It can also be frozen for
>future use.
>
>HTH
>Wayne

EXCELLENT! Many thanks.

Is there at particular type of pumpkin that you use? Can this be done
with Butternut squash (which is less sweet)?

(I do love this group!)

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
< davida at jdc dot org dot il >
"What you see before you, my friend, is the result of a lifetime of
chocolate."
--Katharine Hepburn (May 12, 1907 - June 29, 2003)
~*~*~*~*~*~
Links to my published poetry - http://davidachazan.homestead.com/
~*~*~*~*~*~
Wayne Boatwright

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady > wrote in
:

> (Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Thu, 01
> Jan 2004 21:35:06 GMT, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
> Wayne Boatwright > reported:
>
>>Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady > wrote in
m:

>>> NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the
>>> spaces). On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 12:53:12 GMT, Floyd Farcus

>>> How would you prepare the pumpkin if you were making it from fresh
>>> pumpkin?

>>Cut the pumpkin in half and oil the cut surfaces. Place face down on
>>a cookie sheet with rim. Bake at 325-350°F for 45-60, or until a fork
>>or knife can easily pierce completely through the flesh. Remove from
>>oven and cool each half on a wire rack to allow excess juice to drip
>>out. Scoop out seeds and fiber, then scoop out pumpkin from rind into
>>large mixing bowl. Mash with potato masher. You may also use a food
>>mill or food processor, however, I prefer the texture produced by the
>>potato masher. Turn mashed pulp into stainless steel or plastic
>>colander and suspend it over a bowl in the refrigerator overnight.
>>This also allows the excess moisture to drip away. The pumpkin pulp
>>is now ready for use. It can also be frozen for future use.
>>
>>HTH
>>Wayne

> EXCELLENT! Many thanks.
>
> Is there at particular type of pumpkin that you use? Can this be done
> with Butternut squash (which is less sweet)?

Yes, in general you should look for smaller pumpkins, and varieties that
are particularly good for pie are "sugar pumpkins" and "pie pumpkins".
They are often labeled as such, but not always. I would try to keep the
size no larger than a bowling ball.

Butternut squash makes an excellent pie, as do other squashes. I have
also used acorn squash and hubbard squash. Prepare other squashes the
same as the directions for pumpkins. If you need to adjust the
sweetness, no problem, although the amount of sugar going into the
typical pumpkin pie (3/4 - 1 cup) is usually sufficient for any squash.

Wayne