Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Brining Pork

Hello everyone:

I prepared a pork roast as in the recipe below. This is my first attempt
at brining pork and the proportions of salt and sugar were given to me
as being typical for a brining solution.

The roast was extremely tender and moist, and the meat had a pronounced
taste of salt, more than I prefer. My guests declared the pulled pork
sandwiches delicious, not commenting on the salt.

My question is: how do I control the resulting saltiness of the finished
meat when brining pork?

Is the brine over-salted? My impulse is to half the amount of salt, but
it is not clear to me whether this particular salt concentration of the
brine is critical to the brining process. I hesitate.

The meat was in the brine for twelve hours, will a shorter time in this
solution result in less saltiness, and will the salt taste be uniform
throughout the roast (this was uniform)?

I would appreciate suggestions on the techniques of brining pork.

Thank you.

Kit

Pulled Pork

Brine:

4 ounces of brown sugar
6 ounces pickling salt
1 quart water

4 pound Boston butt

Combine brown sugar, pickling salt, and water in plastic bag. Add Boston
butt making sure it is completely submerged in brine, cover, and let sit
in refrigerator for 12 hours.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Wrap meat in aluminum foil.
Cook for 30 minutes at 450 F.
Turn oven down and cook for 10 to12 hours, maintaining a temperature of
210 degrees F.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I would appreciate suggestions on the techniques of brining pork.

It's a lot of salt and not much water. I've used 1 cup per 2 gallons of
water/stock to brine turkeys and chicken. Never had a saltiness problem. I
think your brine may be too strong. Cut the salt by half and try it again.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kitamun wrote:
> Hello everyone:
>
> I prepared a pork roast as in the recipe below. This is my first
> attempt at brining pork and the proportions of salt and sugar were
> given to me as being typical for a brining solution.
>
> The roast was extremely tender and moist, and the meat had a
> pronounced taste of salt, more than I prefer. My guests declared the
> pulled pork sandwiches delicious, not commenting on the salt.
>
> My question is: how do I control the resulting saltiness of the
> finished meat when brining pork?
>
> Is the brine over-salted? My impulse is to half the amount of salt,
> but it is not clear to me whether this particular salt concentration
> of the brine is critical to the brining process. I hesitate.
>
> The meat was in the brine for twelve hours, will a shorter time in
> this solution result in less saltiness, and will the salt taste be
> uniform throughout the roast (this was uniform)?

First off, brining isn't needed for a boston butt. It's a waste of time and
brine. The meat has plenty of internal and external fat, along with abundant
connective tissue other collagens that will keep a low-roasted boston butt
full of moisture.

Excess saltiness is explainable if you did not do a thorough soaking rinse
after pulling from the brine. Next time skip the brine and do a rub just
prior to putting the butt into the oven to roast. No foil is needed.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

kitamun wrote:

> My question is: how do I control the resulting saltiness of the finished
> meat when brining pork?

Simple. Don't bother using a brine on pulled pork.

Brining is only useful when to make the end results more
moist. Eye of loin, tenderloin, etc, are candidates for
this.

Pork shoulder doesn't (or shouldn't) need any help
in this department. If it does you're not using very
high quality meat or you're not cooking it properly.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kitamun wrote on Sun, 18 Feb 2007 13:29:13 -0800:

k> I prepared a pork roast as in the recipe below. This is my
k> first attempt at brining pork and the proportions of salt
k> and sugar were given to me as being typical for a brining
k> solution.
k> My question is: how do I control the resulting saltiness of
k> the finished meat when brining pork?

k> Is the brine over-salted? My impulse is to half the amount
k> of salt, but it is not clear to me whether this particular
k> salt concentration of the brine is critical to the brining
k> process. I hesitate.

k> I would appreciate suggestions on the techniques of brining
k> pork.

I've never brined pork but the salt concentration I have used
successfully for turkey breast is 1 1/2 cups kosher salt (do not
substitute regular salt) and 1 cup of sugar in 1 1/2 gallons of
water. Frankly, I can't see why the salt has to be Kosher but
there might be a greater weight of salt in a cup of regular
salt.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> ..... Frankly, I can't see why the salt has to be Kosher but
> there might be a greater weight of salt in a cup of regular
> salt.

