PENMART01

Default Prime Rib

Prime Rib
From Southern Living
Tender and juicy, this roast is a crowd-pleaser any time of the year.
Prime rib is a showstopper, often the centerpiece of a holiday meal, but why
not enjoy it all year? It's especially delicious when slow cooked in a smoker
and subtly flavored by hickory.

Begin by finding the right roast. The "Prime" in prime rib actually refers to
the USDA grade of the meat, and many grocery stores don't carry Prime cuts.
Instead, look for a Choice rib roast (also known as a standing rib roast) with
marbling€”the white fat that runs through the meat€”distributed as evenly as
possible throughout.

Some folks insist that a USDA Prime rib roast is worth the occasional splurge
(and with prices starting around $20 per pound, it's definitely an indulgence).
You can order Prime meat from butchers such as Niman Ranch or Lobel's. When
your prime rib has finished cooking, two steps will keep the meat as moist and
tender as possible. First, let the roast stand at least 15 minutes. This
prevents the juices from running out when the meat is cut. Then, when you're
ready to serve the roast, slice across the grain of the meat. This makes the
dish even more tender.

Smoked Prime Rib

Hickory wood chunks
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons coarsely ground pepper
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 (6-pound) beef rib roast
1 1/2 cups dry red wine
1 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil

Soak wood chunks in water 1 hour.
Combine minced garlic and next 4 ingredients, and rub garlic mixture evenly
over beef roast.

Stir together dry red wine, red wine vinegar, and olive oil; set wine mixture
aside.

Prepare charcoal fire in smoker; let burn 15 to 20 minutes.

Drain wood chunks, and place on coals. Place water pan in smoker, and add water
to just below fill line. Place beef roast in center on lower food rack.
Gradually pour wine mixture over beef roast.

Cook beef roast, covered, 6 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into
thickest portion of beef roast registers 145° (medium), adding more water to
depth of fill line, if necessary. Remove beef roast from smoker, and let stand
15 minutes before slicing.

Southern Living, JULY 2002
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Reg

PENMART01 wrote:

> Prime Rib
> From Southern Living

145 F is overcooked for prime rib. It should be more like 135 F.

Snapper

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> Prime Rib
> From Southern Living
> Tender and juicy, this roast is a crowd-pleaser any time of the year.
> Prime rib is a showstopper, often the centerpiece of a holiday meal, but

why
> not enjoy it all year? It's especially delicious when slow cooked in a

smoker
> and subtly flavored by hickory.
>
> Begin by finding the right roast. The "Prime" in prime rib actually refers

> the USDA grade of the meat...

IIRC from culinary school, this is not the case. "Prime Rib" refers to the
cut consisting of the portion between the 6th and 13th ribs.

JimLane

PENMART01 wrote:

> Cook beef roast, covered, 6 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into
> thickest portion of beef roast registers 145° (medium),

An absolute travesty, medium prime rib.

jim

Bob (this one)

Snapper wrote:

> "PENMART01" > wrote in message
>
>> Prime Rib From Southern Living Tender and juicy, this roast is a
>> crowd-pleaser any time of the year. Prime rib is a showstopper,
>> often the centerpiece of a holiday meal, but why not enjoy it all
>> year? It's especially delicious when slow cooked in a smoker and
>> subtly flavored by hickory.
>>
>> Begin by finding the right roast. The "Prime" in prime rib
>> actually refers to the USDA grade of the meat...

> IIRC from culinary school, this is not the case.

Of course it's not the case. It's been cited dozens of times and
Shitwit Sheldon learns nothing unless he can find it in one or
another of the books he posts from or plagiarizes.

> "Prime Rib" refers to the cut consisting of the portion between the
> 6th and 13th ribs.

Of course.

But don't worry about it. Sheldon the blustery lackwit every now and
again dumps this same crap in here. He believes what he believes and
no matter the facts, science or authoritative sources, he keeps on
believing what he already believes.

But, hey, when his name was still Sheldon Katz before he decided to
hide behind a fake name while claiming it was real, he was in the U.S.
Navy as a *cook.* He actually cooked in the Navy where, back then, the
food was the best in the world. And he was a *cook* in the Navy. An
actual Navy cook and, lucky for him, it took no special previous
training to do that. It was absolutely magical. One day he was just an
ordinary asshole and the next day he was an asshole with the job of
cook. Magic, I tell you. I bet they cooked a lot of prime rib in those
glorious mess halls... ya think?

I bet he knows the lyrics to the Village People song, "In the Navy." I
can just see him now, fat old fart with a sailor suit strutting around
with his IV holder, slinging a prime rib and prancing while he
breathlessly sings with his "friends."

"Where can you find pleasure
Search the world for treasure
Learn science, technology
Where can you begin
To make your dreams all come true
On the land or on the sea..."

Yes, he was a "cook" in the Navy. <everybody sing> In the Navy...

No, seriously...

Pastorio

Paul M. Cook©®

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Snapper wrote:
>
> > "PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >
> >> Prime Rib From Southern Living Tender and juicy, this roast is a
> >> crowd-pleaser any time of the year. Prime rib is a showstopper,
> >> often the centerpiece of a holiday meal, but why not enjoy it all
> >> year? It's especially delicious when slow cooked in a smoker and
> >> subtly flavored by hickory.
> >>
> >> Begin by finding the right roast. The "Prime" in prime rib
> >> actually refers to the USDA grade of the meat...

> > IIRC from culinary school, this is not the case.

> Of course it's not the case. It's been cited dozens of times and
> Shitwit Sheldon learns nothing unless he can find it in one or
> another of the books he posts from or plagiarizes.
>
> > "Prime Rib" refers to the cut consisting of the portion between the
> > 6th and 13th ribs.

> Of course.
>
> But don't worry about it. Sheldon the blustery lackwit every now and
> again dumps this same crap in here. He believes what he believes and
> no matter the facts, science or authoritative sources, he keeps on
> believing what he already believes.
>
> But, hey, when his name was still Sheldon Katz before he decided to
> hide behind a fake name while claiming it was real, he was in the U.S.
> Navy as a *cook.* He actually cooked in the Navy where, back then, the
> food was the best in the world. And he was a *cook* in the Navy. An
> actual Navy cook and, lucky for him, it took no special previous
> training to do that. It was absolutely magical. One day he was just an
> ordinary asshole and the next day he was an asshole with the job of
> cook. Magic, I tell you. I bet they cooked a lot of prime rib in those
> glorious mess halls... ya think?
>
> I bet he knows the lyrics to the Village People song, "In the Navy." I
> can just see him now, fat old fart with a sailor suit strutting around
> with his IV holder, slinging a prime rib and prancing while he
> breathlessly sings with his "friends."
>
> "Where can you find pleasure
> Search the world for treasure
> Learn science, technology
> Where can you begin
> To make your dreams all come true
> On the land or on the sea..."
>
> Yes, he was a "cook" in the Navy. <everybody sing> In the Navy...

I loved the way the Muppet Show did that song. With the pigs all dressed up
as Vikings. It was hilarious.

Paul

PENMART01

>(janos petrik) writes:
>
>"Mr. Wizard" mimicked:
>>sqwertz@clueless spurts:

>>>Wrong.
>>>

>>You are 100% right SW. The prime SECTION of rib lies between the sixth and
>>twelfth rib.

>Prime refers to the USDA grade, not the individual cut.
>
>Anything less than prime is called a "standing rib roast".
>
>Ask any butcher. They can't call "USDA choice" beef "prime", even
>though it's a fine grade.

You're wasting your efforts... those two doofusses wouldn't know from prime if
it bit them on their KY jellied anuses, onliest meat they ever get close to is
each others tube steak... otherwise they're stupidmarket mystery meat mavens.

Prime Rib? vex[_4_] Barbecue 15 08-01-2011 11:21 PM
Prime Rib [email protected] General Cooking 17 17-01-2006 06:19 PM
Prime Rib Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 25-02-2005 02:55 AM
Prime Rib on BBQ Doug Barbecue 7 18-06-2004 02:14 AM
Prime Rib on a gas BBQ Doug General Cooking 5 16-06-2004 11:22 PM