Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default proportions in homous

i have a tin of chick peas that i thought i would put in the blender and
then mix with some tahini (sesame paste) to make homous. would anyone have
an idea to give a novice what proportion of chick peas to sesame to make a
spread for bread please? (also if i put some garlic in should i fry it
first or just put some in raw?) thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 10, 4:39 pm, "JWBH" > wrote:
> i have a tin of chick peas that i thought i would put in the blender and
> then mix with some tahini (sesame paste) to make homous. would anyone have
> an idea to give a novice what proportion of chick peas to sesame to make a
> spread for bread please? (also if i put some garlic in should i fry it
> first or just put some in raw?) thanks

Try a quick google for hummus. There are a lot of good recipes out
there. Definitely raw garlic.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JWBH > wrote:

> i have a tin of chick peas that i thought i would put in the blender and
> then mix with some tahini (sesame paste) to make homous. would anyone have
> an idea to give a novice what proportion of chick peas to sesame to make a
> spread for bread please? (also if i put some garlic in should i fry it
> first or just put some in raw?) thanks

As you probably know, there is more to hummus than just chick peas and
tahini. Also, to a very large extent, such proportions are a matter of
personal taste. That said, and having in mind the above, I'd start with
1 1/3 cups of dried, or 2 cups drained canned chickpeas to 1 cup tahini
paste. Then consider the other ingredients, such as water, salt,
garlic, and lemon juice.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> JWBH > wrote:
>
>> i have a tin of chick peas that i thought i would put in the blender
>> and then mix with some tahini (sesame paste) to make homous. would
>> anyone have an idea to give a novice what proportion of chick peas
>> to sesame to make a spread for bread please? (also if i put some
>> garlic in should i fry it first or just put some in raw?) thanks

> As you probably know, there is more to hummus than just chick peas and
> tahini. Also, to a very large extent, such proportions are a matter
> of personal taste. That said, and having in mind the above, I'd
> start with 1 1/3 cups of dried, or 2 cups drained canned chickpeas to
> 1 cup tahini paste. Then consider the other ingredients, such as
> water, salt, garlic, and lemon juice.
>
> Victor

That's a LOT of tahini for 2 cups of cooked chick peas. (Although is there
such a thing as too much tahini? <G>) For one can of chick peas, I'd say
try 1 or 2 cloves of raw garlic, 1/4 cup each tahini and good virgin olive
oil, maybe 1/8th cup warm water, the juice of one lemon, and about 1/2 to 1
tsp freshly ground cumin. Process all of the above in a food processor until
smooth, add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Here's a good place to start:

1 cup chick peas
1/2 cup tahini
1 clove garlic
3 table spoons lemon juice
pinch cayanne pepper

Put the whole lot into a food processor and blend till smooth.

To cut the fat, you can also replace some of the tahini with sour cream.
Delicious.

"JWBH" > wrote in message
>i have a tin of chick peas that i thought i would put in the blender and
>then mix with some tahini (sesame paste) to make homous. would anyone have
>an idea to give a novice what proportion of chick peas to sesame to make a
>spread for bread please? (also if i put some garlic in should i fry it
>first or just put some in raw?) thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>"JWBH" > wrote in message
>>i have a tin of chick peas that i thought i would put in the blender and
>>then mix with some tahini (sesame paste) to make homous. would anyone have
>>an idea to give a novice what proportion of chick peas to sesame to make a
>>spread for bread please? (also if i put some garlic in should i fry it
>>first or just put some in raw?) thanks

>On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 15:53:26 GMT, "**~~**~~**" > wrote:
>

>Here's a good place to start:
>

>1 cup chick peas
>1/2 cup tahini
>1 clove garlic
>3 table spoons lemon juice
>pinch cayanne pepper
>
>Put the whole lot into a food processor and blend till smooth.
>
>To cut the fat, you can also replace some of the tahini with sour cream.
>Delicious.

Looks close to what I make. I use a can of drained chickpeas
and only 3 tablespoons tahini. I do add a little cumin and more
garlic.
It's a fun recipe to play with.
Thanks for the sour cream idea for cutting some of the fat. I think
I'll try a batch with some non fat yoghurt to replace some of the oil.

Koko

--
New blog in progress
http://kokoscorner.blogspot.com