Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default need suggestion for a first course appetizer

I'm having a dinner party this weekend and need a suggestion for a first
course appetizer. The menu so far is,

Course 1: ???
Course 2: wild rice soup
Course 3: baked pork roast with rosemary, baked carrots and potato salad
Course 4: lemon cheesecake

I'm really not sure if these things go together, I picked what I knew I
could make and what turns out well. Thanks for your suggestions.

-Bill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bill wrote:
> I'm having a dinner party this weekend and need a suggestion for a first
> course appetizer. The menu so far is,
>
> Course 1: ???
> Course 2: wild rice soup
> Course 3: baked pork roast with rosemary, baked carrots and potato salad
> Course 4: lemon cheesecake
>
> I'm really not sure if these things go together, I picked what I knew I
> could make and what turns out well. Thanks for your suggestions.
>
> -Bill

I would serve the soup first (perhaps not a starchy soup since your
veggies in the next course are both sort of starchy) and call it a day.
I don't know if you're just trying to add courses, but I don't see where
it will improve the meal much.
You have nothing green going on... could you sub something green for
those carrots? Or in addition to the carrots?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Bill > wrote:

> I'm having a dinner party this weekend and need a suggestion for a first
> course appetizer. The menu so far is,

<snip>

> I'm really not sure if these things go together, I picked what I knew I
> could make and what turns out well. Thanks for your suggestions.

How about a vegetable platter with HVR ranch dressing as a dip. Original
recipe dry mix with buttermilk made by you instead of a bottle of it.
I'd include broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery and green onions.
Some olives and pickles on the side. I personally wouldn't dip the
olives and pickles.
Speaking of olives, maybe an antipasto dish. Easy enough.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Bill > wrote:

> I'm having a dinner party this weekend and need a suggestion for a first
> course appetizer. The menu so far is,
>
> Course 1: ???
> Course 2: wild rice soup
> Course 3: baked pork roast with rosemary, baked carrots and potato salad
> Course 4: lemon cheesecake
>
> I'm really not sure if these things go together, I picked what I knew I
> could make and what turns out well. Thanks for your suggestions.

Something green, maybe, since that's missing from your menu. Let's
see... sugar snap peas (or celery) stuffed with flavored cream cheese or
neufchatel; bacon wrapped asparagus spears since they are in season now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Appetizers:

The problem is not many things are quite in season right now.
You'll have to wait a few weeks for fresh favas to make fava
bean spread, and longer than that for good enough tomatoes
for a classic tomato/mozzarella/basil/olive oil/basalmic
antipasto. And a lettuce-based salad is straight out unless
you have better sources than I do.

But you're in luck as there is asparagus, which can be
cooked, then chilled, and served with a vinagrette.
Or beets are good right now, although you'd have to
roast, chill and dress those too. Add to this things
that need not be in season -- smoked fish, or good salumi -- and
you're in business.

And don't worry about upstaging the rest of your meal, as
it sounds pretty wonderful.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Salad, canapes, devilled eggs, sausage rolls.

--
Helen
in
"Bill" > wrote in message
> I'm having a dinner party this weekend and need a suggestion for a first
> course appetizer. The menu so far is,
>
> Course 1: ???
> Course 2: wild rice soup
> Course 3: baked pork roast with rosemary, baked carrots and potato salad
> Course 4: lemon cheesecake
>
> I'm really not sure if these things go together, I picked what I knew I
> could make and what turns out well. Thanks for your suggestions.
>
> -Bill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Van Van is offline

"Bill" > wrote in message
> I'm having a dinner party this weekend and need a suggestion for a first
> course appetizer. The menu so far is,
>
> Course 1: ???
> Course 2: wild rice soup
> Course 3: baked pork roast with rosemary, baked carrots and potato salad
> Course 4: lemon cheesecake

I'd definitely go with a green salad. Mixed field greens tossed with a
light raspberry vinaigrette, topped with cherry tomatoes and homemade
croutons.

BUT. . . you asked for an appetizer, so perhaps a portion of two large sea
scallops, lightly sautéed a mixture of green Thai chili paste, EVOO, minced
garlic & minced ginger. Or simply sautéed in butter, and served with a
warmed (peach, orange, apricot) marmalade?

Van

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, goomba38
@comcast.net says...
> > Course 1: ???
> > Course 2: wild rice soup
> > Course 3: baked pork roast with rosemary, baked carrots and potato salad
> > Course 4: lemon cheesecake
> >
> > I'm really not sure if these things go together, I picked what I knew I
> > could make and what turns out well. Thanks for your suggestions.
> >
> > -Bill

> I would serve the soup first (perhaps not a starchy soup since your
> veggies in the next course are both sort of starchy) and call it a day.
> I don't know if you're just trying to add courses, but I don't see where
> it will improve the meal much.

I agree. You could always make the "first course" be finger food that is
served with drinks before people go to the table.

