RindaRinda

Default Dried chili proportions in mole

Hello,

I have many dried guajillo chilis, about 5-6oz, one dried ancho, and
about 3oz of dried pasillas. I have made Mole Paste #1 (from The Mole
Page) twice, but it calls for mostly ancho chilis, which I cannot get
on short notice because I am in Japan.

Can I make mole with just the above peppers? If so, in what
proportion?

Also, can the mole be served as a sauce on the side in case of the
presence of extremely picky people at my dinner party?

Linda
Rolly

> Can I make mole with just the above peppers? If so, in what
> proportion?

Pasillas are often used along with anchos, so using them will be no
problem. I have never tried mole with guajillos. They are a good bit
hotter than anchos, so you might want to go easy with them if heat is
an issue.

> Also, can the mole be served as a sauce on the side in case of the
> presence of extremely picky people at my dinner party?

Yes. I have done this. It works OK,

Rolly