Camperz4

Default Brining Pork Loins?

I bought a pack of pork loins from Costco. Sliced them in half because they
are sooo thick. Since they are so lean I wondered if brining them would make
them juicier? I love what brining does to my turkeys. Has anyone tried this?
And if so, what brining solution did you use and for how long did you brine.

Thanks in advance, Miriam

CDC

I've brined pork tenderloin before and it was fantastic.

Cindy

"Camperz4" > wrote in message
>I bought a pack of pork loins from Costco. Sliced them in half because they
> are sooo thick. Since they are so lean I wondered if brining them would
> make
> them juicier? I love what brining does to my turkeys. Has anyone tried
> this?
> And if so, what brining solution did you use and for how long did you
> brine.
>
> Thanks in advance, Miriam

CDC

"Camperz4" > wrote in message
>I bought a pack of pork loins from Costco. Sliced them in half because they
> are sooo thick. Since they are so lean I wondered if brining them would
> make
> them juicier? I love what brining does to my turkeys. Has anyone tried
> this?
> And if so, what brining solution did you use and for how long did you
> brine.
>
> Thanks in advance, Miriam

Edwin Pawlowski

"Camperz4" > wrote in message
>I bought a pack of pork loins from Costco. Sliced them in half because they
> are sooo thick. Since they are so lean I wondered if brining them would
> make
> them juicier? I love what brining does to my turkeys. Has anyone tried
> this?
> And if so, what brining solution did you use and for how long did you
> brine.
>
> Thanks in advance, Miriam

This was for chops but should work as well with loins. One way to keep pork
moist is to keep them thick and don't overcook them.
42 Degrees' Cider-Cured Pork Chops

Ingredients:

4 center-cut pork loin chops, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches thick
Olive oil
Brine
4 cups water
2 cups hard cider
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
10 whole peppercorns
4 bay leaves
1/2 bunch fresh thyme
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
1 apple, peeled and chopped

Instructions: To make the brine: Combine all brine ingredients in a
saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then remove from heat, and let
cool. When cool, refrigerate until cold.

Add the pork chops to the cold brine. Weight with a plate if necessary to
keep the chops completely submerged. Refrigerate for at least 1 day or up to
2 days.

To cook: Remove the chops from the brine and pat them dry. Heat 2 skillets
over moderately high heat. Add just enough oil to coat the bottom of each
skillet. When the skillets are hot, add
the chops and reduce heat to moderately low. Cook for 10 minutes, then turn
and cook until the chops are no longer pink at the bone, about 10 minutes
longer.

Serves 4. The calories and other nutrients absorbed from brines vary and are
difficult to estimate. Variables include the type of food, brining time and
amount of surface area. Therefore, these recipes contain no analysis.

Jimmy G

I but whole loins or Costco's loin chops, too.

I NEVER have dry pork, & grill them on top of the stove, BBQ, or in my
broiler. Grill at a lower heat, or broil a bit further from the flame.
Cook them until there's still a bit of 'give' in the meat when you press on
the top.

A 'slight' pinkish tone doesn't mean you'll die...just have juicier pork.

Arri London

Bubbabob wrote:

> "Camperz4" > wrote:
>
> > I bought a pack of pork loins from Costco. Sliced them in half because
> > they are sooo thick. Since they are so lean I wondered if brining them
> > would make them juicier? I love what brining does to my turkeys. Has
> > anyone tried this? And if so, what brining solution did you use and
> > for how long did you brine.
> >
> > Thanks in advance, Miriam
> >

> Here's what I do:

<snip recipe>

> Remove pork roast from cure; discarding cure solution. Gently pat pork
> dry with paper towels. Place roast over drip pan and cook over indirect
> heat using natural lump charcoal and some good chunks of smoking wood
> (I'm using plum lately) at between 300F and 350F until thermometer
> inserted reads 145 degrees.
>
> Remove from grill and slice.

How do you like the plum wood for smoking meat? We have a lot of plum
trimmings from our tree and was considering using that way.
Arri London

Bubbabob wrote:

> "Camperz4" > wrote:
>
> > I bought a pack of pork loins from Costco. Sliced them in half because
> > they are sooo thick. Since they are so lean I wondered if brining them
> > would make them juicier? I love what brining does to my turkeys. Has
> > anyone tried this? And if so, what brining solution did you use and
> > for how long did you brine.
> >
> > Thanks in advance, Miriam
> >

> Here's what I do:

<snip recipe>

> Remove pork roast from cure; discarding cure solution. Gently pat pork
> dry with paper towels. Place roast over drip pan and cook over indirect
> heat using natural lump charcoal and some good chunks of smoking wood
> (I'm using plum lately) at between 300F and 350F until thermometer
> inserted reads 145 degrees.
>
> Remove from grill and slice.

How do you like the plum wood for smoking meat? We have a lot of plum
trimmings from our tree and was considering using that way.
Arri London

Bubbabob wrote:

> Arri London > wrote:
>

> > How do you like the plum wood for smoking meat? We have a lot of plum
> > trimmings from our tree and was considering using that way.
> >

> It works great. It's that purple-leaved fruitless ornamental plum that
> never lives as long as people think it will. This one died at the Med
> School and I got the groundskeepers to give it to me rather than run it
> through a chipper for mulch. I've been using apple primarily for several
> years and this is as good or better. I've used it on pork and chicken with
> equal success. I haven't tried a brisket yet as brisket prices have been
> outrageous for the last few months.

Sounds good. Our tree is a fruited sort. I've been taking it apart the
last few years in preparation for taking off one trunk. The trimmings
are at least two years old. Old enough for smoking meat?
Arri London

Bubbabob wrote:

> Arri London > wrote:
>

> > How do you like the plum wood for smoking meat? We have a lot of plum
> > trimmings from our tree and was considering using that way.
> >

> It works great. It's that purple-leaved fruitless ornamental plum that
> never lives as long as people think it will. This one died at the Med
> School and I got the groundskeepers to give it to me rather than run it
> through a chipper for mulch. I've been using apple primarily for several
> years and this is as good or better. I've used it on pork and chicken with
> equal success. I haven't tried a brisket yet as brisket prices have been
> outrageous for the last few months.

Sounds good. Our tree is a fruited sort. I've been taking it apart the
last few years in preparation for taking off one trunk. The trimmings
are at least two years old. Old enough for smoking meat?

Arri London

Bubbabob wrote:

> Arri London > wrote:
>

> > Sounds good. Our tree is a fruited sort. I've been taking it apart the
> > last few years in preparation for taking off one trunk. The trimmings
> > are at least two years old. Old enough for smoking meat?
> >

> Way old enough. I wouldn't let it go another year.

OK ty. What happens? Does the wood get toxic for food use?
Arri London

Bubbabob wrote:

> Arri London > wrote:
>

> > OK ty. What happens? Does the wood get toxic for food use?
> >

> The smoke loses its flavor when the wood is too old or too dry. It won't
> get toxic, just pointless.

LOL! Fair enough. TY
Arri London

Bubbabob wrote:

> Arri London > wrote:
>

> > OK ty. What happens? Does the wood get toxic for food use?
> >

> The smoke loses its flavor when the wood is too old or too dry. It won't
> get toxic, just pointless.

LOL! Fair enough. TY