--
Peter Aitken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 21, 11:18�pm, Bill > wrote:
> I'm having a dinner party this weekend and need a suggestion for a first
> course appetizer. *The menu so far is,
>
> Course 1: ???
> Course 2: wild rice soup
> Course 3: baked pork roast with rosemary, baked carrots and potato salad
> Course 4: lemon cheesecake
>
> I'm really not sure if these things go together, I picked what I knew I
> could make and what turns out well. *Thanks for your suggestions.

Nix the potato salad, just doesn't go with roast pork, mashed potato
instead, and hopefully you'll prepare a gravy from the pan drippings.
Doesn't really need an appetizer, pre dinner 2nis with pistachio nuts
should be appetizer enough... begin your meal with a small composed
garden salad or a citrusy fruit cup.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 21, 11:18?pm, Bill > wrote:
> I'm having a dinner party this weekend and need a suggestion for a first
> course appetizer. The menu so far is,
>
> Course 1: ???
> Course 2: wild rice soup
> Course 3: baked pork roast with rosemary, baked carrots and potato salad
> Course 4: lemon cheesecake
>
> I'm really not sure if these things go together, I picked what I knew I
> could make and what turns out well. Thanks for your suggestions.

Nix the potato salad, just doesn't go with roast pork, mashed potato
instead, and hopefully you'll prepare a gravy from the pan drippings.
Doesn't really need an appetizer, pre dinner 2nis with pistachio nuts
should be appetizer enough... begin your meal with a small composed
garden salad or a citrusy fruit cup.

Agreed with nixing the potato salad. How about a roasted beet salad to
begin? Goes well with everything else.

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 22, 2:56�pm, "TammyM" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
> On Mar 21, 11:18?pm, Bill > wrote:
>
> > I'm having a dinner party this weekend and need a suggestion for a first
> > course appetizer. The menu so far is,

> > Course 1: ???
> > Course 2: wild rice soup
> > Course 3: baked pork roast with rosemary, baked carrots and potato salad
> > Course 4: lemon cheesecake

> > I'm really not sure if these things go together, I picked what I knew I
> > could make and what turns out well. Thanks for your suggestions.

> Nix the potato salad, just doesn't go with roast pork, mashed potato
> instead, and hopefully you'll prepare a gravy from the pan drippings.
> Doesn't really need an appetizer, pre dinner 2nis with pistachio nuts
> should be appetizer enough... begin your meal with a small composed
> garden salad or a citrusy fruit cup.
>
> Agreed with nixing the potato salad. *How about a roasted beet salad to
> begin? *Goes well with everything else.

That's funny, was exactly what I was thinking; pickled beet/onion/
sliced egg on a bed of greens w/pistachio nut garnish... that's why I
suggested pistachio nuts with the 2nis, decided not to let them go.
But at least it won't be me on the queen of beet dirt's S list this
time. LOL

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Nix the potato salad, just doesn't go with roast pork, mashed potato
> instead, and hopefully you'll prepare a gravy from the pan drippings.
> Doesn't really need an appetizer, pre dinner 2nis with pistachio nuts
> should be appetizer enough... begin your meal with a small composed
> garden salad or a citrusy fruit cup.

> Agreed with nixing the potato salad. How about a roasted beet salad to
> begin? Goes well with everything else.
>
> TammyM

I always eat my salads after the main course. A soup seems like a good
starter to me, but I would make the soup a nice light broth based one
since the rest of the meal is a bit on the starchy/heavy side.
And lose the potato salad since to *me* that is picnic food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Nix the potato salad, just doesn't go with roast pork, mashed potato
> instead, and hopefully you'll prepare a gravy from the pan drippings.
> Doesn't really need an appetizer, pre dinner 2nis with pistachio nuts
> should be appetizer enough... begin your meal with a small composed
> garden salad or a citrusy fruit cup.

I agree about the potato salad, but I don't like potato salad so I don't
think it goes with anything. I like roasted potatoes with pork, and a tiny
sprinkle of crushed rosemary over to potatoes make them even nicer with
pork.

I also agree that soup with a nice roast pork with potatoes and vegetables
doesn't really need a first course.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:18:16 -0500, Bill > wrote:

>I'm having a dinner party this weekend and need a suggestion for a first
>course appetizer. The menu so far is,
>
>Course 1: ???
>Course 2: wild rice soup
>Course 3: baked pork roast with rosemary, baked carrots and potato salad
>Course 4: lemon cheesecake
>
>I'm really not sure if these things go together, I picked what I knew I
>could make and what turns out well. Thanks for your suggestions.

I like the idea of light finger food, with some green. Maybe some
broccoli, bell peppers, etc., with dill dip, with some red grapes.

I too question potato salad. Partly because I think mashed potatoes
and gravy when I think pork roast, but also I think potato salad seems
odd for this kind of meal.

What about a hot German potato salad?

Laurie