Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Puistonen Janet Puistonen is offline

Default proportions in homous

Victor Sack wrote:
> JWBH > wrote:
>
>> i have a tin of chick peas that i thought i would put in the blender
>> and then mix with some tahini (sesame paste) to make homous. would
>> anyone have an idea to give a novice what proportion of chick peas
>> to sesame to make a spread for bread please? (also if i put some
>> garlic in should i fry it first or just put some in raw?) thanks

> As you probably know, there is more to hummus than just chick peas and
> tahini. Also, to a very large extent, such proportions are a matter
> of personal taste. That said, and having in mind the above, I'd
> start with 1 1/3 cups of dried, or 2 cups drained canned chickpeas to
> 1 cup tahini paste. Then consider the other ingredients, such as
> water, salt, garlic, and lemon juice.
>
> Victor

That's a LOT of tahini for 2 cups of cooked chick peas. (Although is there
such a thing as too much tahini? <G>) For one can of chick peas, I'd say
try 1 or 2 cloves of raw garlic, 1/4 cup each tahini and good virgin olive
oil, maybe 1/8th cup warm water, the juice of one lemon, and about 1/2 to 1
tsp freshly ground cumin. Process all of the above in a food processor until
smooth, add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste