Posted to rec.food.cooking
Victor Sack[_1_] Victor Sack[_1_] is offline

Default proportions in homous

JWBH > wrote:

> i have a tin of chick peas that i thought i would put in the blender and
> then mix with some tahini (sesame paste) to make homous. would anyone have
> an idea to give a novice what proportion of chick peas to sesame to make a
> spread for bread please? (also if i put some garlic in should i fry it
> first or just put some in raw?) thanks

As you probably know, there is more to hummus than just chick peas and
tahini. Also, to a very large extent, such proportions are a matter of
personal taste. That said, and having in mind the above, I'd start with
1 1/3 cups of dried, or 2 cups drained canned chickpeas to 1 cup tahini
paste. Then consider the other ingredients, such as water, salt,
garlic, and lemon juice.

Victor