Bill Kasting

Default brining Pork Loin?

I will be smoking a couple of Turkey Breasts this Thanksgiving and plan to try
brining them overnight as was discussed here last week.

I'm also going to smoke a pork loin. Should I brine it as well?

Thanks for any advice.

Bill Kasting

BOB

Bill Kasting > typed:
> I will be smoking a couple of Turkey Breasts this Thanksgiving and plan to try
> brining them overnight as was discussed here last week.
>
> I'm also going to smoke a pork loin. Should I brine it as well?
>

> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Bill Kasting

No. Butterfly it and stuff it. Then cook at about 350 to 400 with smoke chunks
until internal is about 125, wrap it in foil and place in a (warm) cooler for
about an hour. Then slice and serve. It'll be the juiciest you've ever had.

stuffing
provolone cheese
fresh spinach
prosciotto (sp)
crushed garlic
fresh rosemary sprigs
fresh ground black pepper
Tie back together and season the outside with salt and more freshly ground black
pepper and paprika

BOB

" BOB" > wrote:
> Bill Kasting > typed:
> > []
> > I'm also going to smoke a pork loin. Should I brine it as well?
> >

> No. Butterfly it and stuff it.[ . . . ]
> stuffing
> provolone cheese
> fresh spinach
> prosciotto (sp)
> crushed garlic
> fresh rosemary sprigs
> fresh ground black pepper
> Tie back together and season the outside with salt and more freshly
> ground black pepper and paprika

Anybody stuffs with provolone and prosciutto (sp) as all right in my book!

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
BOB

n_cramer typed:
> " BOB" > wrote:
>> Bill Kasting > typed:
>>> []
>>> I'm also going to smoke a pork loin. Should I brine it as well?
>>>

>> No. Butterfly it and stuff it.[ . . . ]
>> stuffing
>> provolone cheese
>> fresh spinach
>> prosciotto (sp)
>> crushed garlic
>> fresh rosemary sprigs
>> fresh ground black pepper
>> Tie back together and season the outside with salt and more freshly
>> ground black pepper and paprika
>>

> Anybody stuffs with provolone and prosciutto (sp) as all right in my book!

LOL
Wasn't too long ago I learned this fantastic plan. Got it from Steve @
www.ask-a-butcher.com

BOB

" BOB" > wrote:
> n_cramer typed:
> []
> >>

> > Anybody stuffs with provolone and prosciutto (sp) as all right in my
> > book!
> >

> LOL
> Wasn't too long ago I learned this fantastic plan. Got it from Steve @
> www.ask-a-butcher.com

I think it's called 'saltonboca' in Italian. Veal, IIRC, is the meat.

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
- John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"
BOB

Bill Kasting typed:
> BOB
> says...
>>

>> You are welcome
>>
>> BOB
>> PS you are talking about the pork loin (larger and less costly) and not the
>> tenderloin (much smaller and more costly)?
>>

> Yes, a larger loin--although with the bone removed. It has kind of become a
> tradition around here that pulled pork and ribs are for the summer holidays and
> a loin or ham along with turkey are smoked for the winter ones.
>
> I thought the brining of turkey breasts sounded very interesting and plan to
> give it a try. Sounds like it probably wont help pork though. I might try
> stuffing it after all...

You won't be sorry. Just don't over cook.

BOB
save the proscuito and better cheeses for yourself <eg>

Jill

"Bill Kasting" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I will be smoking a couple of Turkey Breasts this Thanksgiving and plan to

try
> brining them overnight as was discussed here last week.
>
> I'm also going to smoke a pork loin. Should I brine it as well?
>

> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Bill Kasting

Just for the heck of it you might try brining the pork roast one time and
see for yourself.
I have brined both bone in and boneless pork roasts that I have then
roasted in the oven. They turned out extremely moist and tender. A general
rule of thumb for brining is that it is a good method to use to add moisture
to NON red meat. In other words, great for chicken, turkey and pork, not
good for beef.
Jill

Jill

"Bill Kasting" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I will be smoking a couple of Turkey Breasts this Thanksgiving and plan to

try
> brining them overnight as was discussed here last week.
>
> I'm also going to smoke a pork loin. Should I brine it as well?
>

> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Bill Kasting

PS
There is nothing stopping you from brining AND stuffing

butch burton

"Jill" > wrote in message >. ..
> "Bill Kasting" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > I will be smoking a couple of Turkey Breasts this Thanksgiving and plan to

> try
> > brining them overnight as was discussed here last week.
> >
> > I'm also going to smoke a pork loin. Should I brine it as well?
> >

> > Thanks for any advice.
> >
> > Bill Kasting
> >

> PS
> There is nothing stopping you from brining AND stuffing

Great thread-will try with 1/2 a boneless loin being brining and
stuffed and the other half just stuffed. Plan to do in a smoker at
about 225F. Think I will butterfly it on the muscle side (not fat
side) and then stuff and then tie it with cotton string.

Until the beef prices approach reality-I will be experimenting with
the other white meat.

Thanks all

Pork loin for pulled pork? Jnospam[_1_] General Cooking 7 06-03-2007 03:42 PM
Brining Pork kitamun General Cooking 11 19-02-2007 05:01 AM
Brining Pork Loin -- Thanksgiving results Bill Kasting Barbecue 4 30-11-2003 10:59 PM