Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Prime Rib

Got some friends I eat breakfast 2-3 x a week and want to cook up a good
Prime Rib for about 15-24 people...
what cut of meat do u use and how do u cook it and what goes well with Prime
Rib.....
Crusty
Posted to rec.food.cooking
readandpostrosie

talk to your butcher and ask when the next sale on PRIME RIB will be, plan
your party around that!

we serve HUGE baked potatoes, butter, sour cream with chives.
a great salad or roasted asparagus or both.

--

“i refuse to accept the view
that mankind is so tragically bound

i believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love
will have the final word”

martin luther king jr

> wrote in message
> Got some friends I eat breakfast 2-3 x a week and want to cook up a good
> Prime Rib for about 15-24 people...
> what cut of meat do u use and how do u cook it and what goes well with
> Prime
> Rib.....
> Crusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking
LT

Got some friends I eat breakfast 2-3 x a week and want to cook up a good
> Prime Rib for about 15-24 people...
> what cut of meat do u use and how do u cook it and what goes well with

Prime
> Rib.....
> Crusty

Standing rib roast which "they say" to figure 1/2 lb per person. Our family
we figure 1 per person, and of course that is pre cooked weight. That will
run you $6-$10 per lb. so it will be and expensive deal. You best have a
good sized oven to cook that much meat.

Larry T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

yea that or a sirloin tip
use to cook sirloin tips on a open rotisseri i had-----12-15# took me all
day....
the sauce was made out of
1 btl catsup
1 btl of soy? or worcester sauce?
and 1 btl of sauce that i got from a spanish store.....
the recipe came from the cook at the Mohegan Hotel in New London, Ct in the
early 70's
the power cords use to burn out every 3rd dinner......common easily replaced
used it about 30-40 times.....
will have to dust it off.....
will check around Hannaford's....I am sure they will fix me up one......
Caterers.....From what I see of it...most of us are better cooks.......
My idea of prime rib...16-18-and 22 oz with the bone in......on the
22......(Durgen Park on the wharf in Boston)
The guys are not in there prime so they cant eat one of them, and the women
more like 10 oz....with tea.....
Thanks
crusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wow....
didnt know the prices were so high......
we live in a small town.....
have a hannaford, and price chopper and a costco 30 mins away......and some
smaller stores nearby that specialize in native beef.....I like native beef,
better flavor but a smaller family spotty quality, and the high cost of
cutting and wraping drove me away unless i know of somebody who is cutting
up a beef......
probably do better with costco....
crusty
and there goes my dinner for the food shelf..........
Posted to rec.food.cooking
nancree

I am worried that you might be biting off more than you can chew.
Question: You say you have breakfast with this group? I hope you're
not planning this for breakfast--you'll be up all night. Assuming it's
for dinner, you'll be working all day. And that big a roast beef will
require two ovens, at least. And how will you check the temperature.
Why don't you change to ham? That's pretty much no-fail. Good luck to
you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
nancree

Prime Rib for about 15-24 people...
what cut of meat do u use and how do u cook it and what goes well with
Prime
Rib.....
Crusty

---------------------
You're making me nervous, Crusty. You don't know what cut of meat
Prime Rib is? It's Prime Rib!! Very expensive. And for 15-24
people!! Huge project

You're making me nervous, Crusty! Prime Rib (expensive!!) for up to 24
people?? The cost at the butcher's would be well over $100. A
regular restaurant would have trouble doing this. It would take a long
time in the oven--do you know how to calculate the time? And the
correct doneness? The huge oven space required? Heavy lifting? The
carving time alone would be substantial. Why don't you make a big pot
of beef stew instead? You could make it ahead and re-heat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

24 is ok but i have a small kitchen...set table up in living room..the oven
and refrigerator could handle it and if needed a big old roaster that hasnt
been used in a decade..... a huge turkey of more than 20 (30?) plus pounds
was cooked in it.....(roaster)
could reduce it to the saturday morning group and then maybe 10-12
people.....
thanks for ur help....appreciate all ur ideas.....
cost may do it in, and after all the ham, pork, chicken, venison, turkey,
hamburg and hot dogs....ready for some real meat.......a perch fry too much
work.......after catching, cleaning, cooking, but they would all love
it....other than the 3 frying pans, using paper plates, plastic flatware,
paper towels, not much cleaning up ....
a large piglet would be fun to cook, with a bunch of hippies....

if i find some cheap meat will have it....and since i live in dairy country
it's possible.......will ask around......maybe a corn fed cow........
crusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bobemeril

I get nervous making prime rib for 6 people- I have a daughter-in
-law that only eats well-done meat. I cannot make prime rib if she is
coming over. 24 people?? WOW.!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
nancree

other than the 3 frying pans, using paper plates, plastic flatware,
-------------------------------------
Paper plates for roast beef? It will be too juicy for that, I think.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 16 Jan 2006 06:41:33a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?

> Got some friends I eat breakfast 2-3 x a week and want to cook up a good
> Prime Rib for about 15-24 people...
> what cut of meat do u use and how do u cook it and what goes well with
> Prime Rib.....
> Crusty

First, check with your butcher. You need to buy a Standing Rib Roast aka
Prime Rib. It will be best if you can buy a *prime* grade cut, but *choice*
can also work. It won't be quite as tender.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Default User

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Mon 16 Jan 2006 06:41:33a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?
>
> > Got some friends I eat breakfast 2-3 x a week and want to cook up a
> > good Prime Rib for about 15-24 people...
> > what cut of meat do u use and how do u cook it and what goes well
> > with Prime Rib.....
> > Crusty
> >

> First, check with your butcher. You need to buy a Standing Rib Roast
> aka Prime Rib. It will be best if you can buy a prime grade cut, but
> choice can also work. It won't be quite as tender.

If he were to buy actual prime beef standing rib for 24 people he'd
better take out a second mortgage. That'd be one serious butcher's bill.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Bob (this one) wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Big-ass baked potatoes go best with PR. Broccoli for color contrast.

Creamed spinach is also a popular side with prime rib. -aem

Prime Rib? vex[_4_] Barbecue 15 08-01-2011 11:21 PM
Prime Rib Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 25-02-2005 02:55 AM
Prime Rib PENMART01 General Cooking 12 07-07-2004 02:35 AM
Prime Rib on BBQ Doug Barbecue 7 18-06-2004 02:14 AM
Prime Rib on a gas BBQ Doug General Cooking 5 16-06-2004 11:22 PM