Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Bugg Dave Bugg is offline

Default Brining Pork

kitamun wrote:
> Hello everyone:
>
> I prepared a pork roast as in the recipe below. This is my first
> attempt at brining pork and the proportions of salt and sugar were
> given to me as being typical for a brining solution.
>
> The roast was extremely tender and moist, and the meat had a
> pronounced taste of salt, more than I prefer. My guests declared the
> pulled pork sandwiches delicious, not commenting on the salt.
>
> My question is: how do I control the resulting saltiness of the
> finished meat when brining pork?
>
> Is the brine over-salted? My impulse is to half the amount of salt,
> but it is not clear to me whether this particular salt concentration
> of the brine is critical to the brining process. I hesitate.
>
> The meat was in the brine for twelve hours, will a shorter time in
> this solution result in less saltiness, and will the salt taste be
> uniform throughout the roast (this was uniform)?

First off, brining isn't needed for a boston butt. It's a waste of time and
brine. The meat has plenty of internal and external fat, along with abundant
connective tissue other collagens that will keep a low-roasted boston butt
full of moisture.

Excess saltiness is explainable if you did not do a thorough soaking rinse
after pulling from the brine. Next time skip the brine and do a rub just
prior to putting the butt into the oven to roast. No foil is needed.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com