Old 19-12-2006, 07:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How early can I buy my prime rib?

Mitch wrote:
How early can I buy them and keep them in the fridge, if I plan to
cook them on Christmas?

Christmas Eve/Day is only 5/6 days away. The roasts put out a few days
from now won't be any fresher, they'll all be from the same shipment of
cryo. Buy now, and season now to allow fragrance from evaporating
volatile oils to penetrate (Penzeys English Prime Rib Rub is excellent,
I just add lots of extra cracked black pepper)... place on rack in
roasting pan, meat draped with clean plastic with opening at bottom and
leave in fridge (your fridge is just as good at the one in the store,
probably better). When it's time all you gotta do is put it into the
oven (remove plastic naturally). Buy the largest roast you can use, do
not have it cut in two... the larger the roast the better it cooks up
(cold rib roast is excellent, so are the bones re-roasted). Do not buy
extra to freeze, never freeze prime rib, or any other tender cuts...
then you're just wasting your money... if you live in the US there will
be tender beef available 24/7, and always a cut or three on sale.

Old 19-12-2006, 08:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

A prime rib roast is USDA Prime. Anything else is a standing rib roast.
Prime rib roast will cost way more than $11/lb.

Yeah, I meant standing rib roast.

Old 19-12-2006, 11:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

If you have confidence in your local butcher, support them!

If your local butcher has "USDA Prime" standing rib roast, buy that.
The butcher's is a bargain. If the supermarket or butchers beef
is less than USDA Prime (Choice, Select, ...) buy the best marbled.

I doubt "Prime Rib" has much to do with USDA Prime.
Prime rib was eaten in England before the USDA, or the USA. IMO.
But now, USDA Prime is as rare as a local butcher.

Dave S

Old 19-12-2006, 11:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave S" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
If your local butcher has "USDA Prime" standing rib roast, buy that.
The butcher's is a bargain. If the supermarket or butchers beef
is less than USDA Prime (Choice, Select, ...) buy the best marbled.

I doubt "Prime Rib" has much to do with USDA Prime.
Prime rib was eaten in England before the USDA, or the USA. IMO.
But now, USDA Prime is as rare as a local butcher.

Dave S

If you have confidence in your local butcher, support them!

My local butcher went out of business. A month later, I found him working in
the meat department of our biggest grocery chain, Wegman's. Fortunately, he
hasn't forgotten anything. I can still get great advice from him when I have
some strange recipe in mind.

Old 19-12-2006, 11:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

My local butcher went out of business. A month later, I found him
working in the meat department of our biggest grocery chain,
Wegman's. Fortunately, he hasn't forgotten anything. I can still get
great advice from him when I have some strange recipe in mind.

Wegmans is a good place, and they do have USDA Prime, in the larger
stores, at top prices. I do find that even in my small, local Wegmans
that the meat department can be helpful.
On the other hand, I think their "normal" meat is overpriced,
and with the vacuum packaging they push, over packaged.

--
Dave S

Old 19-12-2006, 11:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave S" wrote

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

My local butcher went out of business. A month later, I found him working
in the meat department of our biggest grocery chain, Wegman's.
Fortunately, he hasn't forgotten anything. I can still get
great advice from him when I have some strange recipe in mind.

Wegmans is a good place, and they do have USDA Prime, in the larger
stores, at top prices.

That's where I'm picking up my Christmas prime rib roast on Friday.
Splurging.

nancy

Old 19-12-2006, 11:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave S wrote:
with the vacuum packaging they push, over packaged.

Describe this? I have always been annoyed by over packaged items but
can't say I've ever seen this problem in the meat department? I might
like more packaging there?
Old 20-12-2006, 12:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
Dave S wrote: with the vacuum packaging they push, over packaged.

Describe this? I have always been annoyed by over packaged items but
can't say I've ever seen this problem in the meat department? I might
like more packaging there?

There is a lot to like. Really, thinking about it, there is less
packaging, no foam tray, or blood diaper.

Have you seen Hormel pork tenderloin packaging? Or other thick plastic
vacuum packs? It's "cryovac"ed but in small sizes, not a whole beef
tenderloin: a filet mignon.
A gold foil effect on the label side, the meat is tightly vacuum
formed to the cut. As packaging, it is superior. If you are going to
store it, or if the store has to move it around, probably better.

http://www.wegmans.com/about/pressRo...keepsFresh.asp

"Best of all, perhaps, 'Keeps Fresh' meat costs no more. A strip steak
that used to sell for $7.99 per pound in a traditional Styrofoam tray
will sell for the same price in the new packaging".

I never saw a strip steak, or anything else sold side to side for a
comparison. What I see is a lot of strange, small cuts of meat,
at what seems to be high prices.

Wegmans is very good, but there is better meat locally, even in other
supermarkets. Unless you want USDA Prime, it's one of the few places in
Syracuse that have it consistently

--
Dave S

Old 20-12-2006, 03:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave S wrote:
Goomba38 wrote:
Dave S wrote: with the vacuum packaging they push, over packaged.

Describe this? I have always been annoyed by over packaged items but
can't say I've ever seen this problem in the meat department? I might
like more packaging there?

There is a lot to like. Really, thinking about it, there is less
packaging, no foam tray, or blood diaper.

Have you seen Hormel pork tenderloin packaging? Or other thick plastic
vacuum packs? It's "cryovac"ed but in small sizes, not a whole beef
tenderloin: a filet mignon.

I don't think I've seen this type packaging for smaller cuts other than
filet mignon. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it now.
Old 20-12-2006, 03:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Were you planning on buying the whole rib eye? If so, leave it in the
cryovac, it will stay fresher that way.

Old 20-12-2006, 04:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
I agree with you, but I really think we should wait for Sheldon to stumble
in here with the definitive answer.

Just how many xmasses do you want to wait for him to
have his first /correct/ answer?

--Blair

Old 20-12-2006, 12:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave S" wrote in message
news:0j%[email protected]
Goomba38 wrote:
[...]

Wegman's is good at fine tuning the selection at various stores. I shop at
three different stores, depending on where other errands take me, and the
meat selection is slightly different at each one. Other products, too. This
makes perfect sense.

Old 20-12-2006, 03:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Dave S" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
If your local butcher has "USDA Prime" standing rib roast, buy that.
The butcher's is a bargain. If the supermarket or butchers beef
is less than USDA Prime (Choice, Select, ...) buy the best marbled.

I doubt "Prime Rib" has much to do with USDA Prime.
Prime rib was eaten in England before the USDA, or the USA. IMO.
But now, USDA Prime is as rare as a local butcher.

Dave S

If you have confidence in your local butcher, support them!

My local butcher went out of business. A month later, I found him working in
the meat department of our biggest grocery chain, Wegman's. Fortunately, he
hasn't forgotten anything. I can still get great advice from him when I have
some strange recipe in mind.

Ok...Joe...give it up...which Wegmans??? Been to Skip's Meat Market?
I've been very happy with the service there.

Joanne

Prime Rib--again [email protected] General Cooking 1 18-01-2006 08:03 PM
Prime Rib [email protected] General Cooking 17 17-01-2006 06:19 PM
Prime Rib Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 25-02-2005 02:55 AM
Prime Rib PENMART01 General Cooking 12 07-07-2004 02:35 AM
Prime Rib on BBQ Doug Barbecue 7 18-06-2004 02:14 AM