You're right, it doesn't. But measure for measure, the amount of salt is not
equal between the two grinds, so you'd want to go by weight instead of
volume. Or determine what the measured volume equivalent might be.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 18, 3:29 pm, kitamun > wrote:

> I would appreciate suggestions on the techniques of brining pork.

My formula is 1/4 cup of kosher salt (1-3/4 ounces on my kitchen
scale) and 1/4 cup of brown sugar (1-1/4 ounces) per quart of mixed
(or not) water/broth/apple juice.

As others have said, you may have a brine that's somewhat strong. I
use these proportions for everything from shrimp (30 minutes or less)
to very lean pork (overnight, sometimes.) Keep experimenting!

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hello Reg:

> Simple. Don't bother using a brine on pulled pork.
>
> Brining is only useful when to make the end results more
> moist. Eye of loin, tenderloin, etc, are candidates for
> this.

I understand. I am using a very slow oven to cook boston butt (cycles
from 190 F. 220 F.) for eight hours or more. I assumed brining would be
a barrier against dehydration from the long cooking. Tonight I will cook
another boston butt unbrined and uncovered.

Thanks for the instructions.

Kit

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hello James:

> I've never brined pork but the salt concentration I have used
> successfully for turkey breast is 1 1/2 cups kosher salt (do not
> substitute regular salt) and 1 cup of sugar in 1 1/2 gallons of
> water.

I am noting your measurements for future reference.

Thank you.

Kit

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--

Hello David:

> My formula is 1/4 cup of kosher salt (1-3/4 ounces on my kitchen
> scale) and 1/4 cup of brown sugar (1-1/4 ounces) per quart of mixed
> (or not) water/broth/apple juice.
>
> As others have said, you may have a brine that's somewhat strong. I
> use these proportions for everything from shrimp (30 minutes or less)
> to very lean pork (overnight, sometimes.) Keep experimenting!

I've noted your measurements for future reference. I'm convinced there
was too much salt in my brine. My future brining will be less salty.

Thanks for the note.

Kit

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

kitamun wrote:

> I understand. I am using a very slow oven to cook boston butt (cycles
> from 190 F. 220 F.) for eight hours or more. I assumed brining would be
> a barrier against dehydration from the long cooking. Tonight I will cook
> another boston butt unbrined and uncovered.

Sounds good. The lower temp will actually help, not hinder,
moisture retention.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hello,

I ran into your message accidentally while searching information
regarding Dehydration. I read an article at
http://www.medical-health-care-infor...ehydration.asp
Article says "Dehydration means your body does not have as much water
and fluids as it should. Dehydration can be caused by losing too much
fluid, not drinking enough water or fluids, or both. Vomiting and
diarrhea are common causes.

Infants and children are more susceptible to dehydration than adults
because of their smaller body weights and higher turnover of water and
electrolytes. The elderly and those with illnesses are also at higher
risk.

Drinking fluids is usually sufficient for mild dehydration. It is
better to have frequent, small amounts of fluid (using a teaspoon or
syringe for an infant or child) rather than trying to force large
amounts of fluid at one time. Drinking too much fluid at once can
bring on more vomiting.

Electrolyte solutions or freezer pops are especially effective. These
are available at pharmacies. Sport drinks contain a lot of sugar and
can cause or worsen diarrhea. In infants and children, avoid using
water as the primary replacement fluid."

I think above information is helpful.

Regards
Monica

On Feb 19, 4:34 am, kitamun > wrote:
> Hello Reg:
>
> > Simple. Don't bother using a brine on pulled pork.

> > Brining is only useful when to make the end results more
> > moist. Eye of loin, tenderloin, etc, are candidates for
> > this.

> I understand. I am using a very slow oven to cook boston butt (cycles
> from 190 F. 220 F.) for eight hours or more. I assumed brining would be
> a barrier againstdehydrationfrom the long cooking. Tonight I will cook
> another boston butt unbrined and uncovered.
>
> Thanks for the instructions.
>
> Kit

brining pork shoulder? [email protected] Barbecue 3 25-08-2005 04:52 AM
Brining Pork Loins? Camperz4 General Cooking 12 21-01-2005 01:11 AM
Brining Pork Loins? Camperz4 General Cooking 0 17-01-2005 12:43 AM
Brining Pork Butt Dave Bugg Barbecue 10 27-07-2004 07:53 AM
brining Pork Loin? Bill Kasting Barbecue 11 28-11-2003 04:37 